Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • duckman

Not really because the Welsh clubs that join the Prem will be the “new” clubs. They still have the issues of being competitive,or being relegated. Even if the Welsh Nigel Wray stepped forward,Sale were a good example of how you cannot buy a place in the League. And any of the new clubs that goes down will make the rabo seem exotic; Cardiff v Ding Crusaders anybody? Still, another two weeks and it will all be clearer as do they not have untill the new year to sign?
    As much as I think the Welsh would be screwed in England,I know the Rabo is screwed as well. If money wasn’t a factor and it was purely about growing the game and improving crowds and entertainment,we could have a two tier British league of 14 and 16 teams,any team promoted to the second has a years grace from relegation to allow them the chance to adjust. TBH that would probably save the rugby in my country as well because despite Glasgow’s crowds being up,the rabo is rubbish and isn’t a draw.

wrecker
    Free Member

Not really because the Welsh clubs that join the Prem will be the “new” clubs.

They will still have their contracts in place with the players though.

Oh and it’s Dings Crusaders, and I’ve played them many times. Nearly drowned on their pitch once! They reside in a less than affluent area of Bristol and do very well on the pitch considering they have a fraction of the money than the toffy nosed pricks at Clifton.

duckman

Point remains that the Welsh clubs/regions etc are not joining the English to play in the less desireable areas of Bristol.And also,how well are those contracted players doing in the Rabo? Contracts work both ways,if they wanted to compete or survive they would need to improve their squads, you have to pay up the players you want rid off,a huge cost. And who do you replace them with?

wrecker
    Free Member

They don’t have a choice. The WRU has taken them to the vets and the needle is out. They try and escape or it’s going in.

duckman

Which would make the Prem the dogs trust… 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Which would make the Prem the dogs trust…

I happen to like the dogs trust. Hang on. What just happened?

anagallis_arvensis

If the welsh regions jumped ship and I am confident they wont they would survive. Christ London Welsh had a few worried until they were docked points. They make the Ospreys look like the Galacticos they once were.

jambalaya
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    If the welsh regions jumped ship and I am confident they wont they would survive.

Have you been on the sauce already ?

anagallis_arvensis

Just throw in a few commas and go about trying to find your life

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Sale 3 tries to nowt against oyonnax so far..

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Sorry, 4 tries. 34-0 at half time
    Gaskell scores the first try, Cipriani the second,Braid the third and Cueto the 4th. Cipriani hits all his goals.

Can the 2nd half be better?

Albanach
    Free Member

Can our resident referee tell me why Harley was done for obstruction when he removed Patchell from ruck area preceding the score? Not sure of this…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Bugger me backwards.
    Sale 53-14 Oyonnax. 7 tries to sale, 2 to Oyonnax. Cipriani misses one kick all night.
    Why oh why did i decide to skip this game?

duckman

Not seen it,it’s all BT in my house now,wife is Welsh and we are trying to do our bit for the Blues finances next season.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I could only afford one game before Xmas so plumped for the LI game next week – bloody regretting it now! Apparently Cipriani scored a potential try of the season .

anagallis_arvensis

[video]http://youtu.be/pf-VbiWRNWk[/video]

Pigface
    Free Member

Who were Sale playing? Wouldn’t get to excited about a big score against a team no one has heard of or pronounce 😆

Ospreys a good win, too little to late.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Oyonnax, no id not heard much about them before either but a 9 try game is still a good one to watch.

anagallis_arvensis

great start from Scarlets 😥

DanW
    Free Member

Cheers for the Scarlets heads up a_a. They were really outgunned the other week by Clermont… but a great try for the Scarlets!

That Rhys Patchell kick was bloomin’ impressive, in to the wind too 😯

Jordan Williams got one over from about 55-60m against Clermont with tons of distance to spare too. I hadn’t seen him kick before but it was quite a feat from someone not normally associated with kicking

anagallis_arvensis

Anyone see the Leinster northampton game and able to report on how North went at 13? He could be a real threat there for wales in the future.

