Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • 동계 올림픽 주제 Winter Olympics 2018
  • franksinatra

That Hungarian skier story is actually great, a bit Eddie Eagle Edwards.  She knows she is rubbish but worked out that by turning up to world cup events and not falling over she could probably get to the Olympics.  She played to system so she could be an Olympian. She knew she wouldn’t win, just wanted to go.

She could probably ski circles round most of us anyway

and she also races skeleton….

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Skeleton’s a race? I thought it was just a lie down between proper sports…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well blimey, the Men’s chuck a snowboard down a ramp then spin till you’re sick was awesome.. it’s well worth watching (I’ll say no more)

The Women’s downhill too.. though I have a question, the suits they wear look thicker than Lycra yet as manoeuvrable so must be a mix of Lycra and some sort of neoprene (or something like) because they don’t seem to get cold nor have restrictions on movement.. anyone know what the material is?

epicsteve
    Free Member

hat Hungarian skier story is actually great, a bit Eddie Eagle Edwards. She knows she is rubbish but worked out that by turning up to world cup events and not falling over she could probably get to the Olympics. She played to system so she could be an Olympian. She knew she wouldn’t win, just wanted to go

I think the only reason it’s a story at all is because she’s from America rather than one of the minor winter sports countries. There are lots of folks at the winter Olympics that are miles of the pace (like the guy from Tonga for example – and quite a lot of the others in the race he was in).

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I see the BBC’s ‘See if you can make them cry aka “It must mean so much to you/your pets/your dead relative'” interview technique is being turned up a notch this week.  And a black and white montage of that speed skater falling over to a backtrack of Johnny Cash’s version of ‘Hurt’ closing out the highlights last night, give over.

MSP

“I think the only reason it’s a story at all is because she’s from America rather than one of the minor winter sports countries. There are lots of folks at the winter Olympics that are miles of the pace (like the guy from Tonga for example – and quite a lot of the others in the race he was in)”

I had a friend who made the qualification time for the Olympics 100 meters at Seoul in 88, he was a decent enough club runner but wasn’t even close to the A standard required to run for the UK, but could have run for the Seychelles through his heritage. Neither he nor the Seychelles were willing to finance him to attend and get embarrassed in the first round.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I had a friend who made the qualification time for the Olympics 100 meters at Seoul in 88, he was a decent enough club runner but wasn’t even close to the A standard required to run for the UK, but could have run for the Seychelles through his heritage. Neither he nor the Seychelles were willing to finance him to attend and get embarrassed in the first round.

I’m not sure how many of those folks who’re at the Olympics just so they can say they’re an Olympian are self-funded but would have thought it might be quite a few of them.

The guy from Tonga has competed at the summer Olympics as well, in Taekwondo although it sounds like he’s pretty capable in that sport as he won a qualification tournament. I think his Olympic targets are mainly about being there though – I thought I’d read an article saying that he wanted to complete at 3 Olympics at a different sport in each.

wiggles
    Free Member

Some great ice hockey over the last few days.

Bit surprised that body checks are not allowed at all in women’s hockey seems a bit strange when they are just as padded up as the men, also they wear helmets with a full face mesh covering.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Can’t believe we just lost to Germany…

Well done Germany though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

i do think the Women in the Ice Dancing ought to wear longer more concealed dresses.. They’re incredibly short and revealing.

Harumph.

Pigface
    Free Member

Germany in the final 😂😂😂

wiggles
    Free Member

i do think the Women in the Ice Dancing ought to wear longer more concealed dresses.. They’re incredibly short and revealing.

Harumph.

Why?

Because you can’t look at a 15 year old in a skirt without making it sexual?

Seems a silly thing to think about, they are ice dancers that’s what they wear. Do you say the same thing about the length of gymnasts leotards or swimmers costumes?

somafunk

yes i agree bikebouy, i have deliberately avoided all the ice dancing for that very reason – i want my excitement levels raised through competition not by a slip of a dress

bikebouy
    Free Member

I just think it’s a step too far.

As far as thinking it’s sexual, you must have me mixed up with someone else.

They could wear leggings, like the blokes.

But since you think it’s sexual, maybe you should turn it off.. they are 15 after all.

wiggles
    Free Member

They do wear tights/leggings that are skin coloured. Just can’t see why someone would care… Do you feel the same about gymnasts and swimmers costumes being a bit much as well?

That like saying you won’t watch the tour because their shorts don’t cover thet up enough, surely it’s the spectacle of the sport you are watching it’s not s fashion show is it?

