• This topic has 126 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • 20 year wait
  • iainc

johndoh, I was concerned about this issue based on your previous posts, but I can happily say that a month into my A6 2.0TDi S Tronic I thankfully haven’t experienced any of this at all. If I let it stop/start on a roundabout while waiting it takes a second or so to start and move of, but if i don’t let it stop, by not pushing hard on brake, it is instant. I came from a manual 5 series so wasn’t sure what to expect right enough.

johndoh
    Free Member

But I have said previously (on that thread IIRC) I didn’t get the same experience when I drove a 2.0 A5 recently so I think it is car specific (ie, the mapping of the gearbox differs on the 2.0 compared to the 3.0).

Don’t get me wrong, it is lovely to drive all the rest of the time – it just gets an annoying lag on initial acceleration. Some people seem able to live with it but in 4 years I haven’t.

convert

Macan

Oh, how disappointing. That’s not a 20 year itch scratched. That’s a 20 year itched gobbed at and roughly wiped down by some flubbery bearded lady masseuse. It’s hardly releasing your inner James Dean or Gordon Gecko.

Stalks off to contemplate my own midlife crisis and doing it right.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, it is lovely to drive all the rest of the time – it just gets an annoying lag on initial acceleration. Some people seem able to live with it but in 4 years I haven’t.

Is it the “rolling in 2nd then pausing to downshift to 1st when you step on it” thing or the “bogging down revs too low for turbo” thing?

Mine used to do the latter if I tried to floor it, but then I reset the clutch adaptation values and now it’s fine.

But we digress.

ransos
    Free Member

I always wanted to be able to fart louder than any of my mates. Its taken a lot of practice, dedication and commitment, but I like to think it was worth all the years of effort

My daughter’s school friend can hand-fart “Ode to Joy”. A level of talent and dedication that I will never attain.

johndoh
    Free Member

Is it the “rolling in 2nd then pausing to downshift to 1st when you step on it” thing or the “bogging down revs too low for turbo” thing?

Its when it is stationary (without Start/Stop activated) – if I try to pull out into traffic there is a delay before it takes off.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

plyphon – Member
    Fantastic achievement, well done. I too have a goal …

Hmmm, you’re not American are you?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice that the OP has managed to buy a car an’ all. But let’s keep this in perspective.

tonyg2003

SUV don’t really do it for me* but the Macan is meant to be (I’ve not driven one) one of the best out their. Still I can see why the OP is excited

*certainly not as a 20yr dream car

newrobdob
    Free Member

For the price you paid for the Mecan you could have bought a proper MPV/SUV and a proper (used) Porsche. Opportunity missed!!!

funkmasterp

My purchasing ambitions seem rather tame in comparison to the OP. Some day I’d like to own a nice Ti hardtail 😐

TiRed

Hope you enjoy it. I always wanted a car that was listed in the back of EVO magazine. Last year I acquired one. OK, it was just about the cheapest car listed (RS Twingo 133), and OK, I drive it about 50 miles a week in total, often with a bike in it, but you, know, it brings a smile to my face when it hits the rev limiter (every drive), and it reminds me of my late mother (who told be to buy a car and paid for it).

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted to try and eat a ‘double dozen’ crispy creme doughnuts.
    I’m still saving up.

iainc

But I have said previously (on that thread IIRC) I didn’t get the same experience when I drove a 2.0 A5 recently so I think it is car specific (ie, the mapping of the gearbox differs on the 2.0 compared to the 3.0).

, yes, you did, fair point 🙂

jamj1974

Tired. Big thumbs up.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I achieved my life goal in 2005 when i danced on a stage in an eastern European nightclub to the final countdown.

Everything since then has been icing.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

This is, pretty much, the only thing I have ever *REALLY* wanted.

Fallen into my 40s and I still haven’t managed it. Got as far as

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QoVvN9]The only leccy I have working just now![/url] by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

Keep your dreams small and reasonable 😉 Not that I can attain it anyway…

There is plenty of other stuff I have wanted, some of it I have managed to get… but a really nice Les Paul Standard alludes me. There is always something more pressing to spend the money on, and that money is always in very restrictive supply.

