Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • 11 Speed XT
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

maes you wonder why they bother with twp pricepoints between budget and race. I guess they know better than me though

(thinking about it 2 x product launches every 2 years pays for the 2 x tooling and the r&d’s pretty much nonexistant at that point- doh)

timmys

My initial thoughts;

– It looks a lot prettier than XTR
    – I don’t get the get the ‘it’s killed SRAM 11-speed’, as pointed out, a 10 versus 11 tooth sprocket adds a lot of range (because maths).
    – The rear mech looks as though it still has a cheap and nasty plastic clutch switch – the low end Zee gets a nice metal one – why?
    – Hope I’m reading it wrong that the shifter has lost multishifting down the block – I do that all the time.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Cool, I fancy some 11 speed on the XC bike but don’t fancy getting uber mega spendy, Been holding out for the new brakes. I’m still confused by the cassette situation though. I assume you can run the 40/11 on a single? This would suit me better when I’m mincing about, 36/11 is perfect for racing but it can be a drag on longer rides as I’ve got a 34 up front, one moar click would be nice.

EDIT – Nevermind, there’s been about 40 replies since I started typing, I got distracted…

kendo954
    Free Member

well thats me not buying the xtr 11speed stuff now……

this looks exactly what im after at an affordable price 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Great, back to Shimano for me – should work out quite well with the timing when I wear out my XX1 cassette 🙂

XTR shifter & mech, XT cassette. sorted. Just don’t listen to my inner weight weenie. it’s going to be a bucketload heavier than the XX1 cassette.

richmtb

Makes me kind of pissed of I’ve just spent a load of money converting 2 bikes to 10 speed!

Its nice looking kit though

bigblackshed

I like the looks on the cranks.

The SRAM fanbois “well it’s still not got a 10 tooth, lots more range on SRAM”

If I want more range I’ll put a double on the front. I’d rather have a 12 or 13 tooth than an 11, then a smoother cassette with smaller jumps.

But then I’m a Luddite.

rottwieler
    Free Member

More range on shimano really designed with more than just 1x in mind its available still in double & triple chainsets as well.

chakaping
    Free Member

good info, thanks for sharing rottweiler

so when the time comes I’ll just need a shifter, rear mech and cassette

should work fine on existing 10sp freehub and a SSC narrow-wide ring?

11-42t with Shimano quality will do me fine

njee20
    Free Member

should work fine on existing 10sp freehub and a SSC narrow-wide ring?
    11-42t with Shimano quality will do me fine

Correct!

v10
    Free Member

Why? X0 cost more than XTR previously, let alone XX! X9 has always been between XT and XTR etc. It’s basically the same price as GX.

SRAM pricing has always been odd, people try and correlate to Shimano hierarchies (which are nice and clear), but IMO that doesn’t really stack up!

Exactly this. GX with the 1000 series chainset works out at £360 RRP (Without BB) so for the first time in a long time they have 2 groupsets that line up head to head in that respect.

v10
    Free Member

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well….I’m not buying Sram now for sure. This is brilliant! Glad to see one major company trying to keep costs down to a sane level! 75 quid for a cassette is just about acceptable!

This will be going on my Nukeproof Scout build! 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think the cranks look lovely…much nicer than the XTR ones. I think this’ll win Shimano lot of fans – 11 speed with good range for sensible money. It’s also compatible with traditional cassettes. I just wish they’d go the other way with their shifters making them more definitive in the shift.

I’m a big Sram fan and love the clunkiness of their shift action. I also prefer the ergonomics of their shifters having said that, after 10 years or so on Sram I switched back to Shimano last year because their clutch mechs are better and make my bikes quieter. Will be interesting to see what Sram do now. I wonder if they’ve got a cheaper 11 speed groupset waiting to go just in case something like this happens.

I’ll probably make the change once there are more 11 speed chains…I hate Shiamno chains.

tomhoward

Rescue and then kill it again in 2017 with 11 speed SLX.

And revive it again with Di2 XT 😉

More range on shimano really designed with more than just 1x in mind its available still in double & triple chainsets as well.

GX has a double now doesn’t it? Yeah shim have 3x but who is that aimed at?

rhayter

Having just bought a bike bedecked in SRAM X01 (my first SRAM and my first 1x setup) and rather liking it, I’m not full of angst about this launch. More choice is great for anyone building a bike up right now. You can bet you’ll see this group on loads of 2106 bikes announced at Sea Otter, Eurobike, Interbike etc. Shimano have done a great job here. It’s be bombproof, too. And I agree, the cranks look lovely.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

rhayter, for you maybe not a big deal. But have you seen the price of XO1 mechs? I regularly murder rear derailleurs to death, XT 11 speed will be great! And the cheaper cassettes will be brilliant for mile munching! X01 cassettes are double the cost!

kelvin

This is great news.

ninfan
    Free Member

11?

FFS, I’m still working through my stash of 9 speed…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve rarely read as much guff as that wot is printer in the shimano launch text that I have just read on pinkbike.

Trail rated for power

optimized, shallow slant angle

Rider Tuned 11-speed

mboy
    Free Member

Ride more! 🙄

I’ll probably make the change once there are more 11 speed chains…I hate Shiamno chains.

