Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • OS Maverick
  • coogan
    Free Member

Know there is a few computer/Mac users on here, so who’s using OS Maverick? Any problems with it? It’s getting to the point I may be pushing my work Mac out the window. Slow, keeps doing random little niggly things with software which involves forcing quitting software. That could be the software (Adobe Creative Suite), but it never did it in Mountain Lion.

Copying files over the network to the servers either goes fine or tells me ‘The file is in use’. Which it isn’t and usually takes 2-3 more attempts for it to suddenly decide it’s okay to copy over. Can’t even begin to tell you how f**ckin irritating that is!

Any solutions or ideas gratefully accepted.

allthegear
    Free Member

All seems fine for me at the moment, apart from Skype keeps crashing. Never liked Skype anyway so it may finally prompt me to dump it.

If you are developing websites using local Apache, might be worth noting the update makes a new /etc/httpd.conf after copying the original to /etc/apache.conf.original

Rachel

coogan
    Free Member

Not website work. Print and retouching work. Copying files over with problems seem to be on the bigger files. Usually Photoshop, but then that’s the software that creates the bigger files in here usually. Although I did copy over 4.5GB of work in a folder. That had InDesign, PhotoShop (TIFF, PSDs etc) and Illustrator files within it, and that all copied over fine, which did make me work if it was because it was in a folder? Might start doing that as a test and see what happens.

Ogg

no problems here – it’s a pretty boring update though, I don’t think I’ve used any of the new ‘features’.

http://helpx.adobe.com/drive/kb/opening-saving-files-slower-mac.html – might be your problem

seosamh77
    Free Member

The regularity of these OS releases is becoming a joke these days. Settle on something already!

zokes
    Free Member

Glad I’m not the only one with Skype falling over. Apart from that, all seems good.

coogan
    Free Member

The regularity of these OS releases is becoming a joke these days. Settle on something already!

Eh? Been a while since the last Mac OS update.

Skype works fine on my iMac at home with Maverick though.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Eh? Been a while since the last Mac OS update.

It’s one a year these days, which is ridiculous.

zokes
    Free Member

It’s one a year these days, which is ridiculous.

Yes, damn them and their progress.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Have you repaired permissions in Disk Utility? Sometimes helps with things like this.

I upgraded from 10.7 to Mavericks and the speed increase was very welcome, especially when running Aperture.

May be worth backing up and performing a full clean install of Mavericks though.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Yes, damn them and their progress.

What magically new stuff can you do?

allthegear
    Free Member

Use my laptop for at least an hour longer. The thread coalescing thing does actually work…

Rachel

zokes
    Free Member

Rachel +1

Lots of other minor and not-so-minor things too: memory management, enhancements to file browsing, more stable networking, sharper graphics.

You know, the sort of things you’d expect with an OS update…

coogan
    Free Member

Thinking I might have to do a clean install, been a while since I did one.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Been using Mavericks since day 1, upgraded from Lion (skipped Mountain Lion).

It’s been running great on my 2009 Mac Mini and GF’s 2012 MacBook Pro.

There is a known problem with HP Scanners, the HP software doesn’t work but you can scan with Preview
    Some Western Digital external hard drives running their software have a problem with data loss, that’s due to the Western Digital Software not being compatible.

You might like to have a look round the excellent Mac Rumors forums for the issues you mention.

Having been using computers for 30 years I try and avoid anything Microsoft if I can, when they bought Skype for me that’s a negative. I still use it but only on my iPhone or iPad (so iOS not Mavericks), using FaceTime more and more.

@seosamh77 – screen mirroring to Apple TV (large HD TV now an additional monitor if/when required – using that right now, memory management better, macbook battery life better, new safari with notification centre and power save features, finder with multiple tabs and tagging, free upgrades to pages and numbers (I rarely use Microsoft Office even for work), new KeyChain over iCloud, general iCloud improvements and connectivity.

seosamh77
    Free Member

i’m going to step away, clearly a thread for the “enthusiast”! seems to me these are incremental upgrades, hardly an excuse for a rebranding exercise as a new OS. But batter in, long as youse are happy! 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

@seosamh77 – please don’t you’ll spoil our fun ! We’ll just have to rant at ourselves as usual.

I saw a chart on MacRumors yesterday 30% of Windows PC’s still running XP – to me that’s hardly a good sign is it ! Upgrading under Windows meant you bought a whole new PC as the old one had basically stopped working and to get new features you needed new hardware and/or £100’s instead of £15 or free with Apple

zilog6128

I had a couple of issues after upgrading that slowed my computer down to a crawl, but I could identify them by launching the console app and looking at the error messages. I had two different ones being generated every few seconds, one to do with the calendar and another to do with the Adobe installation app. A quick google found they were common problems and easily sorted with a few lines in Terminal. After that my iMax was much faster than before, especially with Adobe CS.

As above, would also recommend fixing permissions/resetting PRAM (which historically have solved 99% of all Mac problems for me!)

What an odd thing to moan about! Chances are that most people won’t notice much, if any difference, when upgrading because most things work exactly the same, only faster and there are a few new handy features.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Upgrading under Windows meant you bought a whole new PC as the old one had basically stopped working and to get new features you needed new hardware and/or £100’s instead of £15 or free with Apple

Sames true of apple, I’ve a macbook in the house from 2007 that will only upgrade so far. canny mind how far as it’s been a while since I looked into it. think 10.7 was it’s limit.

seosamh77
    Free Member

What an odd thing to moan about! Chances are that most people won’t notice much, if any difference, when upgrading because most things work exactly the same, only faster and there are a few new handy features.

My point is, that these don’t constitute an OS and should come down automatically in the software update.

It’s marketing pure and simple. Right, it’s my last comment on this! 😀

CaptainSlow

Running on my 2012 MBP (non-retina)
    I like what they did to file browsing, not sure I’m seeing any other benefit.

Skype crashes
    My MBP crashes when coming out of sleep mode
    FF crashes
    Maybe a little more basket ball of doom than before?

Overall, my W7 PC is more stable, yet still I want to replace it with a Mac. I am truly suckered…

retro83
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    My point is, that these don’t constitute an OS and should come down automatically in the software update.

It’s marketing pure and simple. Right, it’s my last comment on this!

To be honest you couldn’t have picked a worse time to make this comment. It’s the first release in a long while with real fundamental ‘under-the-hood’ changes (compressed memory, new process scheduler and app-napping for instance).

marthall
    Free Member

Had no problems apart from some database apps need to be set “Prevent App Nap” so they don’t fall asleep when in the background.

seosamh77
    Free Member

To be honest you couldn’t have picked a worse time to make this comment. It’s the first release in a long while with real fundamental ‘under-the-hood’ changes (compressed memory, new process scheduler and app-napping for instance).

I’m not denying any improvement(tbh I’ve no knowledge of it, feel out of caring about the upgrade loop a long time ago), but in world of sense, it should be called 10.3 at most.

coogan
    Free Member

Thats not your last comment then…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Using it here. Had initial problems with Illustrator crashing but that turned out to be an incompatible plugin. That got removed (and replaced with an updated version 2 day later) and everythings been fine since.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘OS Maverick’ is closed to new replies.