• This topic has 126 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)
  • 20 year wait
  • sbob
    Free Member

I completed my last life goal in 1998 when I finally got around to eating directly off a hog roast.

Car wise a 1969 429 Boss Mustang would be nice, but getting such a rare car just so I could peel out elevens outside maxtorque’s house at four o’ clock in the morning, every morning, seems like an extravagant waste.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mikey3 – Member
    I’ve waited 20 years for a penis reduction operation,have you seen the length of the waiting list? oh and my penis.

Man gets kicked in the balls, goes to hospital and the nurse says there is a lot of pain and swelling. Nurse says we have to sort it, man says take the pain leave the swelling

tonyg2003

OP and MaxTorque – cars like this are completely irrational and illogical but ..OP. I hope it lives up to your expectations and you enjoy every minute..

Rockape63
    Free Member

Sorry to be the barerbearer of bad news, but it’s just a car. A nice car yeah, but just a car.

I agree, once you have a family and house, the car becomes very much an after thought, but hey enjoy it…hope its a 911 turbo! 8)

Peyote
    Free Member

I’m not a big fan of cars, find them a bit boring as there isn’t much variation in the actual mechanics of how an ICE works. There’s only really so much you can do with bodywork too, in that it needs doors, somewhere for the engine and drivetrain to go etc. There are some nice cars out there, but 99.9% seem a bit samey.

Having said that, I fully appreciate most people feel the same way about bicycles, but I love them!

So, good on you OP, hope the Porker brings you joy!

Trimix
    Free Member

STW is not quite Pistonheads is it 🙂

j5kol
    Free Member

To all those that have asked, it is a Macan.

philjunior
    Free Member

I waited about 10 years until I got around to getting a 29er (26ers just became soooo cheap in the interim, and then family, but then I ended up with leaky forks on the HT, and a cheap frame available from on one that ticked all my boxes, so did it).

I’m glad I did. I hope no one breaks the bad news to me that it’s just a bike but with bigger wheels that are harder to get in the boot.

If I had a chance and the time to own a classic Porsche I’d love to, but my dream car is an Elise S1 at the moment. Just the right balance of practicality, an engine I know my way around, and lack of carpets.

tomhoward

😆

*untick*

Sorry, that was a bit mean, I’m Laughing at all the folk that assumed it was a 911/boxter/cayman

johndoh
    Free Member

my dream car is an Elise S1 at the moment. Just the right balance of practicality, an engine I know my way around, and lack of carpets.

And a car that normal people can get more out of than big cars. I drove an Exige at Silverstone and I was overtaking Ferraris through corners as they are so much more predictable and easy to drive as a novice. That said, I would happily take whatever beautiful sports can I could given half a chance – they are all great for one reason or another.

My next car is going to be a practical Nissan family 4×4 / 10 yr old Mazda 3

Whoop-de-doop.

Wookster

Nice one OP delighted you’ve managed to scratch that Itch!! Enjoy!!

Drac

Ah well! You nearly bought a proper one. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Two things I’ve always fancied in terms of cars – a car with more than four cylinders, and a car with no roof. Not necessarily the same car.

I suspect the former might be cheaper to accquire in the short term mind.

Ideal >4cyl car would be maybe an A6 with the 3.0 TDI.. do they still do air suspension?

Sundayjumper

“I always wanted a Chevy, and after waiting 20 years I’ve finally bought a Matiz”

johndoh
    Free Member

Ideal >4cyl car would be maybe an A6 with the 3.0 TDI..

Just don’t get it with the auto……………………… ……………………………………………………….. ……………………………………………………….. ………………………………..box

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I completed my last life goal in 1998 when I finally got around to eating directly off a hog roast.

Having owned all my dream vehicles (VW T2, Ducati Monster, Triumph Speed Triple) the only life goal I have left is to drink an entire cup of tea purely by soaking it up by dipping Bourbon biscuits.

j5kol
    Free Member

Loving all the negative comments, just be happy people

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m just hoping the OP hasn’t waited all this time for his Porsche then bought one with a diesel engine in it…..
    😕

molgrips
    Free Member

Just don’t get it with the auto……………………… ……………………………………………………….. ……………………………………………………….. ………………………………..box

They are DSG nowadays aren’t they? I like DSGs. I’d never get a luxo barge with a manual, that’s just ridiculous.

sbob
    Free Member

I drove an Elise once (TWOCed it off PJ from Big Brother 3, but that’s a different story).
    It was fun for fifteen minutes but then I hankered for comfier seats. 😳

Trimix
    Free Member

I used to have an Elise – great fun, but no good for transporting your bike in it, sadly.

johndoh
    Free Member

They are DSG nowadays aren’t they?

