Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 950 total)
  • 6 nations thread, let the arguments commence
  • Scamper
    Free Member

Sinbad out for a few weeks. Not good with Big Les out for months too.

duckman

Calling for Byrne to be cited is joke, when I played going up for a high ball you always kept your foot up, a bit of protection.

I used to try and hit the catcher just as they landed,more chance of them smacking their head on the ground that way.The whole catcher being up in the air for evry catch is a fairly new thing anyway,even as recent as Gav Hasting used to plant themselves and then bounce you right off them (which was v.humiliating)

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Sinbad out for a few weeks

That’s a pity as he’d been recalled to the main squad for the Italy match so you’d have thought that any injury to one of the wings would’ve given him a chance to get back in.

It’s a real shame that his injuries have always come at the most inopportune moments. IIRC he was certain to start for England in the 2009 Autumn tests then injury put him out.

IdleJon

muddydwarf – Member
    True Ton – League is boring all the time though!

Just to follow up on this, I was flicking over to the Millenium Magic coverage in between games on the weekend. There didn’t seem to be anyone in the stadium. The entire upper tier was empty, and I’m guessing that the lower tiers were only about a quarter full. This may have been very different for the games I didn’t catch, of course.

But, the RFL are claiming a decent attendance:
    The return to the Millennium Stadium drew an aggregate attendance of 60,214 for the seven Engage Super League round-one games over two days, an increase of 8,171 on last year’s fixtures in Edinburgh and the second highest in the event’s five-year history.

Still quite a bit short of the Millenium Stadium’s capacity.

What exactly is the point of playing every game outside the heartland of RL?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So that the fans might experience some culture.

toys19
    Free Member

DD too funny..

IdleJon

deadlydarcy – Member

So that the fans might experience some culture.

Speaking of which, did you get to Swansea before Xmas, deadlydarcy? 😆 If so, how was Wind St?

(I’m guessing you didn’t come down because the weather was dreadful?)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I didn’t IJ, sadly. I had a mate’s wedding the same weekend. I know where I’d rather have been 🙄

whytetrash

yeah its a problem…haven’t the fans got to get back to feed their whippets?

IdleJon

haven’t the fans got to get back to feed their whippets?

That may explain why the stadium looked empty – most of the seats were booked for the whippets.

Scamper
    Free Member

Was surprised so many empty seats. Even though numbers through the turnstiles have been dropping in the last season or two in the Premiership, Twickers always seems to pull in huge numbers for the Union season opener with close to 80k.

anagallis_arvensis

The reason so many seats were empty is the same as why the twickers double headers look empty, people dont want to watch other peoples teams!

PS Come on France 😆

Scamper
    Free Member

The twickenham london double header had 75k this season?

Don’t mind watching any team if its not to expensive – seeing Sarries or Irish loose makes my day.

anagallis_arvensis

The twickenham london double header had 75k this season?

yet still didnt look full as a lot of the supporters head off to the pub when there teams played.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Lievremont is right though – the rest of us don’t like the English! 😉

anagallis_arvensis

its no wonder though is it
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/9402342.stm

England lock Tom Palmer believes France will be fired up to win their crunch Six Nations clash because England are seen as the “big boys” of world rugby

Foden said similar prior to the Wales game, bunch of big daft Tarquins

Scamper
    Free Member

What twickenham needs is a west country v midlands double header. 25K glos fans and 25k tigers fans for starters.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

England lock Tom Palmer believes France will be fired up to win their crunch Six Nations clash because England are seen as the “big boys” of world rugby

Foden said similar prior to the Wales game, bunch of big daft Tarquins

True, but Palmer qualified it by saying England are the biggest, wealthiest union with the largest pool of players – not that they’re the best.

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah selective quoting by AA if ever I’ve seen it this is what Palmer said (source Guardian so it must be true)

“Everyone hates the English, everyone raises their game when they come up against them. Even the Australians and the Kiwis don’t like us. It’s just the way it is … it’s part of our colonial history and the empire. I suppose England are essentially the biggest union. It’s always good to beat the big boys, isn’t it?”

