Affordable running kit

Home Forum Chat Forum Affordable running kit

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Affordable running kit
  • FunkyDunc

Shoes – Sportshoes unlimited Braford (great bargains never pay more than £35, and I professionaly fit them myself)

Tops – Decathlon

Socks – Decathlon

Shorts – Nike currently.

Headtorch – Alpkit

Premier Icon andysbikeclinic
    Subscriber

gravitysucks – YGM.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like a mix of existing cycling kit + one or two key pieces from Decathlon/Sports Direct should see me fine.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

I think for a lot of people though, taking their headphones out and generally being aware of their surroundings is a lot more likely to save them from getting run over than wearing a high vis jacket!

Agreed, but high vis takes away one more SMIDSY defence for very little effort.

I tend to run offroad in the middle of nowhere but I still ‘viz up’ for the few bits of road that connect the trails, and that’s with 150 lumens bobbing around on my head.

xiphon

Not sure if it’s been mentioned above, but get some proper running trainers – and spend time in a shop with gait analysis.

http://www.runnersneed.com/gait-analysis/expert-advice/fcp-category/list

(Running is dirt cheap by comparison of bikes!)

Premier Icon spawnofyorkshire
    Subscriber

I generally buy the karrimor trail / outdoor t-shirts rather than the running ones. They have a slightly nicer cut and the material is less flimsy. I use them for running, biking and climbing
    If i need to be visible i use a cheap and lightweight ronhill vest which does the trick and cost £3 i think

mogrim

(Running is dirt cheap by comparison of bikes!)

Spent far more on running last year than I did on bikes… A new hydration pack, a fair few races, obviously I “needed” a new GPS watch, etc.

Bike’s winning this year, though, with a new fork.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

As I runner who lives in the countryside, I think you’re taking your life in your hands if you think a head torch and a bit if hi vis is going to protect you from being battered by cars.

Socks. Spend some money on nice ones, makes a difference if you’re running any distance.

ross980

I highly rate Nike Drifit running kit. I’ve got a couple of tops and a hoody, all bought well below rrp (especially the Livestrong branded kit, which was particularly good vfm after Lance spilled the beans 😀 )

EDIT: Have a look on the Debenhams website, they had some really cheap Asics kit in the sale with free delivery to store

peterfile

As I runner who lives in the countryside, I think you’re taking your life in your hands if you think a head torch and a bit if hi vis is going to protect you from being battered by cars.

Socks. Spend some money on nice ones, makes a difference if you’re running any distance.

Don’t think anyone is suggesting that nick. Simply that high vis is better than black for getting you seen by motorists at night.

wasnt there something about gait analysis and the people running them just want to make your feet hit “normal” – when in fact that can cause problems with ankles, knees and hips, and in fact you should just run how you run and simply get neutral shoes.

i’ll try and dig it out.

for sure if you look at some runners on TV you wonder how they stay upright!

Premier Icon Prophet2
    Subscriber

I always use Ron Hill running tops, find that they are of a very high quality. Baselayers are a mix of Nike and Decathlon. The Decathlon baselayers are very good. Don’t usually bother with a jacket unless it’s really really bad weather. And then it’s an Lidl/Aldi one I bought years ago.

Shorts I have to have pockets in to hold car car key, work ID badge etc.

Socks are very important, I use very slim running socks bought from Run4it, can’t remember the brand, but everyone will have their own preferences. I found that the thicker the sock the less comfortable my feet were.

Gloves are Aldi running gloves and I have a Nike running headband for subzero temperatures. I look like an idiot but at least my ears are warm!

Again the more technical the kit the beter the running experience but no need to spend a fortune unless you are going to be very serious about your running.

surfer

and spend time in a shop with gait analysis.

Ohh nooooo 🙄

mrblobby

and spend time in a shop with gait analysis.
    Ohh nooooo

Didn’t this get done to death last week?

crikey

I ran my first marathon in a pair of trainers from Woolworths that cost £5, my school running shorts and a vest from the Army and Navy stores.

It’s not actually about the money you spend on what to wear.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Affordable running kit’ is closed to new replies.