Viewing 40 posts - 3,161 through 3,200 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • duckman

Tom B – Member
    I love the Parling ‘lineout guru’ tag…..England had the worst lineout stats of the 2013 6n’s, when he played every game.

What worse than Scotland or France, i doubt that very much

Worse than Scotland actually Frankers, same percentage won on own ball (82) lower on Opp throw in.

anagallis_arvensis

Two words, Tom Youngs.
    Parling was excellent for Lions, having said that he’s going to struggle to get passed Lawes and Launchbury when he’s back.
    So Wales next week:
    What I’d like:
    Hook
    Cuthbert
    Davies
    Roberts
    North
    Biggar
    Phillips
    Faletau
    Warbs
    Lydiate
    AW Jones
    Ball
    Lee
    Owens
    James

Gethin
    Hibbard
    Adam
    Charteris
    Tipuric
    Richie Rees
    Priestland
    Liam Williams

what will happen:

Liam Williams
    Cuthbert
    Davies
    Roberts
    North
    Prirstland
    Webb
    Faletau
    Warbs
    Lydiate
    Aw Jones
    Charteris
    Adam
    Hibbard
    Gethin

Jaems
    Owen
    Rhodri Jones (can anyone explain why a scarlets second choice loosehead is Wales tight head cover?)
    Ball
    Tipuric
    Phillips
    Biggar
    Hook

DanW
    Free Member

Can’t really disagree on either team prediction a_a. Not sure about Samson Lee starting but Owens and James should definitely be given a proper chance. Perhaps keeping Lee in there keeps the continuity but he doesn’t look up to scratch yet.

I like the significance of Hook being listed very last in the realistic team 😀

What comes across in the Welsh selection process (and even in substitutions during the game) is a lack of trust in the guys that aren’t the big names. Almost at though they’d rather have a team firing at 50% but know what they’re getting than mix things up any take any risk at all. Frustrating… but nothing new sadly.

loum
    Free Member

Wales centre pairing is just an extension of the pack and it showed when Roberts attempt at a grubber through was both poorly conceived and executed.

JDavies effort was no better. And the passing was about the same standard too.
    Imagine how dangerous North could be with a decent centre inside.

anagallis_arvensis

JDavies effort was no better. And the passing was about the same standard too.
    Imagine how dangerous North could be with a decent centre inside.

Easily the best centre pairing in NH over last few years, its not Davies fault he was picked with only and hours rugby under his belt since Nov and at that time he’d only played a couple of games since the Lions.

tinybits
    Free Member

Agreed, Davies is class and any team would want to have him. However, he’s simply too rusty to be in form, and it showed.

Anyway:

Wales beaten at rugby by country that doesn’t even like it

😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

A very good win for England, two highly important pressure games won back to back, all solid work in the RWC build up process. Wales didn’t feature and weren’t allowed to by an excellent performance. Farrell had his best game In a long time, kicked for position very well and kicked his goals and conversions. Aside from 1/2p I didn’t see a single Welsh performance which matched their England equivalents. The first try was fabulous Wales standing around like bewildered baby rabbits in car headlights.England have some work to do as some poor decision making kept Wales in a game which they should have been truely buried in.

I don’t subscribe to the logic Ireland are somehow better/more worthy than England as potential 6N winners. They lost the head to head and beat a Welsh team who had a very poor day. I’m personally glad England lost to France as a Grand Slam could have allowed them to believe they are better than they are, more work to do.

I wonder if 1/2p will sit out the season now and rest ahead of his move to Toulon. Doesn’t seem much to play for internationally and for “club”. He was outstanding again yesterday.

Edit: will read back on the BOD discussion later, he’s been an outstanding for sure. Best Northern Hemisphere player ? Over the longer period he’s been operating internationally he’s had his highs and lows (he wasn’t very good on the Lions tour) yes he’s been the most consistent high performer but he hasn’t reached the heights Wilkenson did and he hasn’t delivered a RWC winners medal and runner up to his country in the way Johhny has done, indeed neither has Carter.

anagallis_arvensis

I thought Warburton was very good in defeat, that England allowed a shambolic wales to stay in the game for so long should be a worry. England didnt comprehensively dismantle Wales like Ireland did.
    Not sure 1/2p will have much choice as he will most lkely need surgery. England could do with working on the breakdowns out wide too, the larger Wales backs did very well in that repect by pushing the english off the ball. I reckon that my have been the thinking behind kicking the ball so long and allowing the back three to run it back. I was impressed with Nowel’s kicking game, May is a headless liability though IMO.

