Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,201 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • benp1

Was in the Peak last weekend, did Kinder Scout with my daughter for her birthday

Stayed in the van just outside Castleton. Weather was absolutely grim so glad I wasn’t in a tent, sideways rain that didn’t seem to stop. Ate in a pub in Castleton, they were packed, glad to see they have so much business.

Thankfully the day of the walk the weather was much better than forecast, only a bit of rain and even a touch of sun, mainly very windy instead though. It was lovely to be out, it’s been a while and I’ve missed it

The top of Kinder Scout and that general plateau is a bit like an adventure playground. Stuff to hop on and climb over, muddy bits and bogs to avoid etc, it’s ace

Dog is still a puppy so too young for him to get out, looking forward to being able to take him

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just don’t tarnish all of us van drivers with the same brush.

Yup, tbh most of the **** I’ve seen are in cars, and camping within a few feet, but it’s not the vehicle that’s the problem, it’s the dicks inside.

Cameron McNeish (who usually talks shite tbh) had a decent article about how some campsites were taking the piss in terms of their charging, that doesn’t help either.

ElShalimo

We had 2 weeks away recently. Lots of campsites charging full price even thought the toilets, showers, laundry, pot washing units were closed.

It’s important that we support the campsites and stay in them as mush as possible but I do feel slightly miffed at paying for services you don’t have access to. If it was just a field with a water tap it wouldn’t be £25 a night. There is no easy solution to this though. Some campsites are completely shut this year to protect the families that run them, whilst others are packed to the gills and raking it in. It’s a weird year for every one !

lotto
    Free Member

If the deluge of van owners is here to stay then I think villages across Scotland need to consider the idea of municipal campsites like the ones in France. Cheap, cheerful and basic. Glen Etive this year has been terrible. People meet up and cars littered everywhere. The verges have become so badly cut up at points you are reversing anywhere up to 500m to allow safe passage. Also detracts from the views somewhat. The permit camping in the Trossachs NP seems to have gone some way to helping dilute irresponsible behaviour. Maybe an expansion of this idea?

ElShalimo

Anyway, back on to the walking…

Has anyone been up Bleaklow recently? Is it the usual bog fest? I was thinking of going up from Old Glossop over the weekend

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agree Lotto, infrastructure and control required.

Aye, back to hills. Looks like we’re confined to Ayrshire for the next couple of weeks, no hardship, still lots of donalds to bag yet. 😄

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’ve been considering doing the Yorkshire three peaks for a few years now because there’s a geocache to claim if you do it in 12 hours. Decided it would be too much for the dog a while back and not sure what to do with her otherwise. Now she’s cracking in May be something we can do soon.

Doesn’t really count as hill walking but we did spar cave last week on Skye and would extremely recommend it for anybody in the area. Amazing.

ElShalimo

@GolfChick – did you manage to get up Beinn Alligin?

Spin
    Free Member

did you manage to get up Beinn Alligin?

Last time I was up Beinn Alligin I met two Yorkshire lads. It was late afternoon and I asked what they’d been up to as they had overnight bags. They told me they’d just camped near the bottom of the hill but had been slow getting started because they’d drunk 1.5l of rum between them. They seemed to be having a grand old time!

GolfChick
    Free Member

No we didn’t, the weather was biblical the next day despite the forecast. Everyone you looked at it it has gotten worse. Was still raining badly and the cloud cover was so low it would have ruined it really.

ElShalimo

Oh dear. It’ll still be there next time

BillOddie

The wife and I did a ton of hiking and trekking before children.

Highlights of pre-kids hiking career were a couple of trips to British Columbia/Alberta (Day Hikes), loads of trips to Snowdonia and 4 months in New Zealand. Whilst in New Zealand we did as many multi-day Tramps as possible, we did the Abel Tasman, Heaphy, Tongariro Northern Circuit, as well as numerous day hikes and a couple of overnighters on a lesser known tracks.

Now the kids (and subsequent dog) are old/big enough to come along and enjoy it too and we’ve done some great walks in the French Alps around Tignes, Snowdonia (the boys went up Snowdon when they were 5 and 7 respectively (Up the Pyg, down the Miners if I recall correctly).

View this post on Instagram

Heading up the PYG track. #snowdonia #mountain

A post shared by Dan Lees (@danlees78) on

View this post on Instagram

Cracking ridge walk this morning! #tignes

A post shared by Dan Lees (@danlees78) on

Last proper Mountain Day was last summer, proper Glyderau loop from Idwal Cottage.this summer didn’t really happen for reasons mostly obvious.

This summer didn’t really happen for reasons mostly obvious.

Having experienced crowds on my local (dog) walking and riding spots driving for an hour or so to repeat the process with even more crowds etc seemed like a daft idea, maybe I’m just being overly grumpy.

New boots have been purchased so the plan is to get on the hill during the less friendly weather months when the crowds are less abundant.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Exactly, pretty disappointed as it would have been the first scramble where one of my other friends wouldn’t have been able to say ‘oh yes I’ve done that one’. There will definitely be other times and opportunities, live to fight another day!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

PSA – Adventure show on BBC Scotland tonight, Donnie Campbell munro record, should be awesome. 7pm.

