Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 950 total)
  • 6 nations thread, let the arguments commence
  • IdleJon

maxray – Member

to a team of professionals with far less resources and a relatively minuscule player-pool.

Getting your excuses in. If Ireland had played like throughout they would have won the 6 nations.

Talking about player numbers, resources or funding isn’t an excuse, it’s a reality.

England massively underperform every year if you consider how the player base they have (Number Of Registered Players:
    2549196) compares to Ireland for example (Number Of Registered Players:
    153080) or Wales (Number Of Registered Players:50557) or even NZ (Number Of Registered Players:137835).

So England have over 2million players compared to 50,000 Welsh players. Why don’t England absolutely annihilate Wales every single time, and amusingly why do they need Kiwis and Saffers filling up the national team?

Add in the huge amount of money in the English game, the blanket coverage by the national press (were Ireland playing this weekend? Not if you read some newspapers.), the fact that the BBC can only address a question if it involves an English team and you are getting close to the reasons why non-English supporters love beating the English.

brakes
    Free Member

so plenty of money, support and players won’t get you the best team, but it makes you ripe for contempt? fair enough if it’s done in jest and done to wind people up, but if there’s vitriol behind it… then that’s just petty.

backhander
    Free Member

England massively underperform every year if you consider how the player base they have (Number Of Registered Players:
    2549196) compares to Ireland for example (Number Of Registered Players:
    153080) or Wales (Number Of Registered Players:50557) or even NZ (Number Of Registered Players:137835).

Exactly what you’d exepect to hear from a sore loser. Shit excuse.
    NZ have less players than most and are consistently one of the strongest teams on the planet. NEXT

IdleJon

brakes – Member
    so plenty of money, support and players won’t get you the best team, but it makes you ripe for contempt? fair enough if it’s done in jest and done to wind people up, but if there’s vitriol behind it… then that’s just petty.

Contempt? I’m sure the Welsh/Irish/Scottish teams respect the English team as much as they deserve. The fans all drink together. Not sure where you are going with that.

BUT, thinking about it – the media started talking about an English slam after the Welsh game. Indeed last weekend, it was a certainty – before they’d even played Scotland. The contempt maybe comes from the English? Justifying the amusement WE get from seeing rich big brother fail?

Vitriol? Are you serious?

backhander, sorry I must have confused you because there was no reference to Godlike Jonny W in my earlier post. I do apologise.

anagallis_arvensis

as you say Ireland have beaten Eng a lot recently

Ireland beat England a lot because they are strong where england are strong in the front 5 and backrow (scrumaging apart as the irish are often weak in the scrum). Wales beat England less because england can bully wales upfront but that doesnt work against ireland.

NZ have less players than most and are consistently one of the strongest teams on the planet. NEXT

thats like comparing apples with pears, rugby is THE only sport in New Zealand that matters so they get all the best sportsmen

anwayteam of the tournament?

1. Mas
    2. Hartley
    3. Domingo
    4. O’Connell
    5. Nallet
    6. Harry Ordinary
    7. Warburton
    8. Parisse

9. Para
    10. Dont know
    11. Clerc??
    12. Lamont
    13. O’Driscol
    14. Bowe
    15. Foden

brakes
    Free Member

as long as it’s banter IdleJon, then that’s fair enough 🙂 I just don’t like how England is often derided and doesn’t stick up for itself for fear of having an opinion rather than sitting on the fence.
    I can see what you mean about the BBC coverage, they seemed a bit more balanced with the Ireland match yesterday until Brian Moore opened his stupid fatuous mouth.

anagallis_arvensis

In othernews who did Shaun Edwards have a fight with?

Conqueror
    Free Member

anwayteam of the tournament?

1. Mas
    2. Hartley
    3. Domingo
    4. O’Connell
    5. Nallet
    6. Harry Ordinary
    7. Warburton
    8. Parisse

9. Para
    10. Dont know
    11. Clerc??
    12. Lamont
    13. O’Driscol
    14. Bowe
    15. Foden

I though Chris Patterson played well for Scotland, barely missed a kick, and made at least 2 excellent try saving tackles… the one against England was notable

IdleJon

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    In othernews who did Shaun Edwards have a fight with?

The team psycho according to planetrugby’s forum. 😆

http://forum.planet-rugby.com/index.php?t=msg&th=220031&start=0&

IdleJon

I though Chris Patterson played well for Scotland, barely missed a kick, and made at least 2 excellent try saving tackles… the one against England was notable

But he’s still not good enough to displace any of the team that a_a posted.

He is a bit of an enigma to me. If he couldn’t kick so well, would he be in the Scottish team?

anagallis_arvensis

Paterson is shit his kicking isnt even that good from any distance.

