Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,207 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • boxelder

Nice jaunt along Red Pike, High Stile High Crag on Wednesday while the weather wasn’t pants.
    Sort of decided to walk all the Wainwrights this year (actually started in September)
    Towards Scafell

boxelder

I give up on linking pics from Flickr. 😖

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just click share, copy and paste the link direct, no IMG or anything.

DSC02595-01

boxelder

DSC02592-01

So why have the IMG option on posts? Does it only work with certains ‘hosts’?
    Thanks

Tom-B
    Free Member

Nice one @boxelder

More Wainwright ticking for me this weekend. Did Birkhouse Moor, Helvellyn (via the edges) and Catstye Cam yesterday with an old mate. Fairly hardcore day, a bit warmer than expected so not frozen for crampons. My first ‘proper’ winter mountain day for a few years, so good to see what current kit does and doesn’t work.(Is it possible to ever take too many pairs of gloves when its wet?!)

Stayed at Kirkstone Inn last night and just had an amble up to Stony Cove Pike or Cauldale as I think it’s referred to on the Wainwrights list today with my gf. Good fun in the snow but basically zero visibility.

I’ve also just partly given up on my luddite approach to the outdoors, and ordered a Garmin Instinct Solar (yes I saw the recent thread 😂)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So why have the IMG option on posts? Does it only work with certains ‘hosts’?

God knows mate, I’m a lowly freeloader these days!

Good stuff Tom, sounds cracking. We were supposed to be staying at the old England in bowness next weekend, but Mrs being a nurse means she’s having to work instead. 😬

Spin
    Free Member

A few from An Teallach today.

271666244-10159791370034198-5546204478875030115-n
    271664248-10159791369414198-534182209958424240-n
    271648794-10159791369729198-4646474392357860779-n
    271721665-10159791369604198-4285809094655571304-n
    271670708-10159791369834198-7449668175601466634-n
    271727403-10159791369429198-2607480626922183931-n
    271655900-10159791370109198-4995755916801100849-n
    271700432-10159791369979198-859347225814574270-n
    271743480-10159791369249198-6889476459252854310-n

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah looks alright that @spin 😯

Spin
    Free Member

Yeah looks alright that

Nah it was shit. 🙂

boxelder

Oof, nice! – been wanting to do An Teallach for decades. Used to have a TV programme presented by Hamish McInnes called ‘Duel with An Teallach’ about a fatality/rescue, and the hills looked amazing. Ridden past a couple of times, but must get back.
    Edit: should have known YT would have it –Duel with AT

felltop

Fisherfield and Slioch from Beinn Airigh Charr yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188409984@N06/shares/m1U90c

matt_outandabout

Oh man, I’m so jealous of you guys out.

Our eldest was in Glencoe on Thursday, some amazing pics too…

Tom-B
    Free Member

To be fair Matt the views south of the border weren’t really anything to get excited about this weekend! ….at least we’ve got better pubs to warm up in afterwards though 🤪

boxelder

Fisherfield and Slioch from Beinn Airigh Charr yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188409984@N06/shares/m1U90c

Is that the causeway in the centre of the pic then?

felltop

@boxelder Yes, that’s the causeway at Carnmore.

Spin
    Free Member

@felltop

Don’t suppose you took any photos of the cliffs on the north side of Beinn Airigh Charr? If you did I’d be very interested to see them for a guidebook project!

felltop

@Spin pm sent

Tom-B
    Free Member

Has anybody been out this weekend?

It’s been stunning in the Lakes.

I did a huge loop in the Langdale valley yesterday with the dog. Pike O’Blisco and Bowfell are firmly toward the top of my list of hills I’ve done.

Girlfriend drove up last night and we did Hard Knott today…lovely but fairly short, the drive up Hardknott pass in a 52 plate Renault Kangoo certainly got the heart rate up though!

Just had a sunset wander around Coniston lake. I will definitely get a flickr account and some pictures sorted this week!

rapidrob95
    Free Member

This thread always makes we look forward to the next opportunity for a proper walk… Being based in Oxfordshire somewhat limits hillwalking! What are peoples recommendations for a base for a week of walking in the UK in May/June? Will probably try and book somewhere to sleep (B&B or airbnb) for at least some of the nights, with a bit of wild camping mixed in. Done North and South Wales, and Lakes, although wouldn’t mind going back to the Lakes, but somewhere in Scotland would be nice.

Spin
    Free Member

Has anybody been out this weekend?

Rode in and did A’Mhaighdean yesterday but it wasn’t a classic day for photos.

Tom-B
    Free Member

@rapidrob95 Brotherswater Inn nr Patterdale gives you access to 4 or 5 big days out (can be made smaller obvs) without having to drive. Puts you 10 minutes from Glenridding for Helvellyn access etc and is 15-20 mins to Ambleside (to buy a fleece of course 😂) It’s a great pub/b and b. Also has a campsite etc….we’re there at least one weekend a month in the motorhome.

