Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,201 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • piemonster

Actually, many climbers here?

Found myself back at indoor climbing (Ratho) and should be moving outside soon enough.

Would be good to see some inspirational photos, and also and suggestions for crags with plenty of VD to HS options within an hour of Edinburgh/Dunfermline way.

aldo56
    Free Member

One here! I’m on the other coast so far from an expert but have enjoyed Hawkcrag and Limekilns in that neck of the woods.

You’ve also got Rosyth Quarry but I’ve never been there. Have a look on UKC for pictures.

piemonster

I can lean out of a window and see Silver Sands so Hawkscraigs is eyed up. Its about a 20 minute walk.

aldo56
    Free Member

Great fun bouldering there!

chickenman

The two best climbing venues reasonably close to Edinburgh are Dunkeld and Northumberland. Both however are slightly more than an hour away and both are a fairly hardcore; if you manage to climb a certain grade at those places you can probably comfortably manage the same grade anywhere else in the country.

chickenman

Not really the right grade but suitably inspirational I think. Lady Charlotte at Dunkeld

piemonster

Look at those trousers, LOOK AT THEM!

chickenman

Yes, 1988, everyone wanted to look like Andy Pollitt. “The Fat Boy” as a A Class pretty boy just about pulls that off 🙂

piemonster

Although theres a fair bit of serious grades at Dunkeld theres also a reasonable amount of more realistic options for me.

Is the rock generally fairly solid, need much drying out on the less serious routes?

I also didnt know there was sport climbing there.

chickenman

Routes to do would be Beech Wall, Cuticle Crack, Hogg’s Hindquarters and The Hood. The rock is pretty solid, dries quickly but footholds are often slopey or inobvious so a bit of a learning curve if you’ve only ever climbed indoors. I was never much of a sports climber but I rated the Upper Cave Crag routes as the best in Scotland, they really suited a weakling like me as there are lots of footholds.

slowoldman

We used to wear some bizarre garb back in the 70s too. Jeans rolled up the knee (John Allen’s fault I think). Loons (the widest flappiest flares you can image) – had to develop a certain style to flick them off the the toe of your EBs to see where you were placing your foot.

I still have a pair of candy stripe Troll Jesters in the wardrobe and some luminous yellow Ron Hills.

Spin
    Free Member

within an hour of Edinburgh/Dunfermline way.

If you can stretch that timescale a little the there is excellent single pitch cragging in Northumberland. Kyloe Crag has some excellent routes at the grades you mentioned.

Spin
    Free Member

crags with plenty of VD to HS options

If you can get away for a weekend then Crag Lough and Peel Crag in Northumberland are 2 of the best single pitch crags for those grades in the whole country.

LD
    Free Member

Auchinstarry is quite good for “step out the car” at that grade.
    Dunkeld is awesome, great rock and mostly superb protection. Polney crag is the best for the grades you mention. Try Kestrel Crack, Holly Tree Grove and Beech Wall as already mentioned. The groove has always been one of my favourites You’ll be doing well to get more than 3 routes in a day due to the faff of abbing down or a long walk. Feels like a good adventure though, particularly Hoggs Hindquaters which is quite unique!

Spin
    Free Member

Google tells me that Loudon Hill is about 1hr 20min from Dunfermline, its also excellent at the grades you mentioned.

thelawman

See those Scarpa boots up there in the photo of Lady Charlotte? Guess who’s still wearing an identical pair each week at the Wolverhampton wall… yup that’ll be me 🙋

piemonster

Those Northumbrian crags look superb, do they tend to be quiet?

Just finsihed a session at Ratho which involved repeatedly jumping off which was entertaining in a way. Belayer was quite a lot lighter too so had a fair amount of drop.

BikePawl
    Free Member

There’s a lovely little bolted crag at Bennybeg just west of Crieff, grades from 3+ to 6a Here

matt_outandabout

There’s a lovely little bolted crag at Bennybeg just west of Crieff, grades from 3+ to 6a Here

Cracking cafe next to it too….

Spin
    Free Member

Those Northumbrian crags look superb, do they tend to be quiet?

Peel Crag and Crag Lough are pretty quiet with climbers, we had a day at each a few summers back and only saw one other climber. They are absolutely rammed with tourists though as Hadrian’s wall runs across the top. They really are absolutely first rate in the easier grades. Good campsite at Winsheilds too.

The other Northumberland crags are a bit mixed. Kyloe can be popular but I’ve never seen it unpleasantly so. Bowden gets busy but mainly with boulderers.

piemonster

Is that Northumberland “popular” or Stanage “popular”?

Spin
    Free Member

Northumberland is generally less busy than the Peak. Away from a handful of honeypot* crags it’s pretty quiet full stop.

*both Kyloes and both Bowdens mostly. Even these rarely get unpleasantly busy.

Spin
    Free Member

OK, what’s the photo posting trick now? I thought I had it sorted but it isn’t working.

Spin
    Free Member

P1040892

P1040958

P1040983

P1040999

P1050016

P1050020

P1050030

P1040991

P1040992

Spin
    Free Member

Hmm, seems to be working now. Those are a few from the Fisherfield area weekend before last.

chickenman

Carnmore bothy? That’s a long walk in wearing those heels…

matt_outandabout

That’s some set of pics Spin!
    (And yes, the back story to the shoes must just be a joker…surely?)

Spin
    Free Member

Carnmore bothy?

Yes, still a shithole you’ll see but it served a purpose for that trip.

thelawman

Is it sad to recognise the bothy from its interior?
    My clue was this
    Same piccy, I think

Spin
    Free Member

Is it sad to recognise the bothy from its interior?
    My clue was this
    Same piccy, I think

Is that the link you meant to post? It takes me to a moor in Wales.

malgrey
    Free Member

Love Fisherfield. Amazing place. Great photos.

thelawman

@spin Sorry, only just seen that reply.
    Nope, I meant this photo
    (a ‘preview post’ feature would help)

piemonster

I shouldn’t be excited about buying a rope, but I am.

Whats the score with climbing guides these days, books, apps or website? Or all 3?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Might as well ask here… Got to leave car in glencoe for a few days. Best at kingshouse or at the ski centre?

chickenman

A paper copy of a climbing guide should live in your cludgie. Studying said guide is the perfect relaxent for the bowels I find.

LD
    Free Member

Got to leave car in glencoe for a few days. Best at kingshouse or at the ski centre?

Ski centre and stick a few quid in the camper honesty box. I would have though KH would be more for hotel customers and very little skiing so plenty space at Glencoe Mountain.

piemonster

I dont know what a cludgie is, but it sounds like soneone books shouldnt be put into

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Ski centre and stick a few quid in the camper honesty box. I would have though KH would be more for hotel customers and very little skiing so plenty space at Glencoe Mountain.

👍

slowoldman

I dont know what a cludgie is, but it sounds like soneone books shouldnt be put into

It’s where climbers retire for a relaxed sit down.

matt_outandabout

It’s where climbers retire for a relaxed sit down.

Climbers guide in the cludgie, in the Cluanie Inn after a day on Càrn nan Gobhar?

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.