Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • a hatred or huge dislike for all things car…..
  • SD-253
    Free Member

IanW – Member
    I have utter contempt for anyone who parks on pavements, their cars should be crushed.

have complained to the scum bag police about them and they do nothing about it. When I am in Manchester I have to push my mothers wheel chair onto a busy A road because they don’t leave enough room on the pavement. Worse still they have huge drives most of the time with no cars parked in them.

SD-253
    Free Member

fervouredimage – Member
    People say the Tube is unpleasant but you don’t see anything like the same levels of aggression, bullying, lives being put in danger…
    You don’t use the tube enough.

he is talking about aggression and my occasional use of Manchester trams would suggest He is right. People who are not reading even avoid making eye contact. You can’t get less aggressive than that?

martinxyz
    Free Member

There’s no aggro up here. I mean, do folk even get pulled over for road incidents these days? :O)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

SD-253 – Member
    IanW – Member
    I have utter contempt for anyone who parks on pavements, their cars should be crushed.
    have complained to the scum bag police about them and they do nothing about it. When I am in Manchester I have to push my mothers wheel chair onto a busy A road because they don’t leave enough room on the pavement. Worse still they have huge drives most of the time with no cars parked in them.

The local rugby club had three pitches and on a Sunday morning there would be 6 kids teams there. Each child brought by a parent who would refuse to park around the corner and walk an extra 100 yds. They parked on the main rd. But as they didn’t want cause an obstruction they parked half on the narrow pavement, blocking it for pram pushers, and people walking with kids or dogs, forcing them onto the busy rd.
    So every Sunday morning for 5 weeks I would wait until the games started and then called the police to come and ticket them. And they did. After a while they had a word with the rugby club and they closed off a training area and made it car parking. And still the feckers would park on the roads.
    Selfish tits. And VERY aggressive when they found out it was me calling the police.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jaymoid – Member
    If there were no cars on the road I’d gladly cycle my commute every day

I would have done that on my last commute and it would have been quicker, the M60/62 is pointless in rush hour.

IanW
    Free Member

DavidB
    Free Member

I massively hate anyone who uses a car instead of a raincoat

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Aaaaand…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

So, don’t you drive then ton?

ton

So, don’t you drive then ton?

32 years cycle commuting come may this year mate.
    come rain wind and high water.

I hold a driving licence but rarely use it.

DezB
    Free Member

All things car… Even CAR THREADS piss me off. The way people come wailing in with their stupid and clearly wrong opinions. Argh.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

32 years cycle commuting come may this year mate.
    come rain wind and high water.

I hold a driving licence but rarely use it.

Yeah, I’m the same. Have a driving licence but I avoid driving as much as possible. I’ve actually reached the point that I just tell people I don’t drive. The looks of horror usually followed with ” but you’re a man…. How can you not drive?!”

Gary_M
    Free Member

the lazy shits who queue all the way into leeds every morning, and back out every night…….get up 10 minutes earlier and cycle in you lazy boneidle swines.

How do you know they don’t go to the gym pre/post work for example, have kids to pick up, a 2nd job, etc. Just because you choose to ride a bike it doesn’t meant everyone else is a ‘lazy idiot’ because they choose not to.

I ride to work 3 days a week, 40 mile round trip, I drive to work 2 days as I go to the gym before work. So am I a ‘lazy shite’ too?

i even have my own phrase for them that i mutter alot, “Cans of idiot”

You don’t really do that, do you?

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed – my elderly mother’s insurance is almost 3 times mine. Or wasn’t that the point you were trying to make? Whilst the most dangerous drivers (based on insurance premiums at least) are 17-25 year old males, elderly retired people are actually next behind them.

On a completely unrelated point, that Louis C.K. in the video up there should do driving awareness courses. I know what he was saying was supposed to be humorous (because people were laughing), but he could say the same words straight faced and be totally accurate.

mintimperial

I hate cars too. Nasty things.

McHamish
    Free Member

Seems odd to have a hatred for an inanimate object.

If someone hates drivers/cars because they always get involved in road rage or experience terrible driving, then there’s only one common element.

I was once cut up on an M25 roundabout and the bloke got out of his car at the lights and shouted at me…this was about 7 years ago and this was the last time I directly experienced road rage. I don’t claim to be a perfect driver.

tazzymtb

I like my car/truck/vehicle…I have to drive so I may as well do it in comfort.

If i could ride to work I would, but that is just not at all possible whatsoever and neither is public transport, so big monstrous vehicles for me.. 😀

spawnofyorkshire

The looks of horror usually followed with ” but you’re a man…. How can you not drive?!”

I’m early 30’s and don’t have a driving license at all. It does perplex people when you tell them and the only ones who give me grief about it have never used public transport and wouldn’t cycle anywhere anyway

I am planning on getting one some day, but not until i really need it

rocketman
    Free Member

Quite like cars and driving it’s just a shame that some people consider it a right and not a privilege

Ben_H

I’ve always had a tension between my love of cars and of bikes. At this moment in time, bikes are winning.

