Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Air volume in a tyre?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

How much air is required to fill a tyre??
    Say a 26″ 2.3

njee20
    Free Member

To what pressure…

druidh
    Free Member

Surely the volume in the tyre is the same regardless of the pressure it is at 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

druidh – my point as well (arguing at work)

Matt24k
    Free Member

Are you talking about the volume of the air or the volume of the tyre?
    A ten litre cylinder filled to 10 bar has 100 litres of air in it.
    A ten litre cylinder filled to 100 bar has 1000 litres of air in it.
    The volume of air is compressed by the pressure but the internal volume of the tank remains the same.
    HTH

euain

A ten litre cylinder filled to 10 bar has 100 litres of air in it.

Not quite: a ten litre cylinder filled to 10 bar has the quantity of air that would occupy 100 litres at 1 bar (atmospheric pressure) assuming temperature is the same

You could work out the volume of the tyre – it’s sort of like a cylinder 2 and a bit inches in diameter and 26 inches high..

rob-jackson
    Free Member

to fill a 2.3 tyre to 30psi

druidh
    Free Member

Around 355 cubic inches.

http://www.engineersedge.com/volume_calc/torus.htm

Assuming that the tyre is a perfect torus where a section through it would be a circle of 2.3″ diameter.

Matt24k
    Free Member

euain
    I was trying to keep it simple without involving too many variables. To that end I also used bar and litres rather than psi and cubic inches.
    The problem with bike tyres is that the sizes vary wildly so it is hard to give a cubic capacity. One brands 2.35 is like another brands 2.1.

nickjb
    Free Member

I make it about 5.5 litres at 1 bar, so about 11.5 litres at 31 psi (2.1 bar). Of course there is still actually only 5.5 litres of air in there

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Reason i ask is trying to make an inflator for tubeless tyres by suing a garden pressure sprayer. Wondering to go for a 5 or 10L version

AndrewJ
    Free Member

by suing a garden pressure sprayer

Where there’s a blame there’s a claim!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

grrr – need to sort out using and suing!

poly
    Free Member

I make it about 5.5 litres at 1 bar, so about 11.5 litres at 31 psi (2.1 bar). Of course there is still actually only 5.5 litres of air in there

I agree that the volume inside that size of tyre is approx 5.5L, but when you inflate a tyre to 31 psi (2.1 bar) you are inflating it to that much above atmospheric pressure (or above the 1 atm, reference side of a fixed guage). So you will need roughly 17 L of atmospheric pressure air to fill a tyre to that pressure.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

so if i buy a 5l version and pump it up then i will be fine?

drofluf
    Free Member

I’m guessing that you’re trying to use it to quickly seat a tubeless tyre?

In which case you’ll need to get it up to 60psi so that when you inflate the tyre you’ll effectively be doubling the volume (not quite as tyre is 5.5l rather than 5l)and therefore halving the pressure.

If that’s not your goal then ignore me 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

spot on

drofluf
    Free Member

Then 5l if you can get it up to 60psi before the safety valve pops or 10l at 45psi (I think)

SBrock
    Free Member

Just buy tyres that’s don’t need a compressor, just set up some flow rims with High Roller 2s 60a EXO Kevlar bead with a track pump and no soapy water…..soo easy

TiRed

Safety valve on a 5L sprayer is about 3 bar or about 45PSI. Get a 10L, the valve will be the same.

Coincidentally, I use my 5L sprayer to clean up to three bikes after a winter ride.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Air volume in a tyre?’ is closed to new replies.