Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Allendale & area, routes, trail conditions, optimal bike?
  • el_boufador

Hi all, I’m up there for a few days at the start of April and having searched on here there seems to be a decent bit of riding around the area (e.g. Hexhamshire Common).

I’ll probably be able to head out for a few 2-3 hour rides.
    Anyone got any route recommendations?
    Would be better to be able to head out directly from Allendale to reduce amount of driving/faffing time, if possible however if it’s going to be much better riding doing a short drive then I’d consider that too.
    Also what are the trail conditions likely to be like? Couple of weeks away yet and looking mainly dry however I’m not really up for a mud slog to be honest – would go on road instead if it’s going to be bad.

Also – what bike? Have choice of FS 19er (burleyish, still pedals OK), XC HT 29er (gears or SS) or geared gravel bike. What’s best?

Thanks!

jonba
    Free Member

https://www.strava.com/activities/2089131555

This on is good, done it in all weathers and seems to hold up. You could approach the main descent from the other side if you wanted

https://www.strava.com/activities/52727829#4562729296

Is probably a bit long.

paul4stones

Good though those two routes are I don’t think that’s what you’re after really. The first one in particular is a fair drive round from Allendale even though it doesn’t look far on the map.

You’re right about Hexhamshire common – it’s criss-crossed with bridleways most of which are quite fine. There’s not huge variety up there really, it’s basically pennine moorland, but on a good day the views are immense, as in you can see a long way. Generally ride across, then back and repeat a bit further South or North depending. I believe some of the bridleways have been sanitised in which case a gravel bike will be perfect. Depends on the weather really too, most of the paths are reasonably well drained but if it’s been wet there will be some boggy bits. It’s ‘old skool’ mountainbiking.

There’s some cracking road rides round there too. From Allendale over to Nenthead then over to Kilhope and Weardale and back over to Allenheads possibly via Rookhope if you’ve time. That’d be fine on a gravel bike too, especially with road tyres on.

el_boufador

Great thanks guys, just the sort of info I’m after. Yes I could take the spare road wheels for the gravel bike, or at a push use them on 29er too. Good idea.

bajsyckel

^ Paul’s about right, I’d ride from the door on closer stuff though both of Jon’s routes can be linked to from Allendale if conditions are decent and you have the time. If you do the first of Jon’s, the top bit had a massive heather burn going on across the track at the end of the last dry spell which may affect things (but doubtful). Otherwise a few bits can get a bit damaged if there’s too much traffic in wet spells (has become vastly more popular in last few years – much more than more local to Allendale tracks), but most is fine if you’re sensible. As Paul says, there has been some “upgrading” on ROW closer to Allendale which might make some of them a bit more all season, luckily the best bits of singletrack are/were still hanging on recently.

RE conditions, I usually avoid the best singletrack in wet spells, but until this last week things have been unusually OK since about April last year (!), so if it’s relatively dry for the next couple of weeks all should be good. XC hardtail (geared or singlespeed) my preference most of the time. If anything like the last week/weekend, bring the road/gravel bike or a boat instead (excellent road tiding in all directions, on just about any road). Enjoy!

el_boufador

Thanks, anyone else with wisdom to share?

joemmo
    Free Member

couple of threads with some info that might help you:
    https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/groups-or-route-recommendations-near-hexham-this-weekend/
    https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/north-pennines/

I’d go for the HT out of your collection, the riding isn’t that technically challenging but can be geographically / meteorologically so 🙂

el_boufador

Nice one, thanks all

paul4stones

We want photos, etc when you’re back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Allendale & area, routes, trail conditions, optimal bike?’ is closed to new replies.