Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Affordable running kit
  • andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m not getting out on the bike as often as I’d like (or my every-increasing stomach really needs). I would like to start running (no clarting about with the bike once I get home) but don’t want to spend a fortune on the kit in case I don’t take to it.

I’ve invested in a pair of Asics that were professionally fitted for me by the guys at Run4It in Edinburgh, so I’ve spent money where it’s most important. Can anyone recommend any affordable kit (shorts/longs/tops/socks etc) that’ll see me through the first six months or so? As with everything, it seems you can spend an eye-watering amount on sports clothing, but I don’t have that luxury (and in all honesty, it’d be wasted on me).

So, any recommendations or sales on at the moment?
    Cheers,

Andy

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sports Direct, He/She running section.

BoardinBob

Decathlon

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    banks
    Free Member

Decathalon ftw!

muzzle
    Free Member

Decathlon’s Kalenji branded kit is great value, and I use my former running tops for cycling these days too.

muzzle
    Free Member

I sense a consensus.

flowerpower
    Free Member

I mostly use my bike kit… in winter I wear summer bike tops / thermals for running, plus my thinnest waterproof – depending on the weather. The only running specific kit I have are the trainers and a pair of lycra tights.

I only run occasionally, but would have thought that you could get by for six months if you wanted that way…

molgrips
    Free Member

Nike running kit serves me well, technical and well enough made but half the price of fancy running brands. Also, much of my MTB kit is actually the “fast and light” ranges from outdoor manufacturers picked up on clearance, so it functions perfectly well for running (possibly better in fact).

stever
    Free Member

More Mile stuff is good value and long lasting too.

andycs

Hind clothing from Sweat Shop is good value. Also seen some in T K Max.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

What size are you Andy? I’ve got a few pairs or ronhill leggings / 3/4’s that I used for running. Not been used too much as running just isn’t for me.

mogrim

Another vote for Decathlon, I get most of my running kit there.

back2basics
    Free Member

i use riding gear often too, cos it has rear pockets, whats the deal with running tops that have like ZERO pockets….

willard

Sports Direct. As much as people slag off their stuff, some of it is pretty good. The same holds true for the Decathlon stuff though, so go for what ever is closest and you like the look of.

theteaboy
    Free Member

In winter I wear l-s cycling tops so I can stuff a magicshine battery in there. Tops have to be tight though – stuff bouncing around in pockets is really annoying.

For shorts, I only ever buy ones with a little zipped pocket for a key etc. Small thing but makes a big difference for me.

stumpy01

Sports Direct

molgrips
    Free Member

Even if my kit has pockets I never use them, apart from the one in the back of my shorts/tights. I hate stuff bouncing around when I run.

DezB
    Free Member
    ahwiles
    Free Member

unless it’s properly cold, actually below freezing, you’ll melt to death in about 5mins if you’re wearing too much.

for normal winter conditions (above freezing), a pair of ronhills (or similar) and a medium weight jersey is enough.

(sometimes, if i’m feeling soft, i’ll start of with a skull cap to keep my ears warm, i’ve usually taken it off after 5mins. And i’m a skinny bald giffer, i need more insulation than most)

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

sportsshoes.com have some bargains. but really its just a case of getting down and wading through google. before xmas i got an adidas adiviz top that should have been 50quid or so for 14. my damp days top is a montane singletrack event jacket, really lovely, that was 22quid. bargains are there.

but as the others have said. socks, shorts. leggings if its cold. couple of sports tops and a wind/rain jacekt if its cold/wet.

lidl is another option.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shorts, whatever’s in the cuppboard
    T-shirt, see above
    High-vis endura cycling gillet and some very thin football style socks I bought from Lidl if it’s a bit nippy.

I think the only thing I spent money on was the shoes, and those were just bought from Sports Direct based on their high or low arch => under/over protonate method.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Decathlon and my existing cycling kit.

mrblobby
    Free Member

This time of year just use your cycling base layers and any old lightweight fleecy top. Get a pair of tracksters too. Socks, whatever is in the bargain bin at sports direct. No need for anything fancy.

Shoes… the most important bit of kit, loads of threads on here and loads of different opinions on what’s right and what’s not. I’d recommend going for something fairly basic and minimal, steer clear of overly built up shoes with big spongy soles. You might need to have a think about your running style though (everyone thinks they know how to run but people generally tend to run with very bad form because they’ve never thought about it or worked on it – study some footage of how top runners run.)

High-vis endura cycling gillet

Often wonder why people feel the need to run in high vis kit. Makes sense on country lanes but I see it a lot around town running on pavements. Does seem a bit odd.

