Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,710 total)
  • 2016 Olympic Cycling (Spoilers likely!)
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Personally I’m siding with Boardman – if he thinks that course was dangerous then that’s good enough for me.

+1

aracer
    Free Member

I’m with you on the general point – nothing at all wrong with that descent from a technical POV, and I don’t think CB disagrees either. The danger involved was horrible though. I have to take issue with your last point though – riders crashing and getting broken collarbones is par for the course when riding in big packs and touching wheels, it’s not what usually happens on fast descents where road rash is normally the worst result. On multiple descents on multiple stages of the TdF did anybody crash so badly to end their race?

I can only think that all the injuries were from riders hitting things where there should have better protection. As mentioned above it wouldn’t have been that difficult to put some hay bales out and they would have probably helped a lot.

It’s what they’re not saying in their medical updates which is worrying – no mention of what immediately worried me seeing that crash.

edit: thanks soma you posted while I was typing – as feared, though the lack of official updates is still worrying (I know the biggest priority isn’t updating us, and she deserves some privacy, but if she was OK you’d think they might say), potentially rather more life changing than any of the men’s injuries

crazy-legs

Fairly consistent reports on Twitter saying 3 broken ribs, punctured lung & broken collarbone.

Kind of half wanting some updates and half just appreciating that her & her family need some privacy. Best wishes to her.

So anyway – track cycling next…

aracer
    Free Member

Time trials next – we surely have a decent chance in both of those.

Strange headline on this video: “Annemiek van Vleuten escapes injury after heavy crash” – they may want to think about editing that: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37004454 (and you may not want to watch the video if you haven’t already seen it – I’m not wanting to watch it again)

Have sent feedback to the BBC – I’m not sure it’s something they act on very quickly though!

spacemonkey

BBC saying 3 small fractures in her back. I think she’d prefer those 3 broken ribs mentioned above.

Healing vibes.

igm

Aracer – BBC are quoting UCI.

Cycling’s governing body, the International Cycling Union, said she “continues to be under examination” but has “no serious medical problem”.

The UCI said Van Vleuten was “conscious and could communicate” as she was taken to hospital following the crash.

Apparently concussion and fractures, but no internal bleeding or lost consciousness. I’m not sure that’s not serious. Hopefully simple fractures that heal and not effect on spinal column.

That’s the worst road crash I’ve seen for a long time.

aracer
    Free Member

Well she didn’t escape injury did she? I don’t think the UCI are saying that – I’m not sure even claiming she escaped serious injury would be true.

igm

Aracer – BBC are saying “avoids serious injury” now. That said I don’t think I’m really arguing with you. I certainly wouldn’t want to crash like that.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s possible they read my comment and updated – I have a reply to say my comments have been read – though more likely somebody with more direct access to the editorial team noticed.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Fairly low speed crash wasn’t it, compared to some of the crashes we’ve all probably had. Getting thrown over the front like that has been fairly common for me in the past.

Which is precisely why I’m going to start wearing a back protector, or at least one built into a backpack. You’d have to be properly hooning/unlucky to break your back from a frontal impact or one to the shoulders.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Getting thrown over the front like that has been fairly common for me in the past.

at 30mph? into a foot deep concrete square section drainage ditch?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

oh and….

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

at 30mph? into a foot deep concrete square section drainage ditch?

I guess she could have been doing 30 mid corner, looked like she dropped a lot of speed before.

But yeah, I’ve come off a few times over the front at quite high speed and got away with it because my back didn’t land on a rock. So I felt a bit uneasy after I saw that crash – I like being able to walk as does my wife, so I think I will make the decision to lessen that risk a little so as not to force someone to have to push me around in a wheelchair because of my obsession with riding a bicycle down hills.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think I’m gonna stop reading this thread now.

legend
    Free Member

Good lord the bullshit level just went through the roof here

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Glad to hear that she’s going to be ok, i’m going to leave this alone due to being in danger of suffocating under the massive pile of bullpoo.

twonks

Probably picked the wrong moment to comment in this thread, but some of the comments here (above) and other forums are plain weird.

Sure we’ve all had crashes – some nasty that look nothing, some look horrific that we walk away from.

Comparing one with another isn’t terribly easy without load cells placed all over ones body at the time of impact – but yesterdays was very nasty. She hit a road then a concrete object with her head / back. All at speed and with a net result of stopping more or less instantly against said hard object.

It was awful and a horrible thing to see on live TV.