IdleJon

brakes – Member
    as long as it’s banter IdleJon, then that’s fair enough

Too many English people in my family to be too horrible to them, brakes… 😉

(It’s just a cross we have to bear I suppose. Living in a verdant mountain bike paradise, riding straight from my door onto proper hills. A decent rugby team 5 minutes away. Beautiful sandy beaches, trout leaping from the streams, fantastic brewery up the road. No wonder the English try to get green cards….. 😆

Well, it’s not raining today. And I may be lying about the rugby team seeing as it’s the Ospreys.)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Patterson is au underrated player – he is faster than folk think,good tackler, elusive runner with the ball in hand. I don’t think Foden has looked that good in the last couple of matches

Gray has to get a place in a team of the tournament

anagallis_arvensis

Gray and Davies will make a wonderful Lions pairing in time but I dont think either are good enough yet, Gray catches the eye but has he enough grunt?

and Patterson is shit, sorry, whilst he may be one of Scotchlands best backs he wouldnt get in any other 6 nations team apart from maybe Italy for his kicking. Masi looks a better fullback.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I just had a look at the first page of this thread – lots of predictions, none correct that I could see

England – improveda dn generally more consistent. Badly missed Croft and Lawes, need some pace in the back row and a centre with some skill
    Worthy winners of the 6N, not good enough fora grand slam, nothing to scare the southern hemisphere teams 7/10

France – I though Leiveremnent was using all those players in preparation so he knew all the best combinations and had 2 players for every position. Instead it look like he hasn’t got a clue. France end up much less effective than they should be 5/10

Ireland – aging team able to pull off a performance when needed. Lucky to end with 3 wins. Who coated Darcys hands with grease? couldn’t hold a pass all tournament. 5/10

Wales – looked directionless and weak in some areas. Better performance that I expected. 5/10

Scotland – a major disappointment. I thought we finally had a team to do something – not the greatest back line but the forwards should be able to win lots of ball and dominate games. Instead the set piece crumbled and teh whole team was simply not good enough. No hunger from some players. Unlucky only to have one win but hardly deserved more 4/10

Italy – was this the season they came of age? Only one real beating and unlucky to only get one win – but what a win it was!
    6/10 simply for the improvement and beating France

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I didn’t see the problem with Moore, especially yesterday. He’s brutally honest. Maybe that’s what some people don’t like. I’m happy to accept he’s an England fan. I couldn’t bear to watch the Irish national broadcaster’s coverage. It’s embarrassingly one-eyed.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

All the former players-turned-pundits are biased, only to be expected. I like Moore’s commentary and i can listen to jiffy explain the plays etc til the cows come home, what he doesn’t know about the game isn’t worth knowing i would say.

duckman

I enjoyed this,see you all next year.

DezB
    Free Member

I think TJ’s last post is the only one I’ve agreed with 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Team of the tournament was Italy for sure. Brilliant improvement and by far the most energy and commitment I reckon. Made all 5 games a challenge and good to watch, instead of merely being guaranteed wooden spoon insurance.

We despair. I have no idea why

DD, it’s the Celtic mindset 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

😮

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh look. Its got a nice rose on the top 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Weighs a fair bit.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

New IRB rankings nuts!
    (but funny)
    😀

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

8)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It begs for a punchline but I’m being nice today.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Well played Ireland on Saturday, they really brought an intensity to the match that blew England away. Worthy winners on the day.
    It was a disappointing performance from England, gutted really, overall championship win not much consolation after giving up the Grandslam with such a whimper.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Are you licking that tawdry trophy chunky?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Are you licking that tawdry trophy chunky?

Almost… I got told off for a finger print. 😐

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Miserable buggers.

who was it that played rugby down rose street with the it ( or was it the Calcutta cup)?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the almost priceless Calcutta Cup itself came in for some rough treatment as Scotland’s John Jeffrey and England’s Dean Richards (a policeman in the real world) kicked the 110-year-old trophy down Edinburgh’s Princes Street.

“When we took it away it wasn’t damaged and when we brought it back it was,” a groggy Jeffrey admitted. “I have to say we were responsible.”

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Dean Richards and John Jeffrey? Calcutta cup.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Congrats to the U20’s too, some real talent coming through the system now.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

women as well IIRC – they got a grand slam did they not? Better than the men

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yep, they showed the men how it is done. Trophy is on it’s way down the office. Pic to follow 😮

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tawdry bits of tin. Who cares.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Those people that work hard in the game I guess.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its only sour grapes from me. I’m still disappointed how poor Scotland were. 2000 was the last time Scotland won owt IIRC

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You won though – you’re from further south than me! 😉

And I’m half Irish!

anagallis_arvensis

just watched a highlights prog of the last three games, the England and Welsh yellow cards were utter and complete jokes, shocking decisions 👿

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 950 total)

The topic ‘6 nations thread, let the arguments commence’ is closed to new replies.