Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,201 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • Spin
    Free Member

Also be aware that the coire has a deadly avalanche trap (see bottom of 2nd pic) so watch for cornice collapse at that time of year.

I think the fatal avalanches in Coire na Tulaich have been windslab rather than cornice collapse related. I don’t think that area often builds big cornices and given the relatively low altitude any cornices that did form would be long gone by May. By that time of year any snow that is left will be very stable and not avalanche prone. Still potential slip risk obviously. Most years it’s snow free or easily avoidable by that time.

ElShalimo

It was very cold and windy on the Howgills yesterday but good to get out with friends. (I had 4 layers all day…Brrrr)

Some lovely views when the clouds very briefly lifted

ElShalimo

Anyone got a Mountain Equipment Mission or Vulcan jacket?

I was wondering how they perform on the hill

Tom-B
    Free Member

Got my eye on a Mountain Equipment Makalu currently….it seemed nice in the shop!

Anyone out this weekend? Another weekend of work for me. In the Lakes all of the following weekend though. Long range forecast suggests there may even be some fresh snow to play in. Then heading up to Scotland for Feb half term. We’ll have the skis with us but will also do some winter walking days I’d imagine.

ElShalimo

Given the wind forecast for the weekend I think we’ll pop down to the Dark Peak and go for another cold, cloudy walk

🙃

ElShalimo

ElShalimo

Be careful out on the hills

ElShalimo

The wind abated overnight so we popped over to Dovestones. Mr Wind picked up again around lunchtime. It was cold on the Moors

woody2000

Went up kinder scout from edale yesterday,  it was wild. Perhaps not the best idea with hindsight,  but we all survived 🙂

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ooh nice to see some folks braved it! I went indoor bouldering last night, and have had a very rare day sat mainly watching sport on TV today.

Will hopefully tick a few more Wainwrights next weekend, possibly even in some snow!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Lovely weekend for it 😳

IMG-20220206-WA0007

IMG-20220207-WA0003

IMG-20220207-WA0002

Ticked Stone Arthur and Linmoor Fell to move on to 71 Wainwrights. Debut outing for my Mountain Equipment Makalu, chuffed with it so far.

Spin
    Free Member

A few from last weekend on Liathach. Walked under the corries to get pics then climbed the Northern Pinnacles.

Spin
    Free Member

And a few more. A rare, still, sunny day.

ElShalimo

Great photos @Spin !!

ElShalimo

We had a cracking day on the Fells today

Tom-B
    Free Member

Looks lovely. I cried off a big day around Sca fell as I’m feeling a bit wiped and today was my only day off this week. Seeing the weather and pictures is making me feel like this was a bad choice.

ElShalimo

We went up Whiteless – Wandope – Crag Hill – Gasdale Gill (basically a loop around Grasmoor)

It was lovely when the wind dropped but the wind was  nasty on the tops

Spin
    Free Member

A few from the Fannichs yesterday, full on winter up there with crampons required.

275309776-10159886104839198-5607875800186382660-n

275225011-10159886105129198-137153545773653223-n

275361736-10159886104864198-9129033407734962691-n

ElShalimo

👍

matt_outandabout

Envious! I need a big hill day again.

Spin
    Free Member

A few from Lurgainn Edge on Cul Beag today.

P1030273

P1030282

P1030283

ElShalimo

Wonderful !!

ctk
    Free Member

Sugar Loaf today

View post on imgur.com

matt_outandabout

Today went like this.

Spin
    Free Member

Beinn a’Chearcaill today.

P1030294

P1030304

P1030317

P1030318

P1030325

P1030333

P1030338

matt_outandabout

What a brilliant summit!
    Another one for ‘the list’…

ElShalimo

Anyone got any plans for the weekend?

We’re up in the Dales with friends (no bikes) so I’m sure we’ll walk up something lumpy

Tom-B
    Free Member

Oh yes! Mega day out in the Lake District’s Northern Fells. It was really quiet given the weather, and I worked on a fair few aspects of my ML.

We ticked:

Ullock Pike, Long Side, Carl Side, Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man, Lonscale Fell and Bakestall for 20km in about 6 hours. So 7 new Wainwright’s ticked, but the majority of them felt like book fillers really. Ullock Pike Long Side and Carl Side is just one long ridge, Long Side barely registered at all! Awesome day all the same, I’ll sort a few pictures tomorrow, too tired currently.

ElShalimo

The Dales were lovely this weekend. It felt much warmer than the 18C forecast.

Not many MTBs out on the trails. Plenty of roadies though

Garry_Lager

Had a nice day up Fairfield in the Lakes yesterday – very sunny clear day. Family hike, kids survived but some tired legs all round.

Some poor route-planning from me – we were lacking a bit of match fitness on the big hills so I thought let’s not go up from Ambleside, let’s park up at Kirkstone (474m) and go across from there, make it a bit easier. Ended up being quite a bit harder as should have been obvious from more than a glance at the map. Great day’s walking all the same.

Saw a couple of hardened Lakes riders carrying the bikes up Red Screes (steep) – descent back to Ambleside must be good.

Spin
    Free Member

Nice Dales shots El Shalimo, one thing I miss about living in Inverness is getting to the Dales for a weekend climbing.

I was climbing (mostly) this weekend but got a couple of nice shots of the hills, plus a sea otter and the fire on Gruinard island.

277440911-10159921246409198-4605279362105542830-n

Unto the Lord belongs the Earth
    And all that it contains
    Except the Kyles and Western Isles
    For they belong to MacBraynes

Suilven in the background.
    277439993-10159921246304198-6253591869490962296-n

277562263-10159921246474198-7556943029576275664-n

The Coigach Hills from Opinan.
    277465966-10159921246419198-2449740121272850892-n

Beinn Ghobhlach
    277348695-10159921246574198-2071923386393615470-n

Tom-B
    Free Member

Stunning pictures there @Spin!!

Good to see folks had a nice time out at the weekend. I can’t log into Flickr for some reason, so can sort pics currently…

…sad that after a weekend like the one just gone we appear to have lost the OP as a poster on stw.

Spin
    Free Member

Stunning pictures there @Spin!!

Cheers, I’ve always just been a point and shoot kind of guy but I recently got a better camera (still just a compact) and I’ve started taking a few minutes to do things like crop shots and fix wonky horizons. Nothing fancy but I think it makes a difference.

It’s mostly down to having good weather and the NW highlands as the subject matter though!

ElShalimo

@Spin – great photos. Suilven is one of my best ever days out on the hills

felltop

@spin hope you parked by the log pile, not in the turning area 🤣🤣. Welcome to park in our drive any time, call in for a coffee!

felltop

Duplicate post

Spin
    Free Member

hope you parked by the log pile, not in the turning area

Ha ha, I parked in the turning area but so as not to block anything, the log pile bit looked like people might want in at it. So if you were cursing the **** in the ex British Gas Caddy that was me! Where are you?

felltop

@Spin our drive is between the log pile and turning area, on the left. In the Lakes for a few days, so didn’t need access to the fuel supply!

Spin
    Free Member

Nice to know, I’ll knock on the door next time! Had two great days bouldering and soloing on the cliffs there. The bouldering is excellent but I think I’ll just keep quiet about that. 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We’re up in the Dales with friends (no bikes) so I’m sure we’ll walk up something lumpy

We were at Hutton Roof/Farleton area NR Kirkby Lonsdale last week. Interesting place, full of limestone and gorse. In the sunshine it was more like being in Spain than Yorkshire (or is it in Lakes?)

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.