Home Forums Chat Forum ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️

• This topic has 1,254 replies, 117 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by claudie.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,255 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • ElShalimo

@scotroutes – that looks like a great day out

tjagain

Just for amusement – this is one of my favourite hillwalking photos taken at the top of one of the torridon passes. Not very flattering of Mrs TJ

463100_10150852703988388_556849484_o by TandemJeremy[/url], on Flickr

DavidB
    Free Member

@nostrils I did the Welsh 3000s in a day many years back. We started from the car park at Pen y Pas to tick Crib Goch on the way up. It’s a tough old day and only half our party made it. Definitely worth receeing all of them individually before having a go at the lot. The most intimidating fact is the fell running record of 4 hours 10 minutes! Took us nearly 17 hours

fingerbang
    Free Member

A bit more mundane this but fancy a physical challenge and was thinking of doing Yorkshire 3 peaks but perhaps as a run/walk?on basis that its 23 miles and I can’t run that far over 3 hills but walking could be boring and a long day and perhaps flirting with darkness

Was thinking of each hill ascent on foot and then run on the flat bits? Although will be a faff with correct layering etc. Anyone done this kind of thing? A 6 hour day out in the hills is the aim

crikey
    Free Member

You know there is a 3 Peaks fell race?

3 and a half hours was my best time.

Spin
    Free Member

Anyone done this kind of thing?

Done it a few times individually and in the race. Either way it’s a good day out. Layering isn’t an issue as you’ll be working hard all the way!

fathomer

We don’t walk often, as I generally want to bike, but we headed up Bowfell on Monday via The Band, Angle Tarn and Rossett Ghyll. I was a bit worried as half the ascent was in the cloud but we where treated to some amazing views at the top.

nostrils
    Free Member

@DavidB, respect, we are aiming for around 20 hours. Doing this with my Dad, just hope his new hip holds out😁

In other news, my girlfriend treated me to some Alpkit carbon trekking poles (subsequently broke on first outing, glue failed on one of the flick lock mechanisms). Never having used them before, I can see how they might be useful with a big pack + uphills and it was cool getting into a rhythm with them on long stretches, but I’m still not sure if I’ll use them regularly. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Decided on no MTBing for the winter so just walking and touring bike. Last week I dug out last winter’s still-caked boots (Lowa Renegade) and gave them a deep clean, conditioner and new laces. They once again look as new as they are (1 x mountain and 1 x Long Mynd)

Next planned walk any time soon is to be Y Mynydd Du/Black Mountain up to Fan Brycheiniog (802m), one of the highest peaks in South Wales, with an option to continue to the next top along the ridge, Fan Foel (781m)

Looking forward to it as have so far only strolled up as far as Llyn y Fan Fach* (“lake of the small hill”) and that was in the snow/wind looking through squinted eyes. It’s an unforgiving, tree-less and windswept place, from memory. Just the ticket for cleaning out the earwax and lockdown headworm. Finger’s crossed I’ll be able to cross the border when the time comes.

https://www.walkingclub.org.uk/walk/the-black-mountain-from-glyntawe/

There’s a very, very old legend about this lake, also recorded in the Mabinogion. I’d really like to go in the evening around the time of this Samhain’s full moon, hopefully see the moon rise and keep eyes peeled for a glimpse of the Tylwyth Teg

slowoldman

Layering isn’t an issue as you’ll be working hard all the way!

What I thought too. Small sac with a light fleece and windproof – unless you intend doing it in inclement weather.

DavidB
    Free Member

@nostrils I used poles for the first time on the Cape Wrath trail and they were a revelation. I found the main benefit on the downhill sections. I’d definitely use them in Wales

Tom-B
    Free Member

I use trekking poles all the time. My knees swell up if I don’t! I often take ‘newbies’ out into the hills…..and invariably end up donating my trekking poles when they’re struggling uphill. Literally all of the have said how much easier it makes things.

I’ve got one Alpkit one and one Karrimor Carbon Trek….I did have two Karimmor Carbon Treks but tripped over myself in the farmers field in Seathwaite and snapped one in half. 3 day hike over 10 Wainwrights and 50km….10m from the finish line (my car) I fell over!

