• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • olddog

Rayban if you devolve tax policy then you have to have regional Govt as per Scotland and you also have devolve control over expenditure – health, education social care, etc – same as Scotland

Sounds like a lot of referendums, regional MPs, regional bureaucracy…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Rayban if you devolve tax policy then you have to have regional Govt as per Scotland and you also have devolve control over expenditure – health, education social care, etc – same as Scotland

But that is what is missing in this country, peoples connection to politics and sense of agency. The yanks have a population of 300+ million and have 50 states – each with strong local powers and yet we cannot have stronger regional powers?

The current system has everyone arguing with each other due to their own local concerns, it’s paralyzing the country and causing it to be an inward looking, navel gazing, arse sniffing, hateful and angry backwater.

benv
    Free Member

Only if you devolve it on a regional basis. Local authorities could be used in a much more meaningful way with the creation of local income taxes for example.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The yanks have a population of 300+ million and have 50 states – each with strong local powers and yet we cannot have stronger regional powers?

Brexit was pointless enough.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

And yet if people had felt more connected to politics, Brexit might never have happened 5thElefant!

DazH, where are you on this? I want to hear from you, your opinions on the way we are divided have influenced me here!

seosamh77
    Free Member

So Boris and Swinson took a pounding there eh? 😆

If the polls don’t start to shift after that, England is lost, forever! 😆

cromolyolly
    Free Member

80k/yr is 2.85 times the average in Bolton and 2.05 times London. So, yes, 80k is way up there in both places. How expensive a place is to live doesn’t necessarily affect the salaries of the people who live there.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

If the polls don’t start to shift after that, England is lost, forever

The only thing Boris has to do to win is not screw up massively. Anyone else and you’d think it was a dead cert. but there is an outside chance. There was nothing I that performance that’s going to move the polls much. He took some hits but nothing major.

I don’t understand why everyone is so obsessed with Corbyn picking a side/campaigning for one side in his proposed solution. His addresses the problem in the original referendum. Show people the deal, and ask them if they want to leave on those terms or stay. Why do you give a crap which way he wants it to go as long as he does what you tell him?

doomanic

Anyone who doesn’t think £80K a year is a lot of money is **** insane. Imagine life on the national average and then think about that £80K again. And then think about life on National Minimum Wage. Still think you’re hard done by?

If you’re (generic, not specific) finding it hard to make ends meet on that sort of money you’re an idiot and should learn to live within your means.

MrSparkle

Mr 80k turns out to be from Bury. Not many 80k earners up here, the self entitled prick. I work in Bolton and I’m seeing homeless every day.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

80k/yr is 2.85 times the average in Bolton and 2.05 times London. So, yes, 80k is way up there in both places. How expensive a place is to live doesn’t necessarily affect the salaries of the people who live there.

But it does affect their ability to absorb tax increases doesn’t it, including those on the median income in London.

Someone on 28k a year in Bolton or £1881 PCM after tax, would need to earn £3,231 after tax to have the same standard of living in London – around 60k.

Disparities like that need to be factored into decisions on taxation, otherwise you will just further fuel the divide between London and the North.

mattyfez

80k in London is not rich.

Try telling that to to poor bastards that that deliver your food or serve you a sammich in pret. Where do you think they live? Do they commute in just to work in fast food?

kelvin

Anyone who doesn’t think £80K a year is a lot of money is **** insane.

Agreed. And people reminding us that you need to be rich to really live the good life in London doesn’t change that. Yes, there are better places to live than London if you’re not rich, we get that.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m pleased to see that forum posters from both sides of the Brexit debate and apparently of strongly opposing party political allegiances seem to be in broad agreement in this thread.

A growing disparity of wealth is something we all find very offensive, we just differ in our view of who is responsible for it and how we should address it.

It’s a start, I suppose.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Tories have played a blinder by refusing to send anyone to newsnight for past two nights, not even cleverly. They must be pissin themselves watching the new bbc attack dog du jour Emma Barnett going at the labour guy. But seriously why bother ? Why even publish a manifesto. Just do the bare minimum and watch the votes roll in from the binheads.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Try telling that to to poor bastards that that deliver your food or serve you a sammich in pret. Where do you think they live? Do they commute in just to work in fast food?

Of course – but they’re lives are even less affordable than they are in the North.

