Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 27.5+ (27.5 Plus) Tyres not strong enough – anyone found the answer?
  • freeride_addict
    Free Member

Im at the end of my tether here. I love the way plus tyres ride and I love my plus bike, its just great for everything really. But I ride rocky, knarly trails and even running well into the 20-s psi (plus recommendation is usually sub-20 psi) Im forever getting flats. Like, every ride almost, I either puncture the casing or pinch the sidewall itself, usually at the bead.

Im running Maxxis Rekon. Grip is amazing actually, but they just are too light and flimsy in the casing.

Ive seen the new 2.8″ bigh rollers and minions but are they really any stronger? I dont want more grip – Ive enough of that already! I just want tyres that dont blow up on me every ride.

Does such a thing exist, or am I going to have to get rid of the plus bike? Surely not?!

rmgvtec
    Free Member

Assume you’re running tubeless?

LMT
    Free Member

Running spesh ground control 3.0 on mine, not had a puncture yet, although when the weather changes a bit I move to my other bike will be going tubeless, just need some down time for a bit.

jam-bo

Yep. Went back to 29r for the same reason.

tjagain

YOur pressures are too low. Is the 20psi the tyre companies recommendation or internet experts.

If yo get pinch flats your pressures are too low for the type of riding / rider you are.

wiggles
    Free Member

I`m 16st and I run mine at 12-15psi and havent had a puncture in the year ive had a plus bike, currently on 3″ nobby nic/rocket ron, previously on specialized.

Live in south wales so been used on everything from rocky trail centre stuff to in the woods steep loamy tech stuff and I wouldnt change it.

benpinnick

Maxxis WT tyres are the only ones I have found that come close to being ‘full strength’ but wider than normal. You’ll loose a fair chunk of volume mind, but they are both wider and taller than normal tyres, with a proper shape rather than too square when you fit them on big rims. Not tried them on bigger than 35mm internal, but you should be fine up to 40 – 45 I would imagine before they get a bit weird.

Rubber_Buccaneer

wider and taller than normal tyres

Have you run them in a non plus Pike with a mudhugger? Or are they intended for plus?

jam-bo

i think its a combination of:

thin sidewalls to keep the weight down, (a plus tyre built to the same construction as a normal tyre would be about twice the weight),

the fact low-ish pressure feel right on the trail in terms of grip and rolling,

higher pressures feel skittish and pogo like on a plus tyre.

the nature of tyre acting as an effectively very linear air spring. once you hit it hard, there is a very little resistance to it bottoming out on the rim and a snakebite is almost certain.

I think the fact that almost no-one uses them competitively speak volumes.

BadlyWiredDog

The answer is: WTB Ranger TSC Tough. Heavy but very robust with super thick sidewalls – you can hear and feel it bottom occasionally, but hasn’t punctured yet. Still pretty quick rolling though. Works for me in the Peak on the back of a b+ hardtail, everything else I’ve used – Schwalbe, WTB, Rekon+ – has flatted on rocks.

Or Pro Core with a normal b+ tyre. Not cheap, but should work.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Vee Tire Crown Gem… grippy and robust.

Their whole range is worth a look.

ajantom

Is this a problem of 27.5+ tyres? I’ve been running 29+ tyres tubeless for 2-3 years and not had any issues.
    I could never get the original Knards to go up tubeless. But have been running Maxxis chronicle front and Vee Rubber Trax Fatty rear, and both seem solid as.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just trying out a set of Apex-lined 27.5 Nobby Nics. In theory, they should be fairly tough.

About to install a set of Huck Norris on my 29+ 120tpi Dirt Wizards to reduce pinches too.

All tubeless

postierich
    Free Member

Gone with the Ranger tough WTB tyres not had chance to ride them yet as I am in the middle of the build

Northwind

Thing is, sure you can add pressure to reduce pinch flats. But Plus is a bit like fat, you want low pressure to make it work. A hard Plus tyre that isn’t giving you the extra splodge and conformity and contact patch isn’t really working. So IMO that’s not the answer, you need a solution that lets you use the pressures you want or you might as well not bother.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What he said^^^

BadlyWiredDog

Like I said above, the WTB TCS Tough casing Ranger works. I run it at 15psi on the rear of a hardtail. In the Peak District. I’m not a manically aggressive rider, but but it’s rocky round here and I was pinch-flatting pretty much every other ride with other 650b+ tyres. It’s slightly more sluggish feeling than a lighter tyre, it weighs a claimed 1025g compared to 783g for the TCS Light version, but it seems to do what it says on the can and is a nice all-round rear tyre at least.

After wasting months of my life wrestling other tyres off a WTB Scraper rimmed wheel, it’s a compromise happy to embrace. There’s a whole substantial thread on this topic:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/275-28-tyres-anything-with-a-sidewall-not-made-of-cheese

Your next question will be along the lines of ‘which 650b+ tyre for winter mud’ – there’s a thread on that too:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-275-plus-tyres-for-wintermud

The answer to question one and question two aren’t necessarily compatible though… I still think Pro Core is probably the very expensive answer. 😐

muggomagic

Would the huck norris things help?

bodgy
    Free Member

I’ve heard good reports about the Surly Dirt Wizards 27.5+ x 3.0.

honourablegeorge

Friends who tried Huck Norris on normal tyres said it was a waste of money

benpinnick

Have you run them in a non plus Pike with a mudhugger? Or are they intended for plus?

Yes but it’s probably a bit too tight when there’s actually any real mud.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks, my 2.3 tyres don’t leave much room so I did wonder.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ (27.5 Plus) Tyres not strong enough – anyone found the answer?’ is closed to new replies.