Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • beiciwr64
    Free Member

duckman

I still can’t help but feel that this is still a power play by EPL

Regions could be jumping from the frying pan in to the fire?
    Those dastardly English! 😆

Gwyn Jones take on things

wrecker
    Free Member

That article is 99% bollocks.

duckman

Err yes,gets Scotland and ireland and the welsh RFU to jump to the English tune. Still haven’t seen anything about who is going to play for the new welsh teams,or how they propose to stay IN the prem,other than AA stating that some backers would come forward…

Love that article,800 years of oppression,makes jiffy look balanced…and AA.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ummm, the new teams won’t be in the prem, the old ones will.
    The new teams will be staring from scratch and if the WRU doesn’t increase the funding they’ll have exactly the same problems that the existing regions are having.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

The wru see the regions as financially and commercially inept. this is the main reason for not increasing the funds.

They have money to invest and i wouldn’t be surprised to see considerably better funding made available for new regions under their own control,this is the key!

Probably be difficult time for the teams over the next few years, would likely be a mix of youngsters and overseas talent and experience while the pool of welsh players with international ambitions trickles back from the rebel regions.

Roger Lewis is buisness man and his main focus is the WRU making profit so it makes sense to let the regions go if they are bad for buisness.
    I don’t think he gives a hwt about 150 years of rugby tradition.

Pigface
    Free Member

Not Not’s got new owners, wonder if they will stay at the Jetski?

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Passenger reserve list maybe? 🙂

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Meeting over! Nothing resolved 🙁
    More talk needed on Anglo-Welsh.
    Union same money on the table.

Probably turn into a bit of a soap opera!

anagallis_arvensis

London irish get new backers from ireland…is it just me wondering if that could be a way of getting the irish a route in too.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Waiting for the Rabo bus? makes sense to me!

duckman

Bearing in mind that Irish were born when their owner bought Scottish and Richmond just to stay in prem(used to have both badges on part of jumper tucked in and were the exiles for about 5 mins while they hoped to capture the LS support) l can’t see it. How do you transplant Munster/ulster/leinster’s heritage into a fake team?

anagallis_arvensis

Same way Ospreys are not Neath or Swansea, you dont. But if the welsh jump ship irish domestic rugby is rubber ducked.

DanW
    Free Member

But if the welsh jump ship irish domestic rugby is rubber ducked

It needed necessarily be, since the Irish provinces still manage to do pretty damn well in Europe despite a reasonably weak Rabo league. So long as there is a strong European competition they might not take much of a hit.

The strength of the Irish clubs over the Welsh seemed to be the ability to afford a decent selection of overseas internationals and a strong overall squad (rather than just a strong team) with the extra tax breaks and ticket sales (these could drop off though). Ironically it might even give more scope to develop Irish players in the Rabo and maintain Euro success if they can keep hold of the top level overseas guys that really add to the squad. Just a thought…. probably an over-optimistic thought though!

duckman

I think your glass is half full Dan.
    Irish already play weaker teams in the Rabo,they also have a long embedded district/province set up that fans identify with eg; Landsdowne players aspire to play for Leinster and the province players all still id with their club. There isn’t as strong a comp this coming year as the English clubs are out, which if the Welsh join them,they would have to be as well,and then their would begin the Welsh domination of the Amlin,as none of them would qualify for European cup in the Premiership,esp under the way the English want it allocated. Oh hang on,unless 4 Welsh multi millionaires turned up and the French returned 75% of the national squad. So while I agree with A-A’s assertion about domestic rugby (for us as well) I think it would only be a stay of execution for the Welsh.

DanW
    Free Member

Fair enough, it’s not often I get accused of being optimistic 😀

Quite alarming really how the outcome of the Euro competition format potentially hits all leagues below and potentially affects player selection during internationals above it and shakes (or messes) up the game as a whole in the NH. I can understand all of the Welsh troubles, but it seems odd that it is the PRL causing most of the noise when actually they are the one with the biggest club budgets and greatest league stability

anagallis_arvensis

4 Welsh multi millionaires turned up

Cuddy? Peter Pies? Before it became apparent that the domestic competitions in Wales were shit and no fans were interested the welsh regions did have a fair wack of money. Given a fan base the backers may well return. They dont need all the team wales players to return to be competitive, they just need some modern day, MArty Holahs, Regan Kings, Terblanche, Filo Tiatia

Pigface
    Free Member

Matthews from Celtic Manor was meant to be putting mega bucks into the Dragons but it didnt happen. Brown was there sugardaddy and brought the like of Percy Montgomery to Newport.

anagallis_arvensis

why would anyone have put money in when it became apparent the fans didnt care?

Pigface
    Free Member

Come on AA fans do care don’t know how long it has been since you lived in Wales but in Swansea Ospreys were well liked, problem is as you say rubbish games that mean sod all, Zebre on a freezing night for £30 no thanks.

Big games like Leicester in HC had about 16000 and the place was buzzing.

anagallis_arvensis

Come on AA fans do care don’t know how long it has been since you lived in Wales but in Swansea Ospreys were well liked, problem is as you say rubbish games that mean sod all, Zebre on a freezing night for £30 no thanks.

yep thats what I was trying to say, poor choice of words.

