Maxxis has a growing range of Wide Trail (WT) mountain bike tyres, including several options with the more robust DoubleDown casing. To make sense of the range, we gathered the Aggressor, Minion DHF, Minion DHR II and Shorty in their respective WT DoubleDown outfits, and gave them to our resident rubber-punisher, James Vincent, for a mini-shootout. Over to James.
Billed as an all rounder tyre for those riding at higher speeds in drier conditions on modern mountain bike trails, the Maxxis Aggressor has found favour amongst riders looking for something with a bit more traction out back than a full on semi slick would otherwise afford.
Previously only available as a 2.3in model, the tread pattern hasn’t changed much on this new 2.5in Wide Trail version – things have just been spread out a bit to compensate for the larger casing. It’s still a dual compound tyre, with a softer rubber compound on the shoulder knobs and a very hard compound in the centre for faster rolling.
Maxxis is keeping its cards close to the chest with regards to the actual grades of rubber used, but the tyre is holding up very well and after nearly six months of hard use, the knobs are still looking pretty sharp, with plenty of life left in them.
Maxxis Aggressor Wide Trail DoubleDown Tyre Specs
- All-round tyre suited to hardpack and loose-over-hard trail surfaces, dry conditions
- Size tested: 27.5×2.5in WT
- Actual weight: 1142g
- Measured width 2.45in
- Rubber compound: Dual
- DoubleDown casing (120tpi)
- Also available in 26in and 29in diameters, and 2.3in width
- RRP £69.99
The rest of this review is for members only. If you have an account, please log in. If not, you can get access by registering here for free.
Members get access to exclusive content like this but they also get..
- Fewer ads
- Post comments to stories
- Join in forum discussions
- Sell unwanted kit for free in our Classifieds
- Automatic shop discount on Singletrack merchandise
- Access more members only content
Premier members get more
- Magazine content in print 6x/year post free
- App access to every new issue of Singletrack
- Ad free website
- Big discounts on shop merchandise
- Access downloads like GPX files, PDFs and even iBooks
- Full mag archive access to all Singletrack back issues
Premier membership starts at just 1.99
|Product:||Aggressor 2.5 WT DoubleDown|
|Tested:||by James Vincent for 6 months|