• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,001 through 4,040 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • tinybits
    Free Member

SA news reporting Eddie Jones has agreed a release deal with his club, set to be announced tomorrow. Well, there certainly could be worse! Just get rid of Farrell and I’ll be happy.

Sad to see the Lomu news, can’t beleive he was so young still.

McCaw off, fair play. What else could he possibly achieve.

Kryton57

Let’s see if Eddie Jones makes it through by the RFU BS. No doubt he’s told them he’ll have none of it, they may not like that.

anagallis_arvensis

So are you happy with Jones? Sounds welsh to me!

wrecker
    Free Member

He’s as good a choice as any of those that stayed in the running. Sooner him than White. He ain’t gonna put up with any of Farrells shit that’s for sure!
    Shame that he’ll likely take Borthwick from Bris though.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m reasonably happy with Jones. It was hardly an inspiring short list that was drawn up though :/

Odds on him picking Robshaw?

Pigface
    Free Member

Interesting times in english rugby, as has been said he will certainly ruffle some feathers. A few players might find out some harsh lessons. Will he cope with RFU interfering? let’s wait and see.

McCaw what can you say, what a career. Hope he has a long happy productive life.

Kryton57

Odds on him picking Robshaw?

Possibly, at 6.

tinybits
    Free Member

Confirmed this morning.

I expect Robshaw to get into the team. He’s a tackling machine, grafts all day long and without the captaincy, he’ll get into his stride again. Just not at bloody 7!

Interesting times ahead. Looking forward to seeing the next squad announcement.

IdleJon

Will Eddie Jones change the style of rugby that England play? I can’t see him continuing the heavy forward, 10 man style?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Jones is a great coach and will certainly improve England. (He can hardly make them worse.)

I still feel the RFU have totally ****ed up though. Ritchie should have gone along with Rob Andrew yet they’re absolving themselves of any blame. Furthermore, a director of rugby should have been appointed first who could have then led the search for the new coach.

martinhutch

Campo givin’ it straight on the radio this morning…

” It just looks like that you guys have no idea what you are doing.

“Where is your structure? Where are your young coaches who want to be the best in the world? It looks you are desperate, and you just go out and pay the money for somebody who you think will help you. Good luck…”

wrecker
    Free Member

“Where is your structure? Where are your young coaches who want to be the best in the world? It looks you are desperate, and you just go out and pay the money for somebody who you think will help you. Good luck…”

Erm….doesn’t every home nation team have a foreign coach at present?
    Has he forgotten about Robbie Deans?

Pigface
    Free Member

Campo dislikes english rugby so much he could be Welsh 😆

duckman

I wonder if Borthwick will go? Jones demanded lesson plans from coaches and was a workaholic with a frightening attention to detail. Times says Borthwick was looking forward to Bristol for a rest!

Kryton57

Looking forward to seeing the next squad announcement

Likewise. I’d expect JJ, Burrell, Watson, Brown and possibly Ford to make the 6N, but I’ve no idea about the rest. Launchbury, Parling, Kruis, Attwood & Lawes m& Slade all have a chance depending on form.

I reckon he’ll go looking for 1,2,3, 7 & 8 and reshape the pack. I do think we’ve seen the last of Barrit, Haskell, possibly Wood although he could bench for Robshaw.

I’ll stick my neck out and go Hartley for Captain 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Tweet from Ben Foden 😀

Have I ever said how much I like Eddie Jones as a Coach #gettinginthereearly

honeybadgerx

Always thought Eddie Jones looks a bit like Brian Moore’s long lost brother, or is just that all hookers get their heads squished into the same shape over time?*

EDIT: *Not a new patio related comment

drewfus
    Free Member

I’m liking Eddie Jones’ appointment..
    Would like to see Brian Ashton involved at some point though.
    Anyone willing to guess the elite England squad?

thegreatape
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/j-cuYvoS6ww[/video]

IdleJon

^^ that was funny. My wife asked me why I was giggling watching the end of the match. I had to explain what he was doing. (You’d think a girl from Llanelli would have a vague understanding of the game? 🙄 )

The Scarlets did a good job of killing themselves against Racing, despite a Racing player being sent off for a stamp early in the second half. (He deserved the red imo even though it was a pathetic little kick/stamp.)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Strange there isn’t an Englishman good enough to be coach but we have two good enough for CEO and Director of Rugby. Agreed with @namaste there should have been a clear out. Also how does an English coach get international experience so they can be a candidate in the future ?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Wasps are hammering Toulon….massively.

