Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,710 total)
  • 2016 Olympic Cycling (Spoilers likely!)
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want good racing, then you want there to be at least the risk of this happening, if not a likelihood.

Love to see that in a race risk assessment, or on the application for your public liability insurance. The DH comparisons will continue but most people will have very little idea about what goes on in setting up races and getting stuff signed off.
    Deliberately adding risk with serious consequences is reckless.
    Not spotting it is negligence.

Edit @thm the consequences of hitting the gutter kerb thing could have been reduced. I agree not eliminated but mitigated.

igm

When riders are pushing as hard as they can, crashes will happen on descents, corners, cobbles and straight bits of road in Harrogate. I’ve even seen crashes on climbs (and I’m not thinking of this year’s Ventoux which gets a special category). Same in rallying or F1 or even some running races.

The issue is what happens next – slide across road losing skin into something soft or slide across road losing skin into a concrete block?

The consequences are very different, and I think that is the point. A couple of lorry loads of hay bales would have totally changed the consequences on that descent. She’d probably have been sat there cursing her luck as the others went by her, before getting back on the bike and cruising to the finish.

On the plus side, she’s tweeting that although she has fractures she’ll be OK. Hard as.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

If you watch the vid of Van Vleuten’s crash then you’ll see it was a simple, basic line error – she was on completly the wrong line.

She is in the middle of the RIGHT carriageway approaching a tightening right-hander. Mid-corner she runs out of room, bricks herself, slams on both brakes and goes OTB into the gutter/massive kerb. She should be on the LEFT side on entry, and the road before is basically straight so this was easy to do.

You may prefer to blame the road/IOC/someone but this was Van Vleuten’s error, and a basic error at that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016-annemiek-van-vleuten-crash-video-womens-road-race-conscious-hospital-a7177806.html?cmpid=facebook-post

igm

Separate the crash and the consequence.

She crashed, but the consequences were are least in part down to the organisers.

buckster
    Free Member

The consequences are very different, and I think that is the point. A couple of lorry loads of hay bales would have totally changed the consequences on that descent. She’d probably have been sat there cursing her luck as the others went by her, before getting back on the bike and cruising to the finish.

And thats about it, hay bales would have made a huge difference, Im amazed that the safety folk didnt agree or didnt think of it or be told. Disc brakes, handling skills, commitment etc we will never know but hay bales would have helped

nbt

I don’t think anyone is saying that the the IOC or the course designer is responsible for the crash, what people are sayign is that they should have been more considerate of the RESULTS of the crash

BBC have a couple of still pics showing what happened – having seen it live I’ve no desire to watch the video again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37005595

Not really wanting to get into a huge debate about this, I thought it was an excellent race overall and I agree that the possibility of crashing due to rider error is part of what makes it a good race, but the reslt of that crash needs to be considered and it wasn;t considered enough in this instance

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Deliberately adding risk with serious consequences is reckless.
    Not spotting it is negligence.

So which bit are you accusing the organisers of?

Edit @thm the consequences of hitting the gutter kerb thing could have been reduced. I agree not eliminated but mitigated.

To an extent, the roads and the gutters were not designed for racing, Racing chose the road, What are your expectations? Every bit of kerb and every corner to be padded?

anyway, there but for the grace of God…I just wish here a speedy and full recover. Over and out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You may prefer to blame the road/IOC/someone but this was Van Vleuten’s error, and a basic error at that.

So a beginners guide to risk assessment.
    What could happen here?
    Well a rider could slip out etc. Get off line and if it’s wet it could be more likely.
    What is the consequences of that happening?
    Well they will slide into that massive stepped kerb/gutter at speed.
    That could be a very nasty accident resulting in head/neck injuries and other broken bones.
    the important bit
    If we can’t eliminate the risk (it’s a bike race so probably not) what can we do to mitigate the consequences to a reasonable level.

@thm the comments about negligence and reckless were for the poster suggesting that we need that sort of risk for good racing.

martinhutch

This. Yes, we can expect fully-committed riders to make mistakes and go down on descents.

