Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,201 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • matt_outandabout

@dovebiker – that is the problem, it is mean to be a surprise. Ordinarily I would have sent him to try some on. hmmm.

RustyNissanPrairie

I have a pair of thin silk inner socks that I wear under my normal socks on 10+mile stomps.

thelawman

Looking at those last few posts about sock combinations from @thenorthwind & RNP… I’ve never done anything but wear one thin & one thick pair in boots. It’s a habit that came from my dad 50+ years ago. It’s the default even if just taking the dogs out for a mile or two on a weekday in a pair of approach shoes. Doesn’t everyone do the same?
    For running, I have a pair of 1000-Mile brand socks which are double layer, presumably for exactly the same blister-reduction reasons.

thenorthwind

Wouldn’t usually occur to me to wear two pairs of socks, unless for warmth, since I don’t usually get blisters. For most of the year they would make my feet too hot, which I find really uncomfortable, and would make blisters more likely.

slowoldman

Crampons advice please.

Petzl here, model before the Vasak I think. It has a step in system in the heel rather than a lever (your heel goes in first rather than your toe). They seem to have dropped that though it works fine for me. Highly recommend Petzl, they know what they’re doing. Mrs. Slow has a pair of conventional rear lever DMMs which are also very good.

Both on Scarpa Manta M4s (B2).

slowoldman

Socks. I wear Bridgedale Coolmax inner socks over Thorlo hiking socks in normal 3 season boots and switch to Thorlo mountaineering socks in winter boots (again with coolmax inners).

matt_outandabout

A very damp and windy day today as chauffeur.

At the request of mini_oab and mates who felt a good way to spend a Saturday was having a Shehallion on Shehallion…

I think I’m doing ok as a parent with requests like this…

thenorthwind

Looks a bit damp!

Glorious day in the Lakes, particularly the afternoon. Did a loop of Robinson, Dale Head and Hindscarth, Ard Crags and Knott Rigg.

Thin synthetic socks under thinnish merino – no blisters!

Went up Little Mell Fell and Gowbarrow in the dark, to give me a fighting chance of doing a route round Glenridding and another of the Uldale Fells, leaving me with just one Wainwright remaining. Forecast is looking good!

ads678

Took advantage of the warm weather this weekend and took the kids up Helvellyn via Striding Edge on Saturday.

Been a few years since I’ve done any proper hiking, and my old legs don’t like going down anymore!!

matt_outandabout

Nice broken spectre!

ElShalimo

Broken or Brocken?

😜

Spin
    Free Member

318351819-10160424441879198-5639938760440975117-n
    318523131-10160424441739198-2239873721736315013-n
    318320881-10160424441334198-1414369280157958582-n
    318296317-10160424441594198-6326750366585223520-n
    319057975-10160424441269198-7047848754532964770-n
    318483278-10160424441524198-8159535313473795120-n
    319018941-10160424440889198-400126849346262342-n
    319205268-10160424439004198-1700128162378639978-n” alt=”” />

Spin
    Free Member

” alt=”” />

A few from Skye this weekend.

matt_outandabout

😍

ElShalimo

A couple of phone pics from the local moors on Sunday. It was a glorious day

longdog
    Free Member

Any recommendations for ‘walking crampons’ for fairly flexible boots (altberg Bergen’s). I have some ice gripper things for my trainers but they won’t fit my boots (size 13).

Took a fall yesterday about 100m from home after about an 8km walk 🙄 Bruised bionic knee and cut hands, so nothing dramatic.

I’m not going to get other stiffer/mountain boots as my knees are too **** for anything other than Hobbiton type walking.

Spin
    Free Member

Any recommendations for ‘walking crampons’ for fairly flexible boots (altberg Bergen’s). I have some ice gripper things for my trainers but they won’t fit my boots (size 13).

