Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,205 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

Edges

stevedoc
    Free Member

stevedoc
    Free Member

A moring on the Edges on Helvellyn   and the perfect inversion of Catstye Cam  .. freezing in Glenridding  and sunbathing on the top 

dave661350

Brilliant photos, what a day to be up high.

slowoldman

Amazing shot of Catstycam.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I think so  . we were very lucky

Spin
    Free Member

A few from this weekend, Ben Wyvis, Torridon, Fannichs.

img-8-1701696338068

img-7-1701696286249

img-6-1701696275655

img-5-1701696249732

img-4-1701696240535

img-3-1701696222273

img-2-1701696209218

img-1-1701696200175

thelawman

I’m a bit slow reporting this, but managed 2 short days on the Aran ridge in mid Wales a few weeks ago. We’d planned to camp high up, but sadly conditions were nothing like those on Wyvis or Fannich just up there ^ – it was blowing a hoolie and clagged in. So we dropped lower for the night.
    First day
    Second day

ElShalimo

Heading to Snowdonia this weekend (no bikes due to bad shoulder)

I’m guessing it’ll be very wet underfoot, even up high – anyone been in the last few weeks?

claudie

Looking for some advice regarding a week long hiking holiday in the Dolomites. We are thinking of basing ourselves in a town and doing daily challenging walks. The choice I’m struggling with is do it yourself with regard to accommodation and route planning or use a company ( eg Colletts ) who provide tried and tested routes of all levels and accommodation. Obviously using a company is more expensive but I like the idea of the ‘tried and tested’ routes. And where would be a good source for finding routes, I can’t use my trusty OS App in Italy! ? Thanks

Spin
    Free Member

I can’t use my trusty OS App in Italy! ? Thanks

You can, just with the standard map.

Spin
    Free Member

Heading to Snowdonia this weekend

Looks fairly unpleasant in the mountains this weekend. I’m honestly ready to just jump in the van and drive anywhere within 6hrs that isn’t shit this weekend. I’m usually ok at coping with the dark and crap weather but this winter has felt particularly bad, maybe because there have been good days but not when I could go!

ElShalimo

@claudie – Crystal summer/Ingham’s do holidays in Selva Val Gardena or Corvara(Alta Badia). You can have self-catering, B&B or half board.
    There’s a 1000 walks to do locally via bus or cable car,  lots of VF routes too. Selva is probably handier for getting straight on the hills but Corvara is probably a better place to stay.
    Local tourist info websites area mine of information as are other websites. I know the areas well an dhav helped friends plan holidays in both towns.
    Feel free to email me if you want some help

Edit: I’ve got friends who have studied Collets, Exodus websites and just planned their own week away

ElShalimo

@spin – The Cheviots might be okay this weekend. 

matt_outandabout

Looks fairly unpleasant in the mountains this weekend.

+1

https://www.mwis.org.uk/forecasts/english-and-welsh/snowdonia-national-park

The mountains are always there.

Spin
    Free Member

The Cheviots might be okay this weekend. 

Funnily enough I was thinking about a weekend bouldering/soloing in Northumberland!

claudie

@ElShalimo, thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely follow up on them. But I might have more questions for you in a few days!

Spin
    Free Member

Did anyone get out last weekend? Would you believe I ended up going for a bike ride? Some nice days midweek but another stormy weekend beckons.

bikesandboots

I was out in the north lakes in cloud and high winds, just keeping my legs fit really but I enjoyed it as an adventure. Wore goggles and full waterproofs half the walk for the wind, but not so windy as to impede walking or balance.

I’m following https://twitter.com/LakesWeather and it’s a bit annoying seeing all the fine days happen on weekdays when I’m working. The other constraint is snow/ice but I’m planning to get the skills and gear for that soon.

ElShalimo

@spin – the wind in Snowdonia was pretty wild – much stronger than the forecast.  We were going to do a route on Northern Carneddau but it was 40 plus gusts so Plan B was low level. Sunday was even gustier. We walked up past Cwmorthin to Rhosydd slate works. Even at 450m the gusts were impressively strong. There were others doing the Moelwyn horseshoe but it would have been very nasty on the tops.

Cwmorthin

IMG20240128122423IMG20240128120239IMG20240128114533IMG20240128144221

ElShalimo

IMG_6148

IMG_6161

Spin
    Free Member

Looks like a nice plan b!

ElShalimo

@spin – the camera stayed in my pocket when the weather turned.

bikesandboots

I’m told the snow in the highlands has all been melted by the recent warm storms, gone lower down, and higher up is now all just neve/ice 😢

ElShalimo

IMG20240217114800

ElShalimo

Pen-y-ghent yesterday

It was bleak

Spin
    Free Member

A cracking couple of days yesterday and Friday:

P1060126

P1060139

P1060142

P1060143

P1060148

P1060155

P1060159

stevedoc
    Free Member

Very nice Spin

matt_outandabout

Aye, lovely.

matt_outandabout

I forgot to post our Mount Keen photos from a few weeks back. We had a very icy drive up the glen to wild camp, then cycled in as far as we dare with the ice (which was forecast and did indeed melt).

Mount Keen

Mount Keen

Mount Keen

Mount Keen

Mount Keen

scuttler

Awww Spin, they’re ace. Not sure where though, An Teallach?

Spin
    Free Member

Sorry, should have said.

The first is An Coileachan in the Fannichs and the rest are Beinn Alligin.

jam-bo

nothing like as exciting but we got some slushy mushy stuff way down south.

IMG_1915IMG_1916IMG_1908

ElShalimo

@Spin – did you descend via the gulley that avalanches all the time?

About 15 years ago me and my mate were on the Horns and got blown off our feet about 10m from random gusts. I’m 15st so it was a touch scary – it’s a fair drop off

Spin
    Free Member

I didn’t go to the top, I was running around getting photos of crags for the climbing guidebook.

Spin
    Free Member

A little wander about on Liathach today, trying and mostly failing to find something to climb.

PXL-20240303-103436058

PXL-20240303-103057135

PXL-20240303-100847466

PXL-20240303-082324578

ElShalimo

A section of Hadrian’s Wall today

IMG20240324115519IMG20240324121004IMG20240324123027IMG20240324123701IMG20240324153054

gordimhor

Thoroughly enjoying this thread. Well done all

Spin
    Free Member

@ElShalimo

When I posted about Beinn Alligin you mentioned a ‘gully that avalanches all the time’. I’m curious to know where you mean as I wasn’t aware of any particular black spots on that hill. Cheers.

Spin
    Free Member

Like the Hadrian’s wall shots. The only time I’ve been there was to climb on the 2 crags near Sycamore(less) Gap.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,205 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.