Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • A shed thread :)
  • kid.a
    Free Member

Great timing, and epic shed! Well done.

I’ve dreamt of having a proper garage/outbuilding with light and power for years now. Currently have a 3×8’ brick outhouse. 4 bikes in there is carnage.

We just sold out house (we had good fortune, and it sold in the first week!). So now we’re frantically house hunting.

Is it wrong that I dismiss anything (however nice) if it doesn’t have a proper garage, or considerable space for me to build some kind of man cave heaven???

I Zwift a lot in the winter, so want some where I have a nice permanent secure setup with a TV on the wall etc. Plus a workbench/tool storage, and wall hangers etc for the bikes. Also, door locks that meet insurance spec, so I don’t need to struggle d-locking everything down every time I go near the bikes. And an armchair, and a beer fridge…..oooo.

Is a garage better than a wooden shed/building?

Alex

@cokie – About 12×16 feet. Maybe 17. Tape measure was a bit short! If we ever clear the stuff stored out of the other side I could have a 24×32 foot shed. It would mean tho that I’d never be able to avoid looking at the turbo which is currently the other side of the wall…

We do have another old shed at the foot of the garden which has lawnmower and loads of other stuff that probably needs a clear out.

Alex

@kid.a – I’ve had both. Our old outbuilding was brick, it wasn’t insulated tho so got very damp. We built this one out of wood entirely on cost reasons. There was no way I was moving anywhere I couldn’t have a separate space for my hobbies. I didn’t mind much else about where we lived as long as it was rural and close to a pub. Ah well one out of two ain’t bad 😉

If you had an insulated garage, I guess that’d be more secure. There’s lots of security stuff going on in my shed that I’m not going to go into here. Suffice to say it passed a whole load of insurance questions when I wanted the bikes insured separately to the house contents.

I have Zwift setup in the other side. It’s blooming cold in the winter but then too warm if I turn the heater on. We have a sofa but no beer fridge. Probably for the best based on my beer consumption!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Those of you using sheds for turbo training, how do you deal with condensation in winter?

Currently debating between one big shed and two smaller ones for the top of the garden, then there’s the decision of whether to move bikes to the shed and keep the workshop in the garage (more useful for working on the car but less secure), or move the workshop upto the shed. Option C is just keep turbo training in the conservatory and keep the outside door open.

jam-bo

If we ever clear the stuff stored out of the other side I could have a 24×32 foot shed

4 times the size? !!

Alex

We no that’s my hooky maths, it’d be 24×16. Doh!

I’m not sure condensation was a huge problem last year. Obviously I sweated a lot but just wiped everything down and left it. I certainly didn’t have the door open when it was -1 outside!

BigJohn

My shed needs a bit of sorting but at least all my work  benches are the same height.

My shed needs a bit of sorting but at least all my work benches are the same height.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

My shed needs a bit of sorting but at least all my work benches are the same height.

Bikes?

BigJohn

There are 5 bikes tucked away behind the pocket hole machine; you can see the bars of a Cotic Soul peeking out and I’ve got 5 windsurfers suspended from the beams.
    I get my priorities right.

Tracey

Few of ours. I can also fit the Tourneo in. Need to get rid of our windsurfing stuff

kid.a
    Free Member

wall mounted bike work stand..genius!

Alex

I do like that wall mounted stand, but I also like a free standing one I can use outside. Both Tracey’s and Bigjohn’s are proper sheds without a doubt 🙂

Having watched that Seth’s shed video, I realised my shed-life would not be complete without

If nothing else it’ll stop me opening about 20 random containers with a ’no not that one either’ 🙂

My new modest shed – nothing fancy, cost circa £800 plus time/paint/wiring. Bit of work to do yet to get it finished…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hcyvYy]LRM_EXPORT_19437514118826_20190908_214849744[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hcAiJC]20190908_180109[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

plus-one

Looks good 🙂

Needs more locks and builders band securing roof to sides and around all locks oh and reinforce door too. And pins on hinge side of doors as well 🙂

Ground anchors
    Alarm

Cheers. Locks will come. It’s got a full domestic alarm 😉

canopy
    Free Member

also loving thread. when we moved in about 8 years ago i part converted the long, but single width garage + loft above. 4/5ths is a man cave with guitars/pc/xbox etc. real nice set up for 1 person. but i barely get in there since birth of my son 2 years ago.
    bikes either live in remaining 1/5 front part (inaccessible from outside as door is disconnected and reacking etc is against it and/or bikes are in the conservatory which is more of a large utility room really. all bike parts etc are in plastic tubs. all tools that get used are in a nice mobile toolbox. bags on hooks or in those wheeled folding cart things i use to carry my kit to the car and back.

if we were staying in this house i’d build an epic bike cave/zwift setup/workshop/home gym but o/h says due to school catchments etc we’re moving in a few years 😀 so i’m going to have my input on new house based on that based on those needs. ideally spaec to build the epic man+bike cave but dont mind splitting some uses across multiple places. i’ll put a few K into a garden man bunker if there’s no adaptable space in the new house.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Can I ask how you got that big grey beast to cost so little? Even on my trade account, just the timber for mine, which is about half the size, was more than that. Granted mine is frame built with 45×45 at 400 centres, but, still.

Can I ask how you got that big grey beast to cost so little? Even on my trade account, just the timber for mine, which is about half the size, was more than that. Granted mine is frame built with 45×45 at 400 centres, but, still.

It’s a Screwfix flat pack (sold third party for Shire Garden Buildings)

It’s about worth what it’s cost tbh. Not stellar quality, but good enough. I’ll strengthen as and when required. It’s only 10 X 10 – not sure how big it comes across on the pics

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ah, ok.

It looks bloody massive!

Mines an odd shape to fit an otherwise useless space (hence why I’ve had to build from scratch) is about 11/12ft at it’s longest and about 6ft wide, but is a sort of pentangle that’s been stretched out from one of its points.

It looks bloody massive!

Wide angle lens on the new Samsung phone 🙄

I’d have built my own, just don’t have time, fortunately this fits perfectly into the space available.

Summer house next, which I’ll spend a bit more on, but will still probably only be a Dunster House jobby

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Home garden office for me, but I’m leaving that until next year.

Yeah, that’s mostly the idea/justification for mine. Would like a contemporary looking square jobbie, with bifold doors etc, but can’t justify the cost for how long we’ll be staying. So it’ll be this, but painted to the current theme – Will fit in with the shed nicely though

Summer house

Saccades
    Free Member

Had to move the dart board from the kitchen to the shed, i don’t have any spare wall space so i have fitted a removable back board. Just need to fit some grommets to deaden the sound.

bigyim
    Free Member

Anyone got any wall storage ideas for bikes in the shed. Got quite a few and trying to maximize space. Trouble is some are road and some MTB with different wheelbases and forks etc

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have just bought a house with a garage …. Bikes live in shed normally , so excited to see this thread and all the ideas , cant wait till we move in and i start the garage 🙂

oikeith

Anyone got any wall storage ideas for bikes in the shed

How big is the shed? I was looking at hanging the bikes by the front wheel, but the width for where I wanted to do it was 2.7m and the bikes would still out roughly 1.3m, there is an adjacent worktop which is 600mm so wouldnt have left much space between.

I am now going to hang two from the ceiling with two beneth in a bike rack style rack, I do have enough headspace for this, you might not in a shed though

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘A shed thread :)’ is closed to new replies.