Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Afan/FoD STWers day out ?
  • weeksy

Anyone fancy a bit of trail riding ? Would ideally be a weekend.

We’ve had a few meet ups at BPW this year, but with winter coming and the BPW dates being quite lacking, I thought we’d try for Afan or FoD ?

Anyone in ?

v666ern
    Free Member

what sort of riding are thinking?

rOcKeTdOg

FoD would be good if a local could guide the good bits rather than the way marked stuff

v666ern
    Free Member

Sorry weeksy that was a little short, what i meant was how much riding are you thinking and how fluro?!

Im Glos way so know some of the cheeky FOD stuff, but half a day is my max and a high likelihood of getting off and walking some stuff!

rOcKeTdOg

Im Glos way so know some of the cheeky FOD stuff, but half a day is my max and a high likelihood of getting off and walking some stuff!

Works for me

weeksy

I’ve got no issues with that too 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

When are you thinking weeksy?

Im looking at the 11th or 12th oct before i can make it

weeksy

Weekend after suits me and my mate.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m up for off piste FoD, but shifts dictate if it’s to be a reality.

v666ern
    Free Member

I ‘should’ be ok for 18/19th oct – lets plan on that and ill speak to ‘the boss’ tonight!

weeksy

Aye, we’ll go with that as a date set in stone.

rOcKeTdOg

Should be ok for me if its ok to turn up

weeksy

of course mate, open to anyone and everyone as with all the little things I organise on here.

We’ve had cracking days out and until we got there have never met anyone else 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

Hope to come along for this, should be able to do a half-day of either 18th or 19th. Most of my riding is FoD off-piste so I’d be happy to guide/help guide to some of the less well-known good stuff if required

qwerty
    Free Member

I should be ok for 18/19th.

v666ern
    Free Member

Wilko, I was thinking of half the enduro to the top – broadwell jumps, fetter hill/henrys, then bit of road onto chizzy’s, shutcastle, D1/2/3 etc, ceri’s and then back via the cycle path?

I haven’t guided before, or done that exact loop, that’s what about 15 miles? Could always start/finish at the fountain instead

Whats your thoughts? ❓

Any requests off anyone appreciated too

mboy
    Free Member

FoD would be good if a local could guide the good bits rather than the way marked stuff

Happy to do a guided route if it’s on a Sunday. Can’t make Saturdays though sadly.

Took some Wyre Forest local lads round the FoD last Sunday, a nice 40km loop consisting mostly of nice technical singletrack off the beaten path…

mboy
    Free Member

Wilko, I was thinking of half the enduro to the top – broadwell jumps, fetter hill/henrys, then bit of road onto chizzy’s, shutcastle, D1/2/3 etc, ceri’s and then back via the cycle path?

I haven’t guided before, or done that exact loop, that’s what about 15 miles? Could always start/finish at the fountain instead

Similar to the route I did last weekend…

Started off with the Freeminer’s to warm people up, all the way until the start of the Enduro Singletrack, then followed the Enduro course right until its final descent on the bottom part of Y2K. From here carried on up the fireroad, then back on ourselves to the start of Y2K proper, down Y2K, then across the road, up the nasty landrover track climb, up to the quarry, then “Is that a Beaver” and Henry’s then Dowies 1, up to Shutcastle and down it, back to the bottom of Dowies 2/3, up the fireroad and then back up to the top of Dowies 1, down Dowies 1 again, then up and finish Dowies 2/3 then back along the Cyclepath to the centre…

Was exactly 25 miles according to my Garmin.

v666ern
    Free Member

“Is that a Beaver”

am SO following you!

that wasnt for a local clothing company was it? – Saw the pic on instagram at the bottom of 😯 ceri’s

mboy
    Free Member

that wasnt for a local clothing company was it? – Saw the pic on instagram at the bottom of ceri’s

You’ve lost me…

Here’s “Is that a Beaver” segment on Strava…

http://www.strava.com/activities/191247486/segments/4494061354

fathomer

I won’t know till nearer the time but I could be up for a drive down 😀

v666ern
    Free Member

Ah, my bad, I got wye and wyre mixed up 😳

http://iconosquare.com/p/808757480777282729_372882780

fathomer

Bum, I’ve just been reminded that I’m busy nearly all that weekend 🙁

wilko1999
    Free Member

v666ern and mboy was thinking along the same lines but a bit longer, in this order-ish… first half of enduro to top, over the road for mushroom trail, back onto enduro across past Worcester lodge, broadwell jumps, Henry’s, up to Ellwood, marsh lane run down to the greenhouses, main Shutcastle singletrack, up to sams old trail, dowies 3, dowies, chizzys, murdocks, back into Shutcastle for alternative run, back up for bluebell run, Ceris, through parkend over to tramway, dr johns, cycle track to the ponds, cross over the road, climb up past barnhill plantation past broadwell jumps again and finish with full y2k descent back to PBA 😀 That’d be a cracking loop, and a good half days riding, at least 4 hours, or have I got a bit carried away?