I’ve had a Clio Williams, Clio V6, Audi S3, Lancia Delta Integrale, Fiat Coupe 20V Turbos etc etc. I used to love maintaining a spotless car and driving them with consideration, but in the way their makers intended.

These days, driving just feels like a whole heap of hassle. I’m a bit wiser to the constant dangers of crowded roads (not least because I now do big business miles with work), but I also see more moronic driving associated with mobile technology and anger.

The best thing I’ve done in a long time is to exit this losing game and get a big and really nicely spec’d Volvo. It’s such a relaxing, serene vehicle; everyone is nice to me on the roads; no-one tailgates or tries to race me; and I am so much more comfortable. It even brakes for me if it thinks I’m about to hit a car or person.

I also cycle loads more… to the point where my commuting and general around town trips outweigh MTBing by 9 miles to every off-road mile.

This is the way forward chaps – cars that drive for you and more time on bikes. 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

The best thing I’ve done in a long time is to exit this losing game and get a big and really nicely spec’d Volvo car

very true

Some cars are really stressful to drive

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The best thing I’ve done in a long time is to exit this losing game and get a big and really nicely spec’d Volvo.

Sofas-on-wheels, or, 3-6 year old big “executive” motors, (preferably diesels these days) – my favourite second hand car sector.

I don’t hate driving. I quite like it. Go karting is ace, for instance.

What I don’t enjoy is spending a ton of cash to sit in slow moving traffic. That kind of sucks. Cars for me are now just transport. I try and drive outside rush hour as much as possible.

But, you know, commuting by bike has its own set of pros and cons.

SD-253
    Free Member

The car drivers that really get on my tits are the ones who move miles away from work and then complain about the time and cost of getting to work and then say how lucky you are for living so close to work. “I wish I could cycle to work” If they lived a mile away they wouldn’t cycle. Oh and the nob head who moved into a 5 bedroom house near me and said I wish I could afford to buy a bike like that. You have no idea how much it cost to run this house. May be you should have bought a smaller house?

fasthaggis

I dislike the cars that drive straight in to you while you are waiting at a junction. 🙁

Buggered front wheel ,trashed bar tape and a sore wrist.
    Funny,I was quite calm even though I never saw it coming,she was a freaking out .
    Bike in the LBS,feet up,ibuprofen ,tea and toast.
    Could have been a lot worse 🙄

tomhoward

Cars = Brilliant.
    Idoits that drive them < Brilliant.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Wish I could commute by bike 🙁

Cougar

Unless you’re waiting to turn right and can’t because of on coming traffic.

It’s not the logical failure that it first appears.

You’re not allowed to enter a box junction unless your exit is clear. If you’re turning right across oncoming traffic then your exit is clear, you just can’t immediately get to it.

IanW
    Free Member

aracer – Member

scotroutes » Must be true – because older people pay hugely inflated insurance premiums…
    … oh!

Indeed – my elderly mother’s insurance is almost 3 times mine. Or wasn’t that the point you were trying to make? Whilst the most dangerous drivers (based on insurance premiums at least) are 17-25 year old males, elderly retired people are actually next behind them.

Do you have access to that insurer data or is it based on these two policies?

Unless all other variables are the same, inception date, post code, driving history, excess, vehicle type, occupation, credit score, insurer, why presume its age?

17 to 25yrs old are that much a bigger risk as to make all other driver age risk variations negligable.

Over 75 may be seen as an increased risk by some but it usually just means claims history becomes more significant.

Over 80 would see an increased risk but tbh most people over 80 have worked out theres better ways of spending time than sat in a tin box.

donks
    Free Member

Wish I could commute by bike

This.

I hate my drive to work…its 21 miles and on a clear road its possible in 25-30 mins, but generally takes between 50-70 mins in all the piggin traffic. I dont care about bad drivers etc this doesn’t really get me stressed its all about time stuck in a frackin car that bugs me.

I can bike at least some of the way if I get a train to the city and then cycle the rest of the journey which is ok…ish, but it costs me silly money then as I cant buy a weekly or monthly ticket as I am often out of the office for odd days, and from the few times ive done this ive been held up with train delays so no time saved.

the most annoying thing is that there is no reason i cant work from home….NONE.. but the firm like bums on seats apparently, it gives them some security that we’re not shirking off. This would mean i could ditch the car and save thousands on fuel and ease the grid lock by one car…i would even take a pay cut to compensate them here but still a resounding NO.

fasthaggis

This is the first time that I have been knocked off in 14 years of commuting up here.
    Generally I don’t see that much bad driving and it’s not going to put me off.
    I will be back on the same route next week (car share tomorrow)as long as the frame has not twanged.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘a hatred or huge dislike for all things car…..’ is closed to new replies.