• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,001 through 4,040 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • geomickb
    Free Member

Can someone please explain to me while people are still voting tory?

I don’t see what they offer working class families, surely Labour are offering more?

binners

I’ve never been able to get my head around anyone who’s not in the top 1% of earners voting for the Tories

Working class Tories are a very odd breed indeed

Tenuous
    Free Member

Unfortunately the lies work. Lots of people really, genuinely believe that Corbyn is a communist who is going to take away all their stuff, that the EU is just France and Germany trying to take our money etc etc. So they will vote Tory.

lunge

Working class Tories are a very odd breed indeed

The argument I’ve heard is that they’ve worked hard to get what they have so why should they support a party who will give to others who haven’t worked as hard.

Not saying I agree but it’s an argument.

boomerlives
    Free Member

I’m voting Libdem this time and not to stop another party:

1p on tax.
    Revoke.
    A sane(ish) policy on Zero hour contracts.
    (Comparitive) Fiscal Rectitude.

Prudent. Sensible.

Expect some abuse because voting labour is the only solution on here.

If it is, the problem can’t be solved.

rone

Well I believe we need something way more radical than the above. So 1p income tax will do very little.

First few post echo my constant Tory confusion.

boomerlives
    Free Member

So 1p income tax will do very little.

I know. So how is the free Broadband going to be paid for? And the free prescriptions. And the reduction in rail fares?

Jeremy’s imaginary piggy bank?

rone

I think Labour might just pull this off. I’m starting to think Tory fatigue is kicking in; too much unexpected bad stuff going on. This won’t keep away die hard hammer-heads but there are a lot of people out there yearning for change who might just be tipped towards Labour.

I’m not calling a majority but I reckon they might scrape it one way or another. Revise in one week.

(Un)Happy to be called out on Friday 13th if I’m wrong!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve decided Labour are going to win, you heard it here first.

If I’m wrong it’ll be the first time I’ve got an election or referendum result wrong in the last 6yrs give or take so the weight of history is on my side – if that’s not just a little bit grandiose!

molgrips
    Free Member

Jeremy’s imaginary piggy bank?

There’s a document costing everything, why don’t you give that a read.

mulv1976
    Free Member

The argument I’ve heard is that they’ve worked hard to get what they have so why should they support a party who will give to others who haven’t worked as hard.

I hear this a lot. The trouble with this argument is that people who earn a lot think that they deserve it more than those who earn less but still work their asses off. It’s that peddled falsehood that money equates to success. There’s no acknowledgement that a lot of wealthy people have had the background/luck/connections/opportunities that others less well-off may not have had. I doubt the average entitled high earner who was highly educated and had much better opportunities in life, has ever worked as hard as a single mother who works two jobs just to make ends meet.

Stuart Lee – The Money Is Mine sums it up quite nicely.

I do OK for myself and family for example, and I have worked hard to get where I am, but I fully acknowledge I have been extremely fortunate in my upbringing and background too. I will be voting for a Labour government as I am saddened by the perpetuating greed, corruption, selfishness, division and poverty in this country. I think we need a change, and although I have my doubts about how Corbyn will pay for a lot of his policies, I agree with them in principle and genuinely believe he is a rare politician that actually cares more about people than money. The big problem is our blatantly biased media – say something often enough and people start to believe it!

cromolyolly
    Free Member

The point is did anyone know it was going to end so badly?

pretty much anyone who has read any history, or anyone who has seen “Charlie Wilson’s War”

Nature abhors a vacuum. Interventionist policies always leave a vacuum.

lunge

The trouble with this argument is that people who earn a lot think that they deserve it more than those who earn less but still work their asses off.

It’s those people who don’t earn much but work hard that I refer to as working class Tories.
    There’s a degree of politics of jealousy in that they have worked hard for not much so why should someone else get more?

mulv1976
    Free Member

It’s those people who don’t earn much but work hard that I refer to as working class Tories.
    There’s a degree of politics of jealousy in that they have worked hard for not much so why should someone else get more?

Yes, I think that they have usually been convinced that there are a mass of scroungers out there who have no intention of ever working, and yet are still getting paid loads in benefits. They are also convinced that Labour are going to give them even more, but the reality is somewhat different as afar as I’m aware.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

John Harris in the Guardian and others have been doing a reasonable job of trying to get the bottom of the phenomenon.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/02/labour-red-wall-brexit-progressive-industrial-england

Doesn’t explain it all, like why people most hurt by austerity and London centric governance would want to vote for the party most closely associated with it.

RustySpanner

Because someone’s wife thinks he looks like he’s a homeless commie.

It must be true. A Labour supporter on here has told me so every five minutes for the past 3 years….

binners

Well I’ve just done my democratic duty. Postal vote posted.