Poor as Shimano chains are, with KMC and SRAM both doing decent, affordable 11spd chains that are readily available now, I don’t see what’s stopping you…

Great to hear that Shimano are stepping in the right direction again, but I do still think there’s a gaping hole in the market for an 11-40 or 11-42 SLX or Deore level 10spd cassette right now. Not everyone is bothered by the arms race of having yet more and more gears, but for most of us, range is crucial.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

bet that cassettes a boat anchor,

hatter

Yeah shim have 3x but who is that aimed at?

Elderly Germans on Santos touring bikes.

cookeaa

Great to hear that Shimano are stepping in the right direction again, but I do still think there’s a gaping hole in the market for an 11-40 or 11-42 SLX or Deore level 10spd cassette right now. Not everyone is bothered by the arms race of having yet more and more gears, but for most of us, range is crucial.

Never going to happen, not from either of the big S’s… Their rather obvious philosophy will always be, “if you want more range buy one of our lovely new groupsets with extra cogs…”

Why help you nurse “old” drivetrains for several more years when they make more money flogging you a whole new one, ideally fitted to a shiny new dandyhorse…

Goldigger
    Free Member

What’s all the fuss about?

Looks nice..

rhayter

@ Tom_W1987
    Don’t get me wrong; it IS a big deal – brilliant kit* that’s comparatively affordable. Excellent stuff. I only got X01 because it came on the bike I bought. I’ve never mangled a derailleur in 20+ years of rising, so I’ve been lucky…

*assuming it’s up to Shimano’s usual standard.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’m still not seeing what the benefit of going from a 3×10 to a 1×11 setup is, apart from a weight saving perhaps?

Assuming you run a NW chainring, and don’t need a chain device. You save the weight of a shifter, two chain rings and a front derailleur. Not to mention a bit of cable..
    what we talking here? 450g? How far off the gearing is it from the granny gear on a 3×10 setup?

I’m assuming the new XT 2×11 still wont work on a 5?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m still not seeing what the benefit of going from a 3×10 to a 1×11 setup is, apart from a weight saving perhaps?

Where does a 3x granny start these days been a very long time since I saw one, always thought 3×10 was overkill once the wider spaced 2x and 36t cassettes became the norm.
    http://www.dropbox.com/s/zt8fza5nrond12l/Sram_gearing_xx_xx1.png

Not to cover all the ground of all the other threads…

Having a linear path through the gears is great, the jumps are much smaller than touching a front mech.
    The range is really really good, and only has 1 of each gear rather than a huge overlap.
    You get chain security, less excess chain due to having to accommodate gears you will never use and better clearance from getting rid of the 40+t ring.

On this it’s good but still not awesome. Great on a budget but still seeing the 10t as the killer feature from SRAM, the difference at the top there allowing a lower front ring to be used is key to making the 1x work.

Tom_W1987 – Member
    … But have you seen the price of XO1 mechs? I regularly murder rear derailleurs to death,

Perhaps not to speak out of turn but that may be you not the mech? Once is unlucky, twice is careless, three times?

racefaceec90

will definitely be saving up for 2 x 11 xt for my old duster bike. the groupset looks lovely,and reasonably priced too 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

racefaceec90 – Member
    will definitely be saving up for 2 x 11 xt for my old duster bike.

Now please don’t take this the wrong get way but what does 2×11 give you over 2×10? Considering you can run 24/39 up front as a spread does the 40t rear add enough to go for the 11sp?

scaredypants

42 Cassette is only for the 1 ring setup this was due to the chain length i believe being to long and creating too much slap. (no one likes it slapping about)

Maybe a bit of that, but, 11-42 and a double ??

😯

grenosteve
    Free Member

That’ll take a while, as 9 speed lasts forever!

dudeofdoom

Phew nearly did £130 on a xtr 11 cassette a few weeks back – and thats only 40t
    (I’m in the 40-42T gear camp for get you home after you’ve gone up the hills in the others BTW.)

So this is great…a lot more choice for us and its reasonablish in price.

PJM1974
    Free Member

9 Speed XT rocks! I’m pretty happy with it on my hardtail, the shifting is very light and smooth, better than the SRAMesque shifting on 10 speed XT IMHO.

njee20
    Free Member

Ha, even I remember people being up in arms about how terrible longevity was on 9 speed compared to 8!

wwaswas

I’ll say – I’m still using up my CRC Flood Sale stuff.

Wear out damn you.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m getting way more life out of my 10 speed stuff than I ever did my 9 speed stuff. 2 years on my current cassette, had one that lasted 3 years already.

D0NK

Liking the look of that, was going to switch 2 bikes to 1×10 in the next couple of weeks think I’ll just do 1 and switch the other to 1×11 next year instead.

covering old ground but if you’re using all of your 3×10 gear range 1x probably isn’t for you. For those who dropped their big ring a long time ago (due to regularly grinding it on rocks) 1x covers all (sram) or nearly all (any type of of 11-42 setup) of the range the standard-ish 2x setup gave with added bonus of lightness, no F mech shifting, better chain retention, worse chain line/wear and more expense.

aracer
    Free Member

I have 9 speed too. It’s a pain having several bikes of different ages with different numbers of cogs when trying to bodge one together for this weekend.

The wheels I want to use are modern and have one more cog than the 8 speed shifters on the bike I want to bring.

Stevet1
    Free Member

<cough> still on 8 speed here, one cassette and chain left <cough>

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed XT’ is closed to new replies.