Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 318 total)
  • 2018 WC DH
  • davy-g
    Free Member

the first leg of the UCI DH WC will be on on Red Bull TV Sat/Sun 21st-22nd April….new course in Croatia

https://www.redbull.tv/live/AP-1V94M7NG91W11/mercedes-benz-uci-mountain-bike-world-cup

matt_outandabout

*pulls up a chair*

*Gets out cowbell and vuvuzela*

Trimix
    Free Member

Looking at the preview videos of that course its seems really different to the normal DH WC courses.  Its the first and only course I’ve seen where I thought I could actually ride down that.  All the others look like they will kill me and my bike.  But this one almost seems like an Enduro stage.

Its nice and natural, but I’m not so sure about the section in the town.

We will see when Red Bull show it and what the riders think.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Can’t wait! Course looks good, half normal, half urban.

mikey74
    Free Member

The urban bit is a waste of time. The rest is OK, but too short. I’m looking forward to the season but I hope they don’t use this track again.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Saw the Sam pilgrim video a few weeks ago and thought it looked like a poor track. Looks better on this preview though

cookeaa

The urban bit is a waste of time.

I have to admit I sort of think the same, “urban DH” races are fine as redbull sponsored novelty events but a World Cup should really be on trails down the side of a mountain IMO…

I’m sure I’m being a bit of an old duffer but that’s just what I think about it…

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m all for urban DH but the section here adds nothing: it’s neither steep nor technical. Its just tacked on to make the track longer and result in a picturesque finish. Its BS.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the urban bit is fine with me, as no one will make/lose any time so it’s just a tag on for the cameras.

I expect the times will be close though – hard to see where someone will make a lot of time up.

Northwind

I’m reserving judgement til the race- see how it’s taped and how it actually races, and especially on the urban bit.Also, I’ve not seen anything saying if that’s exactly how the urban section will be set out,or if they’ll be adding features before the race

I really want to ride the top rocky section though, it looks amazing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The tale of the tape will be what the riders use – if they’re retro fitting droppers to their DH bikes or breaking out the Enduro bikes. But I’ve got faith, the Sam Pilgrim vid was just an add for EBike then course was far from finished and with the greatest respect to Sam, he’s a brilliant rider, but he’s not WC DH fast.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m reserving judgement til the race- see how it’s taped and how it actually races, and especially on the urban <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>bit.Also</span>, I’ve not seen anything saying if that’s exactly how the urban section will be set out,or if they’ll be adding features before the race

+1

if they’re retro fitting droppers to their DH bikes or breaking out the Enduro bikes.

I thinl droppers were becoming a thing at Ft William at one point 😉

Fast short tracks make for tighter racing in the end normally so I’ll sit back and enjoy it

scruff
    Free Member

Troy Brosnan ftw at the new place.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

From the couple of other videos I’ve seen, I think punctures could decide this race.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.facebook.com/losinjworldcup/videos/435786806840561/

Lets see if that vid works, or basically some people who had seen some go pro’s and decided what the track was like before turning up 😉 When the current World Champions tell you it’s technical maybe they are worth listening to 🙂

wallop

Looking forward to seeing how Richie Rude gets on.

mikey74
    Free Member

or basically some people who had seen some go pro’s and decided what the track was like before turning up

No one in their right mind would watch any of the footage that has been about and say the track is “smooth”. It’s also pretty obvious the track is fairly technical, up to the point where they hit the town; at which point, it just becomes a borefest. I’m sure there will be some exciting racing, though, so I’m looking forward to the new series getting under way.

dannyh
    Free Member

Let’s hope the token urban section at the bottom of Losinj doesn’t decide the race, it shouldn’t with any luck.

I’d like to see Jack Moir do well this season – seems a really down to earth fella, outrageously talented, and has a bit of a novel take on line choice sometimes.

nickc

Did Fin say 2 minutes?!?

chakaping
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with a shorter track, hopefully some nice tight racing with consistent weather conditions.

The concrete sprint could well have an effect on the results though. Reserving judgement here.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Seems Claudio’s managed to hospitalise himself on the course preview… so perhaps not as weak as it seems.

sharkattack

I love when people try to predict the winner.

Have you ever watched Downhill before?

daviek

I was just thinking that I was looking forward to Claudio’s track review, Hope hes OK.

P-Jay
    Free Member

He seems chipper enough on Insta, 24 hours for observation so I guess he knocked himself for a bit.

I how he’s okay too, selfishly Claudio’s track run really gets me ready for a WC and the first one of the summer is a bit special to me.

matt_outandabout

A colleagues son takes part in his first WC – look out for Jamie Edmondson….he’s fast…

daviek

Ben Cathro has a video with a wee clip of Claudio on it.

Good to see that Red Bull are letting him make videos at the world cups after almost stopping him.

km79
    Free Member

Ben Cathro is doing his #CathroVision stuff on youtube this race weekend (and hopefully all the others). Usually the best coverage around.

Gachet
    Free Member

pictonroad

looks FUN! Interesting to see if Gwin can stay puncture free, who can get near him on a punchy 3 minute rock fest otherwise?

matt_outandabout

Cathrovision is great – I am looking forward to him doing more. Nice insider and personal view, not polished thrash metal and panning HD shots of slow motion suspension action everywhere.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Who can get near Gwinn?

Greg, Loic, Lois, Sik Mik, Laurie to name a few 😉 3 mins mean one mistake and your out or least mistakes wins, going to be an interesting opening round too

daviek

WynTV is up on pink bike and looks like he has also had a wee run in with Red Bull.

dirkpitt74

Hoping that it doesn’t come down to the sprint through the streets for the podium.

Top section looks great though.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 on Cathrovision. I hope he develops the analysis part, as that is pretty weak in most DH coverage.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Claudio is my receding hairline haircut / style idol.

padkinson
    Free Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhyQGfrl5mk/?hl=en

Bet there will still be people on pinkbike complaining about it not being technical.

AlexSimon

WynTV is up on pink bike and looks like he has also had a wee run in with Red Bull.

They really didn’t like him broadcasting live. I guess he’s sorted now though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They really didn’t like him broadcasting live. I guess he’s sorted now though.

I think from what I heard he does himself no favours…

bigjim

Looks like Claudio needs some pointers from the stw riding gods if it’s such an easy track ! Not the same without his preview to whet the appetite 🙁

tomparkin

I’m really glad Ben Cathro managed to sort things out with RB.  His coverage of last year’s WC was fantastic.

As a novice bimblecore merchant I love watching the WC DH races, but it’s a bit like watching an accomplished magician: you enjoy the show, but you have no idea how they did it.  Cathro’s coverage of practice days and discussion of various line choices was a real eye opener.  I’m looking forward to more of the same this year!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 318 total)

The topic ‘2018 WC DH’ is closed to new replies.