Different countries have different tax regimes to suit their own local conditions, the difference between London and the North is now just as great as the difference found between many countries. It’s holding both areas of the country back by having them on the same tax regime, the North needs to tax certain pay brackets more and perhaps even try to get industry in by cutting corporation tax, London perhaps less so (right now) with its current affordability crisis.

seosamh77
    Free Member

raybanwomble

Of course – but they’re lives are even less affordable than they are in the North.

Different countries have different tax regimes to suit their own local conditions, the difference between London and the North is now just as great as the difference found between many countries. It’s holding both areas of the country back by having them on the same tax regime, the North needs to tax certain pay brackets more and perhaps even try to get industry in by cutting corporation tax, London perhaps less so (right now) with its current affordability crisis.

Or perhaps the uk need to stop being so london centric and spread the investment around to bring the other areas up to the same level.

mattyfez

Tell them to get off thier arses and move to Sunderland then?
    They can then earn an honest wage without fear of becoming redundant .. Oh wait..

ROFL

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Someone on 28k a year in Bolton or £1881 PCM after tax, would need to earn £3,231 after tax to have the same standard of living in London – around 60k.

Well I’m a bit dubious of your numbers but generally I agree. The higher the basic costs of living, the less discretionary spending power they’ve got. So taxes would cut into that more.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Or perhaps the uk need to stop being so london centric and spread the investment around to bring the other areas up to the same level

Could this not be partly helped by allowing the North to up income tax and drop corporation tax, allowing it to invest more and also steal business from London?

There are lots of ways to skin a cat, I really think the UK needs something creative to try and sort the mess we are in. I don’t see what is currently on offer by any party, healing the polarisation.

We all care about our fellow human beings on here, usually when the shit hits the fan for a forum member everyone contributes despite their political affiliations. A lot of us just differ on implementation, we need to find a bipartisan way to make this dingy **** island a better place.

kerley
    Free Member

Anyone who doesn’t think £80K a year is a lot of money is **** insane. Imagine life on the national average and then think about that £80K again. And then think about life on National Minimum Wage. Still think you’re hard done by?

I am in that bracket and my money is pretty much gone by the time pay day comes. That doesn’t mean I am not rich, it just means I have found things to spend/waste my money on (big mortgage, new car, nice food, lots of animals) Minimum wage wouldn’t even cover my mortgage payments.
    And because I am in that bracket it allowed me to buy a relatively expensive house which now has a lot of equity in it so worst case I could sell up and live in a flat and live on minimum wage.
    Not a choice for anyone that is not rich.

anagallis_arvensis

But it does affect their ability to absorb tax increases doesn’t it, including those on the median income in London.

Disparities like that need to be factored into decisions on taxation, otherwise you will just further fuel the divide between London and the North.

Can you run through this with me slowly, because you seem to be suggesting that the North is favoured in the North South divide? I mean I’ll admit I was a bit lost when you started ranting on about 80k not being much, but this post is downright befuddling are you suggesting tax increases for the north to help the struggling south?

doomanic

Rayban, the North, in general, already hates London and all it stands for and you think increasing individual taxation there will fix that??? Great plan. [/sarcasm]

There needs to be massive investment in pretty much everywhere except London and I doubt that even that would be enough to fix the north-south divide.

MoreCashThanDash

Heard a guy on the radio yesterday moaning that his £100k salary made it hard to get by as his wife didn’t work in order to look after their 4 kids, so what with mortgage, two cars etc, he only had £800 a month left for saving and discretionary spending.

Apparently that wasn’t what he went to university and worked 60 hours a week for, just to pay more tax to support the feckless workshy.

I wasn’t moved to sympathy by his plight.

kelvin

the North, in general, already hates London

I love London. Could never afford to live there. I’m not sure taxing people more simply because they’ve came to the same conclusion makes much sense. A local income tax, or a wealth tax that’s a bit less of a guess than council tax, has merits though.

rone

My favourite campaign film yet.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I absolutely love that.

binners

Just to quantify:

We don’t hate London at all.

We hate a London-centric government that doesn’t even bother to pretend it gives a shit about us.

The investment in transport infrastructure sums it up. We watch the billions poured into Crossrail as we sit in converted buses from the 1980’s trundling down Victorian train lines. When they actually turn up.

Another reason to vote Labour. We might actually see some desperately needed infrastructure investment.

We were promised it by George Osborne with all his Northern Powerhouse bullshit. None of it ever materialised.