Langdale valley has some posh hotels and some glamping options. Old Dungeon Ghyll is a Lake District institution. Again gives you access to several classic big mountain days out with no need to get into a car.

Keswick has tons of accommodation options and roads of walking possible there too.

Scotland isn’t really an area of expertise of mine, although we’ve really fallen in love with the Aviemore area for ease of motorhome access to mountains etc.

Spin
    Free Member

What are peoples recommendations…but somewhere in Scotland would be nice.

Somewhere in the North West, it’s like nothing else in the UK. You’ll probably need to do a bit of driving to get places but basing yourself somewhere like Gairloch, Torridon, Shieldaig or Poolewe will give you lots of options.

rapidrob95
    Free Member

How would Gairloch in Mid September sound? Friend of a friend has a holiday let there that’s available in September. Change of plan but what is Scotland like in September?

ElShalimo

Gairloch gives you access to lots of amazing hills. Scotland in Sept can be a big weather gamble just like anywhere in the UK. If it’s good weather it’s amazing up there. Less so if it’s crap. There’s a good cafe/book shop in Gairloch if the weather is grim.

Edit: I’ve had some amazing days on the hills in the NW Highlands in September. Also spent 2 days in a tent hiding from the weather. If you get 3 great days on the hills it’s worth spending the week there

matt_outandabout

Change of plan but what is Scotland like in September?

IME there is often a period of better weather in early September – perhaps the jetstream or some other phenomenon moving annually from summer to winter? Glorious end of summer colours then as well – but not autumn.

rascal
    Free Member

Piggybacking the last post, what’s Scotland likely to be like late April/early May? I’ll be there hoping to do a couple of Munros – most likely Blaven on Skye, and/or Buachaille Etive Mor in Glencoe and/or Beinn Alligin/Liathach (not brave enough) in Torridon…so all west coast. There could be snow left up there so that would probably rule them out – at least the more ‘ridgy’ ones anyway 🙁

Spin
    Free Member

There could be snow left up there so that would probably rule them out – at least the more ‘ridgy’ ones anyway

Actually, ridges are usually first thing to lose snow as they don’t carry much in the first place and are exposed to the sun.

The normal walking routes on all of those hills are likely to be snow free or mostly snow free by late April/Early March. The one most likely to have problematic snow would be the Buchaille on the descent into Coire na Tulaich but even that is fairly unlikely.

rascal
    Free Member

Spin – cheers. That’s the route I’d take up Buachaille.

vmgscot

At the other end of the spectrum to most of you, me and the GF have taken to vigorous walks in the local surrounds recently, nothing mental just Marilyns and Donalds around here. We go for the views…

AnotherGoldsworthy

Corsenscon

Tom-B
    Free Member

We go for the views…

Don’t we all eh!

Langdale last weekend:

20220115_143139

My faithful little pal by the hard step on Crinkle Crag (it’s a very hard step carrying a dog!)

20220115_113858

ElShalimo

@vmgscot – that’s lovely, where is it?

boxelder

Couple more recent days out with the dog. Extended Coledale Round last week
    DSC02602
    DSC02601
    DSC02610

Rannerdale round today
    IMG_20220119_114719-02
    IMG_20220119_121048-01
    IMG_20220119_123724-01

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ooh mega that @boxelder. It’s on my to do list this year.

vmgscot

@ElShalimo the rock thingy (I thinks its an Andy Goldsworthy creation) is on top of a hill just north of Drumlanrig Castle off the A76. The other thingy is the GF 🙂

ElShalimo

Thanks @vmgscot

boxelder

My faithful little pal by the hard step on Crinkle Crag (it’s a very hard step carrying a dog!)

I came down that way recently and the dog (wisely) refused. Had to go back up and around.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Just seen that you’ve added Rannerdale Round pictures. Looks stunning! We did that one in late 2020 but I missed one of the Wainwrights out as I didn’t realise that it was a Wainwright! Steel Fell?

Working this weekend, so wont be out for the first time in a few weeks 😞

boxelder

missed one of the Wainwrights out as I didn’t realise that it was a Wainwright! Steel Fell?

What I call the Rannerdale round isn’t really – it’s up Lads How onto Grasmoor, then Wandope, Whiteless Pike and Rannerdale Knotts.
    If you were there and missed one, it would be Wandope. Very missable, though the fourth highest in that book. Steel Fell is off the west side of Dunmail Raise, near to Helm Crag, Grasmere.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ah right…..I get all of them mixed up quite a lot tbf 😂

Helm Crag, that’s the one, with Gibson Knott and something else I think!

LD
    Free Member

The normal walking routes on all of those hills are likely to be snow free or mostly snow free by late April/Early March. The one most likely to have problematic snow would be the Buchaille on the descent into Coire na Tulaich but even that is fairly unlikely.

This is the top of Coire na Tulaich on 19th May 2018. Probably unusual but always possible. We only lowered the boys that way to add to the adventure, there is a bypass route. Also be aware that the coire has a deadly avalanche trap (see bottom of 2nd pic) so watch for cornice collapse at that time of year.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,207 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.