Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Affordable running kit
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Do you stop, or do you keep moving but “avoid” any potential traffic (either by slowing down or speeding up)?

Mostly the latter. If I think I need to be seen then I make sure I’m seen or out the way.

I’m not trying to suggest you’re reckless, but surely as a driver you understand the need to see things around you which could impact on the decisions you make on the road?

It is an interesting one that. If I was going to be putting myself in positions where drivers didn’t expect me to be and needed to know I was there (e.g. running along a country lane or maybe a busy city) then I would definitely be making myself as visible as possible. Running along pavements in a quiet town with street lighting and the occasional road crossing, high vis really not needed IMO.

peterfile
    Free Member

It is an interesting one that. If I was going to be putting myself in positions where drivers didn’t expect me to be and needed to know I was there (e.g. running along a country lane) then I would definitely be making myself as visible as possible. Running along pavements with the occasional road crossing, high vis really not needed IMO.

I agree with you to some extent, but you’re putting a huge amount of confidence into the awareness of road users, which in my experience is misplaced 🙂

I don’t go overboard with the High Vis stuff, but I like to give myself at least a fighting chance of being seen by those drivers who maybe aren’t completely on the ball or likely to do something unpredictable/silly. The other thing I’ve noticed when out running is that the dangers aren’t linked exclusively to cars…i’ve had my fair share of near misses from cyclists too!

You’re right though, it is subjective. If you’re only crossing a few roads, it’s probably not as big an issue. But I run in a suburban area of a city and you’re constantly crossing entrance, driveways and roads. Lots of other road users and lots of traffic. It’s just asking for trouble to make yourself less visible.

Doesn’t take much to wear a bit of high vis. Pedestrians ARE regularly knocked down. Drivers not seeing them IS a cause of those accidents. Not a huge amount of effort is needed to help mitigate that risk.

The incidence of runners being hit by cars is far higher than you imagine. A 1981 survey found that 0.6 percent of runners who responded had suffered injuries from being hit by cars, and the rest of us can remember those near misses when we nearly got skittled by a car coming out of a driveway when the driver wasn’t looking. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 69,000 pedestrians are injured each year, with 4,500 of that number being fatalities. Almost certainly over 1,000 of these injured pedestrians are runners and joggers.

The statistics also show that males bear the brunt of pedestrian fatalities (70 percent), and here’s another statistic that will curl your toes: 36 percent of pedestrian fatalities involve drunk drivers.

Linky

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, think you just need to make an assessment based on where and when you run.

I think for a lot of people though, taking their headphones out and generally being aware of their surroundings is a lot more likely to save them from getting run over than wearing a high vis jacket!

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Back to the original thread. Adidas tights when it’s cold (from the local Adidas outlet). Rest of clothes from Wiggle sale/Sports Direct/Decathlon. The one item I did think was worth spending a little on was a Montane Pertex top for when it’s showery. When it’s raining hard, I just use the GoreTex cycling top.

I also wear running gloves (from Sports Direct I think) and a hat when it’s parky.

bensales
    Free Member

I find a nice by-product of hi-via is that you get drivers actually waiting for you to cross junctions. I regularly get people seeing me and stopping before they turn into a side road and waving me across as they see me early and see me moving at speed. It’s nice because I don’t need to alter my pace.

Hi-viz is also very useful so that other pedestrians see you. Moving at speed on pavement, it’s not the cars you’re worried about it’s peds seeing you and not wandering into your path.

The really useful thing for running at night is a small torch. You can shine it at cars or peds to attract their attention. Really handy when you need to step off the pavement and into the road to avoid the dog.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Shoes – Sportshoes unlimited Braford (great bargains never pay more than £35, and I professionaly fit them myself)

Tops – Decathlon

Socks – Decathlon

Shorts – Nike currently.

Headtorch – Alpkit

andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

gravitysucks – YGM.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like a mix of existing cycling kit + one or two key pieces from Decathlon/Sports Direct should see me fine.

brassneck

I think for a lot of people though, taking their headphones out and generally being aware of their surroundings is a lot more likely to save them from getting run over than wearing a high vis jacket!

Agreed, but high vis takes away one more SMIDSY defence for very little effort.

I tend to run offroad in the middle of nowhere but I still ‘viz up’ for the few bits of road that connect the trails, and that’s with 150 lumens bobbing around on my head.

xiphon
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s been mentioned above, but get some proper running trainers – and spend time in a shop with gait analysis.

http://www.runnersneed.com/gait-analysis/expert-advice/fcp-category/list

(Running is dirt cheap by comparison of bikes!)

spawnofyorkshire

I generally buy the karrimor trail / outdoor t-shirts rather than the running ones. They have a slightly nicer cut and the material is less flimsy. I use them for running, biking and climbing
    If i need to be visible i use a cheap and lightweight ronhill vest which does the trick and cost £3 i think

mogrim

(Running is dirt cheap by comparison of bikes!)

Spent far more on running last year than I did on bikes… A new hydration pack, a fair few races, obviously I “needed” a new GPS watch, etc.

Bike’s winning this year, though, with a new fork.

nickc

As I runner who lives in the countryside, I think you’re taking your life in your hands if you think a head torch and a bit if hi vis is going to protect you from being battered by cars.

Socks. Spend some money on nice ones, makes a difference if you’re running any distance.

ross980
    Free Member

I highly rate Nike Drifit running kit. I’ve got a couple of tops and a hoody, all bought well below rrp (especially the Livestrong branded kit, which was particularly good vfm after Lance spilled the beans 😀 )

EDIT: Have a look on the Debenhams website, they had some really cheap Asics kit in the sale with free delivery to store

peterfile
    Free Member

As I runner who lives in the countryside, I think you’re taking your life in your hands if you think a head torch and a bit if hi vis is going to protect you from being battered by cars.

Socks. Spend some money on nice ones, makes a difference if you’re running any distance.

Don’t think anyone is suggesting that nick. Simply that high vis is better than black for getting you seen by motorists at night.

back2basics
    Free Member

wasnt there something about gait analysis and the people running them just want to make your feet hit “normal” – when in fact that can cause problems with ankles, knees and hips, and in fact you should just run how you run and simply get neutral shoes.

i’ll try and dig it out.

for sure if you look at some runners on TV you wonder how they stay upright!

Prophet2
    Free Member

I always use Ron Hill running tops, find that they are of a very high quality. Baselayers are a mix of Nike and Decathlon. The Decathlon baselayers are very good. Don’t usually bother with a jacket unless it’s really really bad weather. And then it’s an Lidl/Aldi one I bought years ago.

Shorts I have to have pockets in to hold car car key, work ID badge etc.

Socks are very important, I use very slim running socks bought from Run4it, can’t remember the brand, but everyone will have their own preferences. I found that the thicker the sock the less comfortable my feet were.

Gloves are Aldi running gloves and I have a Nike running headband for subzero temperatures. I look like an idiot but at least my ears are warm!

Again the more technical the kit the beter the running experience but no need to spend a fortune unless you are going to be very serious about your running.

surfer
    Free Member

and spend time in a shop with gait analysis.

Ohh nooooo 🙄

mrblobby
    Free Member

and spend time in a shop with gait analysis.
    Ohh nooooo

Didn’t this get done to death last week?

crikey
    Free Member

I ran my first marathon in a pair of trainers from Woolworths that cost £5, my school running shorts and a vest from the Army and Navy stores.

It’s not actually about the money you spend on what to wear.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Affordable running kit’ is closed to new replies.