FWIW the Karrimor ones are lighter and more comfy in my hand than the Alpkit one.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, never go without poles now, they’re the dropper post of Hillwalking. 🤫😆

ElShalimo

Poles are great when the path is wide and easy enough. Many UK paths are not pole friendly as they’re too narrow, too steep<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> etc.</span>

duckman
    Free Member

If somebody could tell me how to post pics on here…

fingerbang
    Free Member

somebody could tell me how to post pics on here…

There are different file sharing websites bitt I just use ‘postimage’ just download it then upload an image from your gallery , then copy the ‘hotlink for forum’ and just paste in this message box. Dead easy

fingerbang
    Free Member

Don’t need to download it actually, just register for free on the website

whitestone
    Free Member

Oh, when you upload a photo, make sure you resize it so when you link to it from here everyone else isn’t waiting for one or more 5mB images to download – some sharing sites may do this automatically others, like imgur, don’t.

Also I’ve found that the editor on this site doesn’t like you copying and pasting the [ img ] image address [ /img ] block which works on other forums, you have to click on the img button then paste the “direct link” address into that.

duckman
    Free Member

Thanks folks, will give that a go.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Free Member
    Poles are great when the path is wide and easy enough. Many UK paths are not pole friendly as they’re too narrow, too steep

Depends how you use them IME, alternate strides means path width isnae an issue ie left foot forward right pole forward.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’m new to hiking/hill walking, I only got into it when I got our dog Bert. He’s a mountain hunting dog from Finland so loves big days out. He’s done Snowdon, Scafell and Ben Nevis plus loads of other Munros/Wainwrights/fells etc. Can only do autumn and winter walks though as he overheats.

random coin toss[/url]

Tom-B
    Free Member

Kentmere Horseshoe done. One of my best ever days in the mountains.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFpkh2ZhN77/?igshid=1wo1kr5gylgnf

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

A bit more mundane this but fancy a physical challenge and was thinking of doing Yorkshire 3 peaks but perhaps as a run/walk?on basis that its 23 miles and I can’t run that far over 3 hills but walking could be boring and a long day and perhaps flirting with darkness

We did it in 7hrs 30mins walking briskly and just keeping going, we had 5min stops at ribblehead and old hill inn with pre dropped food. so 6hrs with jogging inbetween should be good. Best thing for us was reccy of routes beforehand. we did a different route off p-y-g , reccied and memorised the great bog crossings so we didn’t break stride, did the old route up whernside (maybe not of any benefit if you’re running as much as poss) and found a couple of little short cuts at the bottom of Ingleborough.

djambo
    Free Member

If you’re after some more inspiration check out Foresty Forest on youtube. A humble wholesome hiker that lives in a tiny van (not your usual #vanlife rubbish) in Canada.

MrSparkle

Ticked off another two Wainwrights on Saturday. Glenridding Dodd and Sheffield Pike. We were going to do Hart Side too but the wind got up and temperature dropped rapidly so we cut short and headed back. Still a good few hours on the hill but I was glad I wasn’t joining the masses trooping up to Helvellyn.

Glenridding Dodd

Yesterday we had a toddle up Arnside Knott and had a look at the remains of Arnside Tower. It’s a really nice area and worth a look. I had a bit of an ulterior motive for this as it was a sneaky recce of part of the Bay Limestone Round route. https://bay-limestone-round.org.uk/

@fingerbang
    – I had great plans to organise a 3 Peaks, 3 Pints Challenge involving necking one (during/after doing the route) in the Station inn, Hill inn and The Golden Lion to finish.

ElShalimo

if you neck a couple of pints en-route it’ll leave you dehydrated unless you’re carrying lots of water with you (I’ve made that mistake before)

benp1

I did the welsh 3000s a couple of years ago on a supremely hot weekend, really struggled with water

I wanted to do the scrambling in the light so camped at the top of the most northerly summit and went south. Went over north face of Tryfan and Bristly Ridge as well, some routes have you going around them. Finished with the Snowdon horseshoe. I was pretty broken at the end of it.

Would love to do it with some company one day, I did it solo (my first ever solo trip i.e. no dog either). Really enjoyed it. Probably my hardest hill trip. Only disappointing thing was finishing on Snowdon, too many people around. As soon as I continued around the horseshoe it got a lot quieter

Daughter’s birthday this weekend, she wants to do some hill walking. Will probably hit the Peak District or Wales. Just before lockdown I spent a couple of nights in the Lakes doing the Langdale Pikes and then some of the Coniston range, absolutely glorious.