CountZero

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but it’s just a car. A nice car yeah, but just a car. Perhaps i’m a bit jaded, or maybe because i’m lucky enough to actually get paid to drive nice cars, but what i think people actually want when they say “I want a Ferrari” is the Ferrari lifestyle, ie the private jet, large house in Surrey, yacht in the Med, Supermodel wife etc. lifestyle to be able to afford to own and drive a Ferrari.
    Just having a Ferrari, but with a normal lifestyle is just like having a Golf, but a lot less practical…

I was talking to a bloke the other week who’d owned a car I’m particularly fond of, and would love to own, a Merc C63 AMG.
    He’d had it on a lease for two years, and it cost him 10k! £400/month, 17/gallon, £1000 for a set of tyres, he went through three sets, £250 for new pads and discs, fitted by himself…
    I can only dream of having the lifestyle to be able to run one…
    But I have actually driven one. I get paid to drive cars, lots of cars, some ordinary, some pretty disappointing, some hugely desirable, and so far I’m not jaded at all, I really enjoy my job.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just caught up with this and…….is disappointed it’s a diesel SUV too! Not quite what I had in mind, when you say ‘ A Porsche’.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@tony the Macan drive is pretty amazing, the active suspension is very clever. I have owned my Cayman for 10 years so pretty familiar with it and I think having driven the Macan it would be about as fast round a circuit in my hands.

Why a Macan, its a 4 door / 4 seat car. “SUVs” are where the sales are these days.

el_boufador

Can i just say, and i may get flamed: i find it quite odd, and in fact outdated, that the op feels so proud to have spent 20 years devoted to attaining an expensive looking object?

Each to their own and all that, but i really don’t get it.
    this urge to own/buy flashy stuff – lets to be honest to show off -is one of the most destructive and aspects of human nature.

Imo

brooess
    Free Member

I’d get really hacked off if I had a really nice, high-performace sports car in the UK – all that cash to get a superb bit of high-end engineering that can go like a turd off a shovel and then find myself spending so much time sitting in traffic jams which is the reality of UK driving now, and hoping not to get it scraped in the supermarket car park…

I’ve a mate living in abu dhabi who’s finally got himself a Dodge Charger – he’s wanted something like that for 15 years. Funnily, he doesn’t really care about it that much now he has it – it’s got a baby seat in the back for his daughter and all he really cares about now is his family… all that waiting and now he’s really not that fussed.

A mutual mate has the right idea – a Caterham – proper fun performance that you can actually get some fun out of on UK roads. Less of a fancy status symbol and more of a proper drivers car of course…

brooess
    Free Member

Each to their own and all that, but i really don’t get it.
    this urge to own/buy flashy stuff – lets to be honest to show off -is one of the most destructive and aspects of human nature.

Also, increasingly unfashionable in these days of increasingly inequality, environmental sensitivity and post-financial crisis debt angst.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

20 years ago exactly I dreamed/planned hiking and painting along the lengths of both the Severn Way and the SWCP. A total of 840 miles. A few months after 30th birthday disaster/disease struck and it’s been a tough 20 year process to get out of wheelchair and off crutches to now walk up to 3-4 miles a day, every day. Before incident I’d happily march 20-35 miles per day on long-weekends and walking vacations

With this progressive curve I predict another approximate 2 years of rehab/training at current rate to achieve 10 miles a day. This would see me taking about 28 months off to complete the walk.

This is a lot of forward planning/family negotiations and I’d have to figure in completing one (2-3hr) painting a day en-route to make it pay for itself. Backpacking with camping gear is out of the question but I’m damned if I’m not going to walk it, so planning to get/fashion a hand-cart for camping stuff. Stiles and gates challenge that option, yet needs must.

Part of me feels I should just give it up and aim for smaller, numerous goals as this stubborn will to see it through perhaps puts me in some kind of silly perma-mid-life-crisis. Maybe I should figure out a cycle-hike combo, yet I know deep-down it’s the uncomplicated walking/painting itch that needs scratching. Once in a lifetime 🙂

Each to their own and all that.

Isn’t that what keeps life interesting? Judging others is too harsh here, walk a mile in another’s shoes etc? After all, we each of us had/have dreams? Am really happy for the OP – onwards and upwards!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Malvern Rider – that sounds like a fantastic dream to be working towards!

Much respect 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

Capt. Kronos – Member

This is, pretty much, the only thing I have ever *REALLY* wanted.

Got a ’78 in tobacco sunburst. 8)
    Don’t even play it; I play a £250 Yamaha bass.
    Sorry. 😳

Drac

A mutual mate has the right idea – a Caterham – proper fun performance that you can actually get some fun out of on UK roads

Do they not get stuck in traffic jams?

kerley
    Free Member

Yes, all cars get stuck in the same traffic. I gave up on fast cars due to the fact you can only drive around slowly following the traffic.

In the 80’s you could go out for a drive on a Sunday morning but now even going out at 08:00 you hit traffic.
    Another 2 years and we should be back to the good old days what with Brexit and all.

Edukator
    Free Member

Things move on a lot in 20 years.

Buying a badge seems odd. It doesn’t matter what the car is so long as it has the right badge. I used to like Peugeots, there isn’t one in the current range that appeals even a little bit.

