• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • boomerlives
    Free Member

Iraq and libya where stable and wealthy countries pre 1990.

They were also dictatorships with dubious human rights records, but that doesn’t play into your narrative. It’s no wonder you cherry picked the defining characteristics.

sobriety
    Free Member

But sometimes leaving a dictator with a terrible record on human rights in charge is the least worst option. Saudi Arabia being a prime example of this.

Anyhoo, back on topic, who in the hell do I vote for? It’s between labour and ex-labour (now tigfc) in my ward, and their pamphlets are more or less identical.

It’s got split vote letting the Tories in written all over it:-/

kerley
    Free Member

They were also dictatorships with dubious human rights records

They certainly were. The question is did the interventions make it any better and have they ever made it any better. A dictatorship may not sound great but sometimes things are better left alone rather than killing a whole load of people and ending up with something no better.
    Still, may have got some oil out of it and upped the sales of weapons…

boomerlives
    Free Member

A dictatorship may not sound great but sometimes things are better left alone

Agreed.

But making it sound like a dusty paradise before there were boots on the ground is a little lopsided.

Still, Boris drunk? George Michael will be gay next.

juanking

If anyone wants to understand the history of our relationship with the middle east specifically Saudi, Iraq and Libya then watch Bitter Lake by Adam Curtis: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02gyz6b/adam-curtis-bitter-lake

kimbers

Agreed, brilliant documentary

Adam Curtis been quiet for a while

I do wonder if he’s making a new doc about Brexit/Russia/Trump

Only a week and a half to go

Locally labour activists everywhere door knocking, handing out flyers

Tory MP has pulled exact same vanishing act he did last time round, no hustings, no real campiging, that saw his majority fall from 10,000 to 1800
    I think this time he’s safe, there’s no longer a bxp/ukip candidate and we have an ageing population , he did get busted posting a staged litter picking pic tho

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/politics/was-milton-keynes-conservative-s-litter-picking-twitter-picture-a-bit-of-a-con-1-9155395/

binners

Interesting to see that Dominic Raab could be providing this elections ‘Portillo Moment’ despite presently havig a 23,000 majority. Couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke

Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, is in danger of providing this election’s “Portillo moment”, after a poll in his constituency suggested that he was at risk of losing his seat.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

A dictatorship may not sound great but sometimes things are better left alone rather than killing a whole load of people and ending up with something no better.

Hindsight is often 20/20…….

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke

Fingers crossed – despicable fkr!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Bloke on twitter from Chingford this morning with pictures of Iain Duncan Smith at his door. Apparently if Labour win then “they will take your house away”.

IDS has to lose his seat for his constant, incessant lying and his ghoulish tendencies towards making poor people even poorer.

ctk
    Free Member

Hindsight lol! Are you serious?

So we know better after Libya right? If only there had been some examples of rgime change going wrong in recent history then maybe we would have known not to go into Libya. Ffs

Klunk
    Free Member

Hindsight is often 20/20…….

yeah cos no one said invading iraqi without a “what happens next plan” was a bad idea at the time.

binners

Gammons be gammoning…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

As usual the point is missed….

The point is did anyone know it was going to end so badly?

Did you know beforehand there wasn’t a plan?

Were you present at the strategic planning meetings prior to any of those events?

No.

I certainly didn’t know the planners didn’t have a scoobies. Mind you after a decade in the Army there’s an argument I should have! 🤣

I agree, in hindsight, these operations have proved to be clusterFs….& we should certainly reconsider how we intervene in the future.

So, yeah….hindsight.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Tory party really are doing trump type campaigning. Getting pulled up for dodgy editing of BBC broadcasts now. But apparently according to their campaign staff it’s ok as people can see from themselves that it’s ok, of course true as long as you have the time and skills to find what program all of the clips are from and watch each one to find the context of the comment. Shameful gutter campaigning.

v8ninety

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/15_February_2003_anti-war_protests

YES! It was obvious!

certainly didn’t know the planners didn’t have a scoobies. Mind you after a decade in the Army there’s an argument I should have!

You should have, because it was effing obvious to millions of us.

Protests in 600 cities globally ‘should’ have given pause for thought. MILLIONS of people worldwide who were horrified at enough at direction that events were taking that they joined some of the biggest mass protests the world had seen. But no, no one had any idea.

Klunk
    Free Member

a short snippet from John Brady Kiesling resignation letter dated march 4th which was printed in the New York Times

Have we indeed become blind, as Russia
    is blind in Chechnya, as Israel is blind in the Occupied
    Territories, to our own advice, that overwhelming military
    power is not the answer to terrorism? After the shambles of
    post-war Iraq joins the shambles in Grozny and Ramallah, it
    will be a brave foreigner who forms ranks with Micronesia to
    follow where we lead.

binners

Tory party really are doing trump type campaigning.