The Lib Dem and Green Party candidates both stood down to make it a straight Tory/Labour scrap with the waters muddied with Farage’s rabble in this key marginal seat. But there names were still on the ballot sheet?

Anyway… I’m joining Ivan in making predictions. I shoved a tenner on a hung parliament last time while May was well clear in the polls, at 5/1

The other week I shoved a tenner on a hung parliament with labour the largest party, at 6/1. My reasoning is that I just can’t see Boris and co convincing enough labour voters to commit the mortal sin/class treachery of voting Tory in the ‘labour heartlands’ seats they’re targeting in the north.

They’re absolutely loathed in these places. For a whole world of very valid reasons. People may tell pollsters they’ll do it, but when it actually comes down to putting that cross in the box marked Conservative Party….?

Maybe that’s wishful thinking, but we’ll see

outofbreath
    Free Member

Fantastic, please post a quote from the section of the document that explains the 58bn over 5 years for WASPI women.

(58bn is more than total of Labour’s entire manifesto commitments in the last election which was pretty pork-barrel-y at a bit over 40bn IIRC.)

molgrips
    Free Member

Binners, you’ve never stopped going on about how unelectable Corbyn is, now you put money on him winning. Either your political or gambling insight is rubbish! Remind me not to take racing tips from you 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Fantastic, please post a quote from the section of the document that explains the 58bn over 5 years for WASPI women.

Nope, not my manifesto. I was telling the poster to read the document.

binners

I was right last time Molls. I think Grandad is absolutely hopeless (I may have mentioned it) but I’ve still just voted labour. What else am I going to do?

I reckon that when it comes down to it, a lot of people are going to weigh up what the reality of 5 years of Boris Johnson would actually look like, hold their noses and do the same

outofbreath
    Free Member

So 1p income tax will do very little.

Indeed, so you can see how insane the profligate spending pledges from the other parties are.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Nope

😀

You poor naive child. A politician told you there was a document costing everything and you accepted that without checking for yourself.

Here it is:
    https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Funding-Real-Change.pdf

No mention of the 58bn.

rone

Interesting little tidbit.

rone

I was right last time Molls. I think Grandad is absolutely hopeless (I may have mentioned it) but I’ve still just voted labour. What else am I going to do?

You did the right thing Dusty.

molgrips
    Free Member

You poor naive child. A politician told you there was a document costing everything and you accepted that without checking for yourself.

I knew it wasn’t in the document because I saw Andrew Neil take Corbyn apart over it. Corbyn admitted that it might need to be borrowed. Whoever it was that posted was asking about much more than that, which is why I directed him at the costing document.

I’m a realist about the contents of manifestos and how they are costed. Neither party will do everything in their manifesto and neither will balance the books particularly well. But despite that, I still trust Corbyn to do what I think is right far more than I do Johnson. In fact, I trust Johnson to do nothing but lie through his teeth, tell people what they want to hear and then not bother to do anything. Because all he wants to do is make money and be important. He does not give a shit about the poor, or you, or me. Corbyn on the other hand does care. That’s the bottom line. Corbyn will try to fix things.

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting little tidbit.

It is. Basically anything could happen.

rone

I know. So how is the free Broadband going to be paid for? And the free prescriptions. And the reduction in rail fares?

Tax doesn’t pay for things. It controls inflation.

Secret: a sovereign country like ours that is the single issuer of its own currency can’t run out of money

Just like q/e the government can issue funds – as long as there are the resources to match the spending. Governments don’t campaign on this as it’s still considered controversial.

Short answer.

Long answer read Stephanie Kelton – Bernie Sanders’ senior economic advisor.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-economist-who-believes-the-government-should-just-print-more-money

It’s apolitical so don’t start thinking it’s a leftist thing, and is effectively just a description of how the money supply works.

Now some know the value of this but they’re hardly going to sell it to the electorate as idiots go on about Zimbabwe (broken economies.) hyperinflation etc.

So yeah, keep it in the back of your mind. (The Republicans know the value of this and did it for the military.)

alanl
    Free Member

I’m working class and will be voting Tory.
    Not that my vote will change anything, as the tories win by 15000 each time here.