Kryton57

Yep. Yarde for May IMO. I wish Nowell had backed himself to run that ball tbh but to be fair that’s probably lack of confidence given his experience to date.

brakes
    Free Member

that England allowed a shambolic wales to stay in the game for so long should be a worry

Wales were never in the game.

Frankers
    Free Member

duckman – Member

Tom B – Member
    I love the Parling ‘lineout guru’ tag…..England had the worst lineout stats of the 2013 6n’s, when he played every game.

What worse than Scotland or France, i doubt that very much

Worse than Scotland actually Frankers, same percentage won on own ball (82) lower on Opp throw in.

Fair enough you can’t argue with the stats… though wasnt it last year that Tom Youngs through-ins were a bit rubbish ??

Pigface
    Free Member

Wales were never in the game.

yet they scored so many points 😆

anagallis_arvensis

A lucky try at any point and poor as they played they made a few chances, and it would have been squeaky bum time for sure. Conceding 18 points of pens would worry me. Do that against an inform team and they would be screwed. You have obviously forgotten the 2008 game.

tinybits
    Free Member

I’m with AA pm this one. Wales were there for a proper dismantling, yet stupidity kept Wales within a few points for a long period of the game. It only needed North to get the ball in a one on one, and Wales would have been in the lead.
    The dirty kiwi biter needs a good hard look at himself, although I thought the one for taking out Tongan in the air was pretty unfair – he wasn’t a lineout jumper, he just tried to jump the tackle!
    English wings need a bit more aggression. I could see Tuilagi coming back onto the wing – he’s not a 100m player, but over 30-40, he’s fast enough. May needs to learn which way forwards is as well

brakes
    Free Member

ok, so we let 1/2p practice his kicking a bit.

It only needed North to get the ball in a one on one, and Wales would have been in the lead.

don’t bet on it – he had two opportunities and fluffed them both.

mefty
    Free Member

I thought three of the penalties were pretty unlucky, although two were definitely correct. Lawes must have felt the tackler’s hands slipping and thought he had been released so carried on only for the tackler to just maintain his hold on his foot. It is immensely difficult to avoid touching a knocked on ball when it is coming straight at you – it is an instinctive reaction, so I have some sympathy for Hartley there (although Morgan managed it a few minutes earlier). And I am still confused how the Falateu tackle was a penalty as he wasn’t a jumper so again Hartley seems to have been unlucky – would appreciate a better informed view.

I was at the game and England were very dominant, seemed to be a yard faster, with great line speed in defence. (Whilst the dominance did not open a gap on the scoreboard until the second half, the crowd did not seem in the least bit nervous.) I thought it was very similar to Ireland’s performance against Wales, neither team gave Wales enough time to play and they became rattled, but Ireland were slightly more clinical. These two teams have been the best and I think either would be a worthy champion.

Jonny Wilkinson did not win the World Cup for England alone, he played behind one of the greatest packs in the history of the game, and had some pretty handy talent alongside in the backs too. Whilst BOD has played in some very fine Irish sides, they never quite had the weight of quality and form at the right time to win a World Cup and that can’t be held against him. He is certainly the most complete NH back I have seen in the modern game.

anagallis_arvensis

And I am still confused how the Falateu tackle was a penalty as he wasn’t a jumper so again Hartley seems to have been unlucky – would appreciate a better informed view.

Not any better informed, but I agre with that.
    The scrums were my bug bear, one case wales going forward English front row pop up wales pinged for driving up, next Wales going forward Wales front row pop up, wales pinged for popping up. As for Gethin I have no idea how the ref knows if it was Gethin driving in or Wilson turning in, having said that Gethin should have been able to sort it out but once Wilson had the protection of the ref he could just turn in surely.
    As was said by Gareth Llewellyn said on Scrum V Wales scrummaged strongly but not intelligently.

England wee the better side regardless but it would be nice to see scrums finished. I cant helped thinking that if refs stopped bloody giving pens so often it would help.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd0EUpy490Q[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

Sir Clive gives us his amazing insight into why Wales lost. I expect he thinks Gatland should have taken a spin Dr to Aus with the Lions too

The former British Lions coach was also concerned when watching Wales in the warm-up.

