Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)
  • 11 Speed XT
  • ransos
    Free Member

Ha, even I remember people being up in arms about how terrible longevity was on 9 speed compared to 8!

8 speed doesn’t last nearly as well as 7 speed…

njee20
    Free Member

I have 9 speed too. It’s a pain having several bikes of different ages with different numbers of cogs when trying to bodge one together for this weekend.

The wheels I want to use are modern and have one more cog than the 8 speed shifters on the bike I want to bring.

But exactly the same freehub body, so why can’t you just swap cassette?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Poor as Shimano chains are, with KMC and SRAM both doing decent, affordable 11spd chains that are readily available now, I don’t see what’s stopping you

I’d ignored Sram chains because I thought they had the funny profile to work with their XX1 chainrings.

Ideally I’d want the Shimano 11 speed cassette / mech and shifer with a Sram / KMC chain with a narrow wide ring.

The only downsides are that the rear mech looks a bit naff and I’m put off slightly by the even lighter shift action. I wonder if they’ll do an 11 speed Saint / Zee drive train with a firmer / clunkier shift action?

deviant
    Free Member

Thankyou Shimano!…currently acquiring parts for a new FS build and have been agonising over the groupset, didnt want to go with the exorbitant SRAM 11-speed prices and didnt want to go mucking around with range extenders, cages, etc and stay 10-speed….Shimano swoop in to the rescue, i’ll be on SLX cranks, a SS n/w ring with the new XT 11-speed cassette, mech and shifter….perfect and a fraction of the price SRAM wanted.

Rich
    Free Member

Is there any chance a 10speed mech will work with the new 11speed shifters, like they do with sram 9speed shifters?

avdave2

Well I’m going to stop checking my chain on my 1×9 now. Had thought about going 10 speed but I was waiting for the 9 speed to wear out, I’m glad it hasn’t yet.
    Still overall I’d rather Shimano made me a version of my Rohloff which was just as reliable but lighter.

njee20
    Free Member

Is there any chance a 10speed mech will work with the new 11speed shifters, like they do with sram 9speed shifters?

Someone on here reckoned so, yes. Not seen or tried it first hand.

I’d ignored Sram chains because I thought they had the funny profile to work with their XX1 chainrings.

They don’t.

Ideally I’d want the Shimano 11 speed cassette / mech and shifer with a Sram / KMC chain with a narrow wide ring.

Yep, that’ll work.

richmtb

When is 11-40 happening in 10 speed?

I’m sure Shimano could shift thousands of them, or are they just trying to encourage people to 11 speed

kendo954
    Free Member

so….. when can we buy it? later this year or early next?

njee20
    Free Member

I’m sure Shimano could shift thousands of them, or are they just trying to encourage people to 11 speed

Of course they are! It’s the USP of 11 speed. In the same way they could do 9 speed clutch mechs. But they won’t.

nevermindthebutter
    Free Member

I just hope they make the rear mech cage stronger. I’m sick of clutch-twisted XT mechs. They self-destruct on any decently long travel bike with chain growth.

D0NK

so….. when can we buy it? later this year or early next?

linked article says june

timmys

When is 11-40 happening in 10 speed?

You’re probably aware of this but if you don’t want to go the expander cog route then there’s soon to be the option of the Praxis Works 11-40 cassette;

PRAXIS WIDE RANGE CASSETTE – THE SCOOP

A bit more expensive than an XT 11 spd cassette but then you don’t need new mech/chain/shifter!

aracer
    Free Member

But exactly the same freehub body, so why can’t you just swap cassette?

I can – was just making a (far too obtuse) suggestion that 9 speed is new fangled 😉

I do remember when I was at the bleeding edge though – I had some of the first 9 speed kit in this country (personally imported some of it). My most recent upgrade to have the latest kit though was 10 speed Record a month or two before they announced 11 speed 🙁

racefaceec90

Now please don’t take this the wrong get way but what does 2×11 give you over 2×10? Considering you can run 24/39 up front as a spread does the 40t rear add enough to go for the 11sp?

a fair point.

tbh it’s partly just for treating myself/vanity’s sake (spinal tap syndrome 🙂

my sram x7 2 x 10 spd groupset that came with the bike is still going strong 4 years later,just may be time to get it serviced though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

While we’re at it: 1×11 road groups.

Can see the appeal for some. Like my close ratio cassettes though.

tpbiker
    Free Member

oooh exciting…..i’m guessing by early next year you’ll be able to pick up the mech, cassette, shifter and chain for around 150 quid at crc…

faustus

I’m hoping they bring out a 1x specific SLX chainset – but guess they’ll only do it for 11 speed so may have to wait a while…

njee20
    Free Member

Nothing to stop you running a ‘1×11’ chainset on 10 speed. Can do it with a 2x or 3×11 chainset too frankly.

faustus

Sorry, I meant when/if they do the SLX groupset as an 11 speed (guessing it might be 2016??) – i think a 1x specific SLX chainset will be a pretty, and pretty cheap thing! But true, nothing to stop me getting the new xt chainset on current 1×10..

soobalias
    Free Member

couple of serious issues being overlooked.

firstly, any mtb with a dinky single ring upfront looks gash (sub 34t), cassettes with dinner plate size cogs again, look gash, the two combined, which i understand from a gear ration perspective, looks double gash

cmon people, you really gonna spend several thousand pounds, then insist on sleek lines, then make it functional to your weedy legs AND accept it looks poopy?

secondly, somewhere up there mentioned it, how many gears do you use?

give me 2×7, please.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I use all 10.

I’ve just dropped from 34 to 32 up front and it looks better as it’s one of those nice direct mount rings.

