Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • What bib shorts around £60?
  • MoreCashThanDash

As per title – got some extra late birthday money, need to use it to replace some threadbare shorts

What does the panel recommend?

jd77
    Free Member

The howies bibs are good,and pretty much bang on budget. DHB are good also

househusband

Have just this minute placed my order for a second pair of the Howies shorts. They just fit me perfectly, don’t ride up yet don’t have leg grippers – I can find them irritating/constricting at times.

DT78
    Free Member

Gore contest

brakes
    Free Member

dhb?
    though I have nothing to compare them to, I find them very comfortable.
    did 7 hours in them on Monday without problem.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I bought some Scott Pro bibs from Start Cycles for forty quid down from one hundred quid and they’re mega comfy especially for the money.

MrGreedy

Yup, another vote for the dhb Aeron bibs – just ordered another pair yesterday. The pad is absolutely excellent. Worth noting that they seem to size up a bit large (in my experience anyway).

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks for the advice guys

I have the dhb Aeron 3/4s and was about to order a pair of the shorts when I discovered that as a Gold member on Wiggle I got 10% off the Howies shorts, so I’m having a punt on them and will report back!

edhornby

whatever prendas have in your size, santini bibs are the puppies

househusband

…I discovered that as a Gold member on Wiggle I got 10% off the Howies shorts…

#slaps forehead#

Just got the email saying that Howies have posted them; could’ve saved myself 5% at Wiggle!

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat, thinking I’m going to go for dhb Aeron Pro – seem to be universally well regarded.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Couldn’t bring myself to spring the £stupidprice to replace my Assos bibshorts so have just had a punt on some DHB aeron pros.

First ride this morning they seem just the job. I particularly like the longish leg (not a big fan of the hotpants look).

messiah
    Free Member

Lusso Gel Bib shorts are the best I have used and are about that price (or cheaper at Ribble).

Made in the UK if thats important to you 😉

BadlyWiredDog

+1 for the DHB Aeron Pros. Great value, pad is nicely unbulky but just works. Did the Whitton in them a few weeks back and my backside was just about the only part of my anatomy I didn’t worry about. I find gel pads get a bit sweaty.

zilog6128

I use regular Aeron (under baggies) for commuting everyday, they are fine. I have Aeron Pro for “best” on the road bike, very comfy (done 3-5 hr rides) and look quite smart too. As noted above they are long in the leg (sit just above the knee on me) which I like.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Excellent, I was weighing it up and saw a chap wearing some on the commute home the other day. They looked as good as I’d heard they’re supposed to be so will definitely get some.

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    GrahamS

-1 for the dhb Aeron Pros. 🙁

I didn’t like them. The pad was very nice, but the shorts themselves were pretty low quality (IMO). Cheap feeling material with bad stitching, already pulling in places when I got them, and an annoying itchy non-flat seam down the back.

I sent them back and got a pair of Endura FS260 Pro bib shorts which have a thick comfortable pad and seem far better made:

http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=128&prod_id=63
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/shorts/lycra/product/review-endura-fs260-pro-ii-bib-shorts-13-47217

£62 on CRC, so just on budget for the OP.

c_klein87

Had 3 pairs of Morvelo shorts, all been very good, musta done 3k miles in one of the pairs and they seem ok still, newest pair are the comfiest but i think they are more expensive now

theflatboy
    Free Member

Interesting, I’ve just pushed the button on DHBs, have been put off Endura for ever on the basis of the terrible 3/4s I got to replace the previous, seemingly indestructible Endura 3/4s that preceded them…

I’ll see what the DHBs are like when they arrive, hopefully decent!

theflatboy
    Free Member

The only indecision involved was the black/black or black/red option. In the end I failed and went for both, with a view to sending one pair back once I see them in the cloth…

Crell
    Free Member

Morvelo bibs (unlike their jerseys) are really good quality, with a nice pad.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

My DHB regulars are starting to show some wear. Bit disappointed as they’ve only been going 4 weeks.

Missus has a pair that needs to be sent back because they’re falling apart at the seams.

Have some Sportfuls that fit really nicely and the pad is incredible, but they cost quite a bit more.