Spin
    Free Member

I had great plans to organise a 3 Peaks, 3 Pints Challenge involving necking one (during/after doing the route) in the Station inn, Hill inn and The Golden Lion to finish.

Has the Golden Lion improved any? It’s a few years since I was in but I always found it to be a bit of a dump with an unwelcoming atmosphere and poor beer. In fact the lack of a really good boozer is a major failing for Horton which is otherwise a really nice spot.

chickenman

When I was dead keen on rock climbing, folk who walked up hills were called Bumblies. Now that I am a fully paid up Bumbly I’ve got a bit obsessed with doing munros. I used to have stick like legs and found walking unpleasant, now that they are almost normal in terms of muscle I have no pains at all. I don’t use poles as I like to give my hands and arms a rest after a hard weeks joinery work but I do notice that many folk using poles use them as an aid to walk downhill badly, lowering themselves down onto straightened knee joints…if your quads aren’t screaming at you going downhill you’re doing it wrong!

fingerbang
    Free Member

run/walk?on basis that its 23 miles and I can’t run that far over 3 hills but walking could be boring and a long day and perhaps flirting with darkness

Can I just take that back? Boring is wrong word. Time in the mountains is never boring. I mean I’m doing it solo, it’s a long way and I was thinking of running the less scenic, flatter bits. I feel better now

Following on from an earlier post, I might just do a very brisk walk the whole way as I won’t be drenched in (as much ) sweat and can take the mutt (running with an extender lead and constantly having to think about where the line is is a waste of much needed energy). Plus have to think of pooch’s welfare obvs

ElShalimo

@fingerbang – the bit between Pen-y-Ghent and Whernside is mind numbingly boring in both directions. I’ve done it several times and it’s still boring as hell. Some nudist sunbathers or vampire donkeys would liven that stretch up.

swavis

I managed to bag my first 3 Munros of the year yesterday, the nice and easy Cairnwell ones 😎

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Swavis, we were up those 3 a couple of weeks ago, feels like cheating, doesn’t it?! 😃

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A wee lunch at the summit of goatfell on saturday, then on Beinn Bhreac on Sunday.

Must be over 20 times up Goatfell now, will always love that view.

Tom-B
    Free Member

It really was an amazing day to be out yesterday wasn’t it! This weekend is looking slightly less promising!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Some nudist sunbathers would liven that stretch up.

You can guarantee they’ll be fat German pensioners, not Elle Macpherson. I’ve done the Yorkshire 3 peaks twice and having some tough motivating time targets took the tedium out of it (I’ve done them individually a million times).

When I was dead keen on rock climbing, folk who walked up hills were called Bumblies.

That was why I took up MTB in the early 90’s. In my youth I wouldn’t have been seen dead anywhere other than Lakes, Nth Wales, Scotland, Alps. The Dales was my back yard but only fit for pathetic old ramblers, so instead I bought a mountain bike for that unworthy place. I’ve mellowed quite a bit, was camping and walking in Nidderdale last weekend.

postierich
    Free Member

Went for a hike Sunday as I had a friend visiting so walked up Stickle Tarn Harrison Stickle Pike of Stickle  checked out some line choices on a bike :-)

120331964_10159029640256474_2927980916349156580_n by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr

120415460_10159029640421474_5988480224222799042_n by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr

120363502_10159028587076474_4245932685450034137_o by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr

swavis

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    Swavis, we were up those 3 a couple of weeks ago, feels like cheating, doesn’t it?! 😃

Ha, yes it does! Maybe why it was also so busy. I’ve seen less cars in the car park when the lifts have been spinning with half decent conditions.

tjagain

When I was dead keen on rock climbing, folk who walked up hills were called Bumblies.

Us bumblies called you guys “danglers”

GolfChick
    Free Member

Would like to do more hill walking but ziva is ten in January and being a large breed she is now struggling with her hips and is struggling with anemia right now (yes she’s already being taken care of with vets). So I walk her first thing and again at around five so anything we do needs to fit into that and not have me crippled. Boyfriend is into scrambling but has so far done them solo. So far we’ve done sticks pass, jacks rake, tryfan and crib goch. We’re currently parked up in torridon and were going to do Beinn Alligin traverse tomorrow but we’re due heavy rain and wind so planning on hiding with the projector tomorrow and try for the day after!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,255 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.