Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • 2013 STW Birmingham Urban MTB
  • winch
    Free Member

It’s about time we got our act together and went for another ride. For those as yet unindoctrinated, the general idea is a group ride taking in the sights and sounds of Birmingham, picking a route through the city that inevitably includes steps, stairs, ramps and perhaps a multi-story car park before we find our way back to a pub for an evening pint.

I’m proposing we stay with the established tradition of a Thursday night. Specifically…

7.30pm, 1st of August at the Bullring Bull.
    Everyone is welcome, those that have not been before even more so.

Winch (formerly known as swingbing)

P.S. A little taste of what to expect:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6unaGbrAQvM[/video]

timc
    Free Member

hope your ready…

I_Ache
    Free Member

That’s the first time anybody has posted a vid of mine.

I’m in. Although 7:30 might be a stretch but if you still have the same mobile number I will let you know.
    We should have plenty of light available to make use of the map you set up.

rOcKeTdOg

Will u be blasting the closed tunnels?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Taking in the sights and sounds? 😀

Now where is that Telly Savalas video promoting Birmingham..

winch
    Free Member
    jekkyl

loving the multi storey, I’ll have to try that. You guys are like the BMX kids!!

patriotpro
    Free Member

What psi for car-park lifts?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think car park 4x will be better this time as they will be quieter so we can go faster.

Anyone fancy the canal steps at Birmingham Uni?

composite
    Free Member

The urban blast that the artist formally known as swingbin and I did was good fun but I think I’m doomed to never be able to make it to the main group ride. I’ll be in Cornwall on the 1st so can’t make it… again. 🙁

winch
    Free Member

Next time composite, next time…

Canal Steps you say. I’m currently between suspension forks, so will be running rigids. Its going to make all these steps ‘interesting’.

19.5 psi.

lunge

Damn, I am away that date otherwise I would have been straight there. Please, please let’s do another one towards the end of August as I want to play!

st

I was expecting stair gaps outside the library and wot not, is it just a night of bunny hopping tramps in car parks?

winch
    Free Member

Come and show us how stair gaps are done then st…

winch
    Free Member

Since a few people already can’t do the 1st, let’s open it to a vote.

Click here to vote for your choice of dates!

lunge

ST, bear in mind this is STW so whilst most of us talk the talk we are in fact fat, under skilled office workers. Last time we went out it was the kind of riding I used to do as a kid, blasting around town, jumping off steps and trying not to falloff in front of your mates. Frankly, it was bloody brilliant.

dibboid
    Free Member

So is it going to be like this?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIe6hYAdw_I[/video]

what tyres for stairs? Should I go 650b? 😀

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ll be skateboarding I’m afraid…

winch
    Free Member

You choose a skateboard over a Rocket?!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would love it to be like that DH video above but sadly Birmingham doesn’t quite have that much elevation.

takisawa2

Now, this looks like a laugh…

passtherizla
    Free Member

winch – Member
    You choose a skateboard over a Rocket?!

every time.

Thursday is my night at the mini ramp I have keys to… Having an entire ramp for 4 or 5 of you to skate is pure luxury. cut me I bleed griptape 😉

st

Winch, In fairness I’m not the one advertising an urban ride;o) there at least needs to be bombing through the Mailbox getting chased by security!

I am tempted although I’m supposed to be enjoying the delights of Broad Street on 1st but will see.

Lunge, I know that really… I’ve not done it since I had a part time job at On Your Bike (the old one) back in the late 90’s, I remember min ing around jumping off pairs of steps thinking it was ace, some dodgy trialsy riding then out on the towpath to the old BMX track at Perry Barr. Ace times.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Bombing through the Mailbox and riding the escalators was an idea that as far as I know nobody has had the bottle to try. I would be well up for it but I’m not going to be the one to instigate it.

winch
    Free Member

…the old BMX track at Perry bar is no more.

The new one would make a good day out though and is something we should organise I reckon.

passtherizla
    Free Member

new perry barr track is nuts.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Perry Barr BMX is fantastic but much more tiring than I ever imagined.

st

L ache, go on, you know you want too and yes it was a real shame when the bmx track fell I to disrepair. I used to live 5 minutes up the road and spent a fair bit of time watching the racing there way back. Had a great time last year watching the Euro champs there, it looks ace and defiantly too much for me.

jamj1974

st – Member
    Lunge, I know that really… I’ve not done it since I had a part time job at On Your Bike (the old one) back in the late 90’s, I remember min ing around jumping off pairs of steps thinking it was ace, some dodgy trialsy riding then out on the towpath to the old BMX track at Perry Barr. Ace times.

‘ST’? Is that you Stuart? If so they were ace times! Bones, Little Ian, Steve Large etc…

Jay

mattk
    Free Member

Will u be blasting the closed tunnels?

Sweet, I’m up for that. Count me in

winch
    Free Member

Don’t forget to vote for the date if you haven’t yet.

Urban Ride Vote

jamj1974

I’ll wait and see what the preference is and join that if that is ok Winch?

winch
    Free Member

Yeah, of course.

st

Jay, yes that’s me :o)

dibboid
    Free Member

I’ve voted as I’m tempted. Sounds like a laugh. And the Thursday suits me as I don’t have work on Friday so no 3am starts next day. Ftw!

scruff
    Free Member

Stu can flatten the library on his Panzer before the demolition crews start.

st

Tru-dat etc.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m in. Only in Tamworth so not far to travel.

Can do any of the dates too.

jekkyl

lol @

this is STW so whilst most of us talk the talk we are in fact fat, under skilled office workers.

spot on lunge.

ndg
    Free Member

I’d be up for this again. I’ll put a post on the Godiva club forum when dates are confirmed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘2013 STW Birmingham Urban MTB’ is closed to new replies.