Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Android 12 – anyone upgraded?
  • theomen

So I pre-ordered the Pixel Pro 6, the charger and a case. The phone and charger were due for delivery 28th/29th and the case late next month. I received notification yesterday of delivery today and sure enough the package was delivered this morning. Guess what though, the only bloody thing in the ridiculously oversized box was the case (not due for another 3/4 weeks) 🙁

andy5390

Been on the beta version for a couple of months, before a proper version came around.

Stand out thing for me was, the front camera face tracking that allows you to lie on your side, and stops the screen auto rotating ( I believe this is Pixel exclusive).

Also, in the email app, you can scroll the email icon (top right) to move between email accounts if you have more than one synced. Previously, it was a tap and select from the drop down menu. – might be an older thing, but I’ve just found it

jimmy

Its not long discovered the long-press for settings from the drag-down shortcuts menu (e.g. for WiFi). That was probably the most life changing discovery in 11, I’ve yet to have such a discovery in 12.

fettlin

Ooh ooh, me too! Ordered a Pixel 6 last night direct from Google, due for delivery tomorrow. Only boring grey std 6 available though, no Pro or other colours. Still got the headphone deal on, runs out tonight I think.

Currently on Galaxy S8 so should be a nice upgrade, still on android 10.

IHN

Well, updated to 12 last night on a Pixel 3a.

Other than the round corners on everything, the massive quick set buttons and the fact that I can’t have the widgets I want arranged as they were before on the homescreens, because the sizing seems to have changed, I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference.

stumpy01

Has anyone managed to get the “one handed operation” working?

You have to set it in gestures, but even though I’ve done that it doesn’t seem to work.
    I used to use a Lenovo specific similar thing on my old phone and I find it really useful.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Its not long discovered the long-press for settings from the drag-down shortcuts menu (e.g. for WiFi). That was probably the most life changing discovery in 11

That was available in 10 as well – at least it was on my pretty old OnePlus 6T [which has just updated to 11!!].

I’d be very tempted by a Pixel 6 but just can’t afford it at the moment.

neila

Pixel 6 due for delivery today, the headphone deal swung it for me. Been on a Pixel 3 for 3 years and it hasn’t missed a beat though the battery life is beginning to wane a little.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Dropped mine and put a wee crack in the glass on the back oops lol

Have ordered a case…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You can start doing your claims for the headphones now (if you pre-ordered at the beginning). Process isn’t too onerous

kayak23

Unfortunately I installed it in my pixel 3a the other day.

So far, it’s doing me head in!

Why do they add things on there that you cannot change? The whole appeal with android is supposed to be that you can do what you want with it.

This lock screen massive digital clock thing that’s two characters on top of each other is horrible.

The next ‘improvement’ seems to be that even though I’ve already got a clock widget arranged nicely where I want it with the features I want, I now HAVE to have another one top left and I can’t get rid… 😡

Then there’s the ENORMOUS white box for notifications when you pull down.
    Just horrible. Why do I need virtually the entire screen of that?

Not impressed at all.
    Always seems to be just changes for the sake of it. 😐

nixie

Always seems to be just changes for the sake of it

Welcome to IT. Emperor’s New clothes most of the time.

The date duplication is annoying. As is the fact that both the OS and clock have a digital wellbeing mode. They don’t talk to each other though. The new analogue clock faces are utter crap.

The notification box is better in dark mode.

kayak23

The notification box is better in dark mode.

Agree, but stw looks all goth.

bearnecessities

Why do they add things on there that you cannot change?

It’s especially annoying for the less tech savvy bunch – be that though old age or mental capabilities.

A device that can take an age to get someone to learn, but brings a heap of benefits when they do, that’s changed just for the sake of it because they won’t invest in security etc of older versions is very frustrating – and a sad reflection on google & apple.

My Dad’s no idiot, but he’s 75 FFS – that segment’s not on anyone’s radar though is it? Sod them, they’re old. Let’s change the way things are done and bully them through constant notifications to update and figure it out for themselves..

“But boss, how about if we invest a bit and say people can stay on their current version and we won’t update the visuals but will keep it up to date with security patches in the background? You know, some people depend on our OS and can’t deal with the change. I mean it’ll cost us .001% profit a year, but surely that’s the right thing to do?”

“George, you’re fired”

Edit: A lot of vulnerable people need their devices to access essential services, including their welfare state benefits- so basically their income. Changing the way their device works or is supported, or “buy another” is immoral. Google fails particularly spectacularly on this point. At least Apple supports their devices for a decent amount of time.

Okay, pointless rant over.

Murray

Not impressed by the enforced move from Android Auto (the standalone version for us people with old cars) to Google Maps. It’s all good apart from their being no way to start Audible from it when in driving mode.

The other big whinge is not being able to get at the calendar by tapping the date at the top of the home screen any more. Now, you can only get the weather that way.

Hopefully they’ll sort both out soon, other than that it’s OK.

Poopscoop

I’m liking 12 on my 3XL…BUT it’s killed off my Google Assistant rather annoyingly. Keeps on force closing just after I verbally ask it something.

Not done exhaustive googling as yet to see what’s going on though. It’s made me realise how much I use the assistant however!

nixie

Agree, but stw looks all goth

Stw in dark is bad, which is why I have that turned off.

Hadn’t noticed android auto had gone. Edit, it hasn’t on mine, still there.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Just got a notification that my freebie headphones are on the way.

Did see an article online saying they had run out of stock of them so were dishing out a different set (QC45 I think) and £75 google store vouchers.

I wonder what will appear?

scotroutes

Did see an article online saying they had run out of stock of them so were dishing out a different set (QC45 I think) and £75 google store vouchers.

The one I read referred to German buyers it I guess it could well be the same here. I did wonder how many Bose headphones they’d expected to shift.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Android 12 – anyone upgraded?’ is closed to new replies.