Hopefully she’ll pull through and be 100%.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I really have to wonder if anyone complaining about that descent actually watches road racing. Go search for Bardet’s descent on youtube, the penalties of getting it wrong there are a sheer rock face or a 1000ft drop, makes the dangers on this weekends course seem bland. And i just used that as an example, there’s any number of mountain descents with life threatening consequences for getting things wrong.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I really have to wonder if anyone complaining about that descent actually watches road racing.

Well one bloke knows a bit about it
    Boardman said:

“I’m actually quite angry because I looked at the road furniture and thought nobody can crash here and get up. This was way past technical, this was dangerous,” Boardman said.

It’s heartbreaking for van Vleuten who was leading at the time but serious question marks have to be raised over the safety of the course which also had numerous crashes in the men’s race yesterday.

The safety of the riders has to be a priority.
    http://www.joe.ie/sport/watch-cyclist-at-olympic-road-race-suffers-horrific-crash-on-descent/555835
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/annemiek-van-vleuten-crash-cycling-road-race_uk_57a78547e4b00be643364a96

epicyclo

fifeandy – Member
    …there’s any number of mountain descents with life threatening consequences for getting things wrong.

Just because it may be the case now doesn’t make it right.

We had all these arguments 50 years ago about motorcycle racing and thankfully they did something about it.

RustyMac

I am relieved to read her twitter posts that she is OK, hopefully she makes a full and speedy recovery from some nasty injuries. She has not had much luck in the recent past by the look of this article where just last year she was hospitalised when a car hit her when TT training.

fifeandy
    Free Member

So we should ban mountains then, and cobbles?

Maybe crosswinds too? (See Alaphilippe’s TT crash in this years tour)

Would love to sit down and chat with CB about it, he clearly has been quite vocal that he had a problem with it, but would love to hear his logic how its different from what riders deal with on a day to day basis.

For me the only difference is the lure of an Olympic medal caused several riders to abandon any caution at all. Maybe we should just ban the Olympics?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yes, but he’s not talking about the corners, he’s talking about the kerbs and ditches. Some on here are arguing that the corners were the dangerous bits for causing crashes in the first place.

True.

But I’ll take his opinion over anyone else on here.

He does, after all, have the palmares that I doubt a soul on here can even get close to..

Trimix
    Free Member

Boardman better not watch the DH mountain biking or Red Bull Rampage then.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the thing about the olympic descent is that it contained tightening corners, that were hard to see/read due to the trees everywhere and caught people out. This was what caught out Thomas and Van Vleuten (same corner I think). Sure, the TdF has rock faces and big drops but the French engineers don’t tend to build in blind, tightening corners into their mountain descents!

The kerbs are a different issue. They were too big, obviously, but they didn’t cause the crashes, did they…

To me, the crashes were the riders fault. Pure and simple. The surface was good and they should’ve known the course and the dodgy corners. Some of the descending skills were very poor, especially in the women’s race.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Would love to sit down and chat with CB about it, he clearly has been quite vocal that he had a problem with it, but would love to hear his logic how its different from what riders deal with on a day to day basis.

The difference to a day to day situation is you or I aren’t racing on the limits of grip.

CB is right, and there is nothing wrong with the course (he even said it was the best ever on the highlights last night) but the problem was the street furniture. Look at any European road race, for the TDF they have councils rip up whole roundabouts and remove everything in the last few km’s, lampposts get padded, etc etc.

The organisers should have looked at that corner, and the others, and put straw bales over the ditches and kerbs to protect riders from the consequences of crashing.

Riders have been killed by kerbs, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabio_Casartelli

Road riding will always be dangerous, but thankfully with decent precautions it’s probably now not much more risky than track racing. You’ll always get road rash and broken bones, but riders shouldn’t be slamming into larger than average kerbs and drainage ditches without some mitigation for the consequences.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

would love to hear his logic how its different from what riders deal with on a day to day basis.

Road cycling seems desperate to hold onto its good old days… We had riders breaking bones, cracking vertebrae etc. The TT will be poorer for the injuries sustained.

Boardman better not watch the DH mountain biking or Red Bull Rampage then.

I think there were more crashed in the men’s Road race than in the finals at mont St Anne and the last rampage. The road race took more to hospital.

Road cycling has a safety problem. The motorbike crashes, ventoux, cars hitting riders and bad course design, several riders were vocal about ridiculous finishes in the TdF due to having to do what the local tourist board wanted.

The road race in many ways was a disappointment, like the TdF many things decided by crashes (people being left with nowhere to go after somebody goes down) the number of mechanical problems over the cobbles. Would have been good to see the riders actually fight it out.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

+1 spoon.