It is precisely because this is completely foreseeable that we expect the organisers to take a glance at the run-out from a handful of the worst corners and attempt to mitigate the consequences.

Does the TT use a different course?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I bet Van Vleuten would be cheered up massively by reading this thread. 😥
    She probably wouldn’t.

nbt

At least part is the same, the TT goes along the newly-tarmacced bits on the cobbled section heading south towards the first loop (commentary was saying that the tarmac was laid expressly for the TT). That leads me to suspect they won’t be using Vista Chinesa

legend
    Free Member

reggiegasket – Member
    If you watch the vid of Van Vleuten’s crash then you’ll see it was a simple, basic line error – she was on completly the wrong line.

Balls. She didn’t set herself up on the wrong line, she got late coming out of the previous turn and by the time she got to her accident knew she was going to have trouble making the turn. However, due to the kerbs taking away all option of going wide there was zero option other than to attempt to yank it round, and she had a bloody good go. The error that caused it could’ve been 100 yards back up the road

kcal

presumably the organisers reckoned yes they may crash but the cost / fuss of protecting those gutters / gulleys wasn’t important – or would reduce the road space – or – if raining – would affect the efficiency of clearing surface water.

That was just horrendous to watch, my wife was convinced she’d broken her neck there and then, and the impact was about as bad as you can get..

MrSmith
    Free Member

So what? The issue is the drainage channels and high curbs that have contributed to broken pelvis vertebra and collar bones by seasoned proffessional riders who at the time were racing at the limit in the final km to win an Olympic medal.

the significant contributor to some of those injuries was the poor crash protection/run-off areas at the side of the road. Had they come off on a similar European road there would have probably been a low kerb and pathway and less injuries.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

RegieGasket,

What legend and others said, wrong line but not deliberate and looked more like a high side than a braking error, the back wheel steps out, finds some grip and the resultant sideways momentum throws her over the bars.

Regardless, crashes happen. It could have been a baby Robin on the course, or another rider, the cause is immaterial because you can’t control it except by canceling the race (or holding a straight flat time trial). The only thing you can influence is the outcome. That kerb could have had a ramp put against it, or straw bales (look at hairpins on the tour, they very often have bales if there’s no run off), or flatten the kerb entirely and put up netting. None of that would be difficult or complicated, which is why it’s done elsewhere, but the organizers didn’t for some reason.

ferrals
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member

This. Yes, we can expect fully-committed riders to make mistakes and go down on descents.

It is precisely because this is completely foreseeable that we expect the organisers to take a glance at the run-out from a handful of the worst corners and attempt to mitigate the consequences.

Completely agree, looked like a horrific crash, felt sick watcing it. Though she could well have been dead.

How much does it cost to haybale or mattress the corner? nothing in the scale of Olympic spending. A bad oversight pure and simple. No idea why there is dispute, crash mitigation should have happened and it didnt.

theotherjonv

@kcr and mikewsmith

If you want good racing, then you want there to be at least the risk of this happening, if not a likelihood.

No.The risk of injury is not a prerequisite for good racing.

Very selective quoting of what i said. I said

“it’s a race, some very fatigued athletes at the limit of their abilities, there is an expectation that people are going to overcook corners. If you want good racing, then you want there to be at least the risk of this happening, if not a likelihood.

But when it happens, you want there to be a run off, or at worst a bit of torn lycra and road rash. Maybe even occasionally a collarbone – roads are hard. As well as the obvious crashes in the tour there were loads more where people overcooked corners and rode into the bushes or into people’s driveways.

The issue here was no run offs and big, raised edge kerbstones meaning that even an innocuous off carried a high risk of harm. On one hand everyone knew they were like that and had the choice to ride more safely as a result, but I still think more needed to be done to protect those edges”

Your misquoting is making me feel like a **** and i’m absolutely not, I’m outraged by the lack of protection of those edges. As i said in another post, for a few haybales this could have been avoided – the Red Bull soap box derby has better accident provision. Disgraceful.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Apologies, my mistake to quote the quote.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Had they come off on a similar European road there would have probably been a low kerb and pathway and less injuries. sheer drop off the edge of a mountain

Fixed that for you.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I find a lot of the comments above a bit odd.