Pigface
    Free Member

Big results today, don’t know what is going wrong at Glaws.

duckman

Talented backs are no use if they get cold hands Pigface,they are also no use if you make them play up front( that is what Glaws have done this season isn’t it?)Don’t know what they are doing up front,Hamilton said in an interview they didn’t offer him a contract,which is daft looking at where they are getting beaten this year.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Anyone see the Leinster northampton game and able to report on how North went at 13? He could be a real threat there for wales in the future.

Well the Irish press reckon he outplayed BOD so he must have done well

‘Even Brian O’Driscoll, majestic in Franklin’s Gardens, was rendered a humdrum figure on his home turf, outplayed by George North, the giant Welshman shifting to midfield after the away side were also forced into a late reshuffle.’

full article here:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/reality-check-sees-inept-leinster-get-what-they-deserve-29840900.html

Pigface
    Free Member

From all accounts Glaws had dominance in the forwards but were wasteful, my mate who was there said it was awful.

Hibbard is on his way there next season.

anagallis_arvensis

Wales centre better than BOD! Burn Gatland!

anagallis_arvensis

Afoa and Hibbard should bulk up the front row!

duckman

I was at the weedgie game and it was the same, 4 knock-ons from Glasgow in first 5 mins. Cardiff were short of most of a team for some reason,yet we couldn’t beat them. The assault case is really getting inside the Glasgow teams mentality.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@muddy – don’t mean to be a grump but 53-17 is a boring match.

I watched Toulon/Exeter and Perpignan/Munster, latter was quite dull till last 10 mins but what a finish. Of those teams none of them looked likely HC winners on current form.

Toulon’s president stated they wouldn’t sign Warburton as he wanted too much money but they are after Halfpenny, makes sense with JW to retire and Giteau is playing very well. Toulon/Warburton/Halfpenny

duckman

Saint Wilks has been offered another year. What on earth was Warburton asking for if Toulon couldn’t afford him? Reading over his demands “Sacre Bleau! It says here that he wants his wages in exotic spices,delivered by Golden Unicorn twice daily!”

jambalaya
    Free Member

What on earth was Warburton asking for if Toulon couldn’t afford him?

Toulon have invested a lot in their squad already, the president doesn’t have an endless supply of money, typically the French clubs spend money on play makers, big money for a forward ? Warburton’s a fabulous player but I can see why Toulon would prefer Halfpenny. I think they are chasing Rory Kockott too, the Castres scrum half you had a big part in beating them in the Top 14 final.

duckman

the president doesn’t have an endless supply of money

He has said the club are self sufficent…he is also worth 50million,so he DOES have an endless supply of money 😀
    Take your point about playmakers mind, Halfpenny is a better player anyway.

Scamper
    Free Member

As noted above, with Burns probably off, Hibbard to Glaws – a great signing. After our cup final against Worcester on Sunday, hopefully a win means they can then start planning for next season. Its not lost on me that Dean Ryan’s last home game in charge at Glaws was a loss to Worcester.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Gatland confirmed Wales coach until 2019. Interesting to extend to 2 more World cups at this stage, if they cannot beat Australia the 2015 one might end at the pool stage.

anagallis_arvensis
    Pigface
    Free Member

Full back Armitage given up on england.

anagallis_arvensis

Shame, he’s an utter bell end but a very good player.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@aa – I was watching the video for a late hit on a half back ! As the article says its the look of disbelief which is incredible. He’s still on TV ads in France even though he’s in the lower league, seems to be as popular there as he was in the UK.

I thought Armitage had given up on England when he went to Toulon. He seems to have lost his place to the Aussie (sorry I’m terrible with names) and if h/p goes there he’s going to have to find a new position or club. Hard to see how he’d be selected ahead of Brown or Goode for example for England anyway.

wrecker
    Free Member

Goode? GOODE?
    Foden is current second choice, and I think Watson will/should be in sooner rather than later.

duckman

AA Chabal slapped him,shame how the mighty have fallen

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.