Anyone who thinks/or is they are riding at the same level of commitment as pro rider in a pro race on the public highway is an accident looking for somewhere to happen. I hope they are carrying a donor card!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The kerbs are a different issue. They were too big, obviously, but they didn’t cause the crashes, did they…
    To me, the crashes were the riders fault. Pure and simple. The surface was good and they should’ve known the course and the dodgy corners. Some of the descending skills were very poor, especially in the women’s race.

Sorry missed that gem… In that case they were on the wrong course and a duty of care was not properly exercised. You will always have a mix of riding levels in an Olympics. As for kerbs not causing crashes they did however cause some very bad injuries.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Road cycling has a safety problem. The motorbike crashes, ventoux, cars hitting riders and bad course design, several riders were vocal about ridiculous finishes in the TdF due to having to do what the local tourist board wanted.

Certainly won’t here me disagreeing about the cars/motorbikes. In many cases there would be no race without TV money to pay for it, but that shouldn’t come at the expense of the riders. Have seen some cases this year where the motos outnumber the riders which is madness.

Anyone who thinks/or is they are riding at the same level of commitment as pro rider in a pro race on the public highway is an accident looking for somewhere to happen. I hope they are carrying a donor card!

Actually, it seems very common for amateurs to ride at that level of commitment, sadly without the same skills much of the time. They have had to neutralise one of the descents in La Marmotte as riders kept throwing themselves over the edge of the mountain…….

thestabiliser
    Free Member

To me, the crashes were the riders fault. Pure and simple. The surface was good and they should’ve known the course and the dodgy corners.

Well durr, racing IS pushing it to the edge, that’s what it’s all about otherwise is a sunday school outing BUT the problem here was the consequences of the crashes were hugely exaggerated given the road furniture, all of those injuries were predictable and avoidable.

Some of the descending skills were very poor, especially in the women’s race.

Funnily enough I’m sure I’ve seen an advert from one of the pro teams looking for internet blowhards to coach their riders, perhaps you should apply?

NZCol

Thing for me was her lying there for > 2 mins with no medical help at all. WTF, the Olympics, and that happens. Just as well the guy there didn’t try and move her.

IHN

Funnily enough I’m sure I’ve seen an advert from one of the pro teams looking for internet blowhards to coach their riders, perhaps you should apply?

On the evidence of this thread, there’ll be some stiff competition for the post.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We have no comment about Disc Brakes on road bikes yet..

🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dont like looking at videos of others’ misfortune but caught a glimpse of the crash on BBC – it seemed that she lost her wheel on the paint in the middle of the road. So more bad luck than anything?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So more bad luck than anything?

Just a shame that bad luck had serious consequences that were avoidable really…

premier
    Free Member

It was more the placement in the race – a decent like that with 10k to go is always going to encourage riders to take big risks as the rewards are so high – that’s racing but the lack of any run off made fo no margins for error. The fact most of the corners were essentially blind meant it was easy to come unstuck – it looked like she had got ‘lost’ in her memory of the decent imo

kcr
    Free Member

If you want good racing, then you want there to be at least the risk of this happening, if not a likelihood.

No.The risk of injury is not a prerequisite for good racing.

I think there is general agreement it was an excellent course in terms of delivering competitive racing. The descent was challenging (narrow road, tight bends) which is not a problem in itself. The problem was that there was little safety margin when someone got it wrong, because of the big kerbs, storm drains, big poles and other street furniture. I think Chris Boardman is calling that out and saying they should have done more to engineer out potential hazards. It would be difficult to do that in some cases (those big storm gutters are there for a reason) but all I could see on the descent was green netting, so CB is probably right, and they could have taken more precautions

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Hard to say thm.

From what I can recall, as I’ve no desire to watch it again; the corner tightened on her, she tried to scrub speed, then tried to turn, the front wheel locked up & then bit again & that’s when she got spat off. I think it had also started to rain a little by this point.

Sickening crash, one of the worst I’ve seen in a road race for sometime.

One thing I did notice watching the race WAS the lack of protection on the course, plus the netting hadn’t been fixed from Porte’s crash the day before? Quite seriously WTF? Imagine if someone had gone off at the same point in the womans race? The crash netting would have been pretty bloody inadequate then!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

ust a shame that bad luck had serious consequences that were avoidable really…

I share you sentiments but not the conclusion. Serious consequences can be minimised but never avoided completely – my cousin’s tragic injury is testament to that unfortunately

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 1,710 total)

The topic ‘2016 Olympic Cycling (Spoilers likely!)’ is closed to new replies.