When the TdF was in Yorkshire there were many situations where the road ended with a dry stone wall, and no one complained.

A lot of Alpine decents are way more dangerous too.

Maybe we should make all race courses like this. Take away the risk, take away the skill factor.

I hope the Dutch rider recovers fully. She took a risk on the day and it didn’t pay off. That’s sport.

vondally
    Free Member

The duty of any organised sporting committee it to protect its competitors whilst retaining the fundementals of the sport, so look at the rule changes to rugby on order to protect its participants especially in the scrum, hockey introducing face masks at short corners.

The road race organisers failed to make the appropriate arrangements to protect riders from serious harm on the descents if a crash occured. It then failed to have marshalls close enough to offer assistance. It learnt nothing from the mens race when the crashes indicated the potential dangers, in fact it did not retension the point that Porte went into the fence.

The crash was horrific and one hopes the rider will recover fully.

theotherjonv

Had they come off on a similar European road there would have probably been a low kerb and pathway and less injuries. sheer drop off the edge of a mountain a telegraph pole

Fixed your fix.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/video/2015/jul/21/geraint-thomas-crash-16th-stage-tour-de-france-video

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

hockey introducing face masks at short corners

I saw that yesterday. It has changed the sport. The goal keeper is now padded to the hilt. It changes the game completely, which is fine, but its not the game it was. It wont be long before its like ice hockey.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Pretty sure there’ll be a grass verge before the stone wall in Yorkshire? Please show us a picture of a stone wall on a blind bend on a 1:5 hill with no grass verge.

aP
    Free Member

I find the “victim blaming” quite depressing, on a cycling forum.
    I’m surprised no one’s starting asking for F1 to go back to the “good ‘ole days” when they used to kill on average a driver per race.
    And to finish, a quote for Jackie Stewart,
    “Cornering is like bringing a woman to a climax. Both you and the car must work together. You start to enter the area of excitement at the corner, you set up a pace which is right for the car and after you’ve told it it is coming along with you, you guide it along at a rhythm which has by now become natural. Only after you’ve cleared the corner you can both take pleasure in knowing it’s gone well.”

whitestone
    Free Member

Pretty sure there’ll be a grass verge before the stone wall in Yorkshire? Please show us a picture of a stone wall on a blind bend on a 1:5 hill with no grass verge.

Halfway down The Cove Road by Malham Cove, sharp left-hand bend just where the bridleway heads off down to the village. Can’t find a shot of the actual bend but this is a little further up the road http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1367166 . Yes there’s grass between road and wall but it’s all of a foot wide.

The steep bit of Park Rash is similar – http://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/park-rash/ , Oxnop Scar – http://cyclinguphill.com/oxnop-scar/ I’m pretty sure there are others.

chakaping
    Free Member

OK I wasn’t gonna contribute anymore but I just wonder if those arguing “it’s just what road racing is” have grasped why CB thought the descent was too dangerous.

My understanding from the commentary is that there were a number of steep, off camber corners leading into those wheel-trapping gutters.

The UCI has been defending the course so I assume it organised the event, or at least ratified it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Steepness has nothing to do with it either. The people that wanted to win the race took a gamble, unfortunately for some in didn’t pay off.

This is an example of one of the decents on TdF.

https://goo.gl/maps/4AGvFP9k2vt

irelanst
    Free Member

It’s going a little off topic, but there were concerns at the time about the Yorkshire roads at the tour;

Narrow Roads

The van Vleuten crash was sickening, the impact was hard and the fact that she was lying motionless for some time really didn’t look good for her. I hope she can make a full recovery.

Back to the actual race, I thought Lizzie rode well (pretty much unsupported), it was a shame she didn’t quite have the legs up the last climb to stay in touch and I guess the rest of the group lent on her on the run in. I think the Dutch deserved the win, they rode a smart race with a very strong team.

chakaping
    Free Member

Saw Rochelle Gilmore interviewed by the BBC last night.

