Viewing 40 posts - 3,201 through 3,240 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • ijs445ra
    Free Member

TBH the bloke who beats 7 men, whilst it looks good, it’s unrealistic in test rugby..

Tell that to us Scotiish fans 🙁

ElVino

Wales U20 had already been beaten Ireland 0 -16 away and while Ireland lost 33-9 at Franklin Gardens to England there was nothing to indicate Wales would ship a cricket score to England.

On a separate note if Scotland were to beat wales would the knives be out for Gatland or has he sufficient credit in the bank? (realise it is a big if!)

anagallis_arvensis

Some knives are already out but the **** in charge Roger Lewis has signed him up for till after the world cup. Unless Lewis goes Gatland will go nowhere. Having said that with the regions in revolt anything could happen.

Scamper
    Free Member

In other neTrevor woodman is glaws new scrum coach. Much needed.

anagallis_arvensis

Tuilagi back in the 23

England squad for Italy (23)

Forwards (13)

David Attwood (Bath Rugby)
    Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
    Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs)
    Joe Launchbury (London Wasps)
    Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
    Joe Marler (Harlequins)
    Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby)
    Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
    Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks)
    Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
    David Wilson (Bath Rugby)
    Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)
    Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Backs (10)

Mike Brown (Harlequins)
    Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints)
    Danny Care (Harlequins)
    Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
    Owen Farrell (Saracens)
    George Ford (Bath Rugby)
    Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
    Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
    Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
    Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby)

Returning to Aviva Premiership clubs (9)

Chris Ashton (Saracens)
    Brad Barritt (Saracens)
    Freddie Burns (Gloucester Rugby)
    Alex Goode (Saracens)
    Matt Kvesic (Gloucester Rugby)
    Ed Slater (Leicester Tigers)
    Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
    Marland Yarde (London Irish)
    Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

toys19
    Free Member

oh god is Tom Youngs consistently the 2nd best hooker we have got?

tinybits
    Free Member

If he could sort out his lineout throws, he’d be the best.

anagallis_arvensis

Not sure I agree, Hartley, much as I hate him, is a damn fine player. If he were welsh I’d love him!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Hartley, much as I hate him, is a damn fine player

😯

He can’t actually hook which I would say is no small part of his job description. Good around the pitch though.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Talking of front rowers doing their job can anyone explain scrummaging technique?

Watching the Eng v Wal game I thought it looked like Jenkins on the LH side was turning and driving in (same happened with Domingo (I think it was) for France) the wire camera above the pitch made this pretty clear to me however per the linky Jenkins and coach thinks he has been singled out. So what can the opposing tighthead do to make the loosehead appear to be driving in at an angle.

Or was the ref correct and Jenkins was driving in and this is just players/coaches trying to get doubt in the Refs head prior to this weekend?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26533504

DanW
    Free Member

I think the issues is that they feel the ref went in looking for one thing only and focused on pretty much one thing only during the game rather than taking in to account lots of factors. No reset scrums in kind of positive but you can see their unhappiness without a single scrum being reset and penalties being given so quickly.

I think a_a said it before that Wales scrummaged strongly but not intelligently. Perhaps the approach by the ref could be improved but so could the scrummaging on the day too. The feeling I get from article is not that the Welsh coaches are disagreeing with this statement but more that they want to ensure fair treatment in the future and not have one thing on one player focused on only.

anagallis_arvensis

Wilson could be boring in on Hibbard, Gethin could be driving in on Wilson, who knows which, but once Wilson was protected by the ref what would stop him? He’d have been negligent not to do it. I find it hard to think a 104 capped loosehead wouldnt have at least tried to stop being pinged. The most obvious offense in this pic is Wilson binding on the arm.

DanW
    Free Member

Yep , Gethin did keep saying about binding on the arm. That’s usually the first thing refs ping for as it is the easiest to spot without having to know anything else about what is going on in the scrum. Right or wrong this is what seems to happen normally.

England also did very well to take a yard forwards on the setting of the scrum (on both feeds) which must help in setting everything up for them with more control. Wales needed their tactic from last year of letting themselves being driven back on the setting of the scrum and rack up free kicks 😉

anagallis_arvensis

and if he’s binding on the arm he will be pulling down which will cause the loosehead to turn in.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

England also did very well to take a yard forwards on the setting of the scrum (on both feeds) which must help in setting everything up for them with more control.

AKA an early shove. AKA a free kick for first infringement, rising with repeated occurrences.

The IRB Refs board need Brian Moore, Sean Fitz, the Raging Potato etc to sit down in a room with all the refs and bang their heads together, for the good of all!

DanW
    Free Member

Of course an early shove, but I didn’t see it mentioned at all in the commentary or elsewhere at the time. I think England did it just subtly enough to get the benefit but also get away with it.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Adam Jones view of what happened in the scrum, apparently a LH can’t drive in without the opposing TH doing the same.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26544882

anagallis_arvensis

Saying that the irb have sent videos to refs highlighting Gethin was quite striking!

toys19
    Free Member

He can’t actually hook which I would say is no small part of his job description. Good around the pitch though.

To be fair, there cannot be many current international hookers who have ever had to hook. It’s a new skill for everyone.

