Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)
  • 동계 올림픽 주제 Winter Olympics 2018
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Winter Olympics Thread!

Anyone else bemused as to why moguls are still a thing?

P-Jay
    Free Member

We need someone to run the newspapers I suppose.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Utterly massive here in Sweden, wall to wall coverage. The rivalry between them and Norway is hilarious. The ongoing asthma medicine debate continues in cross country skiing

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/doping-scandal-hits-winter-olympics-zn7kb03zk

I’ll watch the snowboarding, Lindsey Vonn 🙂 and perhaps some hockey but, yeah, anything else?

zippykona

There’s some real characters on here today.

SaxonRider

I love them, and will watch almost any event. Including figure skating.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Short track speed skating is usually great value. 4X on ice.

binners

I bloody love the winter olympics. The other one with people running about and throwing things, and the odd bit of horse-dancing, I can take or leave

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m bemused as to why Hangul is still a thing. They had the sense to drop kanji decades ago.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Selective watching for me, some of the events are just dull (curling) but on the whole I’m loving the coverage of the culture and music backdrop.

Is Alan Baxter still in it?

pictonroad

I’m with the OP, watching mogul skiing is like watching an F1 car go rallying. Impressive but a waste of talent.

binners

Image result for eddie the eagle thumbs up

Caher

Too much rugby, football and boxing in the coming weeks so a pass from me. Need to fit in some riding time.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

I’ll be watching love the chance to watch sports that don’t get much airtime over here and can’t beat a bit of curling and that fast sledging that we’re pretty decent and of course the Jamaican bobsleigh team

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Short track speed skating is usually great value. 4X on ice.

a yes , Holland love a bit of skating don’t they, for obvious reasons. I want to watch that tongan dude ski too, plus Mike Pence meeting the north Korean delegate.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_OAB and I much prefer the winter games to summer.

Crash n burn tv, innit.

slowoldman

It wouldn’t be in my top 10 sports to ditch.

swavis

Looking forward to it. I can almost hear the footy fans berating how much air time it gets 😀

dovebiker

Opening Ceremony a bit duff- the drummers weren’t drumming and the tedium of the athlete’s parade…maybe because I was a performer at 2012?

I love the Winter Games as it gives you the chance to see stuff that doesn’t get regular TV time – my Dutch mates will be going mad for the Long Track Speed Skating

Watch out for Norwegian Johannes Klaebo in the XC skiing – could end up with a hatful of medals, providing the ‘neutral’ Ruskies aren’t up to their old tricks.

Drac

No dove it’s not that it was just a bit shit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Anywhere I can watch online ?

edhornby

aren’t the BBC all over it? if so then iplayer will be the place to go

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@dovebiker is he the guy with the weird style ? I recently had some xc skiing lessons and my intrusctor named a Norwegian kid who like runs up the slopes or something? Not classic technique at all bit smashes everyone?

trail_rat
    Free Member

iplayer not an option due to location and vpn not an option as will result in no longer having a job 😀 (and im not trying to watch in work i live on compound 5 weeks at a time so its my down time i want to watch it)

CountZero

Love the Winter Olympics, actually enjoy watching the curling, but any of the sled-type sports I like, biathlon…
    Always interesting watching unlikely teams taking part, like Tonga and the African nations, their lack of any sort of snow being a major impediment.

SaxonRider

I LOVE biathlon. The combination of breath-taking xc skiing with the concentration and steadiness of target shooting, is brilliant. Although not, perhaps, the most exciting thing to watch on its own, I find xc skiing especially inspiring.

mikey74
    Free Member

Get rid of the “judged” sports and it would be much better. What time of day is it on? I presume, due to the 9 hour time difference, it’s on during the night, here in the UK.

shermer75
    Free Member

I love the Winter Olympics! Or simply ‘the Olympics’ if you’re Canadian lol.

CFH how did you get that cool looking Korean script in the thread title?

aracer
    Free Member

Unlike the Summer games, I don’t think there’s any Winter Olympic sport I wouldn’t happily watch – I’ll even watch moguls. I agree that biathlon is the best though – especially the head to head races (which is now most of them) where things can suddenly change and you get people playing catch up. That’s even ignoring the awesomeness of those competing – I’ve done XC ski racing at a purely amateur level (like being a club runner in the London Marathon) and there’s no way I could even hold a rifle steady within 30s of stopping skiing.

Bunnyhop

Bring on the 4X (snowboarding and skiing).

Come on Dave Ryding, you can do get yourself on a podium.

richmtb

Love the winter olympics.

Most of the events are utterly bonkers.

85mph down a mountain on some carbon fibre planks, check.
    90mph down an ice flume on a tray, check.
    leaping off a huge jump at 70mph and flying through the air, check.
    racing side by side down a snowy obstacle course, check.

All that and Ice Hockey too!

CountZero

I’m bemused as to why Hangul is still a thing. They had the sense to drop kanji decades ago

Why shouldn’t Hangul be a thing? It’s their own alphabet, developed in the 15th century to be easy for anyone, regardless of background or education to learn:
    “Hangul was designed so that even people with little education could learn to read and write. A popular saying about the alphabet is, “A wise man can acquaint himself with them before the morning is over; even a stupid man can learn them in the space of ten days.”[20]”
    And of course they dropped Kanji ages ago, why on earth would a nation continue to use a language system forced on them by an occupying foreign nation, in this case Japan, especially considering how Koreans were treated; just try bringing up the subject of ‘comfort women’, and see what happens.
    Maybe you should acquaint yourself with some background history of the region.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member
    Drac

복사 및 붙여 넣기 Shermer

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I prefer the winter olympics to the summer ones, & love the hockey.
    Shame there’s no NHL players allowed to play this time.

bearnecessities

Someone stayed up until 5am watching the women’s snowboarding and now regretting it. Bloody carnage it was too.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Hangul is basically our alphabet with different shapes for the letters, and its theirs, why not keep it?

Not watched much as no TV but caught the skeleton? (feet first) last night and the figure skating.

TR try eurosport if you have a sub.

kilo

Men’s biathlon sprint has been the event of the games so far for me, favourites chucking shots wide mean the pursuit should be great. Foucade came across very well in interview.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

woman’s snowboarding was crap.  A real shame as it is in a bad place anyhow and that was a joke of a final.

matt_outandabout

Absolutely loving it.

We’ve watched various snow board, curling, hockey, moguls(!), luge, ice dance and some ski xc stuff…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘동계 올림픽 주제 Winter Olympics 2018’ is closed to new replies.