He said: “I was pitchside during Wales’s warm-up and I cannot believe the colour of their tracksuit. “It is the most awful grey and whoever chose it needs to be taught a few things about professionalism.

“It reminded me of when Manchester United were losing 3-0 at half-time to Southampton and Sir Alex Ferguson ordered his players to change out of their dreadful grey strip.

“That afternoon in April 1996 was the fifth and final time United wore that strip and they failed to win a game in it — losing four and drawing one.

“Wales have an amazing colour and it is called red. This is a professional sport and you need to look the part.

“England looked totally professional in the warm-up — all the players, coaches and staff were in the right colours.

“Wales looked awful and it was not helped by the sight of Jake Ball warming up in grey with a 2ft long red beard. It just doesn’t look professional.”…..

sauce is the Daily Flail so I havent included a link

grannygrinder
    Free Member

Looking to the future.
    Wales Under 20’s 7 – England Under 20’s 67 😆

anagallis_arvensis

Did Paul Moriarty’s kid play for england? Beat wales in the world cup final last year didnt they?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Don’t forget that England U18 beat their Scottish counterparts 28-6 yesterday as well.

Pigface
    Free Member

Woodward should of been run out of rugby after the Lions tour he ruined, the man is a twunt of the highest order

anagallis_arvensis

To be fair to Sir Clive he’s ok on the beeb but obviously has to say something for Daily Wail clickbait.

DanW
    Free Member

What was up with Farrell making a Gareth Bale-esque (heart shaped?) hand gesture every time he kicked a penalty?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What was up with Farrell making a Gareth Bale-esque (heart shaped?) hand gesture every time he kicked a penalty?

No doubt it’ll be something to do with him being a massive cock.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Anyone just see the LV highlights?

Not really vintage Gavlaa was it 😯
    First time I’ve seen him play for a while. Can’t imagine that we’ll see him again anytime soon!

DanW
    Free Member

That was my first thought DD 😀

A quick Google suggests he dedicated the Wales victory to an ill son of a friend. I was curious if he does the hand gesture thing all the time so we can lambast him for being a knob or if it was a one off thing with good intentions behind it despite outwardly appearing like a knob…

JEngledow
    Free Member

Zach Kibirige try for England U20 against Wales:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_hdyrkjO_I[/video]

(Sorry if this has already been posted, I had a quick look but couldn’t see it!)

grahamt1980

Plaid Cymru MP questions warbs being captain as he described himself as british

Anyone seen that? why can’t politicians stay out of sport.

tinybits
    Free Member

Nice try! He looks pretty handy.

Oh and genuine lol

deadlydarcy – Member
    No doubt it’ll be something to do with him being a massive cock.

grahamt1980

That is a cracking try, would have been outclassed by the Burrell one yesterday if 1/2p hadn’t made such a suicidal but awesome tackle

Kryton57

Re Farrell’s gesture:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/owen-farrell-dedicates-win-terminally-3225046

Worth googling before comments are made perhaps.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m sure it was a heartfelt gesture on his part. He’s still a massive cock.

Kryton57

I can’t deny the latter statement 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Did the itv 4 highlights show the reverse angle for Gavs yellow card? It was a very good tackle and he ripped the ball during it an Exeter player kicked it on and the ref guessed wrong on the tail of lots of bath infringements. Hardly a vintage display but he didnt do much wrong, him and that saffer 7 missed a crucial tackle. Heathcote was the one who started the rot mind with a daft chip and chase combined with getting run over by the return. That Tongan fella is bloody fast!! The Bath pack got bummed especially in the lineout.

DanW
    Free Member

With tackling like that in the U20 game it’s no wonder it was a cricket score

toys19
    Free Member

All the U20 tries here. Some lovely offloads.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUR6LFCScg[/video]

duckman

grahamt1980 – Member
    That is a cracking try, would have been outclassed by the Burrell one yesterday if 1/2p hadn’t made such a suicidal but awesome tackle

Burrell played his joker getting that first one 😉

JEngledow
    Free Member

Looking at the U20 tries, did someone tell the welsh that it was only touch rugby?!

toys19
    Free Member

Looking at the U20 tries, did someone tell the welsh that it was only touch rugby?!

To be fair, thats true for some of them, TBH the bloke who beats 7 men, whilst it looks good, it’s unrealistic in test rugby..
    There are others tries in that video where the man is well tackled, but the offloads and support play are what make them great tries.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,161 through 3,200 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.