We need proper devolved power to the regions in this country. We’re the most centralised economy in the developed world, and that isn’t working for anyone outside the south east

molgrips
    Free Member

Binners, didn’t ‘the North’ get all those lovely new trams a while back? Not Victorian ex busses?

nickc

Molly, binners is referring to the fact that Northern uses Pacer railway carriages, they’re based on converted coaches, they were a “stop-gap” introduced in the ’80s and we were promised that they’d be phased out this year, but that’s slipped a couple of years. Northern Rail still hasn’t managed to agree terms with it’s drivers and conductors, so our weekend trains are based on whether enough drivers can be arsed to turn up for some overtime.

When a Tory minister says that perhaps Northern is so rubbish that it may have to return to public ownership, you know they are properly shit

tjagain

Interesting if not very deep analysis of UK taxation. Remember in most of europe you pay healthcare on top of taxation ( albeit not to US levels)

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/nov/23/are-britains-high-earners-taxed-too-much-or-too-little

NOw this shows the nonsense spouted on here that if we raise taxes a tiny bit all high earners will flee to mainland europe – they won’t because even after Corbyns tax rises we still will be taxing less than most.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

HS2 was started at the wrong end to begin with.

The money for LHR’s 3rd runway would be better off spent at either Manchester, Brum or LGW – there’d probably be loose change for a few hospitals after too!

We’ve a history of doing shite civil engineering in this country & precious few passable ones.

I’m F’d if I know why we find it so hard!

kelvin

Is “the money for LHR’s 3rd runway” coming from the state?

And HS2 is all about increasing north-south capacity… just get it build. It “starting in the North” is a red herring. Just GET IT DONE. North connected to South, not a chunk of it.

Anyway… distractions… I came here to start pushing this, hard…

http://www.bestforbritain.org/getvoting

tjagain

Kelvin – starting from the north means it cannot end up as a Birmingham / london commuter line which is what is now going to happen and a northern cities to Birmingham HS line would have more benefits than a London / Birmingham one as well as being cheaper

scotroutes

Warning: mild language

dazh

DazH, where are you on this? I want to hear from you, your opinions on the way we are divided have influenced me here!

Catching up now my hangover is receding… 🙂

I think I’ve talked about this before, but to rehash it (hopefully consistently), I’ve always been of the opinion that less hierarchy, more democracy and more agency for the people are good things. This applies to everything, including taxation and what it is spent on. Obviously things like brexit don’t appear to support giving people more power, but I’d say the exact opposite is true.

Whichever side you’re on, brexit (and the scottish referendum before it) has clearly demonstrated that the people want to be more involved in decision making, and also the desperate need to ensure those decisions are based on informed opinions. That will only happen if we put trust in the people, and carry out their wishes even if they appear to do something as stupid as brexit.

I think it’s self evident that the more agency and power people have, the more involved they will be. Over time they will become more informed, and I think more collaborative. Even when they disagree, they will learn to do so in a respectful way and hopefully the divisions we see today would begin to dissipate.

In short, yes we should devolve everything, including taxation and spending decisions as much as possible and put those decisions in the hands of normal people.

kelvin

Tj … you need to compare congestion and under supply in and out of Brum. It makes no sense to increase capacity to the North and not the South. We need both. Linking just to the North increases bottleneck problems.

tjagain

Apart from train journeys around the north! Thats my point

dazh

A local income tax, or a wealth tax that’s a bit less of a guess than council tax, has merits though.

Wealth taxes are the way forward. Why do we tax income and not wealth? Taxing income penalises hard work and not taxing wealth promotes rent-seeking, as proved by the ridiculous situation where we’ve turned the national housing stock into a pension fund.

Another reason to vote Labour. We might actually see some desperately needed infrastructure investment.

This election campaign is having some very odd effects. I’m agreeing with Rayban and Binners is a labour supporter again. Strange times. 🙂

dazh

There’s a way to fix that. If you were going to move towards much more devolved local government where people have more of a say in decision making then you’d need to completely rethink the idea of representative democracy, or even better get rid of it. I’ve posted this before on other threads but it’s a fairly accessible discussion about how direct democracy could work. (try to see past the anarchist stuff BTW, it’s only a daft label)

https://libcom.org/library/direct-democracy-anarchist-alternative-voting

Viewing 40 posts - 3,121 through 3,160 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.