I think Hartley is excellent too, and I like him too. In fact I sent him a valentines card.

anagallis_arvensis

Cant hate Hartley, Kiwi’s are OK in my book! Anyway he may well be being coached not to Hook but to drive.

ads678

Just for the Tom Youngs haters out there, I’ve been trying to find some stats about his throwing only thing I could get was some opta stuff tweeted just before the 6 nations started.

Posted Feb 12 by @OptaJonny: 92% – Youngs has a lineout success rate of 92% (103/112) in @premrugby this season, compared to 89% for Hartley (93/105).

Also posted by @OptaJonny, this time Jan 9: 91% – Tom Youngs has thrown the most successful lineouts in the league & Europe this season, at a better success rate than the top 10.

The next tweet says that Hartley’s was 88% at the same stage.

I got this from someone on the tigers forum but i reckon it show’s he’s actually as bad as people are making out.

Oh and yes I am a Leicester fan, so probably a bit on eyed 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

One eyed Leicester fan, come on pull the other one 😉

ads678

Maybe we should change our mascot to be a bit pudsey-esq in future!!

tinybits
    Free Member

sadly though, despite his ability to find his man at Leicester, he’s seemingly unable to do so for England at the moment. Didn’t do too badly in the summer while the kiwi biter was banned for abusing a ref though…

DanW
    Free Member

Gatland and Hartley….

Two kiwis who hate [to] Hook 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Oh the irony of the Welsh complaining about the refereeing of the scrum … you can’t have Walsh every week you know

duckman

Good point Jambalaya; but just for balance,can we have also have five pages in the thread dedicated to it,as we did last year? Lots of Welsh complaining about how Poite has always hated them…Over to you AA!
    I am also still waiting for it to be mentioned on the front page of the times sports section as it was last year…

anagallis_arvensis

The problem is the welsh had the edge in the scrum in both games and had the shove on England. I dont think people are moaning anyway as I said earlier the welsh tactic of dropping the ball every time the were on attack had a far bigger impact on the game. Its called discussion we could just not bother talking about the rugby and talk about ……… Er……

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Don’t claim to be any type of expert, but the was the Welsh habit of dropping the ball actually the fault of the Welsh players, or was it the speed & aggressiveness of the English defence?
    Before the game there was much talk about hitting the Welsh hard in defence as the Irish had done because that Wales/Ireland game had shown up deficiencies in the Welsh attack when countered with fast, hard hits.

Pigface
    Free Member

99% fault of Welsh players the other 1% down to weather conditions, slippery ball etc etc

Next question 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Who knows a bit of both, Wales are a very predictable to defend against but when they get it right and gain momentum it doesnt matter. At times the other day it was done badly as waled were going round the corner and england had more defenders than wales had attackers. Another common move is the 9 making a dart and then passing direct to Roberts. Webb didnt really get the timing right and Roberts always had
    several defenders on him. Phillips times this much better and will just keep hold himself if its not on.
    The welsh tactic of kicking long and inviting Nowel and May to run it back worked well though the bigger welsh backs out rucked them and it gained at least three pens.

anagallis_arvensis

Fickou to start in place of Memoz v ireland. Tales at 10 and Picamole back at 8. Shambles, how is Fat Basteraud still getting picked. I thought Memoz was solid last week.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Biggar and Spikey look like starting, apparently.

More to follow!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shambles

They will still win. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wales backs:
    Liam Williams, Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North, Dan Biggar, Mike Phillips

Wales forwards:
    Jenkins,Owens, Rhodri Jones, Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones, Lydiate, Warburton (Capt) Faletau

anagallis_arvensis

You are joking Scarlets third choice loosehead starting at tighthead, whilst the young first choice scarlets tighthead cannot get in the squad! **** hell. Williams is shite too would much prefer Hook at 15 (where he plays most of his rugby these days).

anagallis_arvensis

Replacements: Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Paul James (Bath Rugby), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Rhodri Williams (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), James Hook (Perpignan).

Strong bench but only because all the shite is starting!!

charliemort

France may well win……. Remember World Cup . Shocking all the way through but nearly won it

Very positive for England I think: 3 good loose heads, 2 decent tight heads, 2 hookers (except tom youngs throwing), great second row, 2 good 8’s, backs coming together, and quite a few out injured

LNcaster I think takes a lot of credit – got them playing pretty fearlessly, very aggressive, “will fight you for a scrap of bread” (nz herald) – very un English. Given some players a run when they could have been dumped (Farrell, 12 trees, marler) which is starting to pay off; seems to have tamed the nutters (Hartley (well almost), lawes, care) and found some good uns (Burrell, launchbury)

Few less penalties and few more converted chances would be handy

Then we’ll lose to Italy ….

anagallis_arvensis

France may well win……. Remember World Cup . Shocking all the way through but nearly won it

I’ve been trying to forget!

DanW
    Free Member

I have no interest in France winning unless they put a solid 40 points or so on Ireland and Italy can keep England within reach. Hmmm…. doesn’t sound likely but it would be pretty funny for them to swoop in and steal the 6N after such shocking performances and the squabbling between the home nations here 😀 Sadly, it isn’t unthinkable for the French to mess everything up and inadvertently help out the English 😕 Come on Ireland! Pressure could really be on them as the last game of the weekend…. Ireland are great under pressure…. right???

Viewing 40 posts - 3,201 through 3,240 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.