Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,201 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • scuttler
    ElShalimo

The Fiddler / Sgùrr an Fhìdhleir  photo gives me goosebumps. It’s stunning

piemonster

Try fan for me, but for different reasons. Absolute belter of a hill for scrambling and easy climbs.

ElShalimo

The thing with the NW Highlands photos is that they are far, far away for most people in the UK (unless you’re lucky enough to live within a few hours drive of them). Add to that the frequently crap weather up there and it makes those photos even better for me

matt_outandabout

That is very true.

Best keep my fingers crossed for the two days we can hopefully get Ben Hope done while we are in Tongue this summer.

piemonster

Not a long day* by the direct route for Ben Hope, kinda curious if there’s many alternatives with reasonable paths.

Not even a day, nor even a morning unless you really really take your time, which is fair enough to do.

Edit, why yes, the north ridge looks interesting.

Spin
    Free Member

P1040623

P1040628

P1040632

P1040669

P1040679

P1040681

P1040684

P1040689

P1040694

P1040703

Spin
    Free Member

A few from yesterday on Beinn Eighe and Beinn Alligin.

scotroutes

Not a long day* by the direct route for Ben Hope, kinda curious if there’s many alternatives with reasonable paths.

I’ve twice done it on the same day as Ben Klibreck. The second time was after witnessing a dawn annular eclipse from the summit.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Not posted in a while but lurking in this thread periodically.

Not sure if these count as they’re not hillwalking as such…

On Creise

Creise, approaching summit

Meall a Bhuirudh summit

Creag Meaghaidh summit

Approaching Meagaidh

From Beinn a Choairain

Beinn a Chaoirain

stuartie_c
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ocDeAi]IMG_20220306_124921[/url] by Stuart Campbell, on Flickr

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Posting fail – here goes again.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

ElShalimo

Gentle day in the valleys around Cadair Idris

piemonster

Anyone gear have any thoughts on the pros and cons of boots vs shoes with approach footwear for scrambling duties?

Im leaning towards shoes as im likely to run in, scramble, run out again so would likely carry them in a rucksack.

Edited : itd be Scarpa Crux if it was shoes as the fit for me is superb.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by scrambling, if you mean the likes of striding edge or other easy ridge scramble/walks, then I’d be happy in my Scarpa crux, but then I think you’d be fine in grippy xc running shoes. BUT if you’re talking something like the vertical corner on pinnacle ridge, then I wouldn’t be particularly keen to do that in a pr of crux, they’re far too soft and flexi for me. If I’m actually going to be doing easy climbing I’d possibly look at something a bit more rigid for edging (Scarpa zodiac shoe?).

piemonster

Id be venturing into grade 2s unroped and 3s roped

I dont think i tried on Zodiacs, might ha e to track some down

ElShalimo

Have you looked at La Sportiva TX shoes or Scarpa Mescalito?

various versions of Boreal Flyers used to be good for this – fairly stiff with good edges

Or just look for a via ferrata shoe – they’re designed to be okay to walk in and stiff enough to scramble in

piemonster

The TXs and Mescalitos both proved to be a poor fit.

Not even considered Boreals, will go take a google.

Edit, hang on, are TXs zodiacs?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

REVIEW: SCARPA ZODIAC

They do them in grey, I’ve never tried them btw, but they look the business as a more rigid shoe.

piemonster

/\/\ That’s a massive range, only a couple of which are available locally(ish) for me to try on for fit. And they didn’t. (TX4/Guide/Boulder)

The Scarpa Zodiacs I haven’t tried and are available so I’ll call the shop and see if they have them, or if they can get them in that branch as they have them in stock in my size online.

Back to the original question.