She made the very good point that Lizzie is likely to have had a few sleepless nights in the last week, so who knows what could have been if she was better at using the whereabouts system?

crazy-legs

You need to separate out the crash itself (which shouldn’t have been unexpected, people crash in all dynamic, fast-moving sports) and the consequences of that crash (slamming into a big concrete kerb).

Watching it on TV, I thought the descent looked good – it’s nice to see a race with some technical aspects rather than simply a massive great hillclimb to a summit finish or a big wide boulevard sprint to end it.

However I can appreciate that taken at speed, epsecially in those quite dark conditions and with what looked like a bit of drizzly rain falling that it could very quickly have become dangerous.

Falling off is one thing but that kerb should have been protected. They managed it on the Olympic RR course in London using red padded bags which also helped showcase the line to take. The fact is that the organisers hadn’t even been back to fix the fence that Porte had been caught by the previous day.

vondally
    Free Member

Funkydunc re hockey, thankful no it is not the same game, no grass pitches no wooden sticks, it is faste r and the introduction of composite sticks, better techniques and generally faster the keepers need to progress from old cricket pads to kit that protects them. Having witnessed two skull injuries at short corners I am all in favour for a better game for players and spectators.

I find the “victim blaming” quite depressing, on a cycling forum.
    I’m surprised no one’s starting asking for F1 to go back to the “good ‘ole days” when they used to kill on average a driver per race.

[/i]

I echo this sentiment but would just say victim blaming is depressing. Any one longing for the good ole days, there are several anecdotes of injuries and deaths on the thread already and that is why sport needs to protect the competitors and balance with keeping the fundementals of the sport.

OK I wasn’t gonna contribute anymore but I just wonder if those arguing “it’s just what road racing is” have grasped why CB thought the descent was too dangerous.

I am assuming , possibly incorrectly that we have no Olympic champions nor tour de France riders on the thread, so if CB has concerns then I will listen to his expertise.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I am assuming , possibly incorrectly that we have no Olympic champions nor tour de France riders on the thread, so if CB has concerns then I will listen to his expertise.

I’ll be interested to hear from one of the local lads who was in it…

slowoldman

And to finish, a quote for Jackie Stewart,
    “Cornering is like bringing a woman to a climax

He taught Swiss Tony everything he knows.

corroded
    Free Member

so if CB has concerns then I will listen to his expertise

I think we’ve had quite enough of experts in this country, thank you very much.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

She took a risk on the day and it didn’t pay off. That’s sport.

I think you’re missing the point.

Taking a risk is part of sport, but the consequences of getting it wrong shouldn’t be so serious, i.e life threatening/career ending.

I admire those of you who are taking Boardman to task on this but I ask you:

What exactly do you know about road racing? Put up a list of your achievements for us all to gauge & judge. Lets see if they compare to Boardman’s….

If he thinks the course was lacking in protection for the riders, I’m inclined to take his word for it. Not some keyboard warrior on a MTB forum…..

chakaping
    Free Member

Not to mention he’s actually ridden (or at least seen) the road in question in real life.

theotherjonv

“Cornering is like bringing a woman to a climax

Depressingly so….. I start off on exactly the right line, I lower my posture, I shift my position to effect the perfect entry, then i overcook it and end up in a sticky mess flat on my back some way short of the desired exit point.

TiRed

Whilst I wouldn’t be taking cornering lessons from CB, I completely agree with his sentiments. Crashing is part of road racing (he should know), it’s the consequences we have a right to feel angry about.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Taking a risk is part of sport, but the consequences of getting it wrong shouldn’t be so serious, i.e life threatening/career ending.

Why not?

There are plenty of sports out there where serious injury/death are a consequence. Its all part of what makes up the sport. Did anyone pull out of either road race stipulating the course was too dangerous?

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,710 total)

The topic ‘2016 Olympic Cycling (Spoilers likely!)’ is closed to new replies.