ElShalimo

No beer – is it on iPlayer for us South of the border?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dunno, can you get BBC Scotland on your freeview/sky box?

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m hoping so!

slowoldman

No beer – is it on iPlayer for us South of the border?

I just checked iPlayer. Yes it is. Available after broadcast.

ElShalimo

👍

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If any of you need a wee tv mountain fix in the meantime, subscribe to Murray Wilkie – ‘scotlands mountains’ on youtube, it’s fantastic.

Spin
    Free Member

Wow, tatoo Steve is a pretty inspirational guy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, he was awesome!!

fingerbang
    Free Member

Did three peaks Yorkshire today, for the first time, on my own. Nice big day out and great weather! Whernside was so busy but I hit that at lunchtime, and everyone was out for the day. The diversion up Ingleborough is a peaty bog fest and ridiculously steep, but at least it’s short. Helluva mountain is Ingleborough. And whernside is a spectacular ridge walk. My first-time up each of the peaks so nice to cross them off. I’d do it again 🙂 just hammering a four pack of beers now in order to relax my muscles

Started at 8.48 and back to the car at 5.25. So we’ll call that 8.5 hours.

didn’t really stop at all for lunch. Just kept going as I thought I’d seize up and I felt good, although fannied around taking photos. Really glad I’ve done it

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

fingerbang
    Free Member

Busy at whernside and Ribble head viaduct . These photos aren’t the best tbh

Tom-B
    Free Member

Looks like a fair effort @fingerbang

Another 3 Wainwright’s ticked for me today. Helm Crag, Gibson Knott and Calf Crag…..lowest Wainwright’s I’ve done, had some newbies out with us though so didn’t want to overdo it.
    Another amazing Lakeland day

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGNxFKtBd6p/?igshid=zbu6tomvu2gi

RustyNissanPrairie

Did Helvellyn via Brown Crag today with the doggo, Swirl’s carpark was fairly full at 8:30 but was rammed when I came back to the car later on.

matt_outandabout

A cracking day out walking the last few peaks of the Ochills that we hadn’t yet done. 16km/5 tops in cold wind and glorious sun.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

8.5hrs for walking yorkshire 3 peaks is pretty decent.

It’s my regular haunt, I do them individually a few times a month. for about 5 years I’ve had a thing going of H-in-R primary school to summit of P-Y-G in under 40 mins, I can’t do it. 40.58 being my best time.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Cheers B.A.Nana

I’d had loved to have taken my pooch but I think 23.5 miles would’ve been too much for him and TBH he would’ve been a complete pain in the arse 😆

fingerbang
    Free Member

I was surprised by the amount of rock scrambling for p-y-g but feels like, and is, a much more compact mountain than the other two sprawling ridges. The stretch from p-y-g to whernside is a slog ,as someone said earlier in the thread, and some horrible road walking

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cracking day yesterday walking in the Galloways, always amazes me how quiet it is there, when the gluepots of arrochar and achray are rammed. Our gain, as I think it’s as beautiful as any area, and bloody tough terrain.

Kirriereoch and Tarfessock yesterday, the former is the highest peak in South Ayrshire at 780m, and not another soul there, not one.

Great views over to Merrick.

IMG_20201014_143950764

IMG-20201015-WA0000

IMG_20201014_133036050_HDR

ElShalimo

Great views

The enduro colour scheme is “interesting”

😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol, took a punt on those trousers, I’ve a few better pairs, but those were 26 quid from regatta, perfect for hacking aboot the boggy stuff.

The jacket is a wee Rab windshell hoody, it’s brilliant, you’d think it’s just a shitey wee cheap thing when you see it, but it’s brilliant for keeping the wind off on days like that, and packs down tiny.

I love bright clothes in the hills, both fir pics, and SAR won’t see ye dressed in brown!.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Haha!!! I thought that too….at least you’ll be easy for MRT’s to spot 🙈

Whom has plans this weekend? Weather looks promising again, so I think that we might do the Newlands Round, worried that it’s going to be crazy busy though.

If not then potentially Back o Skiddaw, or maybe something in the Western Lakes, I’ve not done much out that way.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just got back from a few days in the lakes.
    Haystacks – Fleetwith pike round, Monday.
    Pinnacle ridge on Tuesday.
    Fairfield horseshoe Wednesday.

ElShalimo

@nobeer – I do like jacket ! Let’s not mention the troos 😉

I’m just jealous as you clearly had a great day in the hills

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol! Gonna give em a bash on the MTB this weekend too, reckon they’ll be guid riding trews!

NZCol

I ran up the Ben before breakfast this morning if that’s any humblebrag use ? Was delightful sunrise and a cracking start to the day. Then took child number 1 up Cow Hill for a hot choc from the flask. Good times.

scotroutes

Had a walk up Binnien Shuas (Loch Laggan) this afternoon as part of my 100 day thing but also to capture an elusive VeloViewer square. It’s a lovely wee hill with extensive views but is surprisingly pathless after getting off the estate road.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jVGGJg]DSC_1670[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jVFW79]DSC_1672[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jVFWvf]DSC_1668[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

granny_ring

Some great pics there folks. Cheers.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.