Travis

Outlet shops for branded stuff.
    Check out the sales on Wiggle too.

I found the Decathlon stuff good quality, but didn’t fit me quite right.

petrieboy

Classic run hill tracksters are dirt cheap, cheap socks but replace them frequently and whatever tops you have or can pick up from decathlon. I’ve got a lightweight shell thing I picked up in Calais decathalon years ago for <€10 and its perfect at this time of year.
    I found that some cheaper lightweight wicking t-shirts chafed a bit in longer runs so be careful there.

lilchris
    Free Member

Sports Direct, He/She running section.

😯 Not seen that one. Not sure I want to either!

On a serious note, whatever wiggle have on offer usually.

antigee

Often wonder why people feel the need to run in high vis kit. Makes sense on country lanes but I see it a lot around town running on pavements. Does seem a bit odd.

cars turning into drives / junctions / shops / petrol stations – peds are invisible – fast moving peds are unexpected and doubly invisible

mrblobby
    Free Member

cars turning into drives / junctions / shops / petrol stations – peds are invisible – fast moving peds are unexpected and doubly invisible

Been running dressed like a ninja for about 25 years and I’ve yet to even have a near miss. Just keep an eye out for traffic around junctions, driveways etc. But then I do tend to pay attention and not wear headphones.

miketually
    Free Member

Trainers: some Salomon running shoes I bought ages ago;
    Shorts: some Howies board shorts that I got on 2for1 five years ago;
    Top: cheap on-One merino baselayer
    Top: worn out bike waterproof (Endura Helium, I think) mainly for the windproofness and a rear pocket to hold my phone for Strava, and the reflectives. It’s a bit warm, really, so I need to get something better..

I run on an evening, so just wear whatever pants and socks I had on that day anyway. Oh, my hands get cold, so I wear some gloves too.

peterfile
    Free Member

Been running dressed like a ninja for about 25 years and I’ve yet to even have a near miss. Just keep an eye out for traffic around junctions, driveways etc. But then I do tend to pay attention and not wear headphones.

Doesn’t work like that though. You’re suggesting that it’s OK to dress in night time camouflage provided you stay away from the fast moving bits of metal? Mental. How is a driver, who hasn’t seen you, able to take you into account when performing an manoeuvre? Or can you read their minds so its OK? Wear something that makes you visible ffs. It’s hugely selfish to try and make yourself invisible from other road users who might have to live with the consequences of hitting you.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s hugely selfish to try and make yourself invisible from other road users who might have to live with the consequences of hitting you.

WTF? If I was running on the road I could see the sense in that argument.

Do you go high viz when walking to the shops?

Edit: Sorry Andy, bit of a digression there!

andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses, fellas. Much appreciated. Think I’ll be heading in to Decathlon soon.

gravitysucks, I’m a 34″ waist/33″ leg.

piemonster

More Mile and Decathlon (if you have one nearby)

peterfile
    Free Member

WTF? If I was running on the road I could see the sense in that argument.

Do you go high viz when walking to the shops?

You say that you exercise caution when crossing any entrances, driveways, junctions etc. Do you stop, or do you keep moving but “avoid” any potential traffic (either by slowing down or speeding up)?

If you stop at every single potential interface with the road, fair enough, but I suspect that would get in the way of the “running”. Therefore you’re making a judgement call about what the traffic around you is doing. Traffic which might not have taken you into account. I’m continually amazed at people who wander out into the road having made a judgement call based on my road speed and position, assuming that I won’t change. Which of course, I won’t….if I’ve actually seen them.

I’m not trying to suggest you’re reckless, but surely as a driver you understand the need to see things around you which could impact on the decisions you make on the road?

Weasel
    Free Member

As above – Sports Direct, Decathlon, also M&M Direct have cheap stuff as well – Asics, More Mile etc

wrightyson
    Free Member

Not into what’s hot and not but just picked the mrs up some tights and a training top from this sale. Many bargains to be had.
    Field and trek

gravitysucks
    Free Member

gravitysucks, I’m a 34″ waist/33″ leg.

As am I. I’ll send you a few pics tonight if your interested.

mogrim

I found that some cheaper lightweight wicking t-shirts chafed a bit in longer runs so be careful there.

(Cheaper alternatives are also available…)

miketually
    Free Member

I’ll send you a few pics tonight if your interested.

I didn’t know it was that sort of thread…

#grindr

mogrim

Knowing you’re going to be running at night, and having two similarly priced jackets one high-vis / the other not… I’d get the high-vis.

I’ve had a couple of near misses with ninja dog walkers near my house, a bit of reflective clothing would have helped.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Affordable running kit’ is closed to new replies.