Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 338 total)
  • 27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?
  • Alex

I did like the WTB ranger for the first two rides. Then I took it somewhere rocky where it lasted exactly one descent 😉 I’ve almost bankrupted the family by fitting two Rekon+ to the FlareMax at the moment but I really need a spare before going somewhere very rocky next weekend.

I cannot face buying ANOTHER rekon+ and I’m still not entirely sold on their durability anyway. Problem is uses I’m missing something nothing in 2.8 flavour that’s any better. Nobby Nic maybe? Bit more choice in 3.0 but it’s the rear I’m worried about most…

Any thoughts?

bedmaker

I have a few Schwalbe Snakeskin tyres and it really does seem to be very tough stuff.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nobby nic 2.8 up front, been using it for 6 months now, seems a good un. Rear may be a different story, who knows. I have a WTB 2.5 breakout on the rear, it’s a beast of a tyre weightwise, but I don’t mind that as a trade off for puncture protection…

mountainman

A lot of sidewalls seem extremely flimsy,shredded a conti mountain king 2.2 last week,ok it was 3 years old!

Went into halfords and came out with a conti Baron seems more the beast,performed well enough in the forest n across rough fire road type surface.

muggomagic

Specialized do the Ground control with a grid casing now but it’s a 3 inch (need to scroll down to the bottom of the page for details)

Link

muggomagic

Just seen that they are doing the Slaughter in 2.8 with grid casing too!

Slaughter GRID

Looks like specialized are grabbing the bull by the horn as Purgatory and Butcher are also available in 2.8 and grid casing. Plus only £45 each.

Alex

Can’t get a 3.0 in the back. The Slaughter looks ideal but no UK stock yet unless again I’m having monday morning google-fu issues. NN could be a backup. I’m still traumatised tho by running the old 2.2s a few years ago. I was investing heavily in puncture repair kits back then!

I’ve bought a couple of ‘elephant condom’ inner tubes. Thing with the chubby tho is don’t want to run the pressures too high as it kind of defeats the object. But also don’t want to spend hours patching tyres and tubes! It’s a proper first world problem 🙂

honourablegeorge

Rekon is better than the NN for me so far, durability wise. Had a nightmare with the NN on the rear. Need to nudge pressure down a bit now though, was sliding out a little more on the Rekon at the weekend, so that’ll test the durability a bit more.

Alex

What pressures are you running? I was at 16/14 which felt great. Until it became 0/14 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Specialized do the Ground control with a grid casing now but it’s a 3 inch (need to scroll down to the bottom of the page for details)

And a Purg.

They also do them both in 2.6, which is what I’m considering for the HT. Can’t justify a Rekon.

As said above, scroll down the page. The option’s not available on the dropdown.

singlespeedstu

I’ve been running Rekon+ back and front for a while now with out a puncture.*
    So far survived 3 uplift days, a week in Verbier and some quite rocky trailcenter and natural riding.
    Got another week in the Alps soon then a week in Spain to see how long they last.

*I’ve maybe blown it now by talking about it. 😕

honourablegeorge

Rekon is 60 euro form Germany

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

So far survived 3 uplift days, a week in Verbier and some quite rocky trailcenter and natural riding.
    Got another week in the Alps soon then a week in Spain to see how long they last.

I’m just jealous of your holiday schedule. 😉

Rekon is 60 euro form Germany

Which shop? I couldn’t find it under €75, with €15 to post.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

watching this thread

trusty

Alex, just take one of the other bikes. Or put some proper wheels in the cotic 😉

lornholio
    Free Member

No. Light/strong: pick one. Only the “light” option currently exists.

There is no way that the 2.6 & 2.8 Butcher Grids have the same casing strength as the 2.3. They’re probably the lighter version of the Grid casing found on the Purgatory Grid (much thinner sidewalls, slightly thinner tread casing), if not an even lighter casing – look at their spec weight compared to the 2.3. A 0.1″ width increase in normal tyres from other brands adds about 100g, compared to the Butcher’s 15g per 0.1″ increase over the 2.3 Butcher Grid.

Alex

@trusty – well H has his 29in wheels as spares. Obviously tho they won’t fit into a boost frame… Shame I’ve sold the fat bike – go the ‘full inappropriate’.

@stu – sounds promising…

honourablegeorge

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

Which shop? I couldn’t find it under €75, with €15 to post.

I was talking about the dual, stuck it on the rear, but bike24.com and bike-components.de both have it for 60, with 10eur postage. 75 for the 3c, yeah

Cheap relative to what some sites are asking, but yeah, it stings a bit

BadlyWiredDog

I destroyed two Trailblazers at normal speed in the Peak, sidewalls made of tissue paper. I’ve now fitted a 2.8 NN SS up front and a 2.8 SS Rocket Ron at the back. The latter actually has more pronounced side-knobs than the Trailblazer, but just fits with a little clearance.