Pros and Cons of boots vs trainers? Anyone have any thoughts on that, bearing in mind my default footwear in the Scottish hills for well over a decade have been Mudclaws or X Talons. Presumably it’s just a comfort thing and additional support/protection, none of which I’m fussed about ‘off’ the scrambling sections.

oldbloke
    Free Member

40 years of fell runners in the hills here – from when the choice was Walsh PBs or Walsh PBs. Boots only for winter when crampons needed as don’t find any benefit from them at any other time. To get any appreciable ankle support means loss of agility and I find the latter more useful. Done lots of scrambles in Lakes & Skye in fell running shoes and never felt like boots would have been a better option. Currently in La Sportiva Mutants and haven’t used anything else this winter yet.

piemonster

Im still in the hunt for approach shoes but ive parked it for now until I get a better idea of how things will pan out this summer.

Im half thinking about a big multi day walking pack, can anyone recommend a good Scotland based shop for multi day packs? Im already thinking the obvious targets like Craig Don Edinburgh/Perth, Tiso Perth, whatever I find in Aviemore/Fort William, and Ive a detour planned to Ultralight Outdoor Gear on my next south bound trip.

matt_outandabout

Best kit shopping in Scotland for range of brands is Aviemore IMO, followed by Fort William.

piemonster

That was pretty much my assumption, ill mooch over to Craigdon Edinburgh this weekend, and swing by Tiso Perth on my next trip up Aviemore way then whenever next I head south plan the detour to Ultralight Outdoor Gear

debaser

Not been in here in a while. Lots of cracking hill photos! Here’s a few of my snaps from a braw afternoon on Ben Lui earlier in the week. Biked in from Tyndrum to a wee bit beyond Cononish where the going got slow in the snow. Walked up via Coire Gaothach and Stob Garadh. Didn’t see a soul on the hill. Just an eagle, ptarmigan and a couple of raven patrolling the summit.

ElShalimo

👍

aldo56
    Free Member

Pie,

Scrapa Crux are absolutely brilliant for scrambling! I’ve climbed VS in mine.. You can crank down the laces a bit for the more technical sections. The only thing they’re not great on is wet grass but what climbing shoe is…

Boots are good if it’s pishing down or in the winter. Otherwise I’m in my Crux.

I don’t think I’d like to run too far in them though.

malgrey
    Free Member

Spent last week in the Highlands, and got rather lucky with the weather.

Sgurr Dubh in Torridon, before more snow arrived, but on an atmospheric day when the clouds kept coming in and out.

malgrey
    Free Member

OK, why won’t it let me make a second post of the next part of the trip? As usual with STW, no error message, no explanation, just doesn’t appear?

malgrey
    Free Member

Though when I post again, its says its duplication. Anybody see some photos with Maol Cheann-dearg covered in snow that I can’t see?

ElShalimo

I can see the Torridon photos

malgrey
    Free Member

I can see the Sgurr Dubh ones, and my two “WTF is happening” posts, but not the one ones of the bothy and snow covered hills in between. Oh well, will pop back later!

debaser

No maol cheann dearg appearing so far, but the sgur dubh ones look great.

malgrey
    Free Member

We then had a dumping, not deep but very soft, and headed into Maol Cheann-dearg via a night in Coire Fionnaraich bothy, just because we wanted to. It was a tad chilly (-10C in the glen below) but we carried in enough coal, and a guitar and banjo, and the next day was fabulous!

malgrey
    Free Member

malgrey
    Free Member

Split it in two, presume there’s a max no of images thing.

ElShalimo

Thats better

Great photos

piemonster

Scrapa Crux are absolutely brilliant for scrambling! I’ve climbed VS in mine.. You can crank down the laces a bit for the more technical sections. The only thing they’re not great on is wet grass but what climbing shoe is…

Boots are good if it’s pishing down or in the winter. Otherwise I’m in my Crux.

I don’t think I’d like to run too far in them though.

Nice, cheers @aldo56 much appreciated.

Tbh, I dont have all that much of a choice unless I take a punt on shoes ive never tried on. The fit if the Crux are so far ahead of any other locally available option nothing I can try us getting a look in.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.