Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 950 total)
  • 6 nations thread, let the arguments commence
  • donsimon
    Free Member

What happened at the end??? Commiserations to the Irish and well done France.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Worst game of the weekend by far.

😆

Well chuffed for France.

Ah right, I see.

derp
    Free Member

What happened at the end???

The Irish booed Sébastien Chabal so karma kicked their ass 😉

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Just an opinion DD, god knows we have to suffer your bitter chip on the shoulder ones 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That was a good game – Do Ireland have two different teams, one for home & one for away?

Don’t come much closer than that. Ireland would have been out of sight if it were not for handing penalties to the French. Maybe that is an area England will look to exploit?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just an opinion DD

Ah now, don’t be getting shirty honey.

As for Chabal, yeah, that booing isn’t on at all! I think (hope) it was a bit of pantomime stuff.

Pigface
    Free Member

How one eyed is Keith Woods 🙂 comedy Irish try when O Gara miss kicked.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Even Keith Woods & Jiffy think England are the form team at the moment, i’ll go with the experts view 8)

namastebuzz
    Free Member

France brought their “B” game and Ireland still weren’t good enough to put them away.

Why do they persist with Sexton? He’s a bottler.

ROG, the “apple-cheeked whingemonkey”, isn’t the greatest but he’s still an international class stand off who can win games for you. So why leave him on the bench?

ton

not a bad game really.
    the irish need some go forward forwards tho.
    as did the french today.

rugby union gets a bit boring when it is decided with penalties.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

True Ton – League is boring all the time though! 😛

ton

bastid……….. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

France brought their “B” game and Ireland still weren’t good enough to put them away.

Agreed.

France were very average, but clinical when it came to taking points.

French Slam is looking likely, in my opinion.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah, micky pulling and wind-ups aside, I’m still a bit gutted at that result. We had the game to beat the French today, but we also had another game where we gave away silly penalties and allowed them to stay in touch. Add to that the handling errors, especially that one near the end, and we threw it away.

Positives to take away? We moved the ball well, our scrum was much improved and we slowed down the opposition ball…though France were out of sorts and helped us on that front. Heaslip was a big addition to the squad. McFadden looks good, as does Fitzgerald. Some of the younger players coming in also look good. We really do miss the bull Hayes though.

Negatives…too many, and enough to lose us the game. O’Connell still doesn’t look 100%, our line-out (which arguably was our best asset a few seasons ago, is struggling).

In reality, there’s not much between Ireland, England and France – each one has the game to beat any of the others. However, England, to me, have the brightest future. There’s a squad which may well win a slam this season and no doubt will go far in the RWC. While Ireland look slightly to be waning, England are certainly waxing.

I’m looking forward to the remaining games – England v France in London and Ireland v England in Dublin. I suspect France have had their one really bad game today though and as muddydwarf (expertly 😆 ) pointed out, still won. But that’s the mark of a class side – you stick in there and win games you sometimes shouldn’t. Probably how Ireland won a slam a couple of years ago.

Best of luck to France and England for the rest of the championship – they are the sides to beat now…there may yet be some surprises left.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Got to say its down to either the French or English to win it now. Roll on the 26th, potentially a great game.

Coyote
    Free Member

Agreed. Really looking forward to England vs. France.

bruk

On call this weekend and missed most of the games.Pretty lucky given the sound of the Scotland game. I will now revise my initial listing plump for us for the wooden spoon, not sure we can beat Ireland or Italy and England look like they will massacre us.

it’s all because some numpty put us down for being favourites against the Welsh. We can be relied upon to **** up when we are favourites.

Off to bed in a grump cause nobody I wanted to won this weekend. Don’t really care re England /Italy other than it would be nice for Italy to beat somebody other than Scotland/Wales and some irish mates are gutted after that loss.

anagallis_arvensis

Was quite impressed with the welsh performance, got into a healthy lead and then let Scotland try and play rugby, which they cant. Welsh defence was very good. Italy were appalling and really didnt show up, too many missed first up tackles. France were really quite funny, they seem to be trying to develop something but are too arrogant to adapt there game plan to the team they are playing, unless they tighten there defence a lot England should beat them, however if France to pull there head in a biot and actually try to target English weakness and put them under pressure it could be intresting. England need to by tested trying to chase a game before they can be tought of as really going places. They failed to really put Wales away because they could build tries, they seem to rely on mistakes by the other team too much.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i agree, what p*sses me off with wales is it takes a public flogging for the players to MTFU up, jamie roberts a perfect example, bolox they havent played for a while as a team, etc etc… you are given the honour of putting that shirt on you should play out of your skin EVERY game.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Interesting that Gatland said Wales played much better against England(defeat) than they did against Scotland (easy win).

