Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 236 total)
  • Admin: Malicious Advert
  • scuzz
    Free Member

Evening,
    You’re serving up a malicious add.
    Browsing the forum on my android I will occasionally get a pop up with the text:
    The page at ads.yahoo.com says:
    “Virus affecting your android ? Turn on Virus scanner Now!”
    Has Ok and Cancel dialogue boxes, am presuming Ok takes you to a site with an APK with shady permissions but haven’t had a look.
    Thought I would bring it to your attention.

All users, don’t select Ok or download any suspect files after being invited to click on a link.

Can someone please report this post for visibility? You can’t report your own posts! 😉

jamj1974

Reported.

CountZero

Not an issue. 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Burn him!

😉

nickjb
    Free Member
    Drac

For future reference.

Website technical enquiries

If you have any questions or concerns about this website – tech@singletrackworld.com

ohnohesback
    Free Member

There are good reasons to install AVG or similar apps on your ‘droid.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you have any questions or concerns about this website

Please email us privately so we can keep it quiet.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

I get a lot Lovelinks pop up on my android tab and then opens play store. 🙄

Drac

Please email us privately so we can keep it quiet.

If that were the case we’d delete any reference to problems but yet we don’t.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If that were the case we’d delete any reference to problems but yet we don’t.

Admirable.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

And a advert to the right for free malware removal. See how the world goes round.

scotroutes

I reported this to the mods earlier in the week. They are usually pretty quick at removing these ads.

CountZero

allthepies – Member
    CountZero said » Not an issue.
    Burn him!

Is there an app for that?
    😆

Selled
    Free Member

Bump

Getting fedup of it now. Constantly occurring on both android phone and tablet.

Any suggestions yet?

bruneep

virus in your device(s)?

not an issue here.

Selled
    Free Member

Don’t think so… can never be 100% though

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into this a bit more and have a few observations,
    We only use the major ad networks Google, Microsoft, AOL and Switch. They are very conscious of ad malware and I would be surprised if they were distributing this code.
    We have hundreds of thousands of Android users on the site and it is the same few who report recurring problems.
    I use the site on my Android Nexus 7 and HTC One S regularly and have never encountered a problem.
    All this leads me to believe the problem may be with the users devices. Google does not vet the quality of apps distributed via the Google Play store so the odds are that some of our users may have installed a dodgy app at some stage. Equally, Android devices are vulnerable to viruses and other malware. It is recommended that you should run anti virus package on your device.

Ultimately as I have been unable to replicate the problem I can’t see how I can help further. If you have any further information that would help me identify the cause of the problem I would be happy to investigate further.

We are keeping the ad networks informed of the concerns in case they are the source..

scotroutes

It’s on the device but only happens when browsing Singletrack?

Chinny reckon

eskay

I had the same thing happen last night on an android phone.

wwaswas

It’s on the device but only happens when browsing Singletrack?

I’m with patrick – if it weren’t the device there would be an awful lot more people complaining about this across a range of platforms and devices.

And why only on Android devices – the ad serving systems that stw use are largely OS agnostic.

no idea if there’s a malwarebytes equivalent for android and I’ve not needed it on my Sony but if I were affected I’d assume it wa sme and not stw.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

My laptop keeps blocking a popup today; this is only occurring on STW.

wwaswas

have you run malwarebytes etc?

unless the code to launch the pop-up is delivered by stw or it’s ad partners it’s not really down to them is it?

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Merely commenting that I am getting this on a windows system and only with STW. Seems likely to me that a popup that only appears on STW and not on the 100’s of other sites I browse may be something to do with STW.

Stoner
    Free Member

Patrick- do you make allowances for the difference between premier users reporting issues and the lowly proles?

scuzz
    Free Member

Afternoon,
    Flashed to downgrade back to 4.3 Jellybean.
    Only re-installed a few apps after reading the latest reviews on Play store,
    Still having the issue.
    For what that’s worth! 🙂

lowly proles?

I only let P lapse because I never rceived a free gift!

kcr
    Free Member

I got a similar dodgy pop up while browsing on an Android phone, suggesting a virus had been detected and inviting me to clean it. No “Cancel” option, only an “OK”, so clearly a scam. I just used the back button to cancel the window.
    As reported by others, I have only experienced this on the STW site.

Underhill
    Free Member

Been experiencing this for about last week, and only on STW. No apps downloaded recently. Running a Desire S with Gingerbread & Avast installed

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

I only let P lapse because I never rceived a free gift!

Scuzz: Did you contact us at the time?
    Also, what apps did you install and were you flashing from a clean distro with security updates applied?

Patrick- do you make allowances for the difference between premier users reporting issues and the lowly proles?

Stoner: Not sure what you mean. Are you asking if Premier users with ads switched off are being affected?

cp

Happened a couple of times to me during the last week on Android. Only on STW, not had it on any other site.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

cp: do you have ads on or off?

scuzz
    Free Member

Hi Patrick,
    I didn’t & I’m not too fussed, I was just having a dig at Stoner – I know you’re good at sorting out missed free gifts and didn’t mean to imply any fault on your part 🙂

cp

patricksingletrack – Singletrack Webby
    cp: do you have ads on or off?

I have them off.

cp

I’ll run AVG or something on the phone this afternoon, just to be sure.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Cheers cp, that suggests it may not be ad networks.

edlong
    Free Member

Surely if the adverts are tailored to your browsing habits (which everyone always says is the case) then you would expect only some users to be served the “dodgy” ones, no?

Wharfedale
    Free Member

I’m getting the same messages. Android KitKat 4.4

Selled
    Free Member

I have both AVG and malwarebytes running on android. I get the popups fairly frequently on both phone and tablet.

Mark

Not all the ads are targeted. Some are targeted at demographics, some using geographical data, some using past browsing data. We are treating this seriously and are looking under the hood and examining everything we can think of. But the suggestion that it’s happened to a user with ads turned off is causing some head scratching here.
    If anyone has any more technical details they can pass on to us, browser data, version etc then all of that will help us. The more details the better for us. And if you can post it directly to us at tech@singletrackworld.com that will be really helpful.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

This is not happening on my kindle fire or htc one. You guys sure you haven’t installed a file by accident that’s searching itself to your most used sites?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 236 total)

The topic ‘Admin: Malicious Advert’ is closed to new replies.