We both know nothing will change though, right?

anagallis_arvensis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25333763

this for example wouldnt happen in wales

Pigface
    Free Member

We both know nothing will change though, right?[/quote

History says you are right but something has to give soon. Shirley it does. I am forever the optimist 😀

duckman

So the fans do/don’t care, all they need is for them to have some fans/they already do and the backers will turn up.One of you must be wrong. I can also kind of see why a team that belongs in London might be a slightly more attractive attraction that say…

tinybits
    Free Member

Pigface – Member

Now that shows the problem. Leicester get 20000 to a crappy home game, and fill the stadium for every big team (24000). They make a profit, but not by a huge amount (OK, 2012 they didn’t but were paying for a new stand in the accounts to take it from 18k to 24k seats). To really stand on your own feet, you need the fanbase to keep the income rolling in.
    That’s not to say I wouldn’t love the welsh to be in the AP, I used to love the old Tigers LLLLLLanelllllli matches, with that monster black forward and No8 (names are really escaping me today!) they had.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ducks stop being disingenuous read what AA said.

anagallis_arvensis

So the fans do/don’t care, all they need is for them to have some fans/they already do and the backers will turn up.One of you must be wrong. I can also kind of see why a team that belongs in London might be a slightly more attractive attraction that say…

why must one of us be wrong? The rabo is shit and people dont want to watch it thats the reason a number of backers walked away from the regions. If the product is right the fans will return and maybe backers will too.. The teams still get decent crowds for the derbies but last year half of them didnt see the best players play just to suit team wales.

Quinnel and Madden?

Pigface
    Free Member

Oxford scrum half sent off during Varsity match, now come on chaps that’s just not on 😆

duckman

Pigface,what exactly has he said? So far we have had claims that BT would fund the expansion of the EPL to fund the welsh teams,no answers as to who will play for them,WHY anybody would sign for them or any realization that they are All angel delight as well. Or do they just not try because they don’t enjoy the rabo? Also speculation that backers,during a recession are going to buy into a welsh club side which has a future that can best be termed as “fluid.” Welsh sides could not compete in the prem just now. If you expand the prem to include the welsh,even allowing for the English backlash,the welsh share would be less than the current salary cap. BThave already stated that their contract allows them to screen x amount of games a year and doesn’t have to be renegotiated depending on the size of the league;so again,how do they fund it,who plays for them and how do you convince the ambitious clubs in england to support them above their own ambitions?

Pigface
    Free Member

Ducks I was specifically referring to his reply to me, can’t be bothered to read and remember all that has been said before. I apologise if you got the wrong end of the stick.

anagallis_arvensis

Duckman, do you really believe the ospreys couldnt beat the likes of sale, newcastle or Worcester home and away?

anagallis_arvensis

Oh and a future best termed as fluid is a massive step up from a future best termed as ****.

tinybits
    Free Member

Quinnel and Madden?

Thats them. Utter animals, they never, ever failed to get over the gain line (normally a LONG way over!)

Pigface
    Free Member

Madden was so frustrating really talented player but a lazy sod apparently, his center of gravity was so low you couldn’t knock him over 😆 he just kept rumbling along.

duckman

AA;based on this season with less experienced players,the only thing you would have to look forward to would more meaningful derby matches. Honestly,do you think you can sustain 3 teams in the prem. What happens to the teams that go down,more than one season in the championship equals a financial disaster and would cost what would be expected to be a source of international players experience. In fact dont you think relegation would put them into a worse hole than they are now? Can you really claim that patchwork teams dropped into the prem would beat anybody,oh and the squad that the ospreys have is 5 the in the rabo,how will they improve this?

anagallis_arvensis

I dont believe the current situation is sustainable. I have said it for a long time now. Domestic pro rugby in wales will be dead within a few years if nothing changes. Playing glasgow, munster and zebre is not box office, we see very little home support and almost no away support, maybe we should follow the scots example and cut to two pro teams as thats really working isnt it? The cause of the problems start and end with the rabo being shit. Joining the english may not be the answer but staying as is isnt either.

anagallis_arvensis

Nothing will change anyway and the game will.whither and die

duckman

So what is the solution? Rugby is finished in Scotland anyway,no matter what happens to the RABO.Is it a case that there will be a top tier comprising of England,France,Saffers NZ and Oz and a second tier of the rest of the home nations? With club contests to match. Can’t believe the EPL wouldn’t love to flip off the RFU and clear off to Summer rugby with the super how-ever-many.

wrecker
    Free Member

Look at it from the existing regions point of view; they were set up by the WRU. The WRU has failed (whichever way you look at it) to fund them adequately making them the poorest (in financial terms) teams in the RABO. The deal currently on the table is worse than their last deal.
    What are they to do? The WRU wants them to die; should they just accept it and go away? The owners of the regions (Peter Thomas et al) must have invested money, is it right that the WRU expect them to just wave bye bye to that?
    Staying in the RABO is simply not an option for them; they’d be bankrupt in short order, so they go looking for other opportunities. Not to try would be bad business. This is about survival.

duckman

If “they” are formed by the WRU, how much say have the regions got? They loose all contracted players and I can’t see how they would be better off,speculation about crowd increases is all very well as is backers,but it takes 10 years to fund and build a team,and the Welsh clubs need more than a business plan. How long does it take to grow a competitive squad without money, a decade imo; Glasgow are an example of that,they were hamstrung by the SRU being unwilling to spend,now the SRU is spending they are at the right end.Is it not the case that the WRU have reduced their budget as they are unwilling to sustain losses?
    There is a piece in the Times about the Irish guys who have bought the Reading wannabies, they are London based and are cautioning that they will not be spending big.I think that might be the end of speculation about them being an Irish trojan horse.

wrecker
    Free Member

The WRU formed them, but Blues aside they are privately owned clubs (much like those in the AP). Their players are theirs. Wales don’t have any central contracts at present.
    All of your concerns apply to the proposed “new” welsh clubs more than they do to the existing ones whether thay join the AP or not.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.