If you look at the final and bronze final of each of the 6 RWC tournaments wales appears once as a bronze finalist in the very first tournament, and England appears 4 times, three of those were as finalists (including winning it ) and once as a bronze finalist. In recent years as the rest of the world has raised its game, wales has slipped steadily down the rankings. England came 2nd in the last tournament and one the previous one.

If you look at just the finals, Englands three appearances are only bested by Australia who also appeared three times, but have Won twice, NZ appeared twice (won once), France twice (never won), and SA twice (won twice).

I wonder who the big boys around here are?

anagallis_arvensis

To be fair its quality trolling by Palmer to mention the empire and all, doesnt explain why the Italians hate them too though does it? Or Argentina?

Bronze game FFS, its the third place play off, all the rest of your comments are negated by such idiocy.

In recent years as the rest of the world has raised its game, wales has slipped steadily down the rankings.

how manay 6 nations grandslams have the big boys won? He was talking about France anyway wasnt he?

Stuey01
    Free Member

Doesn’t take much imagination to work out why the Argies might have a teensy bit of a problem with the British, and by extension the English.

Pigface
    Free Member

Welsh centres look a bit battered so where will Gatland play Hook.

No point in arguing who hates the saes, the answer is everyone 😉

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Looking forward to Eng/Fra – the “Big Boys” 😉

Hopefully Lievremont will carry on picking that big, useless, lunk Damien Traille – maybe at Fly-Half or Full Back but even if he’s at centre he still keeps out Jauzion. With that other big, useless, lunk Huget on the wing it certainly helps England.

How hard is it to pick a back three for France?

Medard, Malzieu and Clerc.

Oh, it wasn’t hard at all.

toys19
    Free Member

Bronze game FFS, its the third place play off, all the rest of your comments are negated by such idiocy.

It is referred to as the bronze game by the IRB so you can call them idiots if you like.

But that is fine, negate the third place and wales don’t even appear in my little WRC comparison.

England have won 12 grand slams versus wales 10.

Get over it little brother, we will always look out for you and support you when you play anyone else, you will always bristle about it.

anagallis_arvensis

Davies has a tweaked hamstring apparently, so Hook will move back to centre if he’s out but the hope is he will be fit to play. Game will be won and lost elswhere regardless of who plays 10 for Wales, if the welsh lineout and scrum holds up they should be OK.

France: Maxime Medard; Yoann Huget, Aurelien Rougerie, Yannick Jauzion, Vincent Clerc; Francois Trinh-Duc, Dimitri Yachvili; Thomas Domingo, William Servat, Nicolas Mas, Julien Pierre, Lionel Nallet, Thierry Dusautoir (captain), Sebastien Chabal, Imanol Harinordoquy.

Replacements: Clement Poitrenaud, Guilhem Guirado, Sylvain Marconnet, Jerome Thion, Morgan Parra, Julien Bonnaire, Damien Traille.

Medard at Full back and Chabal in the backrow are this weeks somewhat strange calls from Livermont. On paper they look very strong, but have shown too many defensive weakness to worry England

Toys clam down dear, you’ll have a hear attack. So you are a post England world cup rugby follower? Try again with the number of England (and Wales) Six Nations Grandslams.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Get over it little brother, we will always look out for you and support you when you play anyone else, you will always bristle about it.

That’s what the Jocks, Taffs and Micks hate the most about the English!

😆

France: Maxime Medard; Yoann Huget, Aurelien Rougerie, Yannick Jauzion, Vincent Clerc; Francois Trinh-Duc, Dimitri Yachvili; Thomas Domingo, William Servat, Nicolas Mas, Julien Pierre, Lionel Nallet, Thierry Dusautoir (captain), Sebastien Chabal, Imanol Harinordoquy.