Alex

I might be around. If it hasn’t absolutely lamped it down the week before, I’d suggest riding over on the Yat side. The route ^^^ is great and has loads of lovely singletrack but the Yat side is better in my view.

SOAP
    Free Member

Willow1999 are you on strava? Wouldn’t mind nicking the gpx of that route.
    Mboy I’ve asked to follow
    Cheers

psling
    Free Member

Blimey, where are all these trails 😯

I know a few trails in the area but am a bit of a plodder so if anyone is interested in a slightly slower ride on the Sunday whilst the faster boys go out to play I’d be happy to show them some of the bits that I know 8)

weeksy

Who said we’re fast? Its a social day out, come join in. Waiting for someone just gives more time for chatting.

singlespeedstu

psling – Member
    Blimey, where are all these trails

😆
    Pull the other one Peter.
    You OWN the forest. 😀

iffoverload
    Free Member

this sounds like a good day out 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

That’s right Weeksy. Psling, we don’t have to do it all anyway, we can head out and see how time goes. I’m just an average joe rider, certainly wouldn’t class myself as fast.

Alex Staunton/Yat area is brilliant I agree, my favourite FoD descent is over there, but I don’t know my way round as well as Parkend way. Haven’t been up joys green way for ages either not sure if the dh runs are still there

fodmtb
    Free Member

Lydbrook tracks overgrown still , Horslea stuff ok

v666ern
    Free Member

Alex Staunton/Yat area is brilliant I agree, my favourite FoD descent is over there, but I don’t know my way round as well as Parkend way. Haven’t been up joys green way for ages either not sure if the dh runs are still there

This, however i thought we aren’t allowed to mention that or the knights will get us 😐

Who said we’re fast? Its a social day out, come join in. Waiting for someone just gives more time for chatting.

That sounds much better – id love to get over to dr johns but i think if its starting at PABA out then its probably a bit far for me (MADORC ruined me)

spose us lazy’uns could rest whilst you kids @rse about on dowies trails.

PS MRS HAS OK’d IT _ IM IN! 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Pull the other one Peter.
    You OWN the forest.

Considering that about 80% of the trails mentioned above, I first rode with you some 10 years ago or more Peter, methinks you are protesting too much! 😉

v666ern and mboy was thinking along the same lines but a bit longer, in this order-ish…

Sounds quality! I think you need to reassess your timings though, depending on how many turn up you’d have to allow for it to take quite a bit longer I think. I had a fairly quick group last weekend, 25 miles took us 4hrs 30min in all, and my Strava says well over 3hrs of that was ride time. If it was solo, or a couple of people, I’d expect the ride time to be much closer to the total time taken, but when you’re shepherding a dozen people or more down loads of unfamiliar (to them) singletrack, it takes its time. Add in a couple of food stops too, and half a day has gone easily.

psling
    Free Member

😉 @ ssstu & mboy!

The forest is an everchanging holy grail of trails; I just can’t keep up with the newer names although it’s good to see areas referenced above where we put in the original trails 10/15 years or so ago 🙂

weeksy

I don’t care if it takes 8 hours, I’m out for the day… so the more the merrier 🙂

jimster01

I wouldn’t mind coming along to,I’ll check with the boss and let you all know nearer the time. Need to see how it fits in with mother -in-law duties 😕

v666ern
    Free Member

well im fine doing a half day so you can give peeps the option of staying on or heading back then weeksy 🙂

original trails 10/15 years or so ago

ooh if we ride them are they all in black and white, like before we had the internetz 😆

Should we warn people that they ‘might’ see some odd things in the forest – i.e. i met mr dowie strolling through the woods just carrying a pick axe and a shovel and he’s not a little bloke…anywhere else that would have been odd/dodgy, but in the FOD just normal 😯

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I’m also up for joining in on this ride.

Will need to see if I can get a green light from the handbrake first though…

qwerty
    Free Member

18/19th.

, I’m out for the day

Call me fick, but wot day iz we talkin bout?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Afan/FoD STWers day out ?’ is closed to new replies.