What will you use them for? If it’s icy paths and not big hills Kahtoola Microspikes work well. https://www.climbers-shop.com/snow-and-ice/walking-spikes/kahtoola-microspikes__10905468

If you want a proper crampon for hill walking then Kahtoola KTS will work on the most flexible of boots and are all you will ever need for hillwalking. https://rockrun.com/products/kahtoola-kts-crampon-steel?variant=31461353864

longdog
    Free Member

Cheers, those micro spikes should do with the sizing.

It’s really for frozen estate tracks and natural paths, as well as bits of back roads to get there. Sadly, nothing technical or big days up high anymore.

Spin
    Free Member

t’s really for frozen estate tracks and natural paths, as well as bits of back roads to get there

You might not even need something that agressive then but they definitely work better than the Yaktrax style things with the metal spirals.

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh it’s the size that’s been the issue. I have some rubber we pull on ones with small stud/spikes, but they only just fit my trail shoes, I was wanting something for my actual hiking boots which they won’t fit as they’re much bulkier.

When I’d looked previously it was looking like I was having to buy something like the second items you posted, but with a bar extension were what was going to fit, but yeh, that’s an over kill for what I’m able to do nowadays.

matt_outandabout

We have the Nortec Alpine spikes – they are NOT a replacement for a crampon.

However for general walking and easier hillwalking, they are utterly brilliant. We went with them as they seemed to to fit higher and more depth around the toebox, plus a wee velcro thing to really hold them on well.

longdog
    Free Member

Excellent Matt, cheaper and in yeti size too 😎👍

matt_outandabout

Excellent.

Ours get a lot of use – from local wanders on icy days to proper hill days with ice axes.

matt_outandabout

A picture of my office – top left, under the cloud.

A helpful picture from mrs_oab and eldest_oab on a 21st birthday hillwalk…

Spin
    Free Member

Climbed on Suilven on Friday. Epic amounts of powder in God’s own country.

matt_outandabout

Lovely.

fazzini

Not jealous at all @Spin 😂 that particular mountain is very high on my bucket list. Some amazing pictures on this thread.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Managed Suilven last year but in glorious sunny conditions, not sure I’d have chanced it in those conditions.

Another two Wainwrights for us yesterday, can’t wait until he’s a bit older and we can do some even longer days.

Spin
    Free Member

Should have said, photo is Quinag from Suilven.

RustyNissanPrairie

Forgot to post these from last weekend up Coniston Old Man

Spin
    Free Member

A few from Beinn Alligin on the 23rd.

P1040402

P1040395

P1040392

P1040389

P1040387

P1040385

Spin
    Free Member

And Beinn Dearg yesterday.

Liathach-pano

P1040439

boblo
    Free Member

@spin some cracking conditions there. Whereabouts are you based? Torridon is almost the end of the World for me so short trips are (mostly) out of bounds.

Spin
    Free Member

some cracking conditions there. Whereabouts are you based? Torridon is almost the end of the World for me so short trips are (mostly) out of bounds.

I’m in Inverness so Torridon is daytrippable for me. I fully appreciate how fortunate this makes me!

matt_outandabout

I’m slowly getting to the top of every rise and lump within 10 miles/local to our house. This includes the Ochils, some of the Trossachs and the Forest of Glen Artney.

Today saw us stumble up the half frozen bog that is Ben Clach on the Comrie mountain road. Mediocre to poor walking – stunning views however.

Our lump for the day. The bog was there today – under any normal conditions this would be a very wet hill.

The Forest of Glen Artney, over to Vorlich, Each, Ledi and more.

North across to Chonzie, and to the left/north west I think it’s the Lawers range.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Stunning photos! Managed to drag my 70 year old mum up Holme Fell today, not as huge as some others on here but an achievement for her!

jamiemcf

Bit late to the party with this picture taken mid November. We got our 4½ year old and 21month old up Carnethy. Eldest walked it himself with a good deal of moaning. He likes to remind us of his trip each time he looks out his bedroom window
    2023-01-02_08-17-42

matt_outandabout

Brilliant – both the 70 year old and 4 year old. 👍👍👍👍

boblo
    Free Member

Did you see the Hares on Chonzie?

scotroutes

All the winter gear needed today

Couldn’t tell what was up nor down either!

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.