In general you any care that your bike might look “gash” if you spend to long looking at it not riding it.

kudos100
    Free Member

couple of serious issues being overlooked.

firstly, any mtb with a dinky single ring upfront looks gash (sub 34t), cassettes with dinner plate size cogs again, look gash, the two combined, which i understand from a gear ration perspective, looks double gash

cmon people, you really gonna spend several thousand pounds, then insist on sleek lines, then make it functional to your weedy legs AND accept it looks poopy?

Pipe down Stevie. Get back to playing isn’t she lovely on the piano.

ben98
    Free Member

soobalias- Single speeds look the best anyway, so arguing over the appearance of a 34 vs 32 tooth front cog seems pretty trivial to me….

mtbel
    Free Member

Pipe down Stevie. Get back to playing isn’t she lovely on the piano.

TBF Stevie is a better judge of what looks good than 95% of folk on here.
    There’s a 100000+ post thread with every second reply drooling over a shitey touring bike with slightly wider tyres on here FFS.

perthmtb
    Free Member

You’d have thought they’d have taken the opportunity to drop the “Deore” from the name. Nobody except Shimano refer to it as anything but just “XT” these days!

While I can see the new 11-42 cassette is useful for the 1X crowd, can’t say I’m wildly excited about the new gear ranges as a 2X user. Although they’ve given us greater range on the back by moving from 11-36 to 11-40, at the same time they’ve reduced it on the front by going from a 14T difference to a 10T one, so we’re back where we started but with just a little bit more granularity in the gears?

Still, I guess if I buy a 2016 bike it’ll come with it, but I don’t think I’ll rush out and replace my 2X10 XT.

And has anyone else noticed that the new wheels only come in 29 and 27.5 – another nail in the coffin for 26″ – shame on you Shimano!

mtbel
    Free Member

I’ve always thought of the “Deore” prefix on XT to be there for one reason and one reason only.
    to devalue the model just enough for idiots with more money than sense to part with almost twice the money to have the top level XTR moniker adorning their groupset despite it having no discernable improvement in function.

D0NK

can’t say I’m wildly excited about the new gear ranges as a 2X user

I was quite happy with 22/32 11-32 9spd but it did lack bit of range if you wanted to go “race” fast (pedalling like **** down gravel roads) and sticking a 36 “big ring” did mean dropping to granny ring too soon on climbs, something an 11-36 would fix. I guess 2×11 takes you back to 3x gear range but for most is probably overkill (more gears than they will likely use) and 3×11 well…..? dunno what thats for.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I guess 2×11 takes you back to 3x gear range

Well that’s my point – it doesn’t!

With the new XT 2×11 yes the range has increased on the back, but at the same time they’ve reduced the range on the front. So, whereas at the moment you can have a 24/38 double, ie. a spread of 14T on the front, with the new XT they only offer 24/34, 26/36, or 28/38 ie a spread of 10T. So what you gain on the rear, you lose on the front, and if you calculate the gear inches (which I have) you’re right back where you started with the same overall range (in fact 1 gear inch less) than the current 2×10 XT.

I’m not saying that’s necessarily a problem (I’m quite happy with that range) but I’m just pointing out to those who assume that an extra cog on the back automatically means a greater range of gears, that it’s not actually the case with the new XT. If you want a greater range of gears than on the current 2X10 XT then you’ll need to buy the 3X11 in the new XT, which also answers your question…

and 3×11 well…..? dunno what thats for.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

There’s a 100000+ post thread with every second reply drooling over a shitey touring bike with slightly wider tyres on here FFS.

The first thing I’ve seen you say in your new incarnation that I agree with.

chip
    Free Member

This thread has driven me to just order everything I need to go 1×11 xtr on my old five.
    I am banking on it working with the xt 11-42 cassette when I wear the xtr 11-40 out.
    I am currently running two bikes 1×10 with hope expanders.
    One works flawlessly the other,the five will hesitate to change down one of the gears sometimes forcing me to change down again then up to get my chosen gear.

simondbarnes

And has anyone else noticed that the new wheels only come in 29 and 27.5 – another nail in the coffin for 26″ – shame on you Shimano!

Why would they produce wheels in a size that nobody will produce frames for?

Goldigger
    Free Member

I have 3×10 XT on my 5, 24T/32T/42T & 11-36 cassette.
    I use the 32T for general trail riding..
    42T for motoring along flat trails/lanes/canals or downhill.
    I use the 24T when poodling up hill when I’m ****, or its just steep!

My question is, can I get this use/range out of a 1×11 setup?

andytherocketeer

if you fit a sram 38t chainring, and a 10-57 cassette.

aracer
    Free Member

But you’ll need an aftermarket extender to get the 57

Goldigger
    Free Member

So in short the answer is no…
    So what’s the point in 1×11? I’m not slaging it down mind you, just trying to gather who its for..

andytherocketeer

for those that don’t use all the gear range compared to those of us that do?

njee20
    Free Member

So what’s the point in 1×11? I’m not slaging it down mind you, just trying to gather who its for..

For the people who don’t need that range. I can pedal comfortably to 25mph and spin beyond 30, and I’ve never failed to get up something I’d have achieved with more gears. I’ve done group rides on the road, and ridden all over the country. That’ll do me. YMMV.

j4mie
    Free Member

Did someone say that you’ll be able to buy this in June? This year?

Very very tempted to get a group set and hopefully save faffing about with different brands mixing and matching, was about to order a new rear mech tonight but if it’s going to be June I’ll wait and get it then…

EDIT Just read it again, so will wait and start saving……. Woohoo!

kudos100
    Free Member

TBF Stevie is a better judge of what looks good than 95% of folk on here.

I’d have to agree with you there. Oh the Jones space frame, isn’t it gorgeous!! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed XT’ is closed to new replies.