So far they’ve been fine in the Peak and work well as a combination – pretty quick, decently grippy. I’d prefer Maxxis – the rubber compounds are better ime – but the prices are just ridiculous. I can’t guarantee they won’t die, but they seem, so far, to be significantly more robust than the Trailblazer.

I run around 15psi front and 16psi rear, though I think my track pump over-reads slightly. I reckon a Rekon+ front and 2.8 Rocket Ron rear would work quite nicely.

honourablegeorge

You can’t mix Maxxis and Schwalbe plus tyres. Seriously., I have it right now and the MAxxis Logo is FOUR TIMES as big as normal, rubbing salt in a massive OCD wound.

Rekon is a shade skinny versy the Nic too. I wish they’d hurry up and get the 2.8 Minions or High Rollers in the shops. Anyoen seen them on sale online yet?

singlespeedstu

Anyoen seen them on sale online yet?

I think they’re being stored in the same place as my Fastforward frame. 🙁

honourablegeorge

singlespeedstu – Member

I think they’re being stored in the same place as my Fastforward frame.

No sign yet? I remember that pain.

They did send me some of their resesigned dropouts FOC which was nice

singlespeedstu

TBH.
    I’ve kind of tried to forget about it until it arrives.

benpinnick

The NNic is a great tyre grip wise IMHO, but its utterly, absurdly easy to destroy I have found. Mine lasted about 50km each. Which is a hell of an expensive habit at around £1 per KM.

I still have a new 3.0 NNic sitting around Alex. Go buy a couple of t shirts on my store or something and you can have the it for free in the box. See if you can get any more life from one!

birdage

2.8 NN been fine as a rear tyre. Nothing outstanding but not had a puncture on flinty, rooty stuff yet. Could do with something a bit faster so trying an Ardent till the slop takes hold.

Brown
    Free Member

Maxxis, particularly EXO, have always been considerably tougher than Schwalbe for me. I’d take a Rekon over a NN any day.

jam-bo

I’ve done 350miles of fairly hard riding on 2.8 NN’s now.

Had one hole in the sidewall that wouldn’t seal but an anchovy has fixed it.

Other than that they aren’t showing a great deal of wear.

I’m not running super low pressures though and it’s on a full suss bike.

20psi in the rear and about 15psi in the front.

Alex

I still have a new 3.0 NNic sitting around Alex. Go buy a couple of t shirts on my store or something and you can have the it for free in the box. See if you can get any more life from one!

Cheers Ben, I’ll go buy some now 🙂

I do like a good tyre thread…..

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I was talking about the dual, stuck it on the rear, but bike24.com and bike-components.de both have it for 60, with 10eur postage. 75 for the 3c, yeah

Great – thanks HG.

I do like a good tyre thread…..

Nothing better. 😉

muggomagic

Ben did you ever get the Maxxis HR or minion 2.8″ samples in?
    Were they any good?

benpinnick

.. Not sure. I have about 1500 tyres in the warehouse, they may be in there somewhere 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

.. Not sure. I have about 1500 tyres in the warehouse, they may be in there somewhere

And I thought I was a serial tyre hoarder… 😉

Alex

I bet it smells lovely. Occasionally I pop into next day tyres just to have a sniff. My wife refuses to accept this constitutes normal behaviour!

muggomagic

Ok. We had an email conversation a while ago and you mentioned you were due to get some in to try. Just wondered if they were any good.

Alex

I’ll be happy when I can run a HR/DHF or even DHF/Ikon combo. It’d be nice if they priced them more sensibly. Can’t see it tho…

rOcKeTdOg

Bomboloni has survived a rocky 24hr race & 2 months so far, deffo not a winter tyre though

muggomagic

Sensible pricing seems out of the question unless buying from Germany.
    I’m off to Afan in October and doubt we’ll see the minions or HR before then so think I might go for 3.0 NN front and rear. I’ll make sure I take my current tyres as spares.

honourablegeorge

3.0 NNs are the same weight as 2.8s and are accordingly thinner

muggomagic

They’re all of 50g heavier. That’s a lot of extra rubber! 😕 I see on the schwalbe website that they are listing plus tyres with APEX casing.
    It’ll be interesting to start seeing some reviews of the next wave of plus tyres with the thicker sidewalls. 2017 could be a great year for proper 27+ tyres.

muggomagic

The 27.5 x 3.0 Ranger in TCS light dual DNA at 835g is around 300g lighter than the equivalent Trail Boss and 400g lighter than the Bridger, not so surprising that it didn’t last so long. I might stick with the Bridger up front and get a trail boss for the rear. At £40 from CRC it will hopefully keep me going until the beefier tyres come along. I’m loathe to pay £150+ for a pair of Maxxis Rekons now when the Minion/HR are the ones I really want.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 338 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ 2.8 tyres – anything with a sidewall not made of cheese?’ is closed to new replies.