Capt Chronos, why a Les Paul Standard? When you can buy a guitar with a modern neck that has a compound radius neck, double-action truss rod, a satin finish on the back of the neck, frets to your taste, the pick-ups you want etc.. and all that for less than the cost of genuine Gibson new or vintage.

As a kid I wanted a Fender Telecaster. Instead I’ve got a Warmoth Tele with Duncan pick-ups I put together myself (among many others 😳 ). I can live without the logo on the headstock.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted a van, a nice battered old van I can keep in the squalid state it deserves. Finally, after years of destroying cars, my wife looked at the mud and gel caked upholstery and has decreed I’m just not to be trusted with cars and I should buy the shittiest panel can I can find 😀

The art of attrition!

Drac

In the 80’s you could go out for a drive on a Sunday morning but now even going out at 08:00 you hit traffic.

That depends where you live. Weekdays at 9am I can go for a drive without any traffic within about 2 miles of my front door.

mogrim

Malvern Rider is currently winning the thread, and I say that as a Porsche fan who’d quite like a Macan. (I’d prefer a 911, but would happily accept a Macan if anyone’s offering…)

j5kol
    Free Member

Always wanted a Porsche 911 but having 2 small children this is not an option and having driven both i can honestly say the Macan is hardly a compromise, it is without doubt the best SUV on the market. I will dip into the 911 market once the kids grow up.

tonyg2003

I’d say that by all reports the Alfa Stelvio is meant to be run the Macan very close to being the best small SUV however it wouldn’t fulfil your 20yr dream so fair enough.

Macan a compromise for a 911 – I think that your post actually points it out. The 911 hasn’t gone four seats and space for a young family hence compromise. Driving wise. Maybe I’ll try a Macan and see!

kerley
    Free Member

A 911 would have been fine, our family car in the 70’s was a Hillman Imp.

weeksy

Sheesh, you’re a bundle of joy you lot !

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Malvern Rider is currently winning the thread

Too kind. We’ll see how true that is in 2020!

Also planned I’d have either a carbon Scott Scale carbon XC bike or a Ti lightweight something. Managed to get a Lightspeed Obed frame a few years back but sold it on before building 😆

keeping that line serpentine…

somafunk

Not all UK roads are stuffed full of cars crawling along at 30mph so it is feasible to enjoy driving, I stay in Galloway and it’s rather quiet when you get away from the A75 euroroute. Last week i drove home from Ayr to Kirkcudbright (60 miles) at 6.30pm and only encountered a handful of vehicles on the road of which the majority were heading up the road to Ayr, certainly way less than 20 vehicles for the entire journey which made my drive back down the road very peaceful and enjoyable.

I often used to head out for a “spirited/making progress” blast in my 190bhp MK2 golf gti when i had time or just fancied a wee jolly for shits n’ giggles, i’d very rarely encounter other traffic and there are extended sections of certain roads where you have full clear line of sight with no junctions/roads encroaching onto the main carriageway so you had no fear of someone pulling out in front of you, A cracking way to spend a couple of hours and £30 of petrol.

Enjoy your new car j5kol, don’t shout at the kids too much when they rub chocolate into the rear seats 😀

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Edukator – because that is what I wanted when I was 10. A Les Paul Standard and a Marshall Bluesbreaker.

That was it.

Still the dream!

That said, I have a Swampash Studio, a Gordon Smith custom built jobby which is like a Les Paul Standard but “better” in every way except being a Les Paul Standard, a Hammer Archtop and a very, very tasteless Aria Pro (which I got when I was a little over 10!).

There are plenty of other guitars that I would love to own, most probably better… but… it’s kinda like the Ferrari dream, you know there are things that would do what you want/need better… but you still want the one you dreamed of as a kid 😉

tpbiker
    Free Member

On relection my post was just mean. Not that the OP will care, but its not nice to piss on someones chips when they are excited.

The macan is apparently an awesome car, and whilst not what I’d buy, I can definitely see why hes excited.

I bought my Porsche on a whim one weekend, and whilst by no means as luxurous as the OPs car, they are fantastic motors. Hopefully see some pics up soon!

alpin
    Free Member

For me it would have to be a Caterham…. Not the 80bhp, nor the silly 500+bhp. Something in the middle. Weekends down to Liguria, Italy (where I currently am sitting in the terrace looking out with my chianti), via a few mountain passes.
    However saying that I’ve now got a driving ban in Germany so the GF would have to drive as far as Garmisch.
    In fact, we did just that, albeit in the GF’s MX5, which was nice, but just lacking that bit of extra oomph. (could turbo it, I suppose).

My other goals are to work less, spend more time doing things I enjoy and live somewhere where I would be happy enough not to want to go on holiday elsewhere.

Enjoy it, op.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘20 year wait’ is closed to new replies.