Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 1,710 total)
  • 2016 Olympic Cycling (Spoilers likely!)
  • tang
    Free Member

Loving the Spaniard nut grabbing celebration.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Crashes all part of mtb at the highest level? All part of it at the lowest level as well.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Enjoyed that too, neat.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Some of those crashes were brutal..

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The Spaniard

vondally
    Free Member

Lots of damage to rims and bikes on a ‘ blue course’

theotherjonv

Wonder what will become of that Olympic MTB course afterwards

I’m not convinced Brazil has as many fat IT managers who’ll want to drive their Audis up there of a weekend.

rusty90
    Free Member

The Spaniard

Lovely shot of him ‘suggesting’ to Marmotte that he take a turn on the front. No subtle flick of the elbow there 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Did they build a fake slum in the middle of the course?

ppapa
    Free Member

The Commonwealth games course in Glasgow (2014) in Cathkin Braes is a legacy course now, which seems to attract a number of people. I feel like there’s quite a bit of potential in it. Though I am not sure if someone maintains it.

Been there today for the first time, seen quite few cyclists.

jambalaya
    Free Member

naughty

rusty90
    Free Member

Yes. Then they set fire to it for added realism.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Hoping this race would get Peter Sagan back into mtbing but maybe not now. Shame really. If he’d been on a Cannondale again he would have won it !!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Chapeau to the GB rider for making it to the games but congrats for 17th ?

footflaps

17 out of 50 is pretty good considering how young he is…

crikey
    Free Member

..and you were opining earlier about the best way to encourage the development of XC racing in the UK.

Chimp.

He’s 17th in the world today.

slowoldman

Yes I thought that was a rather strange nod to Brazilian “culture”.

Northwind

I dunno, I won’t take away from the athleticism and skill, or the level of competition but as a televised event that was properly shit. I enjoyed the handball more and I had no idea at all what was happening in that. Not helped by the commentary and editing to be fair.

Do want a go on the track though. Not on their bikes though, that’d not end well.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sadly many sports that I enjoy including cycling and tri make pretty poor TV viewing. Having said that I enjoyed that more than I thought I would, commentary apart.

MSP

UCI should add it to the world cup calender. The current spread of races is pretty poor for a world series, even the new boys EWS get around more.

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve read that it’s on military land and may well be bulldozed after the games.

somafunk

I guess it’s a matter of your personal perspective but i thought Grant rode amazingly well to come in less than 6 minutes behind Nino, 17th place out of such a field is bloody good going

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not convinced Brazil has as many fat IT managers who’ll want to drive their Audis up there of a weekend.

MTB is really popular in Brazil, just take a look on Instagram – there’s loads of them at it.

that was properly shit.

In what way? I enjoyed it, some good battles and excellent camerawork throughout. Commentary a bit duff, but I’m inspired to see how Red Bull and Rob Warner do it at the next round of the WC.

Yeah, he’s hardly David Bowie eh?

DanW
    Free Member

Also commentator said a wheel was “pretzeled” ?? It “Pringled” or “tacoed” because of the shape! Pretzeled would mean the rim is tied in a knot.

He also said nino did a tail whip…

The commentary that bugged me was their inability to say Kul-har-ver correctly but the rest was par for the course

dunno, I won’t take away from the athleticism and skill, or the level of competition but as a televised event that was properly shit. I enjoyed the handball more and I had no idea at all what was happening in that. Not helped by the commentary and editing to be fair.

I thought it was televised pretty well and the course was very TV friendly but it was just very boring to watch. I guess the big gap in abilities made it quite predictable and there weren’t really any twists, turns or surprises compared to say the RR (which I thought was awesome)

guess it’s a matter of your personal perspective but i thought Grant rode amazingly well to come in less than 6 minutes behind Nino, 17th place out of such a field is bloody good going

Completely agree. Can’t fault the effort of a young guy getting a last minute entry and very little support. Came ahead of the likes of Gaze, Fontana and that dude who rides a bit of road. Similar kind of mark to Hermida and McConnell is no bad show.

footflaps

that was properly shit.

Each to their own. thoroughly enjoyed it myself.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@chap yes that’s my point entirely

BOC are pretty brutal about qualification so to make the event Chapeau as I said. If his entry is a building block to 2020 then thats good too especially as he’s young @footflaps points out.

crikey
    Free Member

If there was an Olympic medal for backpedalling…

eddie11
    Free Member

Women’s race was good but mens got stretched early so there weren’t many left in it. Racers make the race.

I thought the Course was great, started to cut up today after the rain. The televising of it was great, the kit they put in to cover that course with drones, fixed points and moving cameras on tracks was a credit to the sport. Commentators were crap but that was bbc’s fault the pictures we got were pretty good. But I think this thread sums up why we don’t do xc. All that and a mountain bike forum goes ‘meh’.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Thats because the likely user base of a mtb forum are the same ones that buy mtb mags and get brainwashed into believing they need 160mm of suspension and silly coloured flappy outfits.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

STEEZ!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

wasn’t the xc course what most people consider to be DH!?!

(in reality, not dreams?)

Trimix
    Free Member

Check out 1.43 on this youtube clip:

Trimix
    Free Member

Check out 3.14 on this one:

wrecker
    Free Member

I enjoyed it. Despite a previous remark, they can bloody ride can’t they!?!

Thats because the likely user base of a mtb forum are the same ones that buy mtb mags and get brainwashed into believing they need 160mm of suspension and silly coloured flappy outfits.

The average dude or dudette on here is pretty far removed from elite level XC, or DH or whatever. I’m ****ed if I’d want a 10kg race bike, or a pervert costume. Normal looking shorts, shoes and t-shirt are about perfect for the average rider. Unless you are a high end XCer and bloody fast, you look like a bell end in full on lycra. None of us are as good on a bike as these full time pro’s so it stands to reason that some will want a bit more travel as found in more versatile bikes.

Edric64
    Free Member

I thought the course and tv coverage was great and Grant rode well to finish that close to Nino

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OK, be honest, who wants a go on that course?

ME! ME! ME! PICK ME!

It looked great!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

you look like a bell end in full on lycra.

Bellend (apparently) and proud, started mtbing outside the UK where riding xc in lycra is the norm. Sorry (I’m not).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

you look like a bell end in full on lycra.

True, but look even worse pretending I am a 14 year old skateboarder in baggies

jekkyl

what about it trimix, some riders getting air?

mrblobby
    Free Member

tv coverage was great

Thought the commentary was pretty poor. Expected them to dumb down the commentary a bit given the broader audience, but they seemed to dumb down the commentators instead.

Pretty good race. Though Coloma’s finish line celebration was the highlight for me 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 1,710 total)

The topic ‘2016 Olympic Cycling (Spoilers likely!)’ is closed to new replies.