As we have discussed before, they are woeful on the current A6 (I know, I have one). I have driven the A5 2.0tdi and it is much more responsive in that. I drove a Ford Mondeo and that was way, way more responsive. My car is coming up 4 years old – I don’t know if they have fixed it in the very newest ones, but I hate mine with a passion.

I nearly had a crash last week – coming up to a mini-roundabout, slowed to check for vehicles coming from my right, it was clear so moved off. But by the time the car had decided to move, the bloke in the work van coming from my left assumed I was giving way to him (why would I) and had started off. I ended up doing an emergency stop to avoid the collision and he thought I was being a dick when in fact it was down to the delay in take-up from the box.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Congratulations OP, one of my friends is in the process of buying one for delivery in November.

My goals are a bit more modest, to buy a house – with a garage.

I can’t complain, when some of my peers from school were settling down, doing the sensible thing, buying houses I was traveling the world and getting up to mischief, had I’d known I was going to be left broken, broke and nearly bankrupt from a perfect storm of ****-ups at 32 I might have done things differently, but I doubt it – I’ve few regrets.

Now nearly 40 I’m trying to be a ‘first time’ buyer – the good news is we’ve got 2 incomes, good jobs, a deposit so we’re not nearly as screwed as the people trying to do that same 10-20 years younger than us – but it’s still graft.

One day, years from now when the kids are grown up, I’d like something sporty – It won’t be a new Porsche, not really my thing – but I’d love something like a GT86, nice second hand one, nice but not so much money I’d been scared to use it or park it in rough parts of town where I work sometimes.

thegreatape
    Free Member

My next door neighbour has a Tiguan as well, it’s nice, you’ll enjoy it.

Only joking, +1 for hope you enjoy it, I quite like them. Good choice.

Nico
    Free Member

STW is not quite Pistonheads is it

Neither is pistonheads.

molgrips
    Free Member

As we have discussed before

Yeah and most of us didn’t recognise anything you described 🙂

kerley
    Free Member

Seems strange wanting a car for 20 years that didn’t even exist 20 years ago. In fact, most people probably wouldn’t have thought Porsche would even be making an SUV 20 years ago.

As good as the Macan supposedly is I was surprised that was the choice.

Good choice of manufacturer. I had a Boxster for 5 years and 70,000 miles and loved it. Well until the last year where it seemed to have a new fault appearing every month…

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah and most of us didn’t recognise anything you described

I’d check back on that thread if I were you 😉

plyphon
    Free Member

Fantastic achievement, well done. I too have a goal to own a 911 Turbo S at some point.

Sundayjumper

Seems strange wanting a car for 20 years that didn’t even exist 20 years ago.

It seems even more strange that a teen(?)/twenty-something(?) was lusting after a family hatchback !

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

🙁

munrobiker
    Free Member

😐

I’d rather have my 32 year old one. And they said that wasn’t a proper Porsche too…

tomhoward

I should clarify, the spitfire I’m talking about is the one with a Merlin and wings, rather than a Canadian trail bike or a 60s triumph…

jamj1974

I nearly had a crash last week – coming up to a mini-roundabout, slowed to check for vehicles coming from my right, it was clear so moved off. But by the time the car had decided to move, the bloke in the work van coming from my left assumed I was giving way to him (why would I) and had started off. I ended up doing an emergency stop to avoid the collision and he thought I was being a dick when in fact it was down to the delay in take-up from the box.

I’m still not convinced your car is operating correctly… mine was fine.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Your 20 year goal in life was to own an SUV? Its not a diesel i hope?

Each to their own I guess.

Jamie
    Free Member

Your 20 year goal in life was to own an SUV?

Very ahead of his time if it was.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m still not convinced your car is operating correctly… mine was fine.

What year/engine? Audi themselves said the newer models have been remapped and there is plenty online about the issue. My brother has a Leon FR and he finds it similar to mine and he has driven an auto for a good 10+ years so he is very used to driving them (he’s had a Peugeot, Ford and Volvo before the current car).

Plenty on the interweb about it….

jamj1974

2012 and 12 plate. 245PS. 3.0 TDI Quattro S-Tronic. It was one of the first Avants in UK and I was first owner.

John, I’m not denying your experience BTW. Just very different to mine.

molgrips
    Free Member

My dream car is not going to be a manual. What do you think I am, a weirdo?

😉

jamj1974

Oh and enjoy your car OP.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘20 year wait’ is closed to new replies.