People seem to be blaming Dan Parks and the rest of the backs for Scotland’s woes but the truth is their forwards came off second best to the Welsh and the much-vaunted back row especially. I don’t think Youngs and Flood would have done any better with a similar platform.

Scotland lack depth so in the (highly likely) event of some of their starting 8 not being fit, the pack is much weaker.

England France is the big one now. France have been hopeless at defending the narrow channels close to the breakdown and poor defensively in general so England must look at exploiting that. It’ll be interesting to see how France cope with Ashton. The Italians constantly tackled/held English support runners before they received the ball and I’d expect the French to do the same but more effectively. It’s interesting that Ashton actually gets ahead of the ball into offside positions so that he’s magically right on the shoulder of the tackled ball-carrier.

It won’t surprise me if he gets roughed up off the ball in the early stages or has his ankle trodden on “accidentally”.

If England don’t concede the dumb penalties that Ireland did and take their chances when they come (although there shouldn’t be as many) they should win.

That’s what’s great about the 6N though and why I love watching France – you never know what’s gonna happen. 😀

TimP
    Free Member

It’s interesting that Ashton actually gets ahead of the ball into offside positions so that he’s magically right on the shoulder of the tackled ball-carrier

Just watched the highlights and he is not in front for any of his tries?? Will watch the game during the week but it think he is just really quick. he chases down Bergamasco very easily when Italy intercepted on their own line (although he didn’t make the tackle he got back into position making everyone else look like they were running through treacle).

Scamper
    Free Member

If I was Ashton i’d be worrying about what is happening to my club side while I’m away. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d love for Ashton to be offside for his tries, but I don’t think he is either. There’s no doubt…disgusting swan diving apart…he’s a very exciting prospect for England. France will be very worried about him.

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve not noticed Ashton beiong offside at all and believe me I go out of my way to notice everything england players do wrong. He is poor in defensive alignment and in chasing back kicks and returning them though and if I was France I’d be working out ways to put him under pressure, he’s an excellent try finisher but lacks the all round game of the likes of 1/2p or Cueto for example, more of a modern day Rory Underwood.

Having said that my Gran could catch bergamasco and she’s been dead for 20 years.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

It was Mark Cueto (on the Beeb website) explaining how Ashton plays:

“There is an art to what he does and it is unbelievable. He just anticipates everything,”

“He will be tracking a play from 10 metres offside just in the hope that they will make a line-break and then he will be in that position.

“A lot of the times, if you are not offside, you are never going to be there.

“In the past, wingers have almost trailed the play from an onside position and if someone did make a line-break, you are 10m behind the play and it is difficult to get there.”

I really don’t see what all the brou-haha about his swan dive is? It’s just a bit of fun. I laughed out loud when he did the first one and again for his fourth try.

I couldn’t believe Keith Wood and Brian Moore going on about it either, Jonathan Davies clearly showed the difference between forwards and backs in that discussion. I’d have thought thousands of school kids mimicking Ashton on a Sunday morning would be GOOD for the game, not bad.

As for the finger wagging before scoring – no-one’s worried about Shane Williams doing it for years. Is it because no-one likes an arrogant Englishman? Which – incidentally – Ashton doesn’t come across as when he’s interviewed.

Bergamasco used to be pretty quick, I think he still is. He’s just got no heart.

brakes
    Free Member

I went to the England game on Saturday and I f***ing loved it.
    Not least because we won convincingly, that I saw 8 brilliant tries, nor that I heard 80k people (give or take a few Italians) singing ‘Sweet Chariot’ at full volume then clapping themselves for the rendition 🙂 , but that I’ve been to Twickenham 5 times in the last couple of years and it’s the first time we’ve won.
    Yes, Italy were bad, had massive holes in their midfield, lost their lineouts and couldn’t react to the most obvious England plays, but England had fast handling, were running with confidence and had some killer set plays – their confidence peaking with the set-up plays for Haskell in the second half which eventually paid off for him.
    I know we’re only two games in, but England are the team to beat.
    oh and Ashton is aided massively in the set plays that he finishes off, but they work so well because his pick-up speed from a standing start is incredible and can not be matched, this combined with impeccable timing mean that if he gets good ball he is unstoppable. 😀

toys19
    Free Member

1) Nice to see some appreciation of Cueto, he is an excellent player and sets up many a good move, always gaining ground and excellent defensively.

2)

I really don’t see what all the brou-haha about his swan dive is? It’s just a bit of fun.
    I couldn’t believe Keith Wood and Brian Moore going on about it either, Jonathan Davies clearly showed the difference between forwards and backs in that discussion. I’d have thought thousands of school kids mimicking Ashton on a Sunday morning would be GOOD for the game, not bad.