Oh no! Lieveremont’s got something almost right. Maybe he was on here looking for pointers? Mind you, what exactly did Morgan Parra do to get himself dropped?

Anyone? 😕

toys19
    Free Member

Toys clam down dear, you’ll have a hear attack. So you are a post England world cup rugby follower?

Thanks Mr Winner, (you edify yourself by quoting him) indeed I am, and a pre follower, took and interest in the 70’s which really took hold since I started playing in 1982.

Try again with the number of England (and Wales) Six Nations Grandslams.

I have been deliberately avoiding that. I think the big brother might have been a bit tired in the last 10 years although just because you have won 2 grand slams it doesn’t negate the fact that you have only one it twice and we have on it 3 times. (france have 3 gs and 5 wins)

anagallis_arvensis

So France have 3 grand slams compared to Englands one yet England are the big boys? Righto carry on, as you were!

Stuey01
    Free Member

Oh no! Lieveremont’s got something almost right. Maybe he was on here looking for pointers?

Monkeys with typewriters… Was bound to get something right eventually.
    Still Chabal in for Bonnaire is a strange one.

toys19
    Free Member

AA if it makes you feel better to narrow down the definition to the last 10 years then so be it, but over time since the five nations began France have only had 9 GS and 17 tournaments verses our 12 GS and 25 tournaments.

But I wasn’t talking about France, I consider them to be one of the big boys too, but as you selectively quoted Palmer to further promote your own little obsession with hating England (and you seem content to make yourself happy by selectively quoting results too.) I thought I would point out how you really are not one of the big boys on a global scale.

I’ll buy you a pint of SA this autumn to welcome you into the big boys club when, after you have beaten South Africa, Fiji and Samoa, you knock us out of the world cup. Although we might not make it past the Argies and if we do might not get a chance to meet you until the final.. 😀

Pigface
    Free Member
    anagallis_arvensis

You’d have to be very drunk or very stupid or probably both to try punching Jamie Roberts 😮

Toys PALMER WAS TALKING ABOUT FRANCE! My quote was taken from the headline from the BBC website.

I am quite comfortable with the fact Wales will most likely never win a world cup, couldnt give a stuff.

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Morgan Stoddart (Scarlets), James Hook (Ospreys), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Shane Williams (Ospreys); Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Paul James (Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Scarlets, capt), Craig Mitchell (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues), Ryan Jones (Ospreys).
    Replacements: Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), John Yapp (Blues), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues).

Good to see 1/2p back hopefully he can be given a half to get ready for the Ireland and France games, Stoddart still tackles like mr Tickle

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoddart still tackles like mr Tickle

I’ve never heard Ronan o’Gara called that before.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

You’d have to be very drunk or very stupid or probably both to try punching Jamie Roberts

Well seeing as the guy was outside a nightclub at closing time and presumably Welsh he probably qualifies on both counts! 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

AA if it makes you feel better to narrow down the definition to the last 10 years then so be it, but over time since the five nations began France have only had 9 GS and 17 tournaments verses our 12 GS and 25 tournaments.

That’ll be a 53% rate of success for the French against 48% for england, how that maths work then and who the big boy now?

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s what the Jocks, Taffs and Micks hate the most about the English!

That’s not the reason why the english are hated.

anagallis_arvensis

I reality the main reason why the english are most hated is because they love being hated and play up to it at every opportunity. “Everyone hates us and we dont care”

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I reality the main reason why the english are most hated is because they love being hated and play up to it at every opportunity. “Everyone hates us and we dont care”

Plus of course, being hated by the Celts et.al. is rather like being savaged by a dead sheep…. 😛

(With apologies to Geoffrey Howe)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bloomin’ potential Grand Slam decider game and i’m gonna miss it!

MsD’s 40th birthday so i’ve booked a weekend in a lovely little pub up in Eskdale. Gonna miss the game but at least we’ll be riding our bikes at Whinlatter!

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 950 total)

The topic ‘6 nations thread, let the arguments commence’ is closed to new replies.