Ashley Johnson is playing hooker rather than 8, and is playing really well. Strong scrum and 100%from his 7 lineouts 😯

IdleJon

The Ospreys were beaten by Clermont’s home advantage. (Oh, and the ref not awarding an obvious penalty try, not awarding a borderline try, not giving a card for Tipuric being tripped, not giving a card or penalty for Arhip being neck-rolled…)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IJ, I was screaming at the radio at that game! So many bad decisions!

A very good comeback, though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

WTF?

Wasps 32 – 6 Toulon

WTACTUALF?

Wow.

Pigface
    Free Member

Was happy with Ospreys result before reading that Idle, going to sulk now. 😆

IdleJon

Tbh, as soon as George Clancy appeared on the pitch I expected the Os to lose, so business as usual I guess. A weak referee.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They need to put a video dossier together and get it over to EPRC.

French sides having a rough start to the competition. Certainly opening the door for the cup to come back. Reckon we could see an English side lifting it this season. Leinster are pretty bolloxed already and Munster will struggle to get out of their group, let alone any further. Ulster had a terrible start against Saracens. So can’t see it going to one of the provinces. Strong opening weekends from English clubs should see lots of home advantages in the QFs.

Albanach
    Free Member

Dad – what’s your opinion on (if you have one) on the likes of Keith Wood stating that Leinster in particular are suffering from post World Cup physical and mental fatigue?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dad?!? 😯

Do I need to see a solicitor?

EDIT: It’s no surprise tbh. Leinster beat Bath last season because their set piece worked. Bath were probably better at everything else. Their scrum was shoved all over the field yesterday. Hard to believe with the personnel they have. Added to this you have the likes of Kearney and a post-Racing-somehow-become-a-bit-average Sexton misfiring. I dunno how these things work post world-cup ie re-focusing etc, but it seems there’s a malaise over them at the moment. They provided the majority of Ireland’s squad for the RWC so if the players are affected by it, Leinster would suffer more than most I guess.

IdleJon

deadlydarcy – Member
    They need to put a video dossier together and get it over to EPRC.

Just like whispering the devils name three times or whatever it is – criticise an Irishman and darcy arrives in a puff of indignant smoke. 😛

Albanach
    Free Member

Sorry DD – blooming autocorrect!! I just find it hard to believe that this type of mental & physical fatigue happens when Ireland really only had 2 big games in the World Cup against France and Argentina. How much rugby have the likes of heaslip, Healy, sexton, kearneys etc actually play since the end of last season? I’d imagine not a huge amount although the training camps can obviously be pretty brutal. some of the sections have been a bit strange too…not selecting an international full back in Kerchner (sp?) and playing Madison who is at best a utility 10/12 and has limited experience in he back 3.

duckman

jambalaya – Member

Strange there isn’t an Englishman good enough to be coach but we have two good enough for CEO and Director of Rugby. Coach isn’t a job for life,thats why.

mefty
    Free Member

I won’t comment on Rob Andrew as I am not sure of his role. But as far as the CEO is concerned his remit ranges far wider than just the performance of the English team. The RFU have just held one of the best World Cups, this is a significant achievement. Likewise much in English Rugby has improved during his tenure, the friction between club and country is much reduced, the Women’s game is on a much stronger footing and Ritchie was instrumental in ensuring that the European Club Game didn’t split. I think he has sufficient credit in the bank to offset England’s very disappointing World Cup performance.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ritchie’s is an administrative role, and one he’s bloody good at.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well in respect of my dealings with him regarding RWC tickets he’s a worthless arse coverer.

Wasps 32 – 6 Toulon

CFH any side with Quade Cooper at 10 is capable of a spectacular loss 🙂 to be totally fair I haven’t seen the game. As an aside given they have signed him that makes the chances of Cipriani going there look slimmer.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Jonah Lomu likely to have died as a result of a blood clot on his lung formed when flying back from the RWC. Doctor said he was more suseptable to clots as a resukt of his condition. Doubly sad.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Read an article about Creatine and whether its use was linked to Lomu’s illness. A lot of supposition and lack of any hard evidence but interesting nontheless.

Jonah Lomu – A Life Lost Needlessly

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Ritchie’s is an administrative role, and one he’s bloody good at.

Yes he is but how does that qualify him to appoint a coach?

ON the evidence of the last four years it doesn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,001 through 4,040 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.