As for the finger wagging before scoring – no-one’s worried about Shane Williams doing it for years. Is it because no-one likes an arrogant Englishman? Which – incidentally – Ashton doesn’t come across as when he’s interviewed.

exactly.

duckman

IMO Cueto is a better player,indeed when he first appeared he was a finisher in the mold of what Ashton is doing now.He has developed his all round game a lot more the last couple of years.Mind you,he would get a lot of experience of defensive duties playing for Sale.

anagallis_arvensis

Bergamasco used to be pretty quick, I think he still is. He’s just got no heart.

wrong on so many levels I’m afraid, Bergmasco has never ever been quick but he does play the game with heart, sorry cannot agree with any of that.

Cueto is a good player, nice step and very comfortable tracking back and taking high balls. What I mean when I say the likes of him and 1/2p are better all round players is that you can imagine them playing full back and being comfortable you couldnt with Ashton.

As has been said no one gets stroppy with Shane doing his dives or Lee Byrne’s finger pointing.

Just read Gussetts BBC question and answer thing and he thinks Bryne should have been cited for Southwell running into his studs, the mans a joke!!

Shandy
    Free Member

England are the team to beat 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

England are the team to beat

With a big shitty stick. 😈

Shandy
    Free Member

Wise up don simon, they’ve beaten two of the worst 3 sides in the competition, world domination is the next step.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

wrong on so many levels I’m afraid, Bergmasco has never ever been quick but he does play the game with heart, sorry cannot agree with any of that.

OK maybe I was a bit harsh, he’s a great player (as they all are to be playing at that level). He IS still fast though – I’ve seen him score plenty of tries for Stade Francais over the years with a bit of pace- but he gave up on chasing Ashton for his fourth try before he’d even had a go at seeing if he could catch him or not. Most wingers would’ve at least gone to top speed for a few yards in pursuit to make the other guy work for it but Bergamasco just quit.

Just read Gussetts BBC question and answer thing and he thinks Bryne should have been cited for Southwell running into his studs, the mans a joke!!

Actually the funniest bit of the weekend was the first replay of Southwell idiotically running into the airborne Byrne when you see his expression turn from a look of determination into one of horror when he realises he’s about to impale his face onto Byrne’s boot!

Pigface
    Free Member

Ashton is a fantastic finisher, whether he will be more that a winger we will see. I wouldnt play him at full back or anywhere else. Still has league flaws that in Union can get you into all sorts of trouble. Iestyn Harris is the classic example.

Shame TJ isn’t about, his Cueto is rubbish statement looks a bit daft now. The Scottish backs woud love someone with half the skill of Cueto

Calling for Byrne to be cited is joke, when I played going up for a high ball you always kept your foot up, a bit of protection.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Calling for Byrne to be cited is joke, when I played going up for a high ball you always kept your foot up, a bit of protection.

Yep, but then the Gasman is a bit of a joke much of the time, isn’t he?

Southwell took the man out in the air. Dangerous play and a yellow card (At least). If the referee took pity on him because he was bleeding, then the referee was wrong. If Southwell was removed to teh blood bin, then a yellow card should have been given to his replacement for ten minutes.

Scamper
    Free Member

Cueto has been playing well – yes, he can spin out of tackles etc and make 20 yards through traffic around the half way line. zero tries recently is a worry – he is just not quick enough and perhaps i’m spoilt at Gloucester, but i like my wings quick.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ena Sharples is quick I will give you that, what news on Sinbad?

Cueto doenst need to score tries, just create space for the likes of Ashton.

Shandy
    Free Member

There are always a few players like Cueto in every good international side. He does the basics very well, his decision making is sounds, his error count is very low. Weaknesses are always going to be exposed at international level, especially out wide. Look at Earls for Ireland, gas to burn but he was all over the place in defence. The French just got nice a deep and spun the ball out to his wing and waited for him to give them a chance.

ocrider

The fact that Earls rarely passes when he sees the line doesnt help him either*. Hope for Munster/Ireland that he gets over that soon.

*Although he did once on Sunday to my astonishment.

Shandy
    Free Member

ocrider I couldn’t agree more, it has been a terrible decision from Munster and Ireland to try and turn him into a 13, all it has done is set back his development as a wing.

He is prone to trying to rush inside on defence, its a decent tactic from a 13 if you have good judgement, but he has nae wit and he is now rushing in off his wing like an U13.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 950 total)

The topic ‘6 nations thread, let the arguments commence’ is closed to new replies.