Everyone should have known exactly what to expect as soon as Johnson got Cummings on board. He’s employing all the same dodgy tactics he did with the leave campaign and then some. And all those tactics were brought to them by Steve Bannon fresh from getting Trump elected. Pushing the boundaries of legality to the very limit, then pushing a little bit more

kerley
    Free Member

I take it you don’t believe Cummings resigned 3 weeks ago then.

hels
    Free Member

Really ? I thought the Brexit vote happened before Trump got elected ?

I know Cummings is good at his evil work, but has he really managed time travel ?

(makes you think doesn’t it, etc etc)

molgrips
    Free Member

Did you know beforehand there wasn’t a plan?

It was widely discussed at the time, a lot of knowledgeable people voiced their concerns about the lack of planning, they were on telly and everything.

frankconway

Kerley – he didn’t; go back through the thread to see why.
    In summary, all SPADs are required to stand down in GE run-up so he did; his role & responsibilities are unchanged – as per cabinet office.

binners

Hels

Bannon has been doing the rounds in Europe for a while now. Connecting with like-minded people like Cummings and the far right networks across the EU. A lot of the tactics of misinformation and the abuse of data that the trump campaign an the leave campaign used are those pioneered by Putin

All the dodgy shenanigans going on at the moment have his grubby fingerprints all over them

kimbers

@hels he ran Breitbart which supported both campaigns

He is also on the board of Cambridge Analytics that also supported both campaigns

rone

Poll tracker: changes last Monday.

kimbers

Labour were 7pts away from Tories at this point in 2017

rone

Labour were 7pts away from Tories at this point in 2017

In the aggregate poll?

binners

Present bookies odds:

Tory Majority 1.5/1
    No overall majority 2.75/1
    Labour Majority 21/1

kelvin

So both party leaders already attempting to oversimplify and blame Friday’s killings on the actions of the last Labour government. Not good enough from either of them. They might both be making valid points… but the timing stinks. Our politics stinks.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The coalescing around the two main parties just shows how broken our system is. People are not voting for representation but against other parties.

kelvin

People are not voting for representation but against other parties.

We have to.

Depressing but true. Especially depressing if you watched the C4 climate debate.

frankconway

Kelvin, I agree – unacceptable from both Johnson & Corbyn.
    The fact that the father of one of the murdered makes a public request that this not be politicised should not have been necessary but, regrettably, he was right.
    Johnson’s interview with Marr, when discussing this, has been described by Norman Smith of BBC as ‘abrasive’.
    If Corbyn had said nothing for a few days, certainly until after today’s memorial service, he would done himself a favour.
    As it is, neither have shown much compassion or common decency; not a good look.

outofbreath
    Free Member

The coalescing around the two main parties just shows how broken our system is. People are not voting for representation but against other parties.

I take your point, but I’m not. I’m voting Libdem this time and not to stop another party:

1p on tax.
    Revoke.
    A sane(ish) policy on Zero hour contracts.
    (Comparitive) Fiscal Rectitude.

slowoldman

Only as a Special Advisor. Which I understand he had to do under purdah rules.

binners

The coalescing around the two main parties just shows how broken our system is

And the option is?

Its looking increasingly like the last election in people returning to the two main parties not for any particular confidence in them or desire to vote for them but from fear and distrust of the other lot. Of course, both Labour and the Tory’s will then take this as a vote of confidence and a positive endorsement of their policies. Same as they did last time.

Our entire political system is ****ed!

I’m getting my head around the appalling choices on offer by just thinking on a local level towards my rather good (non-Corbynite) labour MP who thoroughly deserves to continue in the job for what he does for the constituency. I’m just trying to ignore the absolute horror show at the top of both parties

involver
    Free Member

rsl1
    Free Member

Mostly “P” members posting on this page so may not have noticed, but today every single advert for me on this thread is a Tory sponsored “cost of Corbyn: £2400 more tax every year” claim and himself looking as comrade as possible.

A quick search confirms that this is bollocks (but also that labour are unlikely to raise enough through the means they claim)

https://fullfact.org/electionlive/2019/nov/25/conservatives-repeat-misleading-labour-cost-figure/

frankconway

Take out a subscription; it won’t stop the bollocks but will be invisible to you.

kiksy
    Free Member

but today every single advert for me on this thread is a Tory sponsored “cost of Corbyn: £2400 more tax every year” claim and himself looking as comrade as possible.

Or click on it, get the details and research into them to make sure they are lies. That way at least it’s costing them as much as possible to spout out the rubbish.

kimbers

Definitely narrowing

But can’t see it being enough because of the ‘red wall’ marginals

Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.