• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,161 through 3,200 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • binners

Over 300,000 people registered to vote in one day this week.

It’s not looking like voter apathy is going to be an issue this election, which is a healthy thing

dazh

Something tells me Sajid Javid will be joining JRM and Priti Patel in a locked room for the next 3 weeks.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Devolution is a good idea, and the UK is unlike most other places in that lower levels of gov’t (a region, or a city/town) have autonomy over certain areas and a way to raise money independent of the higher levels but you have to have a system of equalising areas. Otherwise you end up with areas that have carpeted pavements to save wear and tear on their loubitins and other areas which don’t have schools
    Kind of like now.

seosamh77
    Free Member

raybanwomble

Or perhaps the uk need to stop being so london centric and spread the investment around to bring the other areas up to the same level

Could this not be partly helped by allowing the North to up income tax and drop corporation tax, allowing it to invest more and also steal business from London?

There are lots of ways to skin a cat, I really think the UK needs something creative to try and sort the mess we are in. I don’t see what is currently on offer by any party, healing the polarisation.

We all care about our fellow human beings on here, usually when the shit hits the fan for a forum member everyone contributes despite their political affiliations. A lot of us just differ on implementation, we need to find a bipartisan way to make this dingy **** island a better place.

bit of a big ask, london has benefitted from over investment, so to expect other areas of the country to get up to the same level withought similar over investment is unrealistic.

molgrips
    Free Member

The reasons for London’s dominance are historical and ultimately geographical. It’s the same all over Europe. Most of the countries with multiple major cities are the ones that are amalgams of smaller kingdoms/duchies etc.

tjagain

its also political MOlgrips. Look at the investment in public transport – thats a political choice – its cheaper, they get huge amounts spent on London at the expense of the rest of the country. too often London gets the money and sucks money out of the rest of the country and the rest of us pay for it.

scotroutes

Most of the countries with multiple major cities are the ones that are amalgams of smaller kingdoms/duchies etc.

How big is Cardiff compared to London?

molgrips
    Free Member

How big is Cardiff compared to London?

If you know your history, you’ll know Wales was never an autonomous modern state.

Most autonomous regions have one large city, simply because as soon as one place gains primacy in the modern commercial age then it snowballs because the businesses need to be where the other businesses are.

tjagain

France? Been a unitary state for a long time with several large cities.

Dickyboy

Check out how much the council tax is in Westminster – cheapest in the country I believe 🙁

robdixon
    Free Member

Companies have started moving the ownership of assets abroad – as reported in The Times today.

SSE and National Grid are complete (the former to Switzerland and the latter to Hong Kong and Luxembourg) with other energy companies having already set up new holding companies.

Expect to see most large companies (> 250 employees) follow in order to avoid Labour’s 10% company theft plan.

kerley
    Free Member

Labour’s 10% company theft plan.

Theft to some, sharing the companies wealth with those that have helped to create it to others. All depends which side you are on I suppose.

tjagain

actually Rob they are moving because of the tories disastrous hard brexit plan – not because of some made up interpretation of labour policy – and where are they moving to?

rone

Expect to see most large companies (> 250 employees) follow in order to avoid Labour’s 10% company theft plan.

Twaddle. There is always threats of companies moving abroad in such circumstances, very little actually happens.

Why would they start moving abroad now when the polls points to a Tory victory?

Besides there’s no loyalty in business irrespective.

Any decent company would want to make it work for their workers. Shows them for what they are *if true*.

Parasites.

MoreCashThanDash

How can they have already moved to avoid a new Labour policy? Did they know it was being proposed? Are they so sure Labour will win?

tjagain

Its like the idea that every rich person will move abroad if we put a penny on income tax – when actually our tax rates will still be lower than in the rest of the EU so they would be still even after a tax raise under labour be paying more tax wherever they move to.

robdixon
    Free Member

“actually Rob they are moving because of the tories disastrous hard brexit plan“

Yes they are so worried about the impact of not being in the EU that both companies have established new legal entities in non EU countries..

kimbers

Tories & their bonkers brexit behave already scared off 1tn in assets

That’s cost the treasury ~1% of tax take already

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/03/11/new-research-lays-bare-900bn-city-brexodus/quote

Fk business

tjagain

Rob – they have gone to Switzerland that has full trading rights with the EU and Luxemburg that is in the EU. Unlike the UK which is going for hard brexit.

v8ninety

This has got to be the funniest post that I’ve read for ages on this thread.

Yes, the reason that the companies are leaving is a recently announced policy by a party that probably won’t get elected, NOT the clusterfudge of asshattery that has been a Tory led Brexit looming for the last three or four years.

The mental gymnastics performed by Tory voters never ceases to amaze me.

jam-bo

If the tories get the majority the polls are predicting then I may well revisit my emigration plans.

anagallis_arvensis

If the tories get the majority the polls are predicting then I may well revisit my emigration plans.

Shift up Scotroutes, we are on our way!

kelvin

Good news for those of you who keep banging on about Swinson, you were right, and the LibDem support is slipping in all the polls. The bad news is that, just as we warned you, this means Conservative support is rising, and Johnson’s majority is coming. So Labour are now safe as the main party of opposition. Champagne all round.

[ I’m not cut and pasting poll results here, but they all say much the same thing, the Tories are doing “well”. ]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oops

At least it’s only a meagre amount like £58bn, eh?

dazh

At least it’s only a meagre amount like £58bn, eh?

