• This topic has 78 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by yiman.
Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Alps 2019 – where are you headed & what are you riding?
  • sootyandjim
    Free Member

I’m not going to the Alps, but I’m going to Michigan, which has loads of French-sounding places.

😉

I’ll be doing my first long Bikepacking ride on the 132km High Country Pathway near Gaylord.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7005013/high-country-pathway-imba-epic

muggomagic

Morzine for 3.5 days from 4th July. First time riding in the alps, so not really sure what to expect, but been watching plenty of videos on YouTube. I’ll be riding my 2018 Capra. Really really excited.

Northwind

4 days in les deux alps and a week in Alp d’Huez and then some mega-ava-something.

chrismac

A week in verbier then pila for the second. Tignes is great but the lifts aren’t free anymore. The charge was very modest though

garlando

Les gets for world cup. Couple of days riding either side of race day. On my new jeffsy pro race.

Ambrose

Morzine/ Les Gets/ Avoriaz/ Chatel- dunno when, depends on how we feel. We’ll grab a week and drive down. I’ll be riding my lovely old Helius 🙂

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

A week with whiteroom mtb in August for me this year,

nobbyq
    Free Member

a week in zermatt /wallis and maybe few days in vinschgau !

Akers

A week on the southern edge of the Alps near the Italian Riviera, based in Molini with Riviera-bike next month. Four weeks to go!

Then High Pyrenees trip with Basque MTB in October.

dantsw13

Tignes lifts still free with Tignes accommodation

singlespeedstu

Already had a week with ciclo montana in Spain.
    Heading out to bike village in France in a month or so.
    Then another week in Spain with ride southern spain.
    I’ll be on a Geometron either G13 or G16 depending on how I feel when its time to pack the bike up.

rascal
    Free Member

Morzine for a week in Aug but will head far and wide.
    Staying at MTB Beds for first time but heard good things.
    Can’t wait!

jimmy748

Les Gets next Friday for 3.5 days on this

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

3 weeks just outside Guillestre. Will ride a variety of locations, including Serre Che, Montgenevre, Les Orres, Vars/Risoul, and Puy St Vincent. Incredible amounts of non-lift stuff too. I’m taking my 26″ Ariel 14X and Levo ebike. I can’t wait to use the ebike for some exploration.

colp

I can’t wait to use the ebike for some exploration.

I used mine a lot last year, on mountains without ski lifts.
    One morning went up 3 hills, 4500ft of climbing/descending in 2 hours (20 miles), then met my wife for lunch.
    They’re ace in the Alps.

SirHC

Just got back from a long weekend away with Rivierabike in Molini.

Week in Morzine/Les Gets/Etc last weekend of June for a week. Not been in a few years, looking forward to it.

Akers

@Sir-HC How was Molini with Riviera Bike? I’m going next month. Any tips?

campalumpa
    Free Member

Troutwrestler

Vars is pants – recommend not wasting your money

The black route 21 from above Risoul is awesome (and extremely exposed in a couple of places).

Also recommed Abries which is under an hour from Guillestre, It only has 3 DH routes but has sublime lift assisted XC. You could also get a car lift (or e-bike) up to mountain hut almost at top of col’d’allos, ride up track opposite off road to col and then descend to Abries.

campalumpa
    Free Member

col d’agnel not allos

BoardinBob

I’ve done finale and lake garda already this year.

A week in Morzine in August and Finale again in September

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Thanks Campalunga. I’ve ridden it. It is excellent and so sustained at the grade that even the crapper bits are great.

I have been scouring the IGN maps, the internet, and French VTT GPS stuff. I have enough to tackle to guarantee a divorce if I try to do it all. I am going to try some early am rides to be back in time for the kids getting up.

pedlad

So have the alps had this epic rain? It’s character building in the wet imho.

vickypea
    Free Member

Spending a week or so riding my Cube Stereo in Courchevel and Meribel. 😊

doordonot
    Free Member

Following a ten year negotiation period with Mrs Doordonot, I have finally secured release for more than five days. Plan is to drive to Saas-fee valley in a month or so, via stop over for dark-side action climbing TdF stage 6 hills around / including the Ballon d’Alsace. Then it’s a week of high Alpine hiking and mountaineering, then a bit more road tripping to pick up the rest of the fam.

Northwind

Akers

Subscriber

@Sir-HC How was Molini with Riviera Bike? I’m going next month. Any tips?

Take a spare stomach, Maria is going to try to kill you with food. It’s puncturier than say Les Arcs, I was on Exos and wish I’d taken tougher tyres, especially when we went down towards the coast. Not as easy to find spares as in busier resorts, but the flipside of that is that Molini and surrounds are gorgeous. I loved the riding, and the uplifts etc were ace. Organisation not quite so much when we were there but I know Ade wasn’t happy with it then either and was planning changes.

Say hello to Luna the dog!

colp

So have the alps had this epic rain? It’s character building in the wet imho.

Don’t know about France but Austria has been scorching for a couple of weeks, 30c a lot of days

hot_fiat

No alps this year, Canada and USA for three weeks with the family in July, then have a trip with Ciclomaroc in September.

steveh

A couple of weeks of van life in the camper tied in with a mates biking stag do for the first week. Aosta/Pila including an out of park van uplift day with Aosta freeride, then on to Les Arcs for a few days. After that no fixed plans but will definitely hit some meribel ridgelines, maybe Portes du soleil or anywhere else we fancy. trail and dh bikes in the van to mix it up a bit.

cx_monkey

Zermat, Pila then Tignes – 2 week road trip. The TDF also has a stage finish in Tignes I think on the 26th July.

As a couple of people have mentioned Tignes/Val lift network isn’t free anymore – unless you’re staying with ‘My Tignes’ partner accomodation – that normally covers the hotels and catered chalets – but not if you’re privately renting. The My Tignes card is €40 for 6 days (€10 for 1, €30 for 3) – that card also covers a whole heap of other activities too.

phil5556

We’re heading first towards Les Gets / Morzine in the camper with a pair of T130s on the back.

Quite flexible though and we’ve got about 12 days so might try Italy and who not sure where else.

seanr
    Free Member

Does any one know if Tignes will open as planned on the 29th? Touring about and planned to start in Tignes for a few days on the 30th but didn’t know if another option would be better.

BillOddie

Looks like there is still plenty of snow kicking about in Tignes judging by the webcams:

https://en.tignes.net/webcams

https://www.valdisere.com/en/webcam/webcam-village/

Tignes is bloody high, even for the Alps, I’d start off somewhere like Morzine.

seanr
    Free Member

Yeah i had a look at the webcams and thought the same but wasnt sure on the trail locations etc to be sure.

dantsw13

It’s melting day by day. The last routes to clear are often the best Enduro routes.

BillOddie

We were in Tignes 2 years ago in Mid July only in our second week did some of the trails open.

dantsw13

Looking on the webcams Les Arcs has loads of snow – were thinking of doing La Varda again one day, but I’m not sure it will be rideable by 13 Jul.

ade9933
    Free Member

Tignes sounds fun. Can you recommend any camping or caravan spots suitable for families with a mutt & biking kids near there?

We usually head to PDS so I’d be up for a change.

boxelder

If in Tignes, do the big slide/jump into the lake – very amusing.

yiman
    Free Member

4 and a bit days riding in Morzine at end of July.

New Orange Alpine 6….should make a bit of a change from my old 5s on the rougher stuff.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Alps 2019 – where are you headed & what are you riding?’ is closed to new replies.