Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 318 total)
  • 2018 WC DH
  • rmacattack
    Free Member

the gwizard back to gwinning

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh sorry there!! Just if you only just tuned in you missed some awesome racing throughout, worth watching it back.

It’s a hell of a track and proved a worthy inclusion in the circuit

BoardinBob

Ooh, what was Claudio’s comment all about when Warner asked him why Gwin keeps on winning. Claudio said something to the tune of “I can’t answer that because I’ll get in trouble”

Taint of PEDs around Gwin???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

His comments about Rachel Atherton training with her Brothers got him in loads of bother so I think just a reference back to that really

rmacattack
    Free Member

Maybe more to do with setup and stuff. Gwin doesn’t even drink.

only for gwin the dh fantasy league would be bleek. had tracey hannah on the womens.

vinnyeh

I assumed it was going to be a religious reference.

daviek

Yeh Bob I thought that was an odd thing for him to say

bedmaker

I assumed it was about having god on his side rather than any earthly advantage.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Rob Warner not saying something ’cause it might get him in touble *sadface*.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It was Claudio, mostly just him saying something when he didn’t have an answer and people reading way to much into a throw away comment from a guy who hit the deck harder than an old lady on a cruise ship 😉

fergal
    Free Member

What happened to Bulldog?

BoardinBob

Big crash

chiefgrooveguru

Was going fast, looking pretty tidy but then lost the front wheel on the dust and stacked it hard.

chiefgrooveguru

Despite the general scepticism beforehand, I thought it was actually a really good and testing track and made for great racing.

fergal
    Free Member

I must be living in a parallel universe didn’t he qualify in first place.

chiefgrooveguru

Stupid new rules means that they don’t actually race in qualifying order. The UCI is full of geniuses…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It made for a good entertaining broadcast the new order, mixed things up and meant all of the top riders and the fastest qualifiers were on rather than missing a bunch who punctured etc, not good if you only tune in for the end but great for making a quality hour or so of TV, Red Bull have really stepped up this year I think with the saturday pre show and the slot after for discussions/debrief

Trimix
    Free Member

I reckon the Woman’s season is wide open this year.  RA did not look faster than the rest of the contenders.  Cecil was pretty bloody good as well.

scruff
    Free Member

Cecille is going to win this year, she’s too good not to after only what, two DH WCs?

Good to see some other faces on the mens podium.

Great viewing, lots of cameras.

Are the juniors runs up anywhere to view?

martinhutch

Stupid new rules means that they don’t actually race in qualifying order. The UCI is full of geniuses…

Crazy decision. I can understand the reasoning of offering protected rider status to the top ten, but there has to be some incentive to push on during qualifying.

scruff
    Free Member

I didn’t understand the running order at all.

BoardinBob

Yeah the running order is crap. Really spoiled it for me. The fastest qualifier last down the hill is the proper way to do it. Creates much more drama

mindmap3
    Free Member

I wasn’t sure about the track to start with but I did enjoy the race yesterday – still don’t think the urban finish added much.

Rachel didn’t look like an unstoppable force this year, so it’ll be interesting to see what her pace is like at Fort Bill next (hopefully it won’t be so muddy in the woods this year….).

The Syndicate boys looked pretty fast, as did the new Intense team but I can’t see past Gwin (again this season). Hopefully someone will be able to mount a good challenge so it’s not a case of competing for the other podium spots.

maxtorque

To Rach didn’t look like she was actually pushing to me.  Sure, she’s always pretty smooth, but she wasn’t pumping anything or really trying to find the limits of grip. She also didn’t look as physically fit as previous years, ok, she’s had an injury disrupted off season, but i wonder if she’s starting to loose the “fire” to win? I mean, it’s not like she’s got anything left to prove is it!

The first round is never the round to go mad at, lots to loose and little to win.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Enjoyed the race over-all.

I think the new format is going to hurt some riders profile wise, I’m thinking of the likes of Gee Atherton, he’s not really the big name in DH he used to be and based on my understanding of the protected rules he’ll need to be top 10 over-all to get on Telly.

Track was cool, low distance meant 100% coverage for the first time ever, I wouldn’t have chosen the last split to be down an alley, it lacked drama and it didn’t seem that easy to gain or lose time (unless you had a flat) but hey a WC race is a WC Race! It’s a shame it’s such a long wait till Ft. William now.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Re the point of loss of incentive. Surely they still award points for qualifying? Not insignificant pounts even if gwim prefers not to bother chasing them.

Always a bit let down when gwin wins. Bit like Schumacher. He’s actually awesome to watch though and it’s genuinely astonishing that he’s a class apart and still looks so smooth. Where does he find the time? All the riders who came down before looked on the limits of grip and control and he was still seconds ahead. He’s just a natural talent and we’ve not seen such a cool race head ever before. He looks so relaxed which is ominous for the competition. Very impressed with Norton as well

fingerbang
    Free Member

What’s happened to gee? He was so off the pace I’d assumed a crash. This can’t be doing his ego any good. There’s a definite generational shift going on, Danny Hart seems like a veteran now and he’s only 26

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I really didn’t enjoy watching the track, it looked ugly.

The riders were epic though. Massive respect to anyone pushing hard down there.

P-Jay
    Free Member

What’s happened to gee? He was so off the pace I’d assumed a crash.

Can’t always blame the bike, but he was a top 5 over-all riders he entire career until they moved to Trek, which coincided with a couple of big crashes I think, but his results have fallen off a cliff ever since. Even his career highlights section on the Trek Factory Racing site read like “why not to ride a Trek” it’s a long list of podiums and wins then 2016 it’s a 4th a Hardline and an 18th at Worlds last year.

It didn’t slow Rachel down of course, but I’d almost forgot about him until I was picking my DH Fantasy league.

dirkpitt74

For some reason I always read it as Legoland lol.

Hoping for a good race – hoping that Danny H has a better race without the home crowd pressure.

Would also be great to see some of the other Brits do well, but I suspect it’ll probably be an American (either on a YT or Santa Cruz) or French man that wins .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I reckon there are better British bets for a win there, Greenland will be getting closer, his relaxed attitude does him a lot of good.

I’d say with the speed of the track the SC boys look like a real good bet they have the form of the season so far

ferrals
    Free Member

Sounds like they’ve made the track a bit better according to the Cathrovision track walk vid (on YouTube).

anyone seen a course preview vid? They don’t seem to be coming out as early as last year

dirkpitt74

No Claudio course previews for a while as he had brain surgery a couple of weeks back after his course preview crash in Croatia.

Brendog did one for Fort Bill but was just a POV without commentary.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Interesting looking changes!

paton
    Free Member

malv173
    Free Member

Yeah Needles! Not as excitable as Claudio, but certainly worthy of taking the mantle (hopefully only temporarily). Looks like a nice fast race to be had.

oldtalent
    Free Member

The Cathro stuff is great, real shame about the 3 minute time limit though. Wonder why wyn, gmbn, etc etc are allowed to do longer videos?

geex
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 318 total)

The topic ‘2018 WC DH’ is closed to new replies.