So you think it’s ok to rob thousands off women approaching retirement with almost no warning who had paid in to the system all their lives? How would you feel if your pension provider told you they were arbitrarily extending the date you could claim your pension and there was nothing you could do about it?

iffoverload
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart

Oops

So Labour are going to fix yet another Tory managed cockup?

shame on them!

tjagain

58 billion over how long? How much per year? Who did the costing anyway? How much savings in benefits to offset this?

boomerlives
    Free Member

How would you feel if your pension provider …blah blah blah… nothing you could do about it?

The same as what I’d do when Labour put my tax bill up to pay for all Jezza’s nonsense. I’d lump it and pay it.

This wanton act of equality only puts women on the same footing as men anywho.

A lot of the pension uncertainty is the result of a Labour wheeze anyway. One of the first acts of the last Labour Govt was to plunder all pension funds; an act that made most of them unsustainable and pretty much killed the DB pension for most normal peeps.

Once the private DB pension was not sustainable, it opened the door for Public sector pensions to be deemed ‘unsustainable’ and wasn’t there a lot of fuss when their contributions were increased, and the benefits reduced?

Pensions are only forecasts, until you actually receive them.

kerley
    Free Member

How would you feel if your pension provider told you they were arbitrarily extending the date you could claim your pension and there was nothing you could do about it?

Fairly indifferent. The pension age has increased over my life time so far and wouldn’t be surprised if it was extended again before I reach it. When 65 was the retirement age people typically died by the time they were 68. That age is now 78 so even with a retirement age of 67 that is still 8 years more on average for each retied person.

The age needs to be made the same for male and female and no easy way of doing that without pissing off the people benefitting from the lower age.

kelvin

Yes, Labour should have included this, and the cost of it, in their manifesto. That doesn’t make it (or the people effected) something that they should just brush aside, as the other UK parties seem happy to do.

As others have said, pension age needs to be aligned, and, obviously, parties of all colours are going to be pushing pension age in general up. But people need to be properly forewarned so they can prepare for it.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Not the way they are going, they aren’t

tjagain

Actually it was the tories allowing employers to stop contributing to pension fund that damaged them the most.

But then – when did a right winger ever stop blaming labour ” now look what you made me do”

bruneep

How would you feel if your pension provider told you they were arbitrarily extending the date you could claim your pension and there was nothing you could do about it?

You take them to court and prove they acted illegally and win the case.

https://www.fbu.org.uk/news/2019/06/27/firefighters%E2%80%99-union-wins-landmark-pensions-case

https://www.pensionsage.com/pa/Govt-confirms-landmark-court-ruling-will-apply-to-all-public-sector-schemes.php

Next milestone date 18th Dec

iffoverload
    Free Member

boomerlives

Subscriber

Not the way they are going, they aren’t

ah well…. but still, all journeys start with a step in the right direction 😉

boomerlives
    Free Member

All great balls ups start by falling backwards too.

when did a right winger ever stop blaming labour

I’m not a right winger; I’m firmly centrist. But I am utterly certain I’m to the right of you…

iffoverload
    Free Member

All great balls ups start by falling backwards too.

Like instigating leaving the EU?

Johnson will tell a Tory audience in the West Midlands. “Uncertainty ended, investment unlocked, a nation moving forward once again,”

by which our great leader basicly confirms that:
    Uncertainty has been created, investment has been frozen and a nation is in limbo.

makes sense.

tjagain

Boomerlives well you do state tory myths as if they were facts.

Do you believe in redistribution of wealth Ie tax the rich to help the poor? do you believe in workers having a say in how companies are run? Do you believe in a decent welfare state? Do you support labours moderate and centrist policies? ( note nothing in the labour manifesto would be out of the usual in most of europe) do you understand that the UK is a low tax low wage low worker protection country?

I am a centerist politically. Its just the centre of politics in the UK is far to the right of the real political centre and loads of right wingers onhere think themselves centerist.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Missed my point, a wee bit.

Labour’s great alternative to a bumbling buffoon is Corbyn. Hence BJ is looking a fave to keep the reins.

If they had a reasonable man, with a reasonable plan, they would be in No. 10 already (or woman, obv, but it spoils the soundbite)

Actually it was the tories allowing employers to stop contributing to pension fund that damaged them the most.

A scandalous act; reputed to have cost pensions £18bn

Blair/Brown estimated at costing £100bn.

The Tory’s also contributed to the demise of the DB pension by making further demands on the funds by insisting on a widows pension once the principle pensioner had carked it. The bastards

Inconvenient facts aside, both recent Labour and Tory Govt’s have both done terrible damage to all pensions, but I’ve yet to see a Labour fanboi admit it.

kelvin

“Uncertainty ended, investment unlocked, a nation moving forward once again”

A quick reminder that the “deal” the government has with the EU will last only ELEVEN MONTHS, if Johnson sticks to his word and gives up EU membership in January and refuses to ask for an extension to the transition period. So, uncertainty is not ending when Johnson gets his majority, it is increasing. Keeping EU membership will be crossed off as a possible future, but that does not give any company, or individual, any certainty about what the hell happens when 2020 comes to an end.

boomerlives
    Free Member

any certainty

Neither does labour’s plan, to be fair.

I am a centerist politically.

It’s nice you think that.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,161 through 3,200 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.