Home Forums Chat Forum “A” rated fridge freezer

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • “A” rated fridge freezer
  • muddyjames
    Free Member

Any exist under the new rating system? Can’t seem to find anything better than C.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t believe they do. It’s been a real goal post shift.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Bit of a stretch target then.

The ratings are now quite often difficult to find. Not surprising I guess as D or E isn’t such a great selling point as A+++

bigblackshed

They don’t exist, never have. The tests were very, very lax, they have now been made more strict so nothing gets, what was, a decent rating.

Bottom line is buy one that fits the bill with the longest warranty. At least it will get repaired if it fails rather than you having to replace it.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Is there anywhere to compare relative efficiency?

We have a ff, which works fine.

We’ve had it About 8 years bought secondhand and I’d say it was several years old then so I can’t help wondering if a newer one might be more efficient and so would pay back the outlay in reduced leccy bill.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think it’s like cars. The one with the lowest impact overall is the one you already own.

slowol

Currys and the like always used to provide an estimated power usage in kilowatt hours per year. If you can find that for your old freezer you can compare.
    Running cost of an 8 year old fridge freezer will likely be much less than a tenth of the price of new.
    As above the energy used to make the device means that unless it is broken or won’t fit in a new kitchen / house move / whatever then the most environmentally friendly thing to do is to maintain the one you have.

muddyjames
    Free Member

I’ve often thought that. The provocation for me today was an article on the beeb that quotes some “which” stats with pretty huge differences in running costs. Journalism obviously and very sparse details but they must have something to support the numbers they’re quoting.

Cougar

Any exist under the new rating system? Can’t seem to find anything better than C.

That’s exactly why there’s a new rating system. If “this is the best we can do today so that’s an ‘A’ rating…” then what happens tomorrow when we’ve improved?

Buy a new fridge, and chill.

footflaps

I think it’s like cars. The one with the lowest impact overall is the one you already own.

+1

They use very little energy, or at least ours does. I can see the compressor cycling on and off on our smart meter – it’s probably about £50 a year.

irc
    Free Member

According to Which annual costs vary from £37 to just over £100. e But the vast majority are between £45 and £65 per year. So very unlikely to make sense changing to save leccy but well worth choosing an efficient one when buying. Or at least avoiding one of the especially expensive ones.

Apart from one outlier even the American style vast fridge freezers are around £80-£100 per year.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/fridge-freezers/article/how-to-buy-the-best-fridge-freezer-a0EpY5V0403e#how-much-do-fridge-freezers-cost-to-run

With the caveat I think the Which report was probably before the recent jump in prices. If prices stay high it changesthe economics a bit.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

They’re quoting 21p/unit which is about right, no?

American style vast fridge freezers

About a unit a day here, give or take, measured by one of those plug in things.

YMMV.

Ours just got de-rated to “F”. Listed consumpton, 404kWh/yr. New model, “A+”, listed consumption, 385kWh/yr. Am confused.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘“A” rated fridge freezer’ is closed to new replies.