Probably will stick to using the DHBs for commuting until they die. Surprisingly, I preferred the pad on the cheaper one to the Aeron Pros for mountain biking.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Was going to recommend Exteondo as a good option as i got a couple of pairs for about £60 each last year, unfortunately they only seem to be available at RRP at the moment.

Used to really like dhb shorts as a budget option but the recent ones arent up to much – the lycra is sort of shiny and goes see through very quickly. Pad at the front is very thin which is a bit of an issue if you have an head down arse up position on the bike.

Burts
    Free Member

Right, time to ask a stupid question: why bibs? What’s the advantage over lycra shorts? I haven’t tried bibs and at the moment I’m failing to see the advantages over regular lycra shorts, so what am I missing?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had quite a few pairs (Santini, Rapha, Gore, dhb) but my favourite currently are the Endura FS260. Surprising really as I’ve had quite a bit of Endura kit that’s been pretty poor.

Edit: why they better? They seem to fit better. Better coverage up your back. Also don’t seem to get that sweaty waist you get with non-bib shorts. Sure someone will be along soon to give the correct answer 🙂

Double edit: maybe it is a back thing as I wear them all the time on the road but don’t really bother when on the mtb (other than racing.) So it may be a position thing on the bike.

fubar
    Free Member

why bibs?

better for freddie mercury strutting especially around the urinals where you have to half undress to have a pee

In the summer I don’t really want the extra material of the bibs on my upper body (fine in winter) but I guess they don’t squeeze you so much near the stomach (?)

GrahamS

Right, time to ask a stupid question: why bibs?

More comfortable, keep lumbar warm, don’t dig into the beer belly.

Speeder

Comfort – I’d imagine. It’s been a long time since I wore a pair of lycra shorts and I remember feeling like I was going to be cut in half. I don’t get that with any of my bibs.

GrahamS

you have to half undress to have a pee

You’re doing it wrong 🙂

Most bibs are stretchy enough to just pull down at the front.

theflatboy
    Free Member

With bib shorts, the preferred relieving technique has to be to pop the old chap out the bottom of one leg (obviously after rolling the leg up half an inch or so). I only go for the pulling the front down option in 3/4s or tights, as I can’t quite make it to the bottom of the legs of those.

GrahamS

Either you are endowed like stallion or you shorts are considerably shorter than mine! 😯

cp

I’m off DHB now as too many poorly made/lasting pairs – stitching coming off, holes worn, and pads becoming very tired very quickly. The fit doesn’t seem that great either – maybe OK if you have a bit of a gut.

Endura have been great for me, as have Ridebosh tights (lovely pad!) and the ZipVit shorts – these are a super bargain, esp. if they have sale on them. Even if not, they are worth double what they sell them for.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ok, well I’m not too bad on the gut front. Will have to see how they look snd fit when they arrive, as I made the mistake of not sending back the Endura 3/4s mentioned above and regretted it within days. Will be more discerning this time!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Another DHB hater here – very poor quality fabric, stitching all came undone… Utter rubbish.

My favourites are Castelli – you really don’t know you’re wearing them, they’re so comfortable. The fabric is lovely and soft, seems to stretch more than others, and the “Kiss” pad is excellent – it feels really thin at the edges but has padding in just the right places.

Other than that, I like the Endura FS260s above, I use their shorts and bib knicks, and the quality is excellent. The pad feels a bit bulky off the bike but it’s comfortable.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Oh for goodness sake – everyone has always replied that DHB are amazing, up until the point I actually buy some and now look! 😆

GrahamS

Wouldn’t say I hate DHB by the way.

I quite like my Vaeon Roubaix 3/4s bibs. They got me through a winter of commuting: good pad, warm, comfy and cheap.

But I just didn’t get on with the Aeron shorts.

YMMV. Be interested to see what you think.

Dyffers
    Free Member

Day 2 in the Aeron Pros today, and I’m still happy with them.

Pad isn’t as ‘hugging’ as my old Assos bibs, but better than some Endura / Northwave / Exteondo / Gore shorts I’ve had in the past.

We’ll see if they fall apart in the wash tonight.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘What bib shorts around £60?’ is closed to new replies.