Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • York
  • mogrim

My wife’s Spanish uncle wants to spend a couple of weeks (maybe more) learning English sometime around May, and I suggested York as a possible destination. (He’s already visited London and most of the South). He’s just retired, so not looking for noisy nightlife, just somewhere nice with a decent hotel or apartment ideally with parking.

Is York a good idea? Any hotel suggestions? Or would somewhere else be better?

Cougar

Maybe he could visit DownhillDave and they could help each other? http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/learning-spanish-1

York’s nice enough. If his only criteria is “somewhere nice with a car park and English-speaking people” then it’s a fairly broad choice really.

mogrim

Maybe he could visit DownhillDave and they could help each other?

🙂

I realise it’s a bit open, but I thought of York as it’s not too big, has touristy bits in the middle, and seemed a bit less “big city” than Manchester or Liverpool.

squirrelking
    Free Member

We stayed in The Saxon House a couple of years ago. Just outside the city walls, cheap enough, friendly and quiet. Parking round the back as well.

mogrim

We stayed in The Saxon House a couple of years ago. Just outside the city walls, cheap enough, friendly and quiet. Parking round the back as well.

Thanks, that looks ideal.

JEngledow
    Free Member

As he wants to learn English he might be better Somewhere with a slightly easier to understand accent 😉

mogrim

As he wants to learn English he might be better Somewhere with a slightly easier to understand accent

Listening to him trying to speak English I think any accent is going to be a problem 🙂

IHN

What about Cheltenham? A few language schools, nice town, loads of hotels and apartments, good restaurants, and a slightly less impenetrable accent than York 🙂

igm

York accent (as opposed to say Leeds) is pretty light.

If he managed London accents he’ll be fine.

mogrim

If he managed London accents he’ll be fine.

Right now he can’t manage any accents!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘York’ is closed to new replies.