Why?
    Tony Blair, Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbot.
    I voted Labour once before, thinking it was going to be a real change. Then Blair gave in to Ecclestone, and cancelled his plan to ban cigarette advertising. Then it came to light that Ecclestone had given money to the Labour party. Yes, what a coincidence.
    Jeremy Corbyn – there is no way I could vote for a party with him as Leader. I’ve said it numerous times, if Labour had a good leader, they’d be 20 points ahead in the polls. He is incompetent, and keeps showing it in interviews of the last few weeks. Only today another announcement about reducing rail fares by 75%, with that being funded by Road Fund Licence. Yes, thats really going to work. Great for workers who have a rail station close to them, useless for 75%+ of the population who have little choice but to use a car/powered vehicle.
    It all doesnt add up. Only extra taxing those who earn £80k+. Thats such a small proportion of taxpayers that it just couldnt happen, firstly as there would be found a way to limit their earnings by off-shoring etc, and then the amount to be taken wouldnt even cover the extra spending they have promised. I could go on, but Labour have no credence whn they talk monetary matters now.
    Diane Abbott – totally incomptetent. Labour have done a great job in keeping her away from interviews.When she does do one, she hasnt got a clue. i could never vote for a party that is likely to have her in the cabinet.

Tories. Financial credence. I know the Country is in the shite with debts. But they have been reducing the deficit. And I think will continue to do so.
    BoJo. Another total idiot, but, the main point, he is better than Corbyn.
    We’ve not got any decent Leaders now.
    People complain about cuts to everything, FFS, the country was nearly bankrupt, what else could they do?
    A bad choice between 2 awful parties, but the Tories are slightly better than the truly awful Labour.

rone

I see a manifesto as a direction rather than an absolute.

kelvin

Maybe that’s wishful thinking

I hope everyone else avoided C4 news this evening … utterly depressing … group of previously Labour voters embracing the ‘cuddly rogue’ Johnson… they just don’t like or trust the people now running Labour. But then, who does? That they’ll vote for Johnson, despite not trusting him either, is maddening.

Vote Labour please people.

frankconway

Interesting that there’s been little focus on how Labour’s WASPI promise may influence voting intentions of women affected.
    There are about 4 million; surely they’re not all existing labour voters?

binners

At the end of the day Rone…

squadra
    Free Member

@ Kelvin-Unfortunately I saw it- the group comprised only those who said that they had voted for Brexit and previously voted Labour- so not any sort of random sample.

rone

Anybody know what hell is going off here?

So many levels of weirdness…

kelvin

Interesting that there’s been little focus on how Labour’s WASPI promise may influence voting intentions of women affected.
    There are about 4 million; surely they’re not all existing labour voters?

Just about everyone benefits from Labour’s proposals (and the LibDem ones as well as it happens), plenty of analysis shows that. But people are still voting for Johnson’s team in their millions (not really Conservatives now, are they).

binners

That channel 4 news piece did make for utterly depressing viewing

How people haven’t seen through Johnson’s ‘loveable rogue’ shtick years ago is utterly beyond me.

He’s a sociopath would casually walk past you and leave you dying in a gutter, without a second thought

rone

How people haven’t seen through Johnson’s ‘loveable rogue’ shtick years ago is utterly beyond me

Well I think it’s tiring people to be honest. Just a strong sense of his act dwindling with nothing to back it up.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Tories. Financial credence. I know the Country is in the shite with debts. But they have been reducing the deficit. And I think will continue to do so.

Despite the fact that they propose to spend and cut taxes and take us out of the EU, which will cost everyone up to 2k and will cause a drag on the economy. Fixed by the free trade deal with the US, which might take 10 years.

People complain about cuts to everything, FFS, the country was nearly bankrupt, what else could they do?

It wasn’t.
    Not pursue a deliberate policy of austerity, which has prolonged the pain and delayed the economic recover, as they were told by just about everyone who actually knew anything about it.

Vote how you want but don’t buy the lies.

molgrips
    Free Member

He is incompetent

You honestly think Johnson is any better? On what basis? He’s shown no aptitude whatsoever, and he lies constantly.

Only extra taxing those who earn £80k+. Thats such a small proportion of taxpayers that it just couldnt happen, firstly as there would be found a way to limit their earnings by off-shoring etc

You’re ignoring the other plans to raise money e.g. tech tax and so on.

They cut essential services and benefits to those who need them. They kept taxes low when they could have raised them, and cut money from where it was badly needed. Which also stifled the economy. It’s been discussed widely. The poorer end of society is struggling like hell because of the cuts, and you think this is a good thing?

There are two ways to reduce deficits – borrow and spend to invest, or cut everything to the bone. The former works possibly better, but the Tories chose the latter. Why? Cos they want a small government, because they don’t want to have to give a shit about helping out poor people. That’s the bottom line. They want to shrug their shoulders and say ‘tough titty’ because that is the whole concept of Conservatism. Small government – let people sort it out amongst themselves. Which sounds great until the rich and powerful squeeze everyone else until they become poor and vulnerable and hey, no-one has to give a shit.

Don’t be a part of it.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,001 through 4,040 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.