Im not trying to cause any offence here just interested in why it bothers anyone

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s fine, I am a self confessed prude of the highest order.

Anyway back to chucking your snowboard in the air and throwing shapes.. Billy isn’t doing too well at the mo’.

wiggles
    Free Member

Well he certainly turned it around!

(Literally, 4 times)

Rockape63
    Free Member

Still really enjoying the games….shame Eve messed up against the Swedes in the curling and Vonn couldn’t pull out the fast one in the downhill.

Most amazing is the girl who’s won two golds in the alpine super g on skis and now won the gold in the slalom snowboarding.  Truly immense achievement!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Although I was disappointed to hear that NHL players weren’t being allowed to play in the games this time I reckon It’s levelled the competition out more.

Germany only have about 8 active NHL players at the moment whereas the other big hitters have many many more & I doubt Germany wouldv’e made it so far without some help from the likes of Leon Draisaitl.

It’s great to see the creme de la creme play against each other in national competition rather than the NHL but there’s little decent coverage of the Ice Hockey world championships.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just watched Billy Morgan winning bronze…..amazing as most of the favourites kept falling and to his own surprise, he landed a great one!  Fantastic….well done Billy from Southampton!

wiggles
    Free Member

Yeah the hockey has been great so close in so many of the games

bikebouy
    Free Member

And I return from a run and Billy won bronze..

Pretty damn fine performance that.

nickjb
    Free Member

How far did you run! He won it at 3am

bikebouy
    Free Member

I woke early, watched him bin his 1st run, fell asleep then out running at 8..

I don’t know how they do it, they must practice on a kids trampoline somewhere ..

Mental.

Bunnyhop

Billy Morgan to carry the ‘team GB’ flag at the closing ceremony today.

2 people that stand out for me – Lizzy Yarnold and Esther E (sorry can’t remember her surname) CZE  girl, winning gold in GS and dual snowboard slalom. As mentioned above, what an amazing achievement.

bikebouy
    Free Member

There has been some very interesting moments during the games. I have enjoyed it on the whole, but can’t say I’m a fan of the BBC coverage of the Curling… it seems to be the only thing on when I turn the tv on..

The BBC4 catch-up Programme has been the better option IMO.

mikey74
    Free Member

Am I missing something? 2 more Russian athletes admit to doping violations and the IOC says it is planning on ending the Russian ban. Surely that should see the ban extended and the end of even the OAR participation?

Pigface
    Free Member

Ice hockey final simply amazing.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I thought the snowboard parallel slalom competition was very unfair. The red course was noticeably faster than the blue one and a good 95% of the winners came from that side. The gold medalist, Ester Ledecka raced every time on the red side. I wonder how she would have got if if she had been on the blue track? I’m surprised something wasn’t done about it.

Standout athlete in the games was Marit Bjorgen. Her final performance in the 30km race was breathtaking.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yep the hockey final was 1st class! I was hoping Germany would nab it but the Russkies were too strong on possession & their stick handling was unbelievable.

Pavel Datsyuk, 39 yr old & still performing well.

theotherjonv

Standout performance(s) – Yes Bjorgen, but also Yun in the skeleton winning by a mile, Virtue and Moir in the ice dance (I admit it, I cried) and parochially Lizzy Yarnold

But moment of the games for me was the deadheat in the pairs Bob. And the moment the tie was called, it wasn’t disappointment and not being outright winners, but sharing the moment with rivals.

To reparaphrase……..Sport – It’s not a matter of life and death, but it is bloody brilliant sometimes.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Awww…it’s all over!  Gonna miss my daily fix! 🙁

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I thought the BBC coverage was at best annoying. Countless repeats at the expense of (in their eyes obviously) lesser events, switching channels mid-event and waaaay too much effin’ curling. At 2 hours+ for each match and all the round robinning etc. it could have done with its own channel to give sports fans a respite from “bowls on ice”.

I also agree with the comments about the stupid ice dancing costumes (men and women). It’s a sports event not a fashion show FFS! They should have to do it in standardised, approved outfits like all of the other sports.

bearnecessities

But moment of the games for me was the deadheat in the pairs Bob.

That was brilliant!

For me the highlight was the mens’ halfpipe final; the way that built up (for those up at stupid o’clock to watch it) it couldn’t have been scripted better.

I’m also sad to see it end, but at least I won’t have any more moments where I’m going to sleep at 5am before missing a 7am train to London 🙂

I thought the BBC coverage was excellent though (and I may be bit in love with Amy Williams)..

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘동계 올림픽 주제 Winter Olympics 2018’ is closed to new replies.