Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 1,201 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • swavis

We’ve been down in Ardnamurchan this week, absolutely scored with the weather. I took the eldest up the highest point behind the campsite, Beinn na Seilg, which gave spectacular views over to Mull, then north to Rum, Muck and Eigg, and the Cuillins further north still.
    Didn’t meet a soul 😊

DavidB
    Free Member

We have just done six days on Harris. Utterly sublime walking and meeting an average of 0 people per day on the hills. Lucked out with the weather but my camera now weighs a ton with all the photos

matt_outandabout

Oooh, we did Beinn na Sielg a few years back. Properly empty hills and amazing views.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb, cracking pics Swavis! Harris is magic DavidB, I really need to get back.

Anyone use alpha synthetic stuff? Looking for a 3 season mid weight kinda insulation, not too hot for wearing both up and down. Can pair windshell or hardshell with it?.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1848548

nostrils
    Free Member

Subscribed to the OS Maps online, wow! Have spent the morning printing and laminating maps, still getting to grips with plotting routes but first impressions very good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I use it, route plotting is flakey at best, better if you can to import GPX from somewhere else.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

bikehike used to be good for creating courses and saving as a gpx, was simple to use as well.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Walkhighlands is an excellent resource for route planning I believe?

I just use a paper map and compass, combined with a grid reference app.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Walkhighlands and walklakes are both good, taking a GPX is useful in pathless areas like my local Galloways.

matt_outandabout

+1 on walkhighlands
    It’s saved me a few dead ends, bog hops and dodgy carparks.

ElShalimo

If you do use Walkhighlands a lot then a nice little contribution via PayPal keeps them going.

It’s nice to be nice

🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, agreed, good people.

scotroutes

Wee hills sometimes have the better views.

Binnien Shuas above Loch Laggan yesterday.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jW3dmq]DSC_1669-PANO[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Tracey

Out in the Peak today, nice to get back
    out with the girls

ElShalimo

👍

Futureboy77

Lovely day in Glencoe today.

nostrils
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a watch (non GPS) with an altimeter function for around £100?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Our good run is starting to run out….after 4 weeks in a row of clear blue skies and perfect conditions, we had a fairly mixed day on the Newlands Round today. Cat Bells was amazing, we were up early and it was pretty quiet all things considered. Simply stunning views. Cloud/mist really dropped in shortly afterwards so it wasn’t until we were around to Hindscarth that we got to see anything else really! Still a great day though….felt really tough actually given that it wasn’t a huge amount of ascent. It was insanely slippery all day mind…..the descent off Hindscarth was lethal!

ElShalimo

Can anyone recommend some waterpoof shell mitts to go over softshell gloves? They’re probably going to be sat in the rucsac and rarely used but they’d be really handy for those days when the weather turns unexpectedly rotten.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of the black wed’ze ski mitts from decathlon, they just fitted in the shop, but when hands are cold and damp I can’t get them on (I’ve big hands!) They’re XL, you can have them posted for a fivr to my charity cause!.

ElShalimo

@nobeer – thanks but I’ve got big hands too. Usually size XL/10.

benp1

I have the extremities tuff bags, which are great GTX overmitts

Although on a hillwalking day, if it’s not just a little meander, I carry a ziplock bag with emergency buff (can be a hat) and buffalo mitts. Not waterproof but enough protection and really warm.

I’m an XL glove size, XL tuff mits are a good size, buffalo mitts are an XXL

ElShalimo

thanks @benp1

I do have proper winter gloves that I use in the snow or when skiing but I wouldn’t take them with me the other 3 seasons of the year.

dyls

Did the Snowdon horseshoe on Sunday, just under 20km starting and ending in Pen y Gwryd.

Crib Goch

IMG_0095

IMG_0093

IMG_0094

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Braw!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, that Montane alpha jacket came from sportspursuit, fits great and looks perfect for what I’m after – not too hot for chilly 3 season hikes, paired with a windshell or hardshell.

Any recommendations for a women’s equivalent? Montane prismatic looks the obvious choice?.

seosamh77
    Free Member

So is this just about premiership hillwalking…

Or are us non-league types allowed in? 😆

Top of Meikle Bin done on saturday, hoping to keep things up over the winter, mibbe start on the corbetts and munros on the spring, once I’m back in to something resembling hill walking fit! 😆 400m ascent is about my whack at the moment, but bit by bit getting there and looking to build on it each time.

Shame it was fairly cloudy, didn’t really get the views of the distant hills ye can get. but still decent enough for a soggy day.

seosamh77
    Free Member

In other news, decided to buy a pair of old school hiking boots, just need to properly break them in, my north face walking gutties weren’t cutting it at all! felt every stone in the way back down the forest road!

matt_outandabout

Meikle Bin done on saturday

Last time I was there was similarly cloudy and driech looking!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That’s better than the views we had last time up Meikle bin! was supposed to be running a 12k race in Kirkintilloch last year, but the weather was stinking, so we went up MB instead, seeing as the bairn was away, and Dumyat in the afternoon, old school lunch in Corrieris.

Too many folk obsessed wi the numbers Joe, there’s some awesome smaller hills, and generally not polluted with folk at weekends. Was up Meikle Millyea last saturday, only met one other person, smashing.

Check out the Donalds (summits in southern Scotland over 2000′), there’s some great hills there, and no too far from you either.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, will defo check those, seem a realistic choice for winter, as I don’t see myself going into snow really! So will hit smaller peaks when I can, and will go for building up the distance. Got a long term aim of going for the whw in june, so need to get comfortable with distance and consecutive days!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Managed a day walking in the Galloway’s yesterday, supposed to be going to Arran for some Corbetts, but had booked an overnight at Lochranza campsite, and one look at the forecast told a story, no way would we have got back today.

So, Lamachan hill, a bastard of a hill, no path, pretty much all just dougals, Heather, bogs, a total shitfest. Stunning views mind, over the awful hand and Rhinns of Kells.

Then first overnighter in the Citan, was sleeping for 9pm! 😆 Parked up at stinchar bridge, was lovely til just after 2am, then all tell broke loose weather wise. The folks who were in their tent when we arrived weren’t there this morning!.

Good day all in.

IMG_20201030_142749112_HDR

IMG_20201030_150735421

IMG_20201030_154533858_HDR

IMG_20201031_135125_564

IMG_20201031_073713372

swavis

Good work and nice pic’s 😎 Aye it’s a bit wild out there. Thankfully we’ve no rain but the wind is something else, some serious gusts.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Two hours in the White Peak for me earlier on…..got **** soaked….my Paramo is leaking in the chest ffs!

matt_outandabout

….my Paramo is leaking in the chest ffs!

They do in torrential rain, they’re not designed to be 100% watertight.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Weather looks perfect for a hill today, any plans anyone? ⛰️

Tom-B
    Free Member

Probably head to a quieter part of the White Peak I think (just over a 20 minute drive)

ahsat

Thick fog for us all weekend 🙁 And forecast for lack of fog is probably too far away to be considered local. Local foggy bimble at best I think.

convert

Looks great today – but sadly working this morning. Tomorrow maybe…..

Random aside – where is your go to place to find new mountain routes? Mine has always been….a map! But it’s always good to get ideas from somewhere sometimes from other peoples’ adventures. Specifically looking for some 2 or 3 day winter routes in the Cairngorms as it looks like I’ll have some time and a pass